Thread: Boah the Beast: A BW2 Sand Team

Default Boah the Beast: A BW2 Sand Team

It's been a while since I posted a team, and with BoahTar jokingly being declared my clan/guild/team/whatever's "set", I decided to revamp and revive an old Sand team of mine with Boah. The old team did pretty well, but the metagame has changed considerably since I used it last. In light of that, I made several changes to reflect the meta today. Don't think this team's just another OU Sand team though. I made it. That's basically a red flag that there'll be at least something weird about this team...

Tyranitar (Gaea) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    Quiet Nature (+SpA, -Spe)
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 96 SpA / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast

A lot of you probably read this and went "Boah? What's that?". Well, this is Boah. Er, my version of Boah anyway. I'll start with the EV spread, since it's all over the place. It's that way for a reason though. I'll explain:

Boah originally came about in 3rd Gen as a sort of anti-meta T-Tar. It was especially good for killing Blissey, thanks to 101-subs and Focus Punch, but it was also a great way to deal with Skarmory, which didn;t care much about physical Tar back then. Modern-day variants sometimes run Ice Beam for Gliscor instead of Fire Blast, but I kept the traditional Fire move. Most BoahTar these days use Flamethrower for the accuracy, but I've gone for Fire Blast so that I can use fewer SpA EVs to get the job done. This let me invest more in bulk, which is further augmented by the Sand. 40 Atk EVs gives me a guaranteed 2HKO on Max HP, Max Def Bold Eviolite Chansey and an 18.75% chance to OHKO 4 HP / 252 +Def Blissey. I'll take those odds any day, especially since this is a bulky Tar. 252 HP is necessary for 101-subs, which are what make Boah work. As I said, most Boah run Flamethrower, which necessitates more SpA EVs, but 96 +SpA is enough to get the job done with Fire Blast, meaning I can allocate more to my SpD. 20 Spe outspeeds all standard Chansey and Blissey to get my Sub off before they status me.

As far as the moves go, Boah is a SubPuncher. So Substitute and Focus Punch are a necessity. Focus Punch can't hit Ghosts though, so I needed something strong against them. Even though I invested more in SpA, Tar still has a higher Atk stat here so I went for Crunch over Dark Pulse. Finally, Fire Blast was chosen over Flamethrower for the power and Fire Punch because of Skarmory. The Fire move is mainly for torching Skarm, Ferrothorn and Scizor. Fire Blast is also my best option against Gliscor, so it rocks for that too.

Landorus (Hermes) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Timid NAture (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power Ice

The original team ran Physical Landorus, but now its Dream World ability exists. Sheer Force Landorus is awesome. Sand Force was great, but only Earthquake and Stone Edge got the boost. Here, 3 of my moves get a Sheer Force boost and conveniently cancel my LO recoil for me. Earth Power is a great STAB that isn't as good as Earthquake was, but still hits really hard double-boosted, plus STAB as well. 1.5*1.3*1.3 is... Well, I'm not sure off the top of my head, but that's a great multiplier before typing is even considered. Focus Blast is here for Steels mostly. Psychic demolishes Fighting-types and provides me a useful move for Ground resists. Hidden Power Ice is here for Dragons and Gliscor, covering T-Tar's lack of an Ice move.

Heatran (Hephaestus) @ Grass Gem
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    Evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
    - Magma Storm
    - Solarbeam
    - Sunny Day
    - Substitute

I have fallen in love with this Heatran. I used to run Specially-defensive because this team had no real Special tank, although I preferred Flame Charge sets. Then I decided to try this. I found out shortly after that TheFlamingSpade had used this set on one of his teams, which raised my faith in it a hundredfold. It's a nice counter to all 3 other weathers at the same time and it STILL fills my Special tanking needs. Albeit without Lefties, but Grass Gem is necessary. Magma Storm hits hard, though inaccurately, but more importantly it traps whatever it hits. And receives a Sun boost, which rocks. Although that only happens against Sun teams., but Ninetales can't do squat to me besides Hypnosis (hello Sub), nor can most of Sun in general bar Chlorophyll Venusaur and Sawsbuck. Against Rain, I have to predict the switch to Politoed but Heatran outspeeds all but ScarfToed even without investment (and it wants to be slow anyway to win the weather war). Once I get it trapped, Sunny Day and Solarbeam to KO. Heatran laughs at defensive Toed in the sun and OHKOs offensive before it can finish me. Sub makes my life easier.

Ferrothorn (Nemesis) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip

Ferrothorn changed only slightly from the first team to this one. Switching Heatran's set removed my Stealth Rocks, so while this team was originally a semi-Spikestacking team I ditched the Spikes on Ferrothorn for a quicker setup and laughing even more in Sun's face than TrapperTran already does. I always run this or a Spikes variant, I absolutely love this Ferrothorn. Stealth Rock drops a hazard, then I usually T-Wave before Leech Seeding. Unless they're Ground-type, in which case I often just Power Whip. Which, by the way, still does a number on a lot of things.

Reuniclus (Hecate) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast

I love this little guy. It's hard to explain why. Its art is just begging for a hug, I swear. Reuniclus is just really cute to me. And really good. Magic Guard is absolutely amazing, it basically makes this little guy the honey badger of Pokemon, what with its bulk and all. It's changed not at all, this set has proven itself to me time and time and time again. I win more matches because of this than I do because of everything else on the team combined. The EVs go hand in hand with CM setup, maximizing the bulk I'm not boosting. In a nutshell, the idea is I CM up to as high as I can, then rampage with Psyshock and Focus Blast. Recover when necessary. Something this slow can actually sweep, yes, it is possible. Oh, and Magic Guard means I really don't care about the weather at all, or hazards, poison damage, burns, Leech Seed, my LO recoil....

Jellicent (Poseidon) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Water Absorb
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    EVS: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
    - Hydro Pump
    - Shadow Ball
    - Ice Beam
    - Giga Drain

Jellicent was originally chosen to be an offensive monster/spinblocker, but the removal of Spikes sorta diminished its spinblocking needs. SpecsCent is still a totally underrated threat in my opinion though, even in the sand. It's generally run in Rain with Water Spout. But this monster did 51% to Max HP, Max SpD Calm SupportTran with Hydro Pump. In the sun. Who says it needs Water Spout in the rain? Shadow Ball is an alternate STAB that still hurts tons of things. Ice Beam destroys Dragons and Gliscor. Giga Drain is for longevity and is my team's Gastrodon answer. Jellicent also makes a fantastic Rain counter in and of itself, so long as I keep it away from Thunder.
    Last edited by loco1234; 29th March 2013 at 7:18 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Yay another awesome loco team Looks really good and solid, love the team, but why change your own weather? And this heatran fails to do what its usually used for, murdering sun teams. Ninetales and Dragon it can't harm. If you want rain and sun gone, why not put a Latias there, threatens both weathers.

-Rise Against, Survivor's Guilt
    I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Heatran uses the Sun to kill Politoeds. I'll definitely give Latias a shot, I love her as an Ubers weather counter.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

Great team, and very solid, but there's one thing I would like to suggest: Use Rock Polish > Psychic on Landorus. Psychic doesn't exactly provide a lot of coverage, but the speed boost granted by Rock Polish would help you deal with scarfers.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Oh heatran. I kno it's random but grass gem? I think grip claw would be better for a trapper. The reason being that grip claw extends the duration of trapping moves. So it would ensure you can set up properly.
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

Also looking for female dream world moxie heracross and a miltank message me I have many dream world pokemon

Rock Polish seems like a good idea, I'll try it!

On Heatran, the thing is that with no SpA investment at all Solarbeam isn't doing enough. I gave it Grass Gem because with that Solarbeam is going to put a large dent in whatever gets trapped, provided it doesn't resist. And it turns a few useful 3HKOs into 2HKOs. I'll still try Grip Claw (and Binding Band, why not?) but I'll probably leave the gem there because of that. Heatran's only real job is to kill Politoeds.

About Latias: I'm torn. Latias does better against more but makes Politoed a lot harder to deal with. I really like her though, great mon. Testing still very much in progress there.

Grass Gem allows Heatran to secure the KO on Politoed. Keep the gem as you wont be spending many turns trying to eliminate Toed so those extra turns wont really be needed. Haven't rated in awhile but here goes nothing.

I see your favorite CM Reuniclus here hehe.

I do think you have a problem with Sash/LO Alakazam as it outspeeds every member of your team and has the capability of OHKOing/2HKOing every member of your team with hazard support. Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Psyshock or Psychic from something like Kazam is pretty devastating to this team.

Boah, boah, classic set hehe, however I feel like Ice Beam would be a better choice than Crunch for some reason. Lati@s and Ghosts will fear coming into it in the first place fearing a deadly Crunch as common TTar switch ins are basically Skarm, Forry, and Ferro all which get toasted by Fire Blast or the Ground/Flying mons of the Landorus forums and Gliscor. I think Ice Beam would work better allowing you to bait the said 'checks' only to KO them out of the game.

You are pretty slow so things like Scarf Rotom-W will wear you down with repeated Hydro Pumps and Volt Switch/T-Bolts so I'd try something, as mentioned before like ScarfLatios or something. Hits extremely hard with D Meteor while boasting great speed allowing it to outspeed numerous threats like said Scarf Rotom-W or Alakazam.

Goodluck.

Edit: Mean't to add, the Lati@s suggestion should replace Jellicent.

I see your favorite CM Reuniclus here hehe.
    Heh, you know it. I'm thinking about maybe trying a TR set though.

I like the Ice Beam idea, although once someone realizes I have no Crunch Jellicent walls me to the end of existence. I'll still try it though haha

Yeah, I've been wondering about adding a Scarfer. Latios seems like a good fit, I'll try him.

harsh stuff
    i dont understand why everyone says this team is solid as its 6-0ed by agility thunderus, lando i, cm hp ghost keldeo, and most dragons, then at least 5-0ed by salac terra, then mixed ttar, gyarados, mamoswine, heatran, and lando t all put a lot of pressure on the team as they hit at least 4 pokes hard

The main thing i see is the team is one sided, reun, especially cm, speced jelly, and lando i are all one sided and dont do much support, leaving ferro, ttar, and heatran to do all the supporting.
    Tyranna boah is decent now but he`ll always suffer from 4 move slot syndrome as he wants both ice beam and fire blast to beat lando and scizor. Speced jelly is garbo. And weather trap heatran is garbo on a sand team as sand doesnt care about winning the weather, all they care about is ttar smashing celebi and lati@s

I would change jelly to bulky gyarados as he beats most lando i`s (bar physical and the random rock slide ones) and walls keldeo. Next drop psychic on lando i as it hits nothing extra that hp ice or earth power dont hit as hard, bar keldeo and you run from that. Use U turn or sludge wave u turn lets you OHKO celebi and scout, while sludge wave lets him beat rotom w without having to hit twice with focus blast, and beats gyarados easier, tho uncommon. Change heatran to a sp def set to beat lati@s as ttar is going to be more of a terra/scizor bait then a lati check, and try amoongus>ferrothorn as bulky dos and amoongus share strong syenergy, and he further supports lando i and creates set up chances via spore
    I really want to say use TR reun but the only thing that can abuse TR if he dies is ttar, but it provides more offensive pressure and stall breaking potential
    lastly i would consider running ice beam on boah as lando t is becoming a big ttar switch in and it will bait in lando i as its the best chance he can get a rp off

I agree with the above, use U-Turn over Psychic on Landorus, but don't run Rock Polish. U-Turn is so much better for screwing Celebi over and some Latias too.

Current Hunt: Eterna Forest

9,726 REs