Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Cartoons vs. Anime

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Awful.

An improvement from the above but we're still generalizing here.

Quiet! You'll be lynched for that you know.
    I'm pretty sure using 'tend' and 'usually' aren't generalizing.

And it is possible to grow up with anime, ya know? Not everyone is Amerian. So I actually grew up with anime so still, anime all the way.

EDIT: Also, I think some people miss out that anime can be childish. Proof? Just scroll up, click the banner. Then scroll down. Then click Pokemon Anime.

0 Plot, 100% promotion.
    Last edited by OceanicLanturn; 15th May 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Then you are "usually" wrong about that and people will "tend" to correct you about it.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

EDIT: Also, I think some people miss out that anime can be childish. Proof? Just scroll up, click the banner. Then scroll down. Then click Pokemon Anime.
    No one misses out on the fact anime can be childish, it's some people who aren't anime fans that think anime can't be anything else but childish.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I swear that scene from episode 1 is like initiation. It's like "if you're going to watch this show you're going to have to be able to tolerate cute anime girls talking about pretty much anything. If you don't find any enjoyment in that, there's the door." For those looking for a more story-driven series it's good in the way that it weeds them out early on.
    That makes so much sense. I think I actually watched one or two more episodes right after that (my memory's not that great looking back the last couple of years), but I really don't think the show's for me--at least not right now.

Though actually, I looked it up a bit, and I saw that the show got a different director within five episodes. I don't exactly remember what episodes my friend had on DVD that she popped in, but I can distinctly remember a different feel watching the first episode compared to maybe one or two episodes when we were watching. Perhaps with that knowledge, I may give the show another go. I do have it on my "to-watch" list, so obviously I am willing to give it another show. I think I just have to be in the right mood for it. Also, I don't know if I should watch the dub or sub, but I'll figure it out eventually.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I swear that scene from episode 1 is like initiation. It's like "if you're going to watch this show you're going to have to be able to tolerate cute anime girls talking about pretty much anything. If you don't find any enjoyment in that, there's the door." For those looking for a more story-driven series it's good in the way that it weeds them out early on.
    Yeah, it definitely gave the impression of being more interested in testing its viewers than hooking them. The first (broadcast) episode of Haruhi Suzumiya did the same thing, although in a different way.
    Done here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    I'm like 99% sure everyone who dropped Lucky Star dropped it purely because of that scene.
    I actually liked the food scene. It was later stuff that kind of ground on my patience. (as in one of the OVA's since episode 1 is the only episode I saw)

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Fanservice can come in many forms depending on the type of fetish being exploited. Panty shots and breasts are the most common ones, but there are more out there such as feet, blood/violence, and urine. No, seriously. Elfen Lied, a manga/anime that runs on fetishes, has an example of this when Nyu pees on the floor. And of course in the manga, there's a (plot-important) character who wears diapers because she has a weak bladder--and in her introduction, she is shown in a close-up wearing a diaper.

I wish I was making this up, and even then that would still scare me.
    Oh y'see, I was more thinking of blood, but not as a fetish kinda thing, I mean come one, every so often, who doesn't want to see a hateful, bloody fight? I do enjoy fights, I love a good fight (although not a real one of course) there's nothing I like more than someone getting what they deserve, which is usually a kick to the teeth.

you've also given me a few good reasons as to why I shouldn't watch Elfen Lied.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomon View Post
    fanservice isn't just panty shots or boobs, it varies.
    Yeah, I know. That's what I just said
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    It also doesn't always include something sexual. Lucky Star is pure fan service for people that were knowledgeable about anime that came before.
    Ah yeah, there's that kinda fanservice to.
    no they are
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Then you are "usually" wrong about that and people will "tend" to correct you about it.
    nice
    No one misses out on the fact anime can be childish, it's some people who aren't anime fans that think anime can't be anything else but childish.
    Which gets on my nerves a little, but the kinda people who say that, are the kinda people that I don't talk to, or get along with (for other reasons, I'm not that petty)
    Last edited by absolalone111; 16th May 2013 at 8:00 PM. Reason: I messed up with something
        Spoiler:- games I want:

Click the banner to check out my semi-regularly updated chiptune filled soundcloud.

Anyone ever saw Powerpuff Girls Z?

Worst **** ever. Seriously, what an abomination.

Saw a few subbed episodes, but not in a row, I think, I never did go back to rewatch the episodes. I've been thinking about going back to watch it, but I keep holding myself back. I thought it was okay for what it was. The redesigns for the girls I thought was pretty neat, honestly.

Since Powerpuff Girls Z was mentioned, how about Stitch! from Madhouse? Anyone have an opinion on that? I haven't exactly watched the sub past the first episode, I think. It kinda made me stand back a little and go "Wait, what the heck?" when the first scene of the episode opened.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

That was also an abomination. Though the original series wasn't really that good to begin with.

good art though

I thought the original animated series was fun and helped answer a few questions about what the other experiments were. It was one of the few non-Kids WB shows I watched on the weekends on ABC Kids. Its pilot Stitch! The Movie was kinda meh, honestly, though it's more tolerable than Leeroy and Stitch for sure.

I find it odd how Stitch! managed to last for four seasons. I don't know how popular it was in Japan, but apparently Disney probably didn't handle its dub very well or something that it guaranteed its pull off the air after five episodes. Of course, I heard Chris Sanders didn't reprise his role to be Stitch... actually, did the original cast of the aliens dub their roles? *looks* Huh, they didn't. I wonder why. Think that contributed to it being quickly pulled outside of pretty much being an alternative universe?
    I survived Pupa.

I think the main problem with the show was that there were just too many experiments to cover. While it answered some questions, it left others open.

That's true, I remember it feeling a bit exhausting at times. I remember liking the Yin/Yang episode when it first aired, I thought that had some of the best moments in the show. Of course, then again, I didn't always watch it, I've missed a few episodes. (Either that, or they always kept showing repeats, far as I know, they stopped airing new episode after 2003 on ABC Kids.) The designs also seemed to become rehashes of one-another here and there. Which I think was kinda the point as the experiments were pretty much "related" in a way (Jumbaa seemed to recycle DNA or something), but still, they started to look alike pretty quickly with a few exceptions.

Still, I don't see why it is Disney wanted to make an anime. I figured it's because Stitch has been insanely popular in Japan, but I think by 2008, the hype of Lilo and Stitch died down here, so that didn't help.
    I survived Pupa.

Anywho, what do you think of the idea of making cartoons into Anime?

Speaking of which, anyone heard of Saban Moon?

It's pretty risky, honestly, due to cultural differences and the fact that very rarely are the original creators involved with it, meaning the writers can do what they want with it. I mean, it's not like we haven't done that before (games into cartoons anyway), and we've had our share of failures and success (I think more failures than success, though), but so has Japan. I'm sorry to have brought this up, but... Mutant Turtles: Chōjin Densetsu-hen... oh God.

Which leads to your question as it basically hits the same points: no, I haven't heard of it. Probably for good reason, according to what TV Tropes has to say on it. Such an obscure adaptation... it's like if Captain Planet merged with Power Rangers minus the environmental elements with a smidgen of Jem...
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Like Kutie Pie said there have been incidences but they usually go south. The Marvel anime series are a recent example with all of them having gotten horrible reviews from both the otaku and comicbook communities. To clear things up, it's not so much that the original creators aren't involved but it's the fact that the current writers aren't involved enough. Now if the writers were more open to different cultures, were able to brainstorm well, and be willing to keep a broad worldwide audience in mind (Tiger and Bunny does this exceptionally well) then I'm positive something amazing would come out of it. Considering the majority of the Japanese's opinion on the Americans (no offence but you can even see it in their children's programming), a successful collaboration between the two countries isn't going to happen anytime soon.

No less, with all the mature dramas on television along with mature (in terms of content) cartoons, I don't see why they don't adapt a comicbook into a cartoon series aimed towards an older audience? Guess its the clean image they already have with those who aren't invested in the hobby along with all that merchandise for kids' in the stores. Anyone down for replacing all those crummy Batman toys with actual comicbooks?
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 23rd May 2013 at 9:47 AM. Reason: grammar
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

The first examples that come to my mind were all fairly terrible.

Iron Man, I would have liked it a lot less if Iron Man wasn't my favourite super hero.
    Blade, was garbage.
    X-Men, much like Blade, garbage.
    Wolverine, once again, garbage.
    Powerpuff Girls Z, hey look, more garbage.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Anyone ever saw Powerpuff Girls Z?
    More like who didn't bleach their eyes after watching it.

As for making cartoons into anime, it can work. It hasn't but it can. Simple as.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Iron Man, I would have liked it a lot less if Iron Man wasn't my favourite super hero.
    Iron Man's not near my favourite superhero but I liked the anime for what it was.

One thing I notice of Animation of both mediums (back in the day mostly) is that a lot of Anime had the characters almost move like robots compared to a lot of cartoons that were very expressive with the character's mannerisms.

Since Powerpuff Girls Z was mentioned, how about Stitch! from Madhouse? Anyone have an opinion on that? I haven't exactly watched the sub past the first episode, I think. It kinda made me stand back a little and go "Wait, what the heck?" when the first scene of the episode opened.
    A friend of mine was telling me that there was a lilo and stitch anime, and I thought he was just winding me up/ having a joke.
    That was also an abomination. Though the original series wasn't really that good to begin with.

good art though
    Jb confirmed for bad taste

Click the banner to check out my semi-regularly updated chiptune filled soundcloud.

One thing I notice of Animation of both mediums (back in the day mostly) is that a lot of Anime had the characters almost move like robots compared to a lot of cartoons that were very expressive with the character's mannerisms.
    It's like you said: cartoons with a bigger budget can have smoother character animation. When it comes to design, cartoons go more for simplicity, while anime focuses on detail. And it's because of detail that anime will have limited animation at times (and to be honest, it's cheaper to have limited animation). But all cartoons have this formula where the key animators draw the key movements, and they pass it along to the in-between animators to fill in the two-three animation frames, sometimes almost like blobs. Really, try watching an animated show (or hell, a traditionally-drawn animated movie) frame-by-frame, and you'll see some sloppy-looking models for about a couple of frames depending on how fast they were moving. In a way, it's to represent motion-blur, but they do look out of place compared to the more clean-cut models.

Movies in the meantime strive for the smooth animation because of its bigger budget, and also because it looks professional. (Not that cartoons don't look professional, but some of them you can tell the animators just didn't care.)
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by absolalone111 View Post
    Jb confirmed for bad taste
    my taste buds aren't even in their final form yet

Movies in the meantime strive for the smooth animation because of its bigger budget, and also because it looks professional. (Not that cartoons don't look professional, but some of them you can tell the animators just didn't care.)
    *Didn't have the budget.
    my taste buds aren't even in their final form yet
    Waiting for the final form.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast