Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Cartoons vs. Anime

What about Cartoons like Batman TAS, Cybersix, and others written in America (or other places) but animated in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    One thing I notice of Animation of both mediums (back in the day mostly) is that a lot of Anime had the characters almost move like robots compared to a lot of cartoons that were very expressive with the character's mannerisms.
    All comes down to character designs. The more simplistic an art-style is the easier it is to animate. If you want a current example (using the same characters no less) compare Ultimate Spider-man to Spectacular Spider-man. Cheeks' artwork...so good...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

What about Cartoons like Batman TAS, Cybersix, and others written in America (or other places) but animated in Japan?
    My favourite cartoon as a kid before I was introduced to the wonderful world of anime was the Centurians, which was animated by Sunrise. Maybe it was a sign of things to come?
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I figure that as long as the original studio/company like Warner Bros. that produces the script, it's still an American cartoon. Otherwise Animaniacs and SpongeBob would be considered Korean cartoons. Rankin/Bass' The Hobbit and I think also The Last Unicorn were animated by Japanese animators (who would go on to work at Studio Ghibli), but it's not exactly considered Japanese. It's just that it's paying animators out-of-country is cheaper--most animated cartoons these days aren't animated here in America, they're out-sourced to other animation companies. Which is stupid because what about us aspiring animators? I want that job, dammit!

*cough* But yeah, that is an otherwise good question, but Batman TAS and other Warner cartoons are still considered Western otherwise.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I figure that as long as the original studio/company like Warner Bros. that produces the script, it's still an American cartoon. Otherwise Animaniacs and SpongeBob would be considered Korean cartoons. Rankin/Bass' The Hobbit and I think also The Last Unicorn were animated by Japanese animators (who would go on to work at Studio Ghibli), but it's not exactly considered Japanese. It's just that it's paying animators out-of-country is cheaper--most animated cartoons these days aren't animated here in America, they're out-sourced to other animation companies. Which is stupid because what about us aspiring animators? I want that job, dammit!

*cough* But yeah, that is an otherwise good question, but Batman TAS and other Warner cartoons are still considered Western otherwise.
    Thanks but I wanted to know the difference between the likes of TMS animating a cartoon like Batman and an Anime (like Lupin or Conan).

The difference is that one is written by an American company and the other isn't.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

That's not the case all the time. Take Monsuno for example. It's done by both.

What does that have to do with Batman, Conan, and Lupin?

I didn't notice you were replying to the previous post due to the context of your post.

I blame my 20 post per page set up. Yours is right at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    What does that have to do with Batman, Conan, and Lupin?
    I was talking about ANIMATION.

I was talking about ANIMATION.
    In that case, it's a stupid question and it's probably the reason no one replied to you. There is no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I didn't notice you were replying to the previous post due to the context of your post.

I blame my 20 post per page set up. Yours is right at the top.
    I have that to but it just showed up on the same page for me. I'll quote next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    In that case, it's a stupid question and it's probably the reason no one replied to you. There is no difference.
    You mean like in frame rate, fluidity, etc.? Because comparing Batman TAS to Anime of that time, there's a difference.

You mean like in frame rate, fluidity, etc.? Because comparing Batman TAS to Anime of that time, there's a difference.
    You mean things that revolve around the budget and the director's personal decisions? Seriously?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112