Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartoons vs. Anime

I don't know.

To me, Anime indicates a particular visual style used and developed in Japan; western animation could be anything from Mel-O-Tunes to The Thief and The Cobbler to Disney to the Fleischer Bros.

I might like Anime better than Filmation's work, but I can't say that it's better than everything the west has to offer.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Honestly, with these last two seasons of anime, the fanservice has been lacking. At least, that's what it seems like. There haven't been many ecchi shows lately.
    Honestly, fanservice (when obligatory as hell) tends to get in the way in immersing yourself in the Anime's story. That's a point I'll give to cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Not understanding how declaring that one form of animation is superior to another is a racist idea at all
    "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times

inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"
    Strawman

Yes, but this is about the animation form. No race involved

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Depends on the show. The Japanese should tone down their fanservice though. It's painful to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Honestly, fanservice (when obligatory as hell) tends to get in the way in immersing yourself in the Anime's story. That's a point I'll give to cartoons.
    It gets in the way of a lot of things that could be really good... cf. episode 1 of Maoyuu at least. There's some dense metafictional content, but the fanservice is extremely overbearing.

It depends on the show. If that's the point of the show, obviously it needs to be there, but many times it just becomes annoying and detracts from any interesting content.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

No just... no
    Well maybe not better than anime,but the 90s stuff was pretty d*mn good.

Fanservice can also make shows just terrible, just like Eiken.

inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"
    You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Strawman

Yes, but this is about the animation form. No race involved
    Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.
    Yeah, this isn't Something Awful.

Being a weeaboo basically means you're a racist, and goes deeper than "you like anime."

And for reference, just liking anime doesn't make you a racist.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 3rd April 2013 at 2:59 AM.

The usual links

Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.
    Okay, what are the slang terms for those? Les dessins animé? Je suis comique, non?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    It gets in the way of a lot of things that could be really good... cf. episode 1 of Maoyuu at least. There's some dense metafictional content, but the fanservice is extremely overbearing.
    That fanservice was literally like 14.5 seconds out of 23mins of animation.

Why would anyone do this.

Was SAO "much hated"?
    Yeah. Not as much around here but in other places, oh boy.
    SAO is hated by the vocal minority, you just have to look at things like it's average ratings on most anime sites, and the sales it generates to see that.
    My Anime List

Fanservice can also make shows just terrible, just like Eiken.

Eiken is just ridiculously stupid. It's 100% fan service

Thank you

Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again
    Last edited by Sweet May; 3rd April 2013 at 4:39 AM. Reason: no double posting please =]

Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again
    If your opinion was that it's better purely because its anime, than I could see how that's racial, that's basically saying it's better because it's Japanese.
    My Anime List

That fanservice was literally like 14.5 seconds out of 23mins of animation.
    No it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you over this, because it's not on-topic. However, it's still lengthy, overbearing, obtrusive and pointless.

Even if it weren't lengthy and overbearing, it would be obtrusive and pointless.

The usual links

If your opinion was that it's better purely because its anime, than I could see how that's racial, that's basically saying it's better because it's Japanese.
    My opinion is that anime as a whole > cartoons overall. I realize that not all anime is great an there are bad anime series as well as the fact that there are cartoons out there that are quite good. I said this in my first statement

Korea makes some pretty good anime too, ya know

To be fair, there are also plenty of pointless things in cartoons as well
    Last edited by Elnava; 3rd April 2013 at 3:47 AM.

Korea makes some pretty good anime too, ya know
    Slang not style, the fanboys be raging!

Okay, change of topic. Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?

No it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you over this, because it's not on-topic. However, it's still lengthy, overbearing, obtrusive and pointless.

Even if it weren't lengthy and overbearing, it would be obtrusive and pointless.
    Nah, you're right. It's around 24 seconds. Some dude on MAL did the math.
    Criteria
    -Any SEGMENTS, that focuses on the obnoxious jiggling/movement of the breasts for over than 1 second is counted as fanservice
    -Cleavage Area Close up that's under 1 second is not counted for
    -Breast Movement that was caused naturally by character movement is not counted for

Results:
    "SEGMENTS" = Time = Total Duration
    1st = 3.45 - 3.50 = 5 secs
    2nd = 4.33 - 4.34 = 1 sec
    3rd = 15.24 - 15.26 = 2 secs
    4th = 15.28 - 15.30 = 2 secs
    5th = 18.24 - 18.32 = 8 secs

In total
    5 Segments that only took 24 seconds of the whole episode....
    I disagree on it being obtrusive and pointless as well. It was in the original source, and sets up the "useless meat" jokes in the series. Which is development for Maou and Hero's relationship. It's also pretty much nonexistence after the second episode.

I'm not necessarily trying to argue the anime, just that fanservice doesn't take away from the stories as much as people claim. Most of the time, the story was bad to being with. Like School Days.

Also...

Megas XLR is the perfect example of a cartoon being being better than it's anime counterpart. Hell, it's better than just about any mecha anime.

@Para: In Naruto's case, it's because it sucks ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?
    Naruto anime is just bad, the movies are no exception. Something like Gintama, however had a great movie, the One Piece movies were fairly well received as well, going outside the shounen scene, K-ON's movie had a great reception.
    My Anime List

Also...

Megas XLR is the perfect example of a cartoon being being better than it's anime counterpart. Hell, it's better than just about any mecha anime.
    Nope. Well, not entirely. Then again, I guess that's not entirely what Megas was going for.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 3rd April 2013 at 4:18 AM.

The usual links

@Para: In Naruto's case, it's because it sucks ****.
    I know that, just using it for the sake of an example.

Naruto anime is just bad, the movies are no exception. Something like Gintama, however had a great movie, the One Piece movies were fairly well received as well, going outside the shounen scene, K-ON's movie had a great reception.
    Mmm...guess I need to get outside more?

SAO is hated by the vocal minority, you just have to look at things like it's average ratings on most anime sites, and the sales it generates to see that.
    I did some research on some popular anime rankings and it seems you're right. It's nothing chart-topping in rank but it's not low either. From what I've seen on internet forums there was a strong discontent with the series so I assumed that was the majority.

You keep calling strawman while I'm directly rebutting your point, only use that term if you know what it means. Anime means it's from Japan. Anime is Japanese. Saying anime is superior is saying that the Japanese are superior at animation. Saying one race is superior to another is racist. I don't know how to make this more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Slang not style, the fanboys be raging!

Okay, change of topic. Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?
    Do you mean the live action anime movies like Dragon Ball evolution? Cuz they SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK

Do you mean the live action anime movies like Dragon Ball evolution? Cuz they SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK
    ...scroll up...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast