Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 288

Thread: Cartoons vs. Anime

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    330

    Default

    I don't know.

    To me, Anime indicates a particular visual style used and developed in Japan; western animation could be anything from Mel-O-Tunes to The Thief and The Cobbler to Disney to the Fleischer Bros.

    I might like Anime better than Filmation's work, but I can't say that it's better than everything the west has to offer.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Honestly, with these last two seasons of anime, the fanservice has been lacking. At least, that's what it seems like. There haven't been many ecchi shows lately.
    Honestly, fanservice (when obligatory as hell) tends to get in the way in immersing yourself in the Anime's story. That's a point I'll give to cartoons.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Not understanding how declaring that one form of animation is superior to another is a racist idea at all
    "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times

    inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"
    Strawman

    Yes, but this is about the animation form. No race involved
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Depends on the show. The Japanese should tone down their fanservice though. It's painful to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Honestly, fanservice (when obligatory as hell) tends to get in the way in immersing yourself in the Anime's story. That's a point I'll give to cartoons.
    It gets in the way of a lot of things that could be really good... cf. episode 1 of Maoyuu at least. There's some dense metafictional content, but the fanservice is extremely overbearing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times
    It depends on the show. If that's the point of the show, obviously it needs to be there, but many times it just becomes annoying and detracts from any interesting content.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    It doesn't matter.
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    No just... no
    Well maybe not better than anime,but the 90s stuff was pretty d*mn good.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times
    Fanservice can also make shows just terrible, just like Eiken.

    inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"
    You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Strawman

    Yes, but this is about the animation form. No race involved
    Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.
    Yeah, this isn't Something Awful.

    Being a weeaboo basically means you're a racist, and goes deeper than "you like anime."

    And for reference, just liking anime doesn't make you a racist.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 3rd April 2013 at 2:59 AM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.
    Okay, what are the slang terms for those? Les dessins animé? Je suis comique, non?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    8,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    It gets in the way of a lot of things that could be really good... cf. episode 1 of Maoyuu at least. There's some dense metafictional content, but the fanservice is extremely overbearing.
    That fanservice was literally like 14.5 seconds out of 23mins of animation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times

    inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"
    Why would anyone do this.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Was SAO "much hated"?
    Yeah. Not as much around here but in other places, oh boy.
    SAO is hated by the vocal minority, you just have to look at things like it's average ratings on most anime sites, and the sales it generates to see that.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Fanservice can also make shows just terrible, just like Eiken.



    You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.
    Eiken is just ridiculously stupid. It's 100% fan service

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.
    Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again
    Last edited by Sweet May; 3rd April 2013 at 4:39 AM. Reason: no double posting please =]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again
    If your opinion was that it's better purely because its anime, than I could see how that's racial, that's basically saying it's better because it's Japanese.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    That fanservice was literally like 14.5 seconds out of 23mins of animation.
    No it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you over this, because it's not on-topic. However, it's still lengthy, overbearing, obtrusive and pointless.

    Even if it weren't lengthy and overbearing, it would be obtrusive and pointless.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    If your opinion was that it's better purely because its anime, than I could see how that's racial, that's basically saying it's better because it's Japanese.
    My opinion is that anime as a whole > cartoons overall. I realize that not all anime is great an there are bad anime series as well as the fact that there are cartoons out there that are quite good. I said this in my first statement

    Korea makes some pretty good anime too, ya know

    To be fair, there are also plenty of pointless things in cartoons as well
    Last edited by Elnava; 3rd April 2013 at 3:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Korea makes some pretty good anime too, ya know
    Slang not style, the fanboys be raging!

    Okay, change of topic. Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    8,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    No it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you over this, because it's not on-topic. However, it's still lengthy, overbearing, obtrusive and pointless.

    Even if it weren't lengthy and overbearing, it would be obtrusive and pointless.
    Nah, you're right. It's around 24 seconds. Some dude on MAL did the math.
    Criteria
    -Any SEGMENTS, that focuses on the obnoxious jiggling/movement of the breasts for over than 1 second is counted as fanservice
    -Cleavage Area Close up that's under 1 second is not counted for
    -Breast Movement that was caused naturally by character movement is not counted for

    Results:
    "SEGMENTS" = Time = Total Duration
    1st = 3.45 - 3.50 = 5 secs
    2nd = 4.33 - 4.34 = 1 sec
    3rd = 15.24 - 15.26 = 2 secs
    4th = 15.28 - 15.30 = 2 secs
    5th = 18.24 - 18.32 = 8 secs

    In total
    5 Segments that only took 24 seconds of the whole episode....
    I disagree on it being obtrusive and pointless as well. It was in the original source, and sets up the "useless meat" jokes in the series. Which is development for Maou and Hero's relationship. It's also pretty much nonexistence after the second episode.

    I'm not necessarily trying to argue the anime, just that fanservice doesn't take away from the stories as much as people claim. Most of the time, the story was bad to being with. Like School Days.


    Also...

    Megas XLR is the perfect example of a cartoon being being better than it's anime counterpart. Hell, it's better than just about any mecha anime.

    @Para: In Naruto's case, it's because it sucks ****.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    765 Productions
    Posts
    4,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?
    Naruto anime is just bad, the movies are no exception. Something like Gintama, however had a great movie, the One Piece movies were fairly well received as well, going outside the shounen scene, K-ON's movie had a great reception.
    My Anime List

        Spoiler:- My Claims:

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Also...

    Megas XLR is the perfect example of a cartoon being being better than it's anime counterpart. Hell, it's better than just about any mecha anime.
    Nope. Well, not entirely. Then again, I guess that's not entirely what Megas was going for.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 3rd April 2013 at 4:18 AM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    @Para: In Naruto's case, it's because it sucks ****.
    I know that, just using it for the sake of an example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Naruto anime is just bad, the movies are no exception. Something like Gintama, however had a great movie, the One Piece movies were fairly well received as well, going outside the shounen scene, K-ON's movie had a great reception.
    Mmm...guess I need to get outside more?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    SAO is hated by the vocal minority, you just have to look at things like it's average ratings on most anime sites, and the sales it generates to see that.
    I did some research on some popular anime rankings and it seems you're right. It's nothing chart-topping in rank but it's not low either. From what I've seen on internet forums there was a strong discontent with the series so I assumed that was the majority.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again
    You keep calling strawman while I'm directly rebutting your point, only use that term if you know what it means. Anime means it's from Japan. Anime is Japanese. Saying anime is superior is saying that the Japanese are superior at animation. Saying one race is superior to another is racist. I don't know how to make this more clear.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Slang not style, the fanboys be raging!

    Okay, change of topic. Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?
    Do you mean the live action anime movies like Dragon Ball evolution? Cuz they SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Do you mean the live action anime movies like Dragon Ball evolution? Cuz they SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK
    ...scroll up...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •