Thread: Are Speed natures a better choice than offensive natures?

Default Are Speed natures a better choice than offensive natures?

Since I learned about natures (what must have been five years or more), I was used to prefer offensive natures. To be more specific, Modest and Adamant have always been my favorite and is probably the most required natures as I could notice in the RMT threads. However, lately, I am trying to effort a little more on Speed. Since having around +30 points on Attack or Special Attack is such a nice thing, if your Pokemon's Speed is higher than foe's, then it attacks twice as long as foe will attack once (at least most of the times it'll be like this). Unless the move is super effective or from a sweeper into a glass 'mon, then thanks to Speed your Pokemon allowed to attack twice, or even three times in rare cases.

So, post your opinion whether competitively you prefer offensive natures (the ones that raise Attack or Special Attack) or Speed natures (every that rasies Speed).

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    To be more specific, Modest and Adamant have always been my favorite and is probably the most required natures as I could notice in the RMT threads.
    It's not always the case, raters always suggest a +Speed Nature as well whenever possible.

In fact, if your set has an Attack/SAtk boosting move, then a +Speed Nature will always be the one that's being suggested.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Most of the time yes, Speed natures are more important than Offensive ones. Many of the popular Pokémon used in competitive play are meant to hit hard and not last that long (and even if they are, Super Effective moves often take them out in one hit anyway, unless we're talking about a Wall/Tank), so going first could mean the difference between losing and winning. But of course, that depends on the Pokémon still; some Pokémon just won't be faster than anything no matter the nature of amount of EVs you pour in, so for those you could say investing in Speed is a waste.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | Boktai |

It depends. If you are using something like Jolteon or Aerodactyl than they have quite enough speed in my opinion. And if it is something like Slowking or Tyranitar than the speed boost won't make that much of a difference.

Depends on the Pokemon...

Jolly Breloom is still outsped by many things...

Speed natures are useful, but I wouldn't say most imPortant
    It depends on the Pokemon. If something is scarfed, use an attack nature. If it's banded or spec'd, go with a speed nature. If it has an attack boosting move like SD, go with speed and if it has agility/rock polish, go with attack. If the poke is generally slow, go with attack and if it's naturally fast, go with attack too. If it has Dragon dance or quiver dance, go with either.
    FC (White): 1248-9416-2795
    3DS FC: 1633-4254-1939
    Friend Safari: (Rock) Dwebble, Macargo, Barbaracle
    PM me if you want a battle or trade

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    What? You don't feel the testosterone rush through your veins when you look at Machamp's large, manly pecs?

I agree with Shine. A Pokemon like Gengar or Jolteon that's really fast get Timid and EV train it's speed and sp.atk. You need to do whatever you can to get the advantage over you're opponent. If you don't IV breed you're Pokemon chances are even with Timid fully EV'd you won't go first if that Pokemons got the same speed or close to the same speed as you.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club