Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a Pokemon Master?

Default What's a Pokemon Master?

Nintendo never really explained what it was so In your opinion, What do you think a Pokemon Master is?

I think a Pokemon master is somebody who has:

-Captured all pokemon of ALL generations
    -Beat every single Champion and Gym Leader of each region
    SonicLife is my name, And Burning way past cool is my game!

To me, a Pokemon Master is simply someone who is determined.
    Someone who believes that they will achieve, they will be the best.
    Not just completing a Pokedex, or filling a PC box, or beating someone who is higher ranked than you, but just friending Pokemon and being about to go on adventures without fear of being held back of letting anyone stop you.
    ~Working on getting a sig~

The concept of 'Pokemon Master' was intentionally left ambiguous by Game Freak so that it would be up to the specific player's interpretation. I think that being a Pokemon Master is when you complete the National Dex and get the diploma. That is the most widely recognized 'ultimate goal' of the franchise, and it's difficult to achieve, whereas beating the Champion is required for the main storyline and is designed to be possible without too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    Someone that can sweep teams with a Magikarp.
    That's actually surprisingly doable, considering Bounce leaves Magikarp protected half of the time.

Sunkern is hard.

Ayway, like Inferno stated, it's ambiguous to the player.

I myself like to believe it's to finish every storyrelated thing in every game, ginish the Browser/Pokédex/Gallery/Book of Friendship, and well, have fun :P

Well, a Master's gotta know what s/he's doing. S/he's got to know how Pokemon work, and has to be fascinated with every facet of the Pokemon World. And strategy. He can't just use Flamethrower on a Swampert (unless, of course, ...). It helps to have battled, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

In the games, I guess it would be being the champion And completing the pokedex. You could also then factor competitive in though which is a whole added factor.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

To me a Pokemon Master is someone who is very tough to beat. Like Cynthia, or Alder. I don't necessarily think you need to catch ALL of the Pokemon but I think you should have a few, especially the main 6 of your team.
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

I think that a Pokemon Master is somebody that is the best when it comes to battling and understanding the hearts of pokemon as well. It's not necessarily "catching them all" that makes a pokemon master though. To catch a pokemon all you have to do is press a few buttons. that doesn't really make a pokemon master, it depends on each person.

Being a Pokemon Master in my view is a status you acquire when you become the best trainer in the whole world (or Universe). It doesn't require that you win any league, any champion. Because you're the master, you have the best Pokemons to win everyone and you're also strongest of all. Master isn't about good or bad, so a Pokemon Master can be either a hero or the villain.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 30th March 2013 at 11:04 PM.

For me it's anyone who got a pokemon. He's the master / pokemon master of that pokemon.
    "Each person's life is lived as a series of conversations." choosehottubsdirect.com

For me, a Pokemon master has a strong personality, one who believes in his Pokemon the most, and one who has acquired all badges and beat all leagues across the regions.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

A Pokemon Master, in my opinion, is someone extremely experienced and hard to beat in a battle. Completing the Pokedex never hurts, either.
    3DS FC: 3952-7298-4616

† I am a Christian and proud of it!†

To me, it's always been to beat the Pokemon League.
    For example, Ash WAS a Pokemon master when he beat Drake of the Orange League.
    Wish I could say the same for the other leagues he participated in. and since he defaults back to ten years old for each passing generation, all his previous credibility is meaningless.
    Anyways, I guess some could argue that being a Pokemon master is to catch 'em all, which I can see being a valid argument. That is the slogan of the show, after all. It's just funny how Ash has only a mere 10% of the Pokedex completed, nationally speaking.
    I digress.
    Under Construction

There are various interpretations of what a Pokémon master really is, for example Lance calls Red a Pokémon master for simply overcoming the Elite Four, the handbook claims that Pokémon masters are those who are able to capture the most powerful pokemon...Mewtwo, while others could say its all about collecting every single Pokémon to date. In Leymans terms a Pokémon master is simply an individual who has mastered every aspect in the pokémon universe and feels that they know enough to not have to know/do anything more about Pokémon.

examples: steven stone, wallace, cynthia, etc. they're all really well known as powerful trainers. have you ever noticed how even when you're the champoin, no one knows who you are?
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

Quote Originally Posted by shadorai View Post
    examples: steven stone, wallace, cynthia, etc. they're all really well known as powerful trainers. have you ever noticed how even when you're the champoin, no one knows who you are?
    There's certainly some instances in the games where you're recognized as the Champion, or at least as a guy who won the Pokemon League (IE E4+Champ challenge). Then again, generally speaking, post-credits plot points are typically considered not in continuity.

EDIT: TLDR Pokemon Master is mostly an anime thing and Nintendo and co use it a lot in their marketing. But it isn't used in the games so I've always just assumed it is an anime thing mostly. I think it is similar to someone saying "I wanna be the best basketball player in the world!" or the best doctor or best whatever. There is no proper way to become the Best Basketball Player. Sure, you can win an MVP in a given year or win an Olympic medal and all types of jazz, but none of that 100% certainly makes you the Best.

I really don't think catching every Pokemon has anything to do with it. Catching is hard, but really, that's just a numbers game. That doesn't really show any skill besides that you know how to throw a PokeBall
    Last edited by randomspot555; 16th April 2013 at 3:55 PM.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I think a pokemon master sets their own unique mark on the world of pokemon, and decide for themselves what their ultimate goal is: Pokedex, strongest trainer, most pokemon, exc. .
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

What's a Pokemon Master
    from the name u can say that the most important thing in the life of a Pokemon Master is Pokemon...this is an interresting forgotten detail
    To be a pokemon Master u have to have time, patience,Money,Luck and finally the most important thing is : Smartness

to be able to enter the pokemon world u firstly need pokemon games and their consols....which needs money...rare people get'em all...i find it essential

then u have to raise ur pokemon knowledge to the maximum...u have to know each pokemon's type,know almost all their base states,caught'em all at least in one generation without forgetting the new discoveries on each one, u also have to know their weakness , powers, ABILITIES ! , the most important things in their movepools etc....brieffly u have to know much about every single pokemon

after u do that u can enter the most amazing section of Pokemon...which is the world of brain battles under the cover of a POKEMON BATTLE
    the smartest,then the most aknowledged , then the luckiest shall win
    let me translate
    the smartest = skills of each trainer...predictions , tricks, battling style r all related to that....i give Skills 40% of the pokemon battle Mastering
    then knowledge...the more u know the better u know ur opponent...what moves can his pokemon have, what r the best to chose in the tier u play, and finally the most important thing is KNOWLEDGE is ur team....how perfect can ur team be...if it's even considered good...how much can u master ur own team....exactly how each pokemon has an ability....each team has one aswell...won't get in the details though , i give Knowledge 35% of the pokemon BATTLES mastering
    and finally ...the thing no one can control....LUCK.....30% is accorded to luck
    one can use luck for his advantage by making a perfect team...which is a probability that tries to reach "0" in other words it's almost impossible to build a perfect team...in consequences u can't control luck

according to me...pokemon battles mastering if the most important goal to achieve to be a pokemon master...since it includes many other important things...such as the soul and the respect of a trainer to himself and other ones

the best pokemon battling Masters r :
    1 Lance (pokemaster forever who has posted before me)
    2 Ito1996 (A decent pokemon battler)
    3 Dangerous36M (another decent pokemon battler)
    4 Ray Rizzo a winner of many world tournament but in the third most important tier

i have a big list but won't just name everybody

Finally other than the huge amount of love for pokemon.....i consider the STORY one more element to the pokemon mastership
    and by the STORY i mean the story of the game, the Manga and the Anime...u have to know the whole story of pokemon all in all

i would just gain the attention about one thing....A Pokemon Master isn't the higest rank of pokemon...
    A Pokemon Legend is in my opinion....
    I MAYBE DIDN'T NAME MYSELF IN THAT LIST BECAUSE IT'S NOT FOR ME TO DO IT....but trust me my battling powers are unreachably intellectual...and i would easily drop my name in the LEGEND CASE without hesitating...it's just not my job to judge in ur place...i'm giving my opinion about myself

LANCE! ....maybe it's true that we are friends...but never forget that we r also legendary Rivals
    I am Red. I conquered the Pokemon World more times that you have ever battled. I stand upon the top of the world from Mt. Silver. Indeed, I am the Living Legend as well as The Undefeated Battler. Millions have groveled under my Smash Pass. I am the Revolutionary Smashpasser! Now, bow down before your master! Do you have what it takes to have me as your Leader?
    (12:48:55) ±Porygon: Your rank in Wifi Ubers is 1/36151 [1789 points / 1695 battles]!
    WON THE 2011 POKEMON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

Ah, this question. Gotta admit, I have no clue for some official definition since Nintendo / GF / Pokémon Company / whatever decides what it means doesn't want to reveal it on purpose. And I don't know if I even want to have a clue. Obviously there is nothing official to it even, so it's all up to the interpretation of each Pokémaniac. There's a good article about it on Bulbapedia; you should search "pokemon master" there and glance through the text.

But, I'm somehow interested in the subject! Every once in a while this question pops up, and then I start thinking about it myself and check if some more speculation has poured in or if it has even been officially revealed. Nothing remarkable never happens though, which is okay with me!
    Last edited by Golemite; 17th April 2013 at 1:03 AM.

My current and FINAL Red team.
    I just can't start a new one since there are no Link Cables around these days. Requiscat in Pace! :´(
    (^ Okay, gotta admit it looks better in COLOR! )

A person Catching Mewtwo. At least that is what i thought as a kid. And i still believe.

To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe
    To bear with unbearable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.
    To try when your arms are too weary. To reach the unreachable star!
    This is my quest! To follow that Star! No matter how hopeless, no matter how far
    To fight for the right, without question or pause, to be willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause!
    And The world will be better for this, that one man, scorned and covered with scars still strove to his last ounce of courage.
    To reach, that unreachable star!
    I have claimed Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

To me, being a Pokemon master means you are able to bring out the best in all your Pokemon.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

I believe a Pokemon master is someone who cherishes their Pokemon and doesn't hate them for loosing, or doesn't abandon them in a PC box for life. (I can be accused of that... ^.^").
    Varanus on the General Chat Thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    You're not a kid anymore once you join this thread. 2 minutes here and all innocence you once had is lost.
    3DS FC:
    4940 - 6535 - 5488

Friend Safari: Fighting:
    Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue.
    PM me if you add me.

I think a pokemon master is a pokemon who connects with their pokemon. The people who train their pokemon and care for them.
    A pokemon master is someone who tries their best in a battle, if they win or loose they dont care as long as their pokemon are okay. Thats what I think a pokemon master is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast