Thread: How powerful could team rocket become?

Default How powerful could team rocket become?

So, after I had made my own joke elite four, It gave me some thoughts. You see, I had my champion being an old team rocket boss, who was trying to recruit leaders and admins of those who got to challenge him. He was using some strong steel types, such as Magnaton e.t.c, Mawile e.t.c.

However, in the games, only team rocket bosses and admins have had strong Pokemon. Why was this? Surely a team as large as them could steal, or heck, even go to the safari zone and lob some Pokeballs?

What im saying is- Imagine this. A ream rocket with real powerful Pokemon. Taruos, Golems, you know. Could, if they had all their members with tough and powerful Pokemon.. Could Team Rocket have been successful, and ruled the Poke crime world for years to come?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander#4 View Post
    If Pokémon existed in the real world, people would flip coins before sex.
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/1y1uep.jpg[/IMG]

Credits for the picture above go to bulbagarden forum user "herbie".

Just some of my favorite Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by lugia used splash View Post
    Could Team Rocket have been successful, and ruled the Poke crime world for years to come?
    Giovanni lost to a ten year old four times and he's meant to be the leader of Team Rocket. So if the leader can't win against a ten year old then then what chance does a rocket grunts have?

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Two words: Plot armor.

Yes, Team Rocket had the manpower and resources to take over entire cities. But as long as plot armor exists they'll be trumped by children every time, whether it's the random grunts, the executives, or Giovanni himself.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Short answer, yes. From experience, I've used Swampert Tools to upgrade the Pokemon used by Grunts in the Silph Co. and Radio Tower invasions; even if they aren't difficult in of themselves, they will wear you down more quickly- and the trainers are the ones they need to repel.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Two words: Plot armor.

Yes, Team Rocket had the manpower and resources to take over entire cities. But as long as plot armor exists they'll be trumped by children every time, whether it's the random grunts, the executives, or Giovanni himself.
    And we have the out-of-universe explanation.

In universe, I think it comes down to the fact that Team Rocket doesn't respect Pokemon; to actually train them would be to humanize them, and doing that destroys their ability to do what they do. If you think Pokemon, aside from the ones you smuggle, are replaceable and disposable... use replaceable and disposable Pokemon!

It's why they don't understand why a kid would have the guts to oppose them; one because they should be as terrified of them as the non-training masses, but two because they cannot be people who would understand where a trainer is coming from in caring about Pokemon. If you want hard proof that's a philosophical thing, though, note that in Red and Blue Team Rocket only explicitly bars your progress once, blocking Sabrina's Gym Saffron. Every other occasion you fight them is your character taking the fight to them, even if it's demanded by the structure of the game.

Cyrus in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum also merits a mention as a middle ground. While he doesn't consider Pokemon his friends either, he does realize that he is partially dependent on them to exert his authority- he does value them in some capacity- and he is vastly stronger than anything Team Rocket ever throws at you aside from the final battle with Giovanni. Once you stop seeing Pokemon as completely disposable, it makes a big difference in how much you invest in them.

Which makes Giovanni look ridiculous because, as a Gym Leader and one of the few people in the group that really gets Pokemon, he should be more powerful than he actually is. Only time you really feel like he's a force to be reckoned with is the Gym Battle in Yellow. But then Gold and Silver proved that Team Rocket can only be fragmentary when run by people without the discipline of an actual trainer- and they declared to the world how weak they were in the radio tower scheme. Ironic.

EDIT: Finally watched the HGSS Celebi event. Makes sense; he took Team Rocket's failure so harshly because he didn't make them the best they could be. Granted nothing else about the event makes any lick of sense- in fact it spits on the whole things. Totally killed my point, Game Freak.

Big answer, but one that's struck me more people aren't coming to lately.
    Last edited by Pinsirius; 31st March 2013 at 4:30 AM.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.