Thread: Community POTW #118

Default Community POTW #118

Time for the next PotW. This time, we have a fan favourite

It's Electivire, the cool evolution of Electabuzz introduced in DP. It's capable of quite a lot and is a worthy addition to any team

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/466.shtml

Don't forget to include sets for pre-evolution corner, featuring Electabuzz

Electivire@Choice Band
    Jolly Nature
    252 atk 252 speed

Wild Charge
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake
    Brick Break

A personal set I like
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

I'll be gone on vacation until I get home sometime Sunday the 28th. Sorry guys.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

One generation after a debut of awesomeness and suddenly, it crashes.
    That is not to say that Electivire is bad. Oh no. That is not the truth. Problem is, Electivire has competition as a reliable physical attacker. For sweeping, Electivire is heavily dependent on Motor Drive. Otherwise, Electivire will get worn down very quickly, especially with Wild Charge. Not only that, seeing a Gyarados is an obvious sign that you should be careful about using an electric attack, especially when the bait is obvious. Seriously, Electivire is a great Pokemon. It's in a metagame that is not friendly to it.
    I claim Buizel.

Ability: Motor Drive
    Item: Muscle Band
    Moves: Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Brick Break
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Blackout

Electivire @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk/Spd, 4 Sdef
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Moves: Wild Charge, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Cross Chop

The best moveset for a full-atker Electivire, Cross Chop for the pink blobs, Earthquake for other Electric and Steel types, Ice Punch for the annoying Dragons that plague OU, and Wild Charge for a STAB physical move.. even though this set is good for NEU

Item: Life Orb
    Moves: Wild Charge is for STAB
    Ice Punch covers most of the types that resist his STAB
    Earthquake is for coverage
    Cross Chop/Brick Break also coverage, depending whether you prefer power or accuracy
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP Adamant Nature
    .,__,.........,__,....... ______
    `ˇ.,¸,.ˇ*Ż`ˇ.,¸,.ˇ*Ż..|:::::: /\|/\
    `ˇ.,¸,.ˇ*Ż`ˇ.,¸,.ˇ*Ż<|:::::: ( o3o)
    -........--""-.......--"""u"u""u"u""
        Spoiler:- GPX+:

Vivillon is a badass

Bring back Endoplasmic Reticulum
    Electivire@ Expert Belt
    Naive
    Motor Drive
    252 Attack 252 Speed 4 sp attack
    Wild Charge
    Flamethrower
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake
    Last edited by Dragalge; 31st March 2013 at 3:17 PM.

Personally, I like Electabuzz out of the three.

All-Physical
    If Electivire, Vital Spirit w/ Muscle Band/Life Orb/Leftovers (Otherwise, Static w/ Muscle Band/Life Orb/Leftovers/Eviolite)
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Thunderpunch/Wild Charge
    Fire Punch
    Brick Break
    Earthquake/Ice Punch

All-Special
    If Electivire, Vital Spirit w/Wise Glasses/Life Orb/Leftovers (Otherwise, Static w/Wise Glasses/Life Orb/Leftovers/Eviolite)
    Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Thunder/Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Focus Blast
    Psychic/Signal Beam

Possible Ideas
    Cell Battery+Physical moveset+Discharge partner(+Motor Drive)
    Absorb Bulb+Special moveset+Surf user
    Politoad/Rain Dance users+Thunder
    Tailwind-users
    Reflect-users

Countering
    High Attack with Drill Run/Earthquake like Hitmontop, Tyranitar, Swampert, Torterra, Dragonite, Metagross, Druddigon, or Bouffalant.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 31st March 2013 at 5:22 PM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Selection vire-Elect-ion
    Electivie @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 144 Atk / 140 SpA / 224 Spe
    Naive / Hasty Nature
    - Wild Charge / Thunderbolt / Thunder
    - Earthquake / Cross Chop
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Punch

Standard. STAB Wild Charge / Thunderbolt. Cross Chop beats up Steels and Rocks, but I find that Earthquake does that better, since Heatran doesn't exist in RU. Flamethrower roasts Ferroseed alive, while Ice Punch hits Druddigon and other dragons, as well as specially-bulky-grass.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Electivire @Magnet
    Adamant Nature
    Motor Drive
    ~Thunerpunch
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Earthquake
    ~Cross Chop
    EV Spread: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd

This is a basic Electivire... The only thing it can't hit is Shedinja, but for the rare use it gets that doesn't matter. Magnet is held so Pokemon is has neutral coverage against have to face it's STAB + Magnet-Boosted ThunderPunch.

Electabuzz
    Jolly Nature
    Vital Spirit
    ~Thunder Wave/Iron Tail/Cross Chop/Fire Punch
    ~Meditate
    ~ThunderPunch
    ~Ice Punch

It's Sp Atk is higher than Atk at this stage, but with Meditate we can orient it towards Atk moves. Thunder Wave is there to set it up for Meditate to be used more safely, but you can replace that for more coverage if you feel you need it.
    My swarm of Ledyba will destroy your crops bwahaha

I liekz counters

E-vire is generally countered by Crustle with EQ as even a specially defensive set is 3HKO by Jolly LO Wild Charge or Timid LO Thunderbolt. But Crustle is easy to get damaged due to SR and how slow it is. Lanturn also deserves a mention on countering special sets although Earthquake is quite common. Nidoqueen, even specially defensive, can survive an Ice Punch and counter with the Earth Power. Quagsire also can reliably live any hit barring HP [Grass] and KO it with EQ or Curse up. Rhydon is in the same case. Generally any ground type confident of taking an Ice Punch can counter E-vire as long as it has Ground STAB. Any physically defensive pokes [Rhydon, Crustle, Tangrowth, Quagsire, Nidoqueen, Steelix] that take neutral damage can also wall physical sets while anything specially defensive enough [ Crustle, Nidoqueen, Lanturn] can take on special sets. But Mixed sets it would be safer to counter with Crustle, Nidoqueen, and Rhydon.

Electivire. How to begin with such little history, but effective usage since its incarnation...

The Good: Base 123/95/95 Attack/Sp.Atk/Speed, Motor Drive Ability, Movepool covers a wide array of nasties
    The Bad: Base 65 Defense, Weakness to Ground (probably the most commonly used Move-Type I've ever seen), requires a Motor Drive buff to fight off most Pokemon that would otherwise counter
    The Ugly: HP and Sp.Def are Above Average, Movepool doesn't see as much diversity as it should, Switching is far too obvious, some people know enough to use Rock-Type Moves if Gyarados appears to get either Super-Effective damage against it or neutral damage against Electivire, Vital Spirit isn't as useful as Motor Drive, sacrifices Speed for Attack upon Evolution like Scyther to Scizor

Switching to Electivire on an Electric Type Move should be less obvious than it is. Mostly, you should look for a user of non-STAB Electric Moves who absolutely needs to use Electric against your current Pokemon. Gyarados, Pelipper, Swanna, and Mantine are far too obvious, but other Flying or Water Types not named Lanturn, Gliscor, Swampert, Quagsire, or Emolga make decent Electric bait.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Oh Electivire. Much like Porygon-Z, this new evolution of a Gen 1 Pokemon ended up being massively overhyped in the early days of Gen IV, landing it in OU for a time. Its claim to fame was its impressive physical coverage, and its Motor Drive ability. And of course, everyone and their brother knew of the infamous "Gyravire" combo of yesteryear; have Gyarados to cover Electivire's Ground weakness, while having Electivire absorb the Electric attacks that Gyarados hates for a Motor Drive Boost. Unfortunately this strategy wasn't quite so dominant in theory as it was in practice, as it was predictable and easy to work around. Nowadays, it has largely fallen from favor, and while Gyarados managed to stay in OU, Electivire dropped almost as far as could be, going down to RU.

However, RU proves to be a suitable new home for the beast, as its combination of power and coverage is enough to make it a capable threat in the tier. While it's able to hit most types for super-effective damage, it is forever trolled by four moveslot syndrome. Depending on what moves it is (and isn't) carrying, there will always be something that Electivire is countered or checked by.

Sets lacking HP Grass are promptly shut down by Quagsire or Eviolite Rhydon, who have no trouble taking any of Electivire's other attacks due to their bulk, and respond with STAB Earthquake. If Electivire isn't carrying Flamethrower, it lacks the power to break through Steelix's supreme physical bulk, whose STAB Earthquake will make Electivire think twice about staying in. Electivire can never hit basic Rotom for super effective damage, having to resort to Ice Punch on physical variants for neutral damage. As a result, bulky Rotom's can easily shut down Physical Electivire's with Will-o-Wisp. Spiritomb is in the same boat, although it takes more damage from Earthquake. Ironically, Electivire also makes a semi-decent counter to itself; it can snag a Motor Drive, and promptly destroy the opposition with Earthquake. Bulky Nidoqueens can take an Earthquake or Ice Punch and respond with Sheer Force Earth Power, although she won't like taking repeated Earthquakes. Finally, bulky grass types such as Amoongus can take even a boosted Ice Punch, and then shut Electivire down with Spore.

Checking Electivire isn't all that difficult, especially if it hasn't gained a Motor Drive Boost. Aerodactyl outspeeds it considerably and shuts it down with a solid Earthquake. Scollipede and Sceptile are also in the same boat, able to outspeed and KO the electric beast with their Earthquakes or STABs. In general though, Electivire lacks resistances, so with its pitiful physical bulk, reliance on recoil for STAB, and lack of any recovery, it can be worn down without too much difficulty.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Motor Drive
    Jolly Nature
    32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
    Wild Charge
    Ice Punch
    Cross Chop
    Earthquake

Standard Expert Belt set. It works because of it's great coverage. You can use Life Orb if you want more consistent power.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 31st March 2013 at 4:11 PM.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Electivire is the perfect example of a Pokemon that has fallen from grace in the transition to the 5th generation. Once being a top offensive threat DPPt OU, it now struggles in RU. Possibly the biggest reason for its dramatic fall in effectiveness is team preview, which shows the opponent that you have an Electivire, which means you are probably using its once most prized asset: Motor Drive. This makes your opponent weary of spamming Electric-type moves. Combine this with a slightly disappointing initial base 95 speed, and Electivire can be easily played around. Second, it lacks the power of newer threats, making it outclassed in many cases.

Electivire does have a few perks though. In the new generation, it gained two new traits that make it appealing in RU: Wild Charge and Vital Spirit. The latter gives it a much more powerful STAB move to use than ThunderPunch, and the former allows it to switch into Sleep Powder and Spore from Lilligent and Amoongous. Its previous primary perk, its great supper-effective coverage, allows it to take on a lot of slower threats.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

A good moveset to run would be

Wild Charge/Thunder punch
    Earthquake
    Brick Break
    Ice Punch/ Fire Punch

Wild Charge gets STAB and does a nice bit of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Thunder punch is there if you don't want the recoil although has lower power
    Earthquake is a beast of a move as we all know
    Brick Break kills the pink blobs
    Ice punch and Fire punch are fillers and its a a case of pick which ever you prefer to kill whatever irritates you more, Ice punch scores nice on Dragons, Grass, Ground and flyers where is Fire punch takes out Grass, Bug, Ice and Steels (Namely Bronzong with levitate)

As for items you can go with a Choice band or Life orb, depends on whether you prefer to swap around a lot or stand and fight

and on a final note, avoid the dreamworld ability, seriously Nintendo, Vital spirit? C'mon!

Nearly forgot the EV's...
    EVs: 252 Atk/Spd, 4 HP
    Last edited by Miror; 1st April 2013 at 6:11 AM. Reason: Double post
    It's interesting how one thing can bring so many people together, It's also funny how one thing can cause so many arguments due to a difference in opinion.
    Nothing is perfect and no-one is perfect so we just need to learn to enjoy the differences in-between us as well as the similarities that we share

...This does not apply to Froslass, she's perfect! =D

Item: Expert Belt
    Ability: Motor Drive/ Vital Spirit
    Nature: Naive/ Mild
    EVs: 200 Ark/ 56 SpA/ 252 Speed
    -Thunderbolt/ Wild Charge
    -Flamethrower
    -HP Ice/ Grass
    -Cross Chop/ Earthquake

Electabuzz
    Item: Choice Specs/ Scarf
    Ability: Static
    Nature: Modest/ Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
    -Thunderbolt
    -HP Grass/ Ice
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunderbolt

Sub-meditate@lefties
    Nature:Jolly
    EVS:MAX Atk & Speed
    -Substitute
    -Meditate
    -ThunderPunch
    -Ice Punch

Electivire is in my opinion one of the most fun pokemon out there. Why? Because he can learn so many great moves His ability isn't half bad either. I mean, there really isnt much else to say here. Great movepool, good typing, awesome stats, this guy's really got it all!
    Well, not exactly. When I say good movepool, I mean in terms of coverage, not power; he's sorely lacking in the latter. His best STAB move is Wild Charge. That's a decent attack, but I wish they would have more physical electric type moves. Wild Chrage is a definite improvement over Thunderpunch from the last gen tho.

Motor Drive: When you are hit by an Electric attack, you don't take damage; instead, it raises your Speed. Fantastic ability, giving him an immunity and an advantage to his own type.
    Vital Spirit (DW) You can't fall asleep. Kind of useless, especially when compared to his other ability.

BZZT BZZT
    -Wild Charge
    -Ice Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Cross Chop
    EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Atk)
    252 Atk/252 Spd
    The idea here is to switch in on an Electric type attack and sweep. Ice Punch and Wild Charge together give this guy the abilty to hit every pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage, plus Earthquake and Cross Chop for even more fun. This is Electivire's only real set, but it sure is fun.

Other Options
    Choice Band to hit extremely hard and just massacre every pokemon you happen to encounter, at the cost of only doing it once before moving on. I really don't recommend the Choice Scarf, however, as it is repetitive and doesn't help Elective almost at all.
    Dual Chop if you find Dragons are a huge problem.
    Meditate over Cross Chop or Earthquake can be used if you want your Electivire to set up and sweep, which is always nice. More damage is a good thing.

Countering Electivire
    At a glance, you'll think Electivire is pretty solid and hard to counter. However, especially if it's choiced, it isn't too hard. He relies on the Speed boost from Motor Drive, so if you avoid Electric attacks he can't sweep. He is still decently fast, but pokemon like Gastrodon can just laugh off any damage from Cross Chop, Earthquake, or Ice Punch and just reply with STAB Ground type attacks. Paralysis and Burn also basically end him, so go for the status. The important thing is not to let him get a boost from Motor Drive; that's when things get impossible.

Hey! Remember me? I was the big boy before the fourth generation!
    Electabuzz
    -Thunder/Thunderbolt
    -Focus Blast
    -Psychic
    -Hidden Power Dark
    Ability: Static
    EVs and Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk -Spd)
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
    Electabuzz was always a rather subpar pokemon, with a mediocre movepool and rather useless ability. Electivire can literally run the same set, and could probably do it just as well. Both of these guys have the same Special Attack, but Electabuzz has more Speed and lower bulk. Overall, he's just a Special sweeper lost in a maze of hundreds of others, all with the same move-set but better stats. Thunder is for STAB, Focus Blast and Psychic are for coverage, and Hidden Power Dark completes the set with perfect coverage against everything.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post

BZZT BZZT
    -Wild Charge
    -Ice Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Cross Chop
    EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Atk)
    252 Atk/252 Spd
    The idea here is to switch in on an Electric type attack and sweep. Ice Punch and Wild Charge together give this guy the abilty to hit every pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage, plus Earthquake and Cross Chop for even more fun. This is Electivire's only real set, but it sure is fun.
    I find that Hasty (+Spd, -Def) works just as well, because the main thing here is that Electivire has 317 Speed to run with, which is pretty good. Not great, but good. Also, did you mean Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)?

Possible Move Options:
    Fire Punch could replace Ice Punch if you want to get 2x on Ice-types, though I'd say swapping Dragons for Ice isn't the greatest.
    Brick Break adds more accuracy instead of power, as there is nothing more annoying than finding out your Cross Chop, which was guaranteed to kill, missed.
    If you don't want a dead Electivire in 4-5ish turns, then you probably shouldn't use Wild Charge, as the recoil is killer; Thunderpunch is also accepted.

Partners:
    Anything that can heal. Because this set literally kills your opponents and your team.

elekid littlecup set

ability-static/vital spirit
    item-life orb

Wild charge/thunder punch
    ice punch/dual chop
    chross chop/brick break/hammer arm/low kick
    fire punch/return

Electivire struggles due to low lacking speed and mediocre defenses. Lucky for it, it was given Motor Drive, an awesome way to boosts its speed up to 147 base if it becomes activated; plus, it was given the cell battery, which gives it a boosted attack if it gets hit by an electric attack. Thus, Electivire gets a free Dragon Dance if you switch in right.
    Unfortunately, switching in to electric attacks becomes very predictable. And if Electivire doesn't get that boost, it's not going to be able to do much. It ended up with good attack, a great physical movepool, but subpar speed, which it struggles to overcome.

-Wild Charge
    -Ice Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Cross Chop/Brick Break
    Item: Life Orb/Cell Battery
    EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252

Simple sweeper strategy here. Hopefully you manage to switch in to an Electric attack and activate Motor Drive. If you really feel confident, use the Cell Battery; it's got an even bigger boosts than Life Orb and it doesn't lop off your HP, which you're really gonna feel with Wild Charge. Wild Charge was Gamefreak's gift to Electivire; a reliable, powerful, physical Electric STAB move. After a few hits and Life Orb recoil, it's going to start throbbing, though. Ice Punch shatters Ground, Grass, and especially Dragon types, the only ones that resist Electric. Earthquake is Earthquake; all the power and the coverage. The last one is a toss-up between Fighting-type moves: Cross Chop deal a lot more power with even a boost in crit, but Brick Break is a lot more accurate. The EVs, Nature, and item are all staple for sweepers, except Cell Battery which is, in many cases, inferior to the Life Orb.

Ohhhhh, a personal favourite of mine

Adamant
    252/252 Atk + Spd 4 HP
    Motor Drive
    Expert Belt
    -Wild Charge
    -Ice Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Cross Chop

Standard sweeper set really.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Electivire can be used to rip one of the most overpowered legendaries to shreds. Give Electivire vital spirit and send it out against a darkrai while holding a choice scarf. This way you use a fighting move before the opponent can attack and hit darkrai hard while not having to worry about sleep. Cross chop, if it hits, can smack a darkrai into submission when electivire goes first. Primeape and Electivire are prime choices against darkrai for vital spirit and cross chop. Electivire is better because there could be that one time where the opponent has a psychic move. Next time you battle a darkrai, get a hidden ability Electivire with cross chop and a choice scarf. They will not know what hit em.