Thread: First Fire Red Team. Help Needed.

Hybrid View

Default First Fire Red Team. Help Needed.

So I've never really built a team before. I mean, I've played Pokemon for several years but never knew much about types, set-up moves, traits, items, or really anything. I would simply (as any youngster would) pick a cool looking Pokemon or one with a cool name. This is how I played for years but it just isn't as fun now.

I'd like to build a team now with the new knowledge I have. Although, this knowledge isn't great yet, I still need some help.

I am playing with my Fire Red game currently and have an outline for a few pokemon I would enjoy having in my team. I am willing to make changes to any of these pokemon though!

Charizard
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

Pidgeot
    Toxic
    Whirlwind
    Ariel Ace
    Featherdance

Dewgong
    Ice Shard
    Waterfall
    ?
    ?

Jolteon
    Agility
    ?
    ?
    ?

Nidoking
    Earthquake
    ?
    ?
    ?

Mr. Mime
    Psychic
    Mimic
    Barrier
    ?

Some of these I have picked because I enjoyed using them in the past (such as Nidoking), some are chosen because they have a soft spot in my heart (Mr. Mime), and some have been chosen because I have never played with them before (Dewgong).

I am struggling with applying a team aspect to these. I have a few moves for each, yet I still am unsure of a role for any of these pokemon.

If you could help, please do so!

Thank you!

Did you post this and end up deleting later and reposting it? I just noticed that and wanted to point it out. I was going to suggest movesets but I suddenly had to run, so I didn't get a chance to. The movesets you had before were not too shabby. There wasn't too much to correct, but now, might as well start fresh. Also, look into http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml for a good introduction to EV training. It's been updated and now doesn't include Gen. 3, but the premise is the same. You'd have to look up EV training spots though. Natures are also something to look into. That's if you're at all interested. Moving on:

Charizard @ Charcoal
    - Flamethrower
    - Dragon Claw
    - Rock Slide (Tutor)
    - Brick Break

Flamethrower gets STAB. Dragon Claw gets coverage on dragons, which your team needs more of. Rock Slide for more coverage; but be sure to use a tutor, not the TM. Brick Break handles opposing Steel Types.

Pidgeot @ Silk Scarf
    - Return
    - Aerial Ace
    - Steel Wing
    - Fly

Return is a powerful move later in the game, and gets STAB along with Aerial Ace. Steel Wing hurts Ice and Rock types. Fly is a filler so you can get around.

Dewgong @ NevermeltIce
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Signal Beam
    - Waterfall

Surf and Ice Beam are obvious choices for STAB. Signal Beam is mainly filler, but also gives some more coverage against Dark, Psychic, etc. Ice Shard is not available to Dewgong on FR/LG, so go with Waterfall or any other filler move.

Jolteon @ Magnet
    - Thunderbolt
    - ThunderWave
    - Toxic
    - Hidden Power/Flash

Jolteon doesn't have many options due to its movepool and poor Attack. Thunderbolt is your main attacking move. Thunderwave helps cripple enemies, and with Jolteon's superior speed, it makes Agility unnecessary. Toxic and the last moves are, again, fillers. Tweak them to your needs.

Nidoking @ Leftovers
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb

Earthquake and Sludge Bomb are STABs; although sludge bomb won't see too many uses, except against Grass Types. Rock Slide gets good coverage with Earthquake, hitting most things neutrally. Shadow Ball adds some more coverage against Psychics and Ghosts.

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen

Psychic is your STAB. Thunderbolt for more coverage. Reflect and Light Screen boost your team's defenses, and work better than Barrier.

You caught me, I did repost this after deleting it simply because I wanted to shorten the information given and after doing some more research found that a few of the previous moves I had written down are unable to be obtained in this game.

Now, onto your suggestions. I really appreciate you giving a bit of explanation along with your movesets. This helps expand my knowledge of why you chose what.

I have decided this is the team I will stick with and am about to start my journey!

I am still taking pointers, tips, alternative moves, and anything else anyone wants to give me.

Thank you all!

Also, which natures are preferred for each pokemon if you wouldn't mind.

Go Lonely (+Atk/-Def), Mild (+SpA/-Def), or Hasty (+Spe/-Def) for Charizard. Which you do is up to you; in Gen 3, it has to go mixed since its special movepool sucks. You can either opt for better mixed stats with Lonely, a bit more special firepower with Mild, or more speed with Hasty. Which you do is up to personal preference, really. I'd go with Lonely for in-game, since its attack isn't bad, but it isn't good either; giving it a positive attack nature can give you a little more oomph for in-game stuff.

Pidgeot and Nidoking want either Adamant (+Atk/-SpA) or Jolly (+Spe/-SpA) for obvious reasons; they don't use their special attack (since Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are both physical in Gen 3). Whether you want more speed or power is up to personal preference.

Jolteon, Dewgong, and Mr. Mime want either Modest (+SpA/-Atk) or Timid (+Spe/-Atk). Same as above, it's up to personal preference.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Sounds good to me! Thank you for contributing.

Hopefully this will be my team within the next few weeks. If anyone has anything else to add, please do share!

I'm going to continue on Monochromatic's rate, since it's pretty good.

You don't really need Rock Slide on Charizard. It just hits Flying and Fire, both of those are already covered by other team members. I usually have Slash on mine. Doesn't really serve a purpose, except as a filler move. Considering that Rock Slide might seem great, but I feel like it's a waste of a move tutor.

You could add Toxic and Rest to Dewgong's movepool and replace Signal Beam and Waterfall. Signal Beam is physical this generation. Though Dewgong's attack is as high as it's special attack, dropping Signal Beam allows you to run Modest, to boost special attack.

Jolteon could use Bite. 60 power only, but it's a special move after all.

Nidoking can afford to go mixed with something like this:

~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Slide
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Filler

Hits everything at least neutral. Pick whatever move you want for the last slot.