Thread: Do you like how the gym leaders of Unova were portrayed in the anime?

Default Do you like how the gym leaders of Unova were portrayed in the anime?

Do you like how the gym leaders were portrayed in the anime?
    Or did you think some of them weren't as unique as you wanted them to be?

I personally wanted Skyla to have a better personality. Lenora, Chilli and Clay only battled for the sake of winning (they didn't actually care much about their opponent if i'm honest) and this case was also clearly evident with Skyla. I felt like these select few gym leaders let their power and authority go to their heads and could have had some interesting storylines and plots ahead of them.

However, I loved Cilan, loved Elesa and loved Drayden.
    Happiny is awesome

Bands and artists I like at the moment:
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Boards Of Canada
    The Beatles
    Bjork
    Aphex Twin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Lady Gaga
    Gorillaz
    Brian Eno
    Coldplay

Some were okay and some were portrayed horribly, like Skyla,
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Skyla was the obviously one portrayed really bad. Lenora and clay were pretty neutral compared to their game counter parts. Elesa and drayden were great, and cheren seemed cool in his episode. Roxie was easily the vest though, and pretty much exactly how I pictured she would be in the anime. I'm glad instead of making her kind of tsundere like in the games, she was more just like a crazy rock chick.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

I hate Clay's voice. Other than that, he's easily the coolest
    Skyla was terribad. "I predicted that!!" she says every time. And she's overly confident.
    Elesa and Brycen were pretty good, though.

Every Gym Leader this region was done well except for Skyla (no need for further comment) and Marlon, who wasn't bad, just very bland and shoved into a 10 minute appearance.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Skyler was the only one with a very, very bad portral...I expected her to be more serious >>
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Skyla was pretty bad /but I never cared for her anyway/

The one I was kind of disappointed with was Drayden. :x I don't know, I always liked how he was a father figure to Iris in the games--he was strict, yes, but not enough to scare her and stuff. >.<;; But a lot of that has to do with my headcanons. ^^;

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Skyla was pretty bad /but I never cared for her anyway/

The one I was kind of disappointed with was Drayden. :x I don't know, I always liked how he was a father figure to Iris in the games--he was strict, yes, but not enough to scare her and stuff. >.<;; But a lot of that has to do with my headcanons. ^^;
    I liked the way Drayden was portrayed. You have to separate the game from the anime, obviously he's not the person that pretty much raised Iris.

As for Skyla, I think she was okay, it was just something that probably could have been executed better. Definitely not as big a thing as some people try to make it though. If anything, I'd say that Clay was one of the gym leaders I didn't care for. He didn't seem to really care about the gym as much as making money and drilling in his mine. That and he, while a good battler, I felt didn't really test the challengers or give them that gym leader knowledge. Oh and like someone else mentioned, Marlon, he pretty much was all aesthetics, not much depth at all.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    I liked the way Drayden was portrayed. You have to separate the game from the anime, obviously he's not the person that pretty much raised Iris.
    I understand it's different, but what I mean is I liked how Drayden was portrayed in the games better. Similar to how I like Dento is portrayed better in the anime or how Silver is in PokeSpe. But that aside it didn't ruin the episode or Iris's development epis for me, I just felt a bit sad. :c

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    tumblr|fanfiction

I understand it's different, but what I mean is I liked how Drayden was portrayed in the games better. Similar to how I like Dento is portrayed better in the anime or how Silver is in PokeSpe. But that aside it didn't ruin the episode or Iris's development epis for me, I just felt a bit sad. :c
    Well that's a little different, he's just asking if you liked them in the anime. I honestly like his anime persona anyway, he always gave off that intimidating yet well meaning authority figure and I felt they nailed that with his portrayal and position within Opelucid.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    Well that's a little different, he's just asking if you liked them in the anime. I honestly like his anime persona anyway, he always gave off that intimidating yet well meaning authority figure and I felt they nailed that with his portrayal and position within Opelucid.
    Ya and I liked his game persona better. :P I didn't like him in the anime. XD

Cheren on the other hand. /it was because he was animated/ <3

tumblr|fanfiction

Ya and I liked his game persona better. :P I didn't like him in the anime. XD

Cheren on the other hand. /it was because he was animated/ <3
    I forgot about Cheren, probably because it wasn't an official gym battle, but I didn't really like him much either. Though, if I'm honest I wasn't really a big fan of his anyway which might have something to do with it. Even with that in account, I feel like his anime persona didn't really do him justice. He didn't have that same confidence and resolve of his game counterpart, which clearly drew from his own traveling experiences and used it in his gym leader duties. I would have liked Cheren in the anime more if he wasn't so insecure.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Skyla was actually one of my two favorite gym leaders in Best Wishes, along with Brycen. I enjoyed the Skyla arc and thought they did a good job of turning a kind of nothing character from the games into an interesting storyline. Brycen I thought was done well as a simple, intense Gym Leader.

Everyone else I thought was fine, no one really bothered me except Marlon mostly because he barely got any screen time.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    Skyla was actually one of my two favorite gym leaders in Best Wishes, along with Brycen. I enjoyed the Skyla arc and thought they did a good job of turning a kind of nothing character from the games into an interesting storyline. Brycen I thought was done well as a simple, intense Gym Leader.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one here who didn't dislike her. D: I found her character and storyline to be believable and interesting.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

I feel like Skyla was portrayed wrong but, she was a lot more interesting than she is in the games

I think Skyla is also portrayed wrong too. But it was one heck of a way of transforming personalities.

How dare you all insult Skyla! She is the best thing that ever happen to Pokemon, and my bias like for her will throw any logic out the window and praise her no matter what she did, or how she was written in the show. Skyla rules the region!

Okay, bringing my common sense back, and not wearing my bias Skyla cap on, She and Cilan's brothers are the only Gym Leader's in Unova I actually watched. I saw a little of Elesa only because Bianca was in it but the other Gym Leader's I did not watch their episodes so I can really only judge these ones. From what I saw, typical Gym Leader stuff. Nothing that really stands out or will make me remember them in the long run, minus Cilan because he's on the main cast. So really Cilan if he counts. Again I have only seen Cilan's crew, Skyla, and a single episode of Elesa, and if I take my bias for Skyla aside, they are all average to me.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Best - Lenora, the Triplets, Elesa, Drayden, and Roxie (and probably Cheren).

Worst - Skyla (this isn't rock-paper-scissors!), Clay (go get me some Revival Herbs 'cuz I like making me Pokémon mad! Screw Revives!), Marlon (oh poor guy, Misty would be disgusted by your sight...oh wait, your weak Pokémon, not you), and Drayden (because apparently his Gym was unavailable for no reason).