View Poll Results: Are you participating?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. (MAKE SURE TO FILL UP THE REGISTRATION FORM FOUND BELOW!!!)

23 74.19%
  • Maybe.

2 6.45%
  • No.

6 19.35%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 2013 International Challenge - April (Official Play! Pokémon Wi-Fi Tournament)

I was thinking of trying it out but with a dw lucario instead . Had some tough fights though. This was my team: bronzong , excadrill(fotgot to level this guy up after i ev trained so it was lv38 lol) ,garchomp,and dragonite(multiscale) . I always used this and I did pretty good with them
    Black 2 fc: 0176 0022 1991-Jorge
    credit to me

So does the competition finish at midnight in each respective country? Just wondering if the Japanese have already finished? Us in Europe only got an hour or so left and US still got 5-6 hours?

Well that's me done Didn't get back to 1600. I think once scores update I'll be around 1580's hopefully.
    Called it as my last match ended on a RQ against Ju from Guatemala when he started with Gyarados and Electabuzz expecting me to lead T-tar and Ex. So when I started Ludi and Wobb he RQ, what a ***.

So final scores

43 Wins
    29 Losses
    7 RQ's (I'm most pleased about this far lower than all the other tournaments)

And here is my list of shame (those ****ers who think RQing is clever) -

Ju (with some symbols after name) - Guatemala
    Andrew - No Location
    WHITE - No Location
    PALADIN - New York USA
    Hamish - United Kingdom
    + 2 Japanese players both from Chiba Japan
    Last edited by MSK; 21st April 2013 at 11:01 PM.
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

Way too many RQ'ers this time around... Hopefully X and Y will have a system where if your opponent DC's you AUTOMATICALLY get the win! Now because X and Y will be on 3DS they can't say technical limitations if they can do it with TCG online they can do it with X and Y!
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Meh. Even though we're in the phase where the RQ'ing is rampant, I want to try and get a half-decent rating. I went from the mid 1500's to the mid 1400's these past couple of days, and that's just embarrassing. Thinking of going past my usual 100 battle quota, although knowing my luck I probably won't succeed in getting the rating I want.

Also, I agree on how the person who doesn't DC should get the win. Or, a different idea: one person wins, or NOBODY does. That one might be a little easier to implement, methinks.

EDIT: Competition time is DONE. And I think my rating is around mid-high 1400's. Eh. Could be better, could be worse (and was...for both). Maybe next tourney I can go back to a weather team.
    Last edited by Morpher01; 22nd April 2013 at 1:06 AM.
    Current fanfics:

Proving Grounds

How far will one boy go to prove something?

lol wait the tourney is over already?

Ok, 27 battles rating of 1653. The worst I've done so far... I usually manage to get in around 75+ battles, and manage atleast 1700. Sadly, I didn't have the time.

The team I used this time:

Spoiler:

In the end, Ludicolo has to be my VIP guy. He took out rain teams single handedly as well as helped me take out Sand. Ludicolo sometimes supported my Pokemon by letting them have the Leech Seed, which was pretty nice.
    Last edited by Shreyas; 22nd April 2013 at 1:33 AM.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

I thought I had one more day. :O

Ending at.... A whopping 5 battles. wow justin... wow. good job. And I went 2-3 in those battles. So good.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

1857 :3
    My DC rate is 19% i believe, so hopefully they dont cut me off

This tournament would have been better if my net wasn't being a sleazeball, though in a way, my team was partly overly random this time round. Not that it mattered, I had times where I really turned the tides. I have a top secret team to test out before the next one. Still disappointed I didn't get to fact a Rain dance team however. Maybe next time if my net will stop cutting me out of the enjoyment. overall I did about 29 battles with mostly loses. Laugh however, is that I actually beat someone with over 1604 in rating with this team, of which I'm glad. I expected some challenge in the team but they were all weak to my Ferrothorn except Sawk and Throh which the trainer used. I caused him trouble none the less.
    Pkmn Trainer Halkel:
    Diamond FC: 0259-7843-6718
    Platinum FC: 4985-1701-9701
    Heart Gold FC: 4598-1825-7435
    Black FC: 3825-7716-5520
    Black 2 FC: 3053-5471-8420
    3DS FC: 3179-6050-1707

B2W2 HAf: 220/220 (222/222 if you count both formes of Basculin and Shellos)
    XY HAf: 264/264 (266/269 if you count both formes of Basculin, Shellos and Pumpkaboo, Unsure if Blue or Yellow Symbiosis Floette exist as I've been hearing)
    XY HAm/HAg: 14/14

Spreadsheet for Hidden Abilities (Gen 5 now added)

Hunting HH/Friend Safari Pokemon (Not asking for):

Seeking Hidden Abilities (X&Y): None right now

Nationals Ratings:
    UK Nationals 2013: Rank 77

Gotta hope my net works better next time as well. This wasn't my brightest tournament, in fact I was darn right unlucky despite going 7-4... if I'm somehow not disqualified, that would be a blessing
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I went 5-1 today before it ended mid 1600's. hurricane and MM misses hurt alot. May replace MM with iron head. Flinch hax may be useful with the tailwind that my main team uses. Still can't believe that Charizards took a dragon claw to the face from a mence an lived with half HP. His HP stat is only base 80 and mence's attack wasn't lowered....
    Old Man
    X fc: 5129-1530-5385 (Skillz)
    Fairy Safari
    Kirlia, swirlix, clefairy

First competition I've participated in and I've seen too many people use the same pokemon: Latios, Garchomp, Rotom, Cresselia, Metagross, all on the same team. I only ran into a couple of people who used some different pokemon, but most of the battles I've participated in, I've seen these pokemon being used a lot.
    3DS: 2509-2137-6109 Feel free to PM your FC for Friend Safari
    Friend Safari Type: Ghost Pokemon: Pumpkaboo and Lampent (unknown third).
    Pokedex: 718/718

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSilver Eric View Post
    First competition I've participated in and I've seen too many people use the same pokemon: Latios, Garchomp, Rotom, Cresselia, Metagross, all on the same team. I only ran into a couple of people who used some different pokemon, but most of the battles I've participated in, I've seen these pokemon being used a lot.
    same here when i played my 16 battles thats all i saw. i ended with a rating of low 1400s from when i started at 1500.
    Black code is :
    Black 2 code is:
    for trainer name in Black/Black 2 -Raylz
    feel free to PM me to battle, trade,ect.

Yeah it's pretty dull seeing the same Pokemon constantly, but there isn't much you can do about that. On the plus side you can learn to deal with those Pokemon when you face them so much.

Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!
    deviantART | Twitter
    3DS FC: 2595-0280-9012

Well, the Pokemon you'll see is generally just the nature of the metagame. You always have the standards, but they are standards for a reason...

The thing is, it will help you prepare to deal with them later on. Also, it gives you an option to see some of the other Pokemon that can actually succeed against them. For example, I really liked how Liepard turned out in my last team. Although she isn't all that standard, she did a marvelous job against more of the standard Pokemon like Cresselia. Battling standard teams seem to bring out the potential of some lower tiered Pokemon!

Which reminds me, I really want to try out an Articuno sometime... I've been swept by one before, and it seems kind of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    Well, the Pokemon you'll see is generally just the nature of the metagame. You always have the standards, but they are standards for a reason...

The thing is, it will help you prepare to deal with them later on. Also, it gives you an option to see some of the other Pokemon that can actually succeed against them. For example, I really liked how Liepard turned out in my last team. Although she isn't all that standard, she did a marvelous job against more of the standard Pokemon like Cresselia. Battling standard teams seem to bring out the potential of some lower tiered Pokemon!

Which reminds me, I really want to try out an Articuno sometime... I've been swept by one before, and it seems kind of fun!
    My thoughts exactly! Having a set, predictable metagame allows you to kind of stack the metagame against itself. You can play what you want, so long as they fare well against what the common Pokemon will be running. It's a blessing in disguise, although it does make some battles somewhat boring.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Well, for my first competition I don't feel I did that bad. I went 9-12-2, 1488 ranking, but I was able to beat a couple teams rated in the 1600's. I didn't go in thinking I was going to run anything, I was looking to get a taste of competitive. I definitely need to make some changes to my team, mainly moving around EVs and breeding to get some better IVs. I also need to swap a couple of my Pokemon to give better coverage. Overall, it was a great learning experience and I can't wait for the next one.

I also agree with seeing way too many of the same Pokemon. I didn't really expect much, since all you need to do is go through the RMT and see that most teams have the same combination of 10-15 'mons. You would think with 649 monsters, soon to go up, people would be able to figure out a way to use at least a quarter of them competitively. That's just what happens when people forget that games are for fun, and not just about the wins and losses.

Well thats how metagames work. and they are common for a reason... because people found out they work better than other pokemon. while there are some pokemon i believe are way overlooked, like latias, a personal favorite of mine, which i used in the team (which got me 1857 points this time, 1905 last time). But if you are thinking :

"chandelure has heat wave. so does magmortar! i think they are just as good as each other!"

then you obviously do not understand competitive play very well. But if you can find something that magmortar can do, that supports your team well (magmortar won't be giving you an coverage another fire pokemon will, so the only thing you can really do is find a strategic move/defensive move which your team would benefit from), and another pokemon won't outclass it in that certain position (coverage included), then by all means use it.

For people who are going for the fully creative strategies, good luck. only two people can really use almost unheard of pokemon and do it well (meaning very high ratings on these, and top placings in live VGC tourneys) CONSTANTLY. Dr Fidget and Wolfe Glick are those two people, using pokemon like delcatty, balstoise, etc.

I personally like to put some form of creativeness onto the team, but i dont throw a random pokemon on.
    Hence people overusing latios, cresselia, politoed, tyranitar, hitmontop, etc.
    these pokemon do there jobs better than any other pokemon, and politoed is the only pokemon able to do its job, and t tar 1 of 2 who can, 1 (hippowdown) being pretty bad in VGC due to the best sand abusers (lando, garchomp, excadrill) already giving them sand stabs for the team, and not needing another one.
    Hitmontop gets fake out, wide guard, sucker punch, AND INTIMIDATE. it is a huge asset to a team lacking intimidate support, fighting coverage, priority, or fake out.
    Latios is the fastest dragon, so that is an obvious niche right there. also being more powerful in the special attack side over any dragon, with a 130 base special attack, it is no wonder it fits onto so many teams.
    Metagross is so overused because of clear body, priority, great typing, that can wall many foes, including cresselia, and priority.
    Scizor is similar, but with technician, priority, but stab(great in VGC), good defensive typing, priority etc.
    these two also have a steel typing, meaning they can switch into the draco meteors that haunt the metagame.
    I could go on if i really wanted to.

Those are my words of wisdom :3
    Last edited by joej m; 22nd April 2013 at 10:19 PM.

So my little bit of tweaking paid dividends. Putting Psychic on Landorus in place of Grass Knot helped me counter Hitmontop's - They weren't expecting my Ludiculo / Landorus lead (T-tar / Ex was too obvious lol) so when I Fake Out / Psychic them down to the yellow it means I can pick them off easily.
    Ludiculo was my MVP helping me counter rain teams and Fake Out abuse.
    T-tar / Ex always works and was brilliant at sweeping either from the start or as a late game clearance.
    Kingdra didn't get as much use as last tournament, although he still helped me on the odd occasion.
    And finally Wobb. He hardly got used and I think I need to adjust my EV spread as he seemed to die too easily (although I did seem to come up against a lot of people with Dark / Bug Gem boosted attacks!!!) but he did get me 2 vital wins.
    I'm still a little weak to Scrafty so need to sort that out for next time

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    So my little bit of tweaking paid dividends. Putting Psychic on Landorus in place of Grass Knot helped me counter Hitmontop's - They weren't expecting my Ludiculo / Landorus lead (T-tar / Ex was too obvious lol) so when I Fake Out / Psychic them down to the yellow it means I can pick them off easily.
    Ludiculo was my MVP helping me counter rain teams and Fake Out abuse.
    T-tar / Ex always works and was brilliant at sweeping either from the start or as a late game clearance.
    Kingdra didn't get as much use as last tournament, although he still helped me on the odd occasion.
    And finally Wobb. He hardly got used and I think I need to adjust my EV spread as he seemed to die too easily (although I did seem to come up against a lot of people with Dark / Bug Gem boosted attacks!!!) but he did get me 2 vital wins.
    I'm still a little weak to Scrafty so need to sort that out for next time
    i would suggest using more of a support mon on your team, and getting rid of kingdra, because if you already have ludicolo, why another rain counter, especially one with the same stab move?

Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    i would suggest using more of a support mon on your team, and getting rid of kingdra, because if you already have ludicolo, why another rain counter, especially one with the same stab move?
    That's true, I kept him because it was my 1st time using Ludiculo and I didn't have any other Dragon moves to deal with opposing Kingdra. But quaking and Giga Drain seemed to do the job well enough anyway. So may well swap him out.
    I also seemed to struggle with Breloom this time, it's priority attacks were doing me severe damage and I couldn't OHKO it with anything which meant I was getting Spore'd all the time as well.
    Perhaps Sableye would be a good choice to switch in, Prankster Will-o-Wisp would cripple it's attack, it has access to Brick Break which would give me a fighting move I am lacking as well as Fake Out and a range of other support moves. Plus it's excellent typing. Just have to catch a female in the Dream World!!!

Alright, so I'm thinking I gonna use this same team for the next tournament, just rework some of what they do. Scrafty was literally the only thing that worked perfectly. Rotom-W was decent, but I completely failed to predict Gastrodon correctly, so I always ended up powering the thing up. Gonna switch Landorus to Sheer Force, even though I'll miss that Earthquake and I'll need to figure out a better way to utilize both Amoonguss and Cresselia. Metagross worked for the most part, but I might need to use a Choice Set to throw people off (thanks to having access to Trick).
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    That's true, I kept him because it was my 1st time using Ludiculo and I didn't have any other Dragon moves to deal with opposing Kingdra. But quaking and Giga Drain seemed to do the job well enough anyway. So may well swap him out.
    I also seemed to struggle with Breloom this time, it's priority attacks were doing me severe damage and I couldn't OHKO it with anything which meant I was getting Spore'd all the time as well.
    Perhaps Sableye would be a good choice to switch in, Prankster Will-o-Wisp would cripple it's attack, it has access to Brick Break which would give me a fighting move I am lacking as well as Fake Out and a range of other support moves. Plus it's excellent typing. Just have to catch a female in the Dream World!!!
    brick break...?
    i would use fake out, taunt (help even more with breloom), willowisp, sucker punch/ recover/ trick/ foul play.

Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    brick break...?
    i would use fake out, taunt (help even more with breloom), willowisp, sucker punch/ recover/ trick/ foul play.
    Sayleye we're talking about? Foul Play is better then Sucker Punch.

Be wary MSK, that Will-O-Wisp isn't the most reliable

Rankings are released!
    I'm ranked 526 with 1643 rating.

Hey, I see the ranking are out. I did much better in this competition. n_n

In White 2 I ranked 3911 with 1508 points, and had 12 wins and 13 losses (last time I only had 7 wins and 16 losses)

And in Black 2 I ranked 3732 with 1511 points, and had 11 wins and 11 losses (last month I had 6 wins and 15 losses)

I'm thinking of breeding an intimidate Hitmontop to use in one of my teams next time. And if I ever find this shiny Thundurus (and it has a good nature) I'll probably use it instead of Zapdos.

My shiny Pokemon pictures ~~ My shiny Pokemon videos
    AC:NL - Helen from Fafner ~~ Dream Address: 7700-3428-6939
    3DS 1 FC: 2208-4574-2359 ~ 3DS 2 FC: 0834-1721-4212
    Newest shiny: Kyurem - 2nd February 2014 (Black 2 - 3329 soft resets)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast