Thread: [Q&A + Primer] Naya Midrange - MTG Standard

Default [Q&A + Primer] Naya Midrange - MTG Standard

Naya Midrange

This is a Primer for a competitive Naya Midrange deck. But our first task is to define what "Midrange" actually is.

Midrange can best be described as a strategy that seeks to play the best creatures and ride those creatures to victory. In general, the creatures in a Midrange deck will be "better" than those in an Aggro deck--bigger, more resilient, and with greater play-value--and more numerous than those in a Control deck.

Naya Midrange takes advantage of the powerful creature cards made available in Green, White, and Red colors. It is a very well-situated deck in the current meta against a field of Aggro. The creature-value in Naya Midrange surpasses almost any other deck (contested only by Junk-GWB Reanimator), and the ability to re-use those creatures' "enter the battlefield" abilities is a strong point.

As a competitive primer, this doesn't take into account budget or card restrictions. It suggests the best options of cards available.

Here is a list of card options available to us followed by the decklist I am currently testing:

Card Options:

Planeswalkers:
    Planeswalkers are critical for a Midrange deck. They survive the vast majority of board wipes (apart from Planar Clensing and the mode-specific Merciless Eviction, the latter of which rarely gets played). In addition, most W/G/R Planeswalkers synergize very well with high creature-counts.
        Spoiler:- Planeswalkers::

Creatures: Creatures are the bread and butter of the Naya deck, and Midrange decks in general. Naya runs some of the highest value creatures in Standard, combining resiliency and value with cost-effectiveness and aggression.
        Spoiler:- Creatures::

Instants and Sorceries: Removal is limited in Naya. Unlike Jund, we're less flexible and don't have access to hard "kill" spells like Abrupt Decay, Tragic Slip, Dreadbore, or Ultimate Price.
        Spoiler:- Instants and Sorceries::

Enchantments and Artifacts: Naya runs few Enchantments, and even fewer artifacts.
        Spoiler:- Enchantments and Artifacts::

Utility Lands:
        Spoiler:- Utility Lands::

Sample Decklists:
        Spoiler:- My Decklist: Naya on the Warpath:

Please offer opinions/feedback and post your own decklists along with with how testing has been going. I will update the initial post with your feedback, and can list your deck under the sample decklists if you want.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

You think Cloudshift would work?
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Not really. If you don't have a creature out, Cloudshift doesn't do enough//anything. Then there's the question if what you'd take out for Cloudshift's inclusion.

Monsters."

I guess. I made a Naya Midrange deck. I'll be posting list on TP in a few if you wanna see it.

Sure. I'm always looking for Naya variants.

Monsters."

I'm going to my LGS for a while today so I can test I'll put them in the tournament reports thread or something.