Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB thread - no redundant redundancies in the title

Quote Originally Posted by Lugia's Chosen View Post
    I wouldn't count on the braves. They haven't exactly been challenged by their division.
    You never know. Playoffs are always a total crapshoot.

Nobody thought the Giants would win the WS last year. Or the Cardinals the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias View Post
    You never know. Playoffs are always a total crapshoot.

Nobody thought the Giants would win the WS last year. Or the Cardinals the year before.
    Also considering how many "experts" thought that the Angels punched their ticket to the World Series in the offseason. and how they thought the Yankees and Red Sox would finish 4th and 5th respectively.

It's all about coming in with clutch hitting and good pitching. The Yankees are usually the better team in the playoff,s but couldn't get a big hit to save their life.

It's all about getting hot at the right time.

That's always what the playoffs are about in any sport. Whoever gets hot at the right time wins.

I'm pissed I left that Tigers game in the Top of the 9th...that was the most improbable win I've ever had the honor of not getting to watch live

Magic number down to 2. Hope Houston can find the hidden talent in them to beat the Indians tomorrow so the guys can Clinch at home for once
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I went to the Yankees game today. It was Mariano Rivera's retirement day. They retired number 42, and now nobody else has that number forever because of Jackie Robinson. It was a cool day, and Metallica even played Mo's song. He is the greatest releiver of all time. The only bad part was the Yankees lost 2-1.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    I went to the Yankees game today. It was Mariano Rivera's retirement day. They retired number 42, and now nobody else has that number forever because of Jackie Robinson. It was a cool day, and Metallica even played Mo's song. He is the greatest releiver of all time. The only bad part was the Yankees lost 2-1.
    All that was cool, but the last part was best

Sucks what happened to Baltimore's Manny Machado... I hope he has a full recovery, but that injury might prevent him from playing at all next season.
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Playoffs!? Do talk about playoffs. For the first time since 1992 the Pittsburgh Pirates are playoff bound. It just feels so surreal.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

A-rod ends the game tonight with a double play. That was a fun game to watch. 7 walks and the Rays still shut the yankees out.

Yankees tragic number down to 1, and they can't catch the rays.

It's a real shame that Rivera can't retire a champion like Ray Lewis or David Robinson. But I'm hoping the Indians can win one for Jason Giambi, he might retire after this season too, he's 42.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu Fan Number Nine View Post
    It's a real shame that Rivera can't retire a champion like Ray Lewis or David Robinson. But I'm hoping the Indians can win one for Jason Giambi, he might retire after this season too, he's 42.
    I'm not broken up over it. he got enough championships, and there is no freaking way I want to see A-rod with a championship this year. 1 more loss, then the A-rod circus can start for real. Its going to be fun to watch

Indians might get the WC, and even if they got past that game, I don't see them with a realistic shot at winning it. They are feasting on horrible teams for the rest of the season and have been for quite a bit. So they are looking better than they really are imo.

Indians might get the WC, and even if they got past that game, I don't see them with a realistic shot at winning it. They are feasting on horrible teams for the rest of the season and have been for quite a bit. So they are looking better than they really are imo.
    Can't see them beating the Rays... Cleveland hasn't exactly been feasting on horrible pitching lately, what shot do they have against someone like Price, Cobb, or Moore (whoever the Rays decide to use in the WC)? I understand in the playoffs anything can happen, but the Indians just don't have enough imo

Welp, Tigers more or less clinched the Central with their win tonight.

Only way it doesn't happen now is if they lose all of their remaining games and Cleveland wins out. For this to happen, they would have to get swept by the Miami Marlins, which is not going to happen.

Eh, and I still say the playoffs are total crapshoot, and anything could happen. Who knows? Maybe Cleveland will get hot, and then nobody can beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Can't see them beating the Rays... Cleveland hasn't exactly been feasting on horrible pitching lately, what shot do they have against someone like Price, Cobb, or Moore (whoever the Rays decide to use in the WC)? I understand in the playoffs anything can happen, but the Indians just don't have enough imo
    What I am afraid of is Cleveland winning out over their last 5 incredibly weak games and us having to go to Cleveland for the play in game. and thats only if we can stay ahead of texas. Luckily they only have one more free win against the astros coming. Angels should be hungry to ruin their season.

So if we do get the wild card, I'd actually want Cobb, not price or moore to pitch. Both those guys have been shaky lately. Of course they have had to pitch against much tougher competition than the Indians. Feels like Cleveland hasn't played a contending team in a month. Really unbalanced schedules this year

So if we do get the wild card, I'd actually want Cobb, not price or moore to pitch. Both those guys have been shaky lately. Of course they have had to pitch against much tougher competition than the Indians. Feels like Cleveland hasn't played a contending team in a month. Really unbalanced schedules this year
    The last contending team Indians faced was the Royals, wouldn't you know it, they failed to win that series.

It's a real shame that Rivera can't retire a champion like Ray Lewis...
    It's a shame that Ray Lewis went out a champion, considering that he was involved in a double murder.

As for teams that didn't make the playoffs, I am glad to see the Nationals miss out. They don't deserve to get in as long as they have Strasburg. Shutting down your best pitcher in the middle of a playoff hunt, no matter what the reason is stupid. Who knows, maybe they beat the Cardinals in the NLDS last year if Strasburg makes two starts in it. Shutting him down was a giant middle finger to the fans.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.

It does suck that Mariano probably won't go out as a champion. but 5 championships later, I'm sure he's happy with everything he's done in his career. It was disappointing for me to watch Mike Mussina join the Yankees a year after all of the championships and retire a year before they won another one. So he never won a World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    Shutting down your best pitcher in the middle of a playoff hunt, no matter what the reason is stupid. Who knows, maybe they beat the Cardinals in the NLDS last year if Strasburg makes two starts in it. Shutting him down was a giant middle finger to the fans.
    Questionable and perhaps poorly-handled, but not stupid. If shutting him down last season to keep his innings count at an appropriate increase potentially leads to another 2-3 productive years of his career down the road, does that make it stupid? Not sacrificing the future for the then-present?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    Ibut 5 championships later, I'm sure he's happy with everything he's done in his career.

Exactly. Rivera is a great guy and the best relief pitcher of all time.

However, I have to say I am perfectly happy he didn't go out with another one.

Lets get the A-rod legal circus started now

Personally... I want a Tigers/Pirates WS, but you know that's probably just me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Personally... I want a Tigers/Pirates WS, but you know that's probably just me ^^
    Pirates/Rays would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Questionable and perhaps poorly-handled, but not stupid. If shutting him down last season to keep his innings count at an appropriate increase potentially leads to another 2-3 productive years of his career down the road, does that make it stupid? Not sacrificing the future for the then-present?
    What's the old saying, "Don't count your eggs before they hatch"? They didn't make the post season this year. What if they don't make it again until for a while? The thing with baseball is you don't know when the chance to win it all will come along, and you have to take it when you get it. The Pirates haven't, and won't be, shutting down Gerrit Cole, despite him being a young pitcher. Plus, what good are those 2-3 years to the Nationals if he ends up signing with Yankees down the road?

woot21 out dawgs

I'm hoping for an all-Ohio World Series. My state would go CRAZY if such a thing happened.

EDIT: Game 3 the World Series happens to fall on the same night Ohio State hosts Penn State in football. If the Indians and Reds do meet in the series, come October 26, a lot of Ohioans will have a tough decision to make.
    Last edited by Pikachu Fan Number Nine; 26th September 2013 at 1:50 AM.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

They didn't make the post season this year.
    Which is not a function of them shutting down Strasburg last season.

The thing with baseball is you don't know when the chance to win it all will come along, and you have to take it when you get it.
    And yet even without Strasburg pitching, they were one less Drew Storen meltdown away from advancing to the NLCS.

The Pirates haven't, and won't be, shutting down Gerrit Cole, despite him being a young pitcher.
    Gerrit Cole isn't coming off TJS, and it's irrelevant besides, because no two arms are alike.

The point is that them shutting down Strasburg was not the mistake for the ages you're painting it to be. There are legitimate arguments both ways.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I'm hoping for an all-Ohio World Series. My state would go CRAZY if such a thing happened.
    I speculate the Indians still wouldn't draw a big enough crowd... The other team will likely overpopulate Progressive (or the Jake as most Tribe fans call it)... especially if they play the Tigers (who they'll lose to, that much I can guarantee)

Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast