Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyoujin (Attack on Titan)

The only reason I want this show to have a dub is that Australian companies generally only release Blu-Ray for shows that are dual audio. The reason we're only getting a DVD release for Chihayafuru is because of the lack of a dub.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    The only reason I want this show to have a dub is that Australian companies generally only release Blu-Ray for shows that are dual audio. The reason we're only getting a DVD release for Chihayafuru is because of the lack of a dub.
    Could be worse. It could have been licensed by Aniplex and then the only chance at getting Blurays is by shelling out over $550.

Still not over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    It could have been licensed by Aniplex and then the only chance at getting Blurays is by shelling out over $550.
    Been there, done that.

Ridiculously priced Kara no Kyoukai BD box is ridiculously priced.
    My Anime List

Been there, done that.

Ridiculously priced Kara no Kyoukai BD box is ridiculously priced.
    Having just watched the series this week I wouldn't pay that much. Maybe if movie 5 had a standalone release I might pay some extra for that but not something like $100. Even for Gurren Lagann I wouldn't pay over $550 as evident. Hell I CAN'T PAY THAT MUCH. MY CREDIT CARD LIMIT IS $500. AUGH. ANIPLEX.

Staying on topic, apparently there's a Shingeki video game rumored to being in the works as well? What would you guys wanna see, because a 3D Maneuver Gear simulator would be hype.

Staying on topic, apparently there's a Shingeki video game rumored to being in the works as well? What would you guys wanna see, because a 3D Maneuver Gear simulator would be hype.
    Two visual novel games, one with volume 3 of the Blu-Ray and DVD release, and one with volume 6. Both are developed by Nitro+
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Nitro+ should sick the Urobutcher onto one of those VNs, the **** he could do in this world.
    My Anime List

Okay, I want this to be at the start of every episode from now on.
    I'd totally watch Shingeki no Yuru Yuri tbh.
    My Anime List

This series does a great job of reinforcing the fact that humans are fairly powerless against titans.
    I don't think it does. I've been watching this series, because I've been hearing good things about it but the show just makes me angry at the actions of humans. I keep watching and reading the manga hoping that one day someone will come to their senses. There is nothing about killing the titans that suggests they would be that much of an issue for humans. Most of them aren't that smart or fast, and they all have a go to one hit kill spot, in a very specified area. What we do know is that part of the reason the titans are such an issue is because the people have been horrible at preparing for it.

For example today I watched episode six and they mentioned in the PSA that the steel used to kill the titans is produced in only one factory in the capital city. Like, why would you do that? For example during WWII FDR literally commissioned auto makers to build tanks and jets. Factories making the steel should be everywhere possible. If they are in need of supplies they should conscript everyone able to scout the land, in small groups to not attract too many titans, to collect. And if one in twenty are gifted at slaying titans, they should figure out what what it is and if it requires breed those people like crazy. Start conscription and training as early as possible. We know they've had 100 years where the titans never got inside the walls, they should have used those 100 years to prepare.

It's hard claiming that the plot is convincing when you juxtaposed to a series like Evangelion, where we see humanity actually dedicates all of its resources to fitting the angels. Where in Attack on Titan it comes across like actually fighting and winning the war against the titans is just a chore, that they don't even take that seriously.

One thing I'm really enjoying about the anime so far is how real the emotions feel from the characters. The anime does a great job of doing that. Especially in this episode at the end.

My 3DS FC: 3351-4281-5654. Message me if you want to fight in Smash or something.

that last episode killed all the FMA jokes i had about eren D: but still a great episode

I'm kinda confused about how he regained his limbs and why he was a Titan, but I'm sure we'll learn more sooner or later
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Not gonna lie, I originally thought Attack on Titan was going to pull a Gurren Lagann, with Eren being Kamina to Armin being Simon. But, wasn't the case.

And I couldn't handle the cliffhangers after first watching Episode 6 so I read all the manga chapters available, and then the manga left off on another cliffhanger. Hah...
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerex View Post
    I don't think it does. I've been watching this series, because I've been hearing good things about it but the show just makes me angry at the actions of humans. I keep watching and reading the manga hoping that one day someone will come to their senses. There is nothing about killing the titans that suggests they would be that much of an issue for humans. Most of them aren't that smart or fast, and they all have a go to one hit kill spot, in a very specified area. What we do know is that part of the reason the titans are such an issue is because the people have been horrible at preparing for it.

For example today I watched episode six and they mentioned in the PSA that the steel used to kill the titans is produced in only one factory in the capital city. Like, why would you do that? For example during WWII FDR literally commissioned auto makers to build tanks and jets. Factories making the steel should be everywhere possible. If they are in need of supplies they should conscript everyone able to scout the land, in small groups to not attract too many titans, to collect. And if one in twenty are gifted at slaying titans, they should figure out what what it is and if it requires breed those people like crazy. Start conscription and training as early as possible. We know they've had 100 years where the titans never got inside the walls, they should have used those 100 years to prepare.

It's hard claiming that the plot is convincing when you juxtaposed to a series like Evangelion, where we see humanity actually dedicates all of its resources to fitting the angels. Where in Attack on Titan it comes across like actually fighting and winning the war against the titans is just a chore, that they don't even take that seriously.
    I haven't watched Evangelion, but would it be fair to say that the Angels are a constant threat that can pop up anytime, anywhere? There's the difference between Evangelion and Attack on Titan - in the latter setting, humanity thought themselves safe for 100 years, so they weren't constantly fearing for their lives. Before the 50-metre titan broke through Wall Maria, humans didn't even know that titans could grow that big, so they never thought they needed to be ready for an invasion on such a massive scale. The measures you're suggesting only make sense if people are constantly fearing for their lives, and that hasn't been the case until very recently. Let's not forget that members of the aristocracy don't seem to want to kill lots of titans... they may be horribly naive because they feel safe behind Wall Sina and an elite squadron of soliders, or there may be something underhand going on behind the scenes.

Also, all the subtitles on Crunchyroll said about the ultra-hard steel was that it could only be manufactured in the blast furnaces of factory cities, but in any case I don't think a shortage of ultra-hard steel is an issue since it's not going to used by anyone except the military.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
        Spoiler:- Gurren Lagann:
    Not everyone has seen Gurren Lagann.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPotato View Post
    Before the 50-metre titan broke through Wall Maria
    Not to nitpick, but the Colossal Titan is actually 60 meters. In the manga extras and in Episode 8, it does reveal the height and scale of all titans relative to the wall. Hence the Colossal Titan being able to see over the 50m wall. The rest is more or less spot on though; it was a matter of complacency. Humanity truly believed their walls would hold forever, due to keeping the Titans out for 100 years. Heck, that was discussed in the very episode/chapter.

Plus, it's politics. Keep the citizens complacent and relatively free of worry, and the people at the top can hold power because there doesn't appear to be any problems. Heck, the general populace thought the Scouting Legion was a waste of money because they'd leave the safety of the walls to fight against the Titans, with minimal success of course.

Not everyone has seen Gurren Lagann.
    It has literally been 6 years since Gurren Lagann came out, and I made it as non-specific as possible. There's no need for spoiler tags.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    It has literally been 6 years since Gurren Lagann came out, and I made it as non-specific as possible. There's no need for spoiler tags.
    Doesn't matter - not everyone has seen everything popular past a certain age threshold. For example, I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop (which ended 14 years ago), but I plan on watching it someday. But if you don't want to spoiler tag it for some reason (you might as well though imo, since the comment doesn't add anything for someone who hasn't seen Gurren Lagann), could you at least remove this bit? I'm sure people who had seen the series would know what you're talking about without it.

100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

I haven't watched Evangelion, but would it be fair to say that the Angels are a constant threat that can pop up anytime, anywhere? There's the difference between Evangelion and Attack on Titan - in the latter setting, humanity thought themselves safe for 100 years, so they weren't constantly fearing for their lives. Before the 50-metre titan broke through Wall Maria, humans didn't even know that titans could grow that big, so they never thought they needed to be ready for an invasion on such a massive scale. The measures you're suggesting only make sense if people are constantly fearing for their lives, and that hasn't been the case until very recently. Let's not forget that members of the aristocracy don't seem to want to kill lots of titans... they may be horribly naive because they feel safe behind Wall Sina and an elite squadron of soliders, or there may be something underhand going on behind the scenes.
    The Angels aren't a constant threat. In fact after the Second Impact and the wars calmed down, humanity for the most part went back to normal. However, the people who knew what was going on took steps to organize civil and military society to handle issues when the Angels did attack. For example they set up universal protocols and chain of command, and organized cities and infrastructure to deal with the threat. They treated it as a constant threat, even though the attack were infrequent. They dedicated a lot of people to conduct research and develop better tools for dealing with the Angels.

I just don't understand why you would consider yourself safe. Any sensible person could see that the wall system was eventually going to run into trouble. It's a defensive position, and it wasn't as if they were unaware that titans were still on the other side. They could see them scratching against the wall.

While we can't blame them for not knowing that the titans could in fact grow taller than the wall, we can blame them for living in ignorance about the enemy for 100 years. All of society doesn't have to be a constant state of martial law, but the information that they could have gathered on the enemy could be much better. Not to mention they could have been better prepared.

Even if the titans never broke down a piece of the wall, if you are assuming a defensive position you have to consider the potential uncertainties, and develop counter strategies or else you deserve to lose. And the humans in this show deserve the lose.

We haven't been given any indication yet that the walls closer to the center are any stronger than the outer most walls, which in itself is pretty silly, so why the aristocrats should feel secure is beyond me. Not to mention the steps they would need to take would not undermine their position within society. Expanding human territory only gives them more land to rule over, and if they are fixed within a certain area, a growing population would inevitably put a strain on their resources. Building more factories that produce the steel that can kill the titans wouldn't lead to a civil war anymore than allowing a blacksmith to open shop--of which we can see there are several--as humans are just as easily killed by a simple sword, whereas that unique type of steel is only truly worthwhile in killing titans.

If they had a 100 years they could expanded the wall into a more effective shape for defending and attacking.

The 3D maneuvering is cool, but any military person would tell you the ideal spot on the battlefield is actually away from the enemy, which is why throughout all of human civilization you have seen tactics focussing on getting away from the enemy, i.e. arrows > guns > missiles > drones. No one is developing getting up close as personal as your go to tactic.

Just as a comparison, in less than a hundred years we went from musket to the atomic bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerex View Post
    The Angels aren't a constant threat. In fact after the Second Impact and the wars calmed down, humanity for the most part went back to normal. However, the people who knew what was going on took steps to organize civil and military society to handle issues when the Angels did attack. For example they set up universal protocols and chain of command, and organized cities and infrastructure to deal with the threat. They treated it as a constant threat, even though the attack were infrequent. They dedicated a lot of people to conduct research and develop better tools for dealing with the Angels.

I just don't understand why you would consider yourself safe. Any sensible person could see that the wall system was eventually going to run into trouble. It's a defensive position, and it wasn't as if they were unaware that titans were still on the other side. They could see them scratching against the wall.

While we can't blame them for not knowing that the titans could in fact grow taller than the wall, we can blame them for living in ignorance about the enemy for 100 years. All of society doesn't have to be a constant state of martial law, but the information that they could have gathered on the enemy could be much better. Not to mention they could have been better prepared.

Even if the titans never broke down a piece of the wall, if you are assuming a defensive position you have to consider the potential uncertainties, and develop counter strategies or else you deserve to lose. And the humans in this show deserve the lose.

We haven't been given any indication yet that the walls closer to the center are any stronger than the outer most walls, which in itself is pretty silly, so why the aristocrats should feel secure is beyond me. Not to mention the steps they would need to take would not undermine their position within society. Expanding human territory only gives them more land to rule over, and if they are fixed within a certain area, a growing population would inevitably put a strain on their resources. Building more factories that produce the steel that can kill the titans wouldn't lead to a civil war anymore than allowing a blacksmith to open shop--of which we can see there are several--as humans are just as easily killed by a simple sword, whereas that unique type of steel is only truly worthwhile in killing titans.

If they had a 100 years they could expanded the wall into a more effective shape for defending and attacking.

The 3D maneuvering is cool, but any military person would tell you the ideal spot on the battlefield is actually away from the enemy, which is why throughout all of human civilization you have seen tactics focussing on getting away from the enemy, i.e. arrows > guns > missiles > drones. No one is developing getting up close as personal as your go to tactic.

Just as a comparison, in less than a hundred years we went from musket to the atomic bomb.
    It was implied that humanity actually lost a lot of their technology due to the Titans nearly driving them to extinction, in addition to losing a vast amount of land and resources by retreating within the walls. We may have gone from the musket to the atomic bomb in under a hundred years, but we had access to vastly more resources, in addition to great minds from people all over the world, and the ability to travel. Imagine if all of the world's population was concentrated in one place, and essentially caged in, unable to leave.

As for expanding the wall... well. There are certain reasons for that which are revealed in the manga, but given the anime hasn't gotten that far, that'd be major spoilers. So, that'll have to wait for another day!

To be fair though, why are we really comparing Evangelion and Attack on Titan? Different series, different settings. And you definitely don't want to apply real world logic to anime, for obvious reasons.

Doesn't matter - not everyone has seen everything popular past a certain age threshold. For example, I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop (which ended 14 years ago), but I plan on watching it someday. But if you don't want to spoiler tag it for some reason (you might as well though imo, since the comment doesn't add anything for someone who hasn't seen Gurren Lagann), could you at least remove this bit? I'm sure people who had seen the series would know what you're talking about without it.

Once again, I made it as non-specific as possible; ergo, it's not a spoiler. Anyone who hadn't seen Gurren Lagann would have gained nothing having seen my post. It's not as though I said     Spoiler:- Actual Gurren Lagann spoilers:
    , which would undoubtedly be an actual spoiler. I merely said I suspected the characters would function similarly, but in actuality, they didn't. So all it implies is that Kamina and Simon would function differently than Eren and Armin. But it did not specify how differently, so there are infinitely many possibilities as to how they might function differently.

I'm not removing it, because it's not a spoiler.

All I want to know is if Eren can become a titan anytime he wants. Because 'sheer will power' turned him into a titan the last time.
    Shaymin is amazing!
    ~ ★

Quote Originally Posted by (ˇ-ˇ)(o_O) View Post
    All I want to know is if Eren can become a titan anytime he wants. Because 'sheer will power' turned him into a titan the last time.
    when was that said O.o. and i doubt it. id like to see him actually use the maneuver gear
    Last edited by wingzx; 27th May 2013 at 4:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    when was that said O.o. and i doubt it. id like to see him actually use the maneuver gear
    Woop, sorry 'bout that. Let me quote.
    Narrator: "I'll exterminate all the Titans" It was Eren's ironclad determination that transformed him into a titan. Regardless, the garrison... (I'm not typing all of it)

That was the part after the ending song.
    Shaymin is amazing!
    ~ ★

Woop, sorry 'bout that. Let me quote.
    Narrator: "I'll exterminate all the Titans" It was Eren's ironclad determination that transformed him into a titan. Regardless, the garrison... (I'm not typing all of it)

That was the part after the ending song.
    ah that explains why i didnt know :P i usually dont watch once the ending song kicks in

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    ah that explains why i didnt know :P i usually dont watch once the ending song kicks in
    You should watch it then

Speaking of the preview: I have a huge feeling that Eren's dad had something to do with this...
    Shaymin is amazing!
    ~ ★

You should watch it then

Speaking of the preview: I have a huge feeling that Eren's dad had something to do with this...
    i dont like watching previews :P i wanna be suprised about wat happens next episode

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast