Thread: Godzilla!!!!!!!!! [Clear Skies OU Stall Team]

Default Defensive Gyarados. [Clear Skies OU Stall Team]

Hello raters, and welcome to my 2nd RMT. This again will be a stall team so don't get bored to death! My first team was a weather (sand) stall team that met some great success actually making the leaderboard on both PO/PS but just wasn't fun to play. My favorite Pokemon if no one knows is Gyarados as my username might suggest as Gyarados is the Atrocious Pokemon and has been a staple in the competitive battling scene basically since Pokemon has existed as a force to be reckoned with. It's bulk is very underrated and is seen as a once dominate offensive force but on this team, I utilize it's underrated bulk with it's ability to check various offensive threats such as Keldeo, Breloom, Choiced Terrakion, etc. I decided to surround Gyarados with others that could handle it's weaknesses and things that can benefit from it's resistances. Anyways, as I realized from my last RMT, it was way too big and needs to be somewhat shorter and more to the point.

Spoiler:- Team Building Process:

This has arguably been my best team I've built IMO in BW2 as a stall team. I am currently around 1830 rating with this team and I think it's potential is way up there for a stall team which have been widely known to be, lets say, not as good anymore. Anyways, enough of that, lets get to the team!

(Gyarados) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Tail
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt

Gyarados is widely seen utilizing offensive sets such as SubDD, ScarfDos, BanDos and such but I decided to utilize it's underrated defensive stats. With 95/79/100 defenses coupled with Intimidate, it can work as an admirable physical wall being able to check things like Keldeo, Volcorana that lack HP Rock, Gliscor, Scizor, Garchomp, etc. to name a few thanks to it's semi-unique typing. Waterfall gives it a decent STAB move that hits hard even without investment. Dragon Tail allows it to phaze out threats that may have accumulated boosts and rack up entry hazards. Thunder Wave allows it to render useless various threats it may encounter such as making Keldeo useless for the rest of the game by being para'd. Taunt shuts down Ferrothorn and Skarmory to name a few that commonly come in thinking this is a DD set. The EV's maximize it's physical bulk while giving it a Leftovers number and allows it to switch into rocks an extra time. This is the centerfold of this team and will not be swapped out under any circumstances. I will take suggestions on movepool and such however.

Spoiler:- Damage Calculations:

(Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpA / 220 SpD
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Spore
    - Stun Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power Ice

Amoonguss may be in the depths of RU, but it's typing and bulk is tailor made for the OU tier. With it's typing and bulk, it is able to wall a variety of rain common rain threats and shut them down with either Spore or Stun Spore such as Keldeo, Thundurus that hasn't gained a boost, SpecsToed, etc. Spore allows me to basically go 6-5, 5-4, 2-1 or whatever it may be by basically taking out a Pokemon for the battle. Stun Spore completes the Double Status combo with Spore + Stun Spore. Basically, I Spore the initial Pokemon and more likely than not, it'll switch where the incoming Pokemon then gets a Stun Spore to the face effectively crippling 2 Pokemon in a matter of seconds. Giga Drain is the best offensive option it has dealing decent damage to various Water typed Pokemon and gives it some source of recovery. Hidden Power Ice let's it deal damage to Thundurus-T and Breloom. The EV's allow it to maximize special bulk while being able to 2HKO Thundurus-T 100% of the time with HP Ice factoring in SR damage. Amoonguss here as been a valuable asset to the team pairing very nicely with Gyarados taking repeated Thunderbolts and such that are constantly aimed at Gyarados while Gyarados takes various fire attacks and such that Amoonguss takes. It's ability to use Double Status very well is a great benefit to the team.

Spoiler:- Damage Calculations:

(Heatran) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
    Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Protect

Heatran here completes the infamous FWG defensive core. It's base 106 defenses are nothing to laugh at and is the only fire type to take neutral damage to rocks making it a viable defensive fire type. With my Amoonguss + Gyarados + Heatran trio, they are able to check a wide variety of offensive threats. Lava Plume is a decent STAB move that can toast opposing Steel types and that 30% burn chance is invaluable on switch-ins like Tyranitar and Terrakion. Stealth Rock is SR, a must on almost every team. Roar allows me to phaze and rack up that entry damage. Protect allows me another turn of Leftovers recovery and scout moves, particularly from Choiced threats that may try to predict a switch.

(Jirachi) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    - Wish
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunder
    - Psyshock

Jirachi is one of the most versatile Pokemon in the game with it's extensive movepool and ability to run a multitude of sets. For this particular team I needed a Wish passer as this team has a lack of reliable recovery. I could use the pink blobs to pass massive Wishes however they cannot do anything offensively but Seismic Toss. I use a Wish + CM set here which is better on defensive typed teams like this than the SubCM set. This set works great against Rain teams as they are lacking of good physical threats so I can come in on something like Forretress or something and proceed to setup. Wish is a must on this team as it provides a source of recovery to Gyarados and such. Calm Mind turns Jirachi from a defensive threat to a offensive force that must be dealt with if they want to avoid being crushed. Thunder coupled with it's 60% paralysis chance (Serene Grace) is a benefit for this team. Psyshock allows me to win CM wars and provides as a great STAB attack. Stall teams need some sort of an offensive force now and Jirachi is great for it as it doesn't sacrifice defensive synergy.

(Donphan) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Stone Edge

I had Forretress here but 3 Steels? Magnezone would run through this team, particularly SubChargeZone. I opted for Donphan because of its respectable physical bulk and ability to spin while hitting hard. Earthquake + Stone Edge gives Donphan the great EdgeQuake combo that has great neutral coverage on just about everything. Ice Shard makes Donphan an emergency revenge killer on various Dragons or the Ground/Flying group of Landorus, etc. Rapid Spin allows me to spin away hazards. Not much to say about Donphan here.

(Xatu) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 / 220 Def / 36 Spe
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    - Reflect
    - U-Turn
    - Heat Wave
    - Roost

Xatu is a extra check to prevent hazards from entering my side of the field. Reflect bolsters the team's defense which is arguably the team's weaker side. U-Turn allows me to get out of there while being able to scout and perhaps hit stuff like Lati@s that may come in somewhat hard. Heat Wave toasts Ferrothorn and Forretress which Xatu will commonly come into and block hazards. Roost provides a reliable source of recovery that the team lacks. The EVs allow it to take numerous Fighting attacks that it's typing is made for. Rocky Helmet punishes U-Turners and random Fighting moves.

I love playing with this team I basically handcrafted. It has decent defensive synergy and at a current PS rating of 1825, I believe it just need a few tweaks before it can hit the next level.

Spoiler:- Replays:

Spoiler:- Importable:

Last edited by Atrocious; 8th April 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Threat List:

Starmie - This thing's coverage added with Natural Cure makes this thing pretty hard to beat and can weaken this team heavily. In rain, Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt/Psyshock coverage does painful damage to the team. It can't entirely OhKO everything so I'll usually have to play around it most of the time sacking Donphan with Sturdy and dealing 50%+ to it where Amoonguss will finish it off with Giga Drain.

Venusaur - Purely Growth Special sets aren't as hard but the Mixed Venusaur set can be problematic. It can carry EQ to smack Heatran. Once again I'll probably have to use Donphan with EQ + Ice Shard.
    Last edited by Atrocious; 7th April 2013 at 8:25 PM.

Bump,...:c

The fact that you only have rocks as a hazard is weird, as is the fact that the main status you run is t wave instead of toxic.

CS stall is much harder to run then sand and rain as you need to cover more threats.
    Gyarados confuses me, most stall dos`s i see are rest talk which gives him a reliable recovery so i would suggest the change. Love amoongus right now, especially with bulky dos, they counter so many common threats, but aside from countering thunderus he doesnt do a lot for your team, i would try celebi as celebi has the same bulk roughly, better physical def, and access to heal bell as status are a pain for stall.
    As the team stands, stall breaker kyurem b destroys it as it easily gets a sub on xatu, amoonguss, and heatran if you protect or its sp bulky and sweeps, rachi is 2-3hkoed and cant really do much back. I would suggest changing rachi to a sp def set to better handle it and with perish song celebi, beat other stall threats like latias and reuncilus. I would change back to fortress as he provides a solid physical wall and spikes which is more then donphan does, as well as volt switch to scout. I would change xatu to toxic stall gliscor as xatu really is redundant and terrible on stall while gliscor can stop terrakion better then does, has 2 solid recoveries and can spread toxic around to help kill off threats