Thread: Pokemon White - Post Elite 4 Team

Default Pokemon White - Post Elite 4 Team

Alright guys I just recently beat the Elite 4 and my pokemon are all around level 50. Here's my current team:

Lilligant
    Serious - Own Tempo
    Sleep Powder
    Petal Dance
    Giga Drain
    Quiver Dance

Scrafty
    Jolly - Shed Skin
    Hi Jump Kick
    Crunch
    Strength
    Rock Slide

Starmie
    Modest - Natural Cure
    Surf
    Psychic
    Ice Beam
    Minimize (I need to replace this one. Suggest moves)

Chandelure
    Naive - Flash Fire
    Shadow Ball
    Flamethrower
    Toxic
    Fire Blast

Jolteon

[In Training]

Flygon

[In Training]

I still need some help figuring out what to use for Jolteon's moveset guys. Thanks!
    - Cam
    Last edited by cfarm99; 15th April 2013 at 12:36 AM.
    I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!

Petal Dance + Chlorophyll isn't that good a combination on Lilligant; she'd much prefer to run Petal Dance and Own Tempo so she won't be confused after Petal Dance. But since you don't want to retrain a Lilligant, drop Petal Dance for Quiver Dance and Synthesis for Leech Seed. Quiver Dance is an amazing move; +1 SpA, +1 SpD and +1 Spe. There's really no reason not to use it on Lilligant. The Sleep Powder + Leech Seed combination work well to help you set up heaps of Quiver Dances (by first putting your opponent to sleep) and regaining a bit of lost health through Leech Seed while you boost. You don't really need Synthesis since Potions exist in-game. Giga Drain is fine to be your only STAB move on this set.

Ice Punch > Rock Slide on Scrafty; while they are both useful for hitting Flying-types, Ice Punch has better accuracy which is helpful. Once you push all those boulders away, you won't need Strength and it's outclassed by all your other moves as well so replace it with Bulk Up to boost your Attack and Defence.

Definitely go with Modest on Sigilyph, as it's best when it's sweeping in-game. Sigilyph gets Energy Ball so you can go with that > Thunderwave since you're worried about Rock-types. Personally I'd also drop Fly for Heat Wave to hit Steel-types who would otherwise wall you, though I understand if you'd prefer to keep Fly for travelling purposes.

On Chandelure, you don't need both Flamethrower and Fire Blast because they both serve the same purpose, just with different power, accuracy and PP. Choose whichever one you prefer and replace the other with Energy Ball to hit Water- and Rock-types. Also go with Calm Mind > Toxic to boost your SpA further; Toxic isn't that great on Chandelure since imo he's far better when he's just trying to sweep.

I'll give you some help on Ampharos and Walrein later on or when you add their info in.

Ok so I could retrain Lilligant because I just realized that I have another Sun Stone. I'll start working on that today but I need to know what nature to use. I need lots of help on Ampharos and I don't want to recatch a Walrein, but if I really need to I can. When I decide to breed a new Scrafty I will definitely try to get Ice Punch on it, but that's not a priority yet. First I need to retrain a Lilligant, maybe a modest or timid one, and then retrain a Sigilyph. On Sigilyph I wouldn't want energy ball because I'm worried about fighting types that know rock moves like stone edge and rock slide, but not the actual rock types. I might replace Thunder Wave with Calm Mind, but I would rather try to find a move that buffs his defense stat to prevent those rock moves from wiping him out. I will replace Chandelure's Toxic with Calm Mind right now since it was just there from when he had Hex.
    I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!

Ampharos wants Focus Blast > Cotton Spore.

Walrein is easily replaceable for something else, as it's Attacking stats are pretty awful. If you are intending to use it with that in mind, I'd drop Earthquake for Toxic, and Surf for Substitute, as it is a pretty bulky Pokemon. It can still be used offensively, but it's offensive Movepool is shallow. Offensively, it can run Surf / Ice Beam / Substitute / Hidden Power (if it is Electric, Fighting or Ground). Otherwise, use Toxic in the last slot.

Hope this helps.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

Honestly, my Walrein isn't awful at attacking because of his modest nature. I don't know what to do about a ground type though because his Earthquake really isn't that powerful since he is modest, and he is weak to electric types so he would need to kill them fast. Any suggestions on how I could add a ground type to my team? Also, on Ampharos, he has Cotton Guard, not Cotton Spore. Cotton Guard raises his defense stat so he is less susceptible to moves like Earthquake.
    I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!

Give Ampharos Focus Blast > Cotton Guard to hit Steel-types, and Signal Beam > Volt Switch to hit Grass-types who resist your STAB move.

Lilligant can run Modest or Timid nature. Since you're retraining it, either go with Own Tempo + Petal Dance / Quiver Dance / Leech Seed / Sleep Powder, or Chlorophyll + Giga Drain / Quiver Dance / Leech Seed / Sleep Powder for the reasons I stated in my previous post; however if you happen to get one with Hidden Power [Rock] or [Fire] definitely use it > Leech Seed on whichever set since it gets Lilligant some much needed coverage.

Yeah I wouldn't advise running Earthquake when your Walrein has a Modest nature. As for adding a Ground-type to your team, the best way I can see this working is by replacing Scrafty with Krookodile.

Krookodile
    Moxie / Intimidate
    Adamant / Jolly nature
    ~ Bulk Up
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Outrage / Rock Slide

It's your choice between Moxie and Intimidate. Personally I like Moxie since once you get a KO or two, you can really decimate a team, but you might prefer the pseudo-defence buff from Intimidate. Your call. Bulk Up for boosting your Attack and Defence; if you're running Moxie, this helps in getting your first KO so you can get a Moxie boost, but either way the Bulk Up boosts are really helpful. Crunch + Earthquake are your STAB moves and together they get very good coverage. The last move is filler so it's up to you whether you want to run Rock Slide to hit Ice-types, or Outrage for an all-out attacking move.

Quote Originally Posted by cfarm99 View Post
    On Sigilyph I wouldn't want energy ball because I'm worried about fighting types that know rock moves like stone edge and rock slide, but not the actual rock types. I might replace Thunder Wave with Calm Mind, but I would rather try to find a move that buffs his defense stat to prevent those rock moves from wiping him out.
    If Defense boosting is your intent, you're looking for Cosmic Power, but in-game it's not that great. It's typically used in combination with Stored Power, but it takes a while (and quite a few buffs) for the combination to be useful, far longer than is necessary for in-game enemies.

I wouldn't exactly say Walrein's attacking stats are awful, but they're not great either. Base 95 SpA is good but unspectacular although its base 80 attack is sort of borderline. A Modest one isn't going to hit very hard with Earthquake, and to be fair Walrein shouldn't be staying in on Electric types anyway. Replace it with Toxic; it has the bulk to stall a bit.

Cotton Guard is also a total gimmick on Ampharos; it's pretty slow, so chances are you're going to eat an Earthquake or other physical attack before you can ever use Cotton Guard. It appreciates Focus Blast's coverage more to be able to hit Steel and Rock types much harder, especially those with Ground Typings making them immune to your STAB.

Personally, if you want a ground type, I think your weakest link would be Lilligant. You could just as easily stick Energy Ball on Chandelure and/or Sigilyph for your grass needs, and then pack a ground type in her place. Flygon and Excadrill are your best options (Krookodile is also great, but slightly redundant with Scrafty). Viable sets would look something like:

Flygon
    Adamant/Jolly
    Levitate
    -Fire Punch
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide

Excadrill
    Adamant/Jolly
    Sand Rush/Mold Breaker (You'll get more out of Mold Breaker since you're not running Sandstorm, but not sure if you'll have access to a DW one)
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Shadow Claw/X-Scissor/Iron Head (Whatever you want for coverage)
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Same difference really.

The thing with Walrein is it's movepool is far too shallow. Try Flygon > Walrein with Fire Blast / Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Rock Slide.

Also, Zhanton, did you even bother reading my post? You repeated basically what I said.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

Okay so after reading everything that was said I'm even more confused as to what I need to do. Maybe I should just start over.
    I need these types:
    Water, Ice, Flying, Dark, Fighting, Fire, Ghost, Grass, Ground, Psychic, and Electric.

Right now I am doing it like this:
    Ghost + Fire = Chandelure
    Grass = Lilligant
    Dark + Fighting = Scrafty
    Psychic + Flying = Sigilyph
    Water + Ice = Walrein
    Electric = Ampharos

This clearly isn't going to work well because of two main things. Walrein isn't exactly a good pokemon that clearly needs to be changed, and I don't have a ground pokemon in my party. I need help fixing these problems while keeping these things in mind:
    1. I don't want to lose Lilligant or Chandelure.
    2. I like pokemon that have high speed and attack / special attack (sweepers), but it's not really necessary if they have other specialties.
    3. I need someone that can use Fly.
    4. I'm ok losing Sigilyph, Scrafty, and Ampharos.

I'm going to ask for anyone who feels like it to suggest some new pokemon keeping those 4 things in mind. Thanks guys. I know this is getting annoying.
    - Cam
    I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!

In that case, replace Sigilyph with Flygon, and replace Walrein with Starmie.

Starmie
    Timid Nature
    Natural Cure
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic

Flygon
    Adamant/Jolly Nature
    Levitate
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Punch
    -Fly

Starmie's got coverage out the wazoo, and can pretty much hit anything you want it to. Flygon covers your ground need, bringing an immunity to electric, while simultaneously adding an immunity to ground. It also learns Fly, so there you have it. Both have good speed and respective offenses.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Alright I have my Starmie and now I'm gonna get started on training my Jolteon to look like this:

Jolteon
    Bold - Volt Absorb
    Thunderbolt
    Work Up
    Toxic
    Protect

I really don't know how to effectively use a Jolteon, so this is my first attempt at putting together a good move set. Thunderbolt is there for a reliable STAB to work with Work Up for big damage. Toxic is only on there to stall with protect, even though Jolteon is not at all a bulky pokemon. If anyone has good ideas on movesets, please feel free to help me. I'm really lost here.
    Last edited by cfarm99; 15th April 2013 at 12:59 AM.
    I LOVE ICE CREAM!!!

Jolteon wants this move set:

Jolteon
    Timid Nature

Thunderbolt
    Thunder Wave
    Signal Beam
    Shadow Ball
    3DS FC: 3926 5164 7887 Name: Brady

DotA 2 Enthusiast