Thread: What Makes You Keep Reading?

Default A Few Questions

Ok So I have a couple of more questions I want to ask while I still work on my Fan Fiction.

1.) What about a past fan fiction that you have read makes you keep wanting to read it? Is it the plot? Is it the comedy? Is it the characters? What exactly made it so good?

2.) Would creating new moves by combination of two moves be necessarily a bad thing? By that I mean I have an idea in my story planned out that revolves around combining two moves together by the use a special something related to my story. Would this idea sound kind of weird to you guys?

3.) What does being over descriptive truly mean? I've never heard of the term but I've seen a couple of fics where someone posted that it was overly descriptive, so I wanted to know what that meant.

Thanks
    Last edited by TheBlackDuelist; 9th April 2013 at 7:33 AM.
    Fan Fic: Nexus Renegade
    When a new dimension is created and gives birth to three terrors of the world. The Nexus will judge you
    Currently Under Revision
    Special Thanks to Inudono19 for the Badass Morph of the Creation Trio

Hey there again friend.

I take it you want answers to these questions as they would help a lot regarding your fan fic. So, her goes.

1.A very good fanfic i have been reading is 'Reflecting Balance' by DarkerShining. What brings me back to it is the characters and the general setting. Each character, major or minor, have personalities. This makes reading far more enjoyable and humorous. Also the story and theme is believable and brilliantly descriptive. I suppose the easiest way to demonstrate it is if you read it yourself.

2.Creating new moves is a brilliant idea. In the games there is already the Pledge moves, yet in the anime the pokemon can use normal moves to different effects, as you may have seen. However, if you mean new combo moves entirely, by all means go ahead. It's creative, and great is executed well. As long as they make sense, its great. Say in a double battle, a Dragonite uses Dragon Rage and Salamence uses Hyper Beam, the attacks create Hyper Dragon. You can have that one from me, but its up to you how it looks!

3. Over description. Everyone loves description, it cam truly convey beauty or darkness of a scene. However, while no description is bad, over description effectively is explaining every thing in a room.
    For example 'The trainer walked into the dark room, stepping on the soft blue rug. The room contained twenty large candles, a large green sofa, three wooden chairs and a large table by the window at the far wall'.
    As you may have noticed, the description in that extract was useless and almost boring. All you need to do is describe the certain important details well, the there is little need to overload the reader with details. Balance is key.

Hope I've been helpful, and i am looking forward to reading your fanfic!

Good luck

SeekerofLight
    Hi! SeekerofLight here, always aiming to help peeps out in all their gaming and writing needs... provided I myself have been given help about the topic...

Incoming! A brand new fic starting soon!
    Watch this space. Yes, literally, THIS space, below this!

Hey thanks Seeker, you're always there for me and I really appreciate it.

Thanks for explaining about the over description and about the new move idea. I've always loved fusions between moves in my stories that I've made up in my mind and now I can't wait to actually put to place.

That story you mentioned sounds pretty good, I'm going to give it a try.
    When a new dimension is created and gives birth to three terrors of the world. The Nexus will judge you
    Currently Under Revision

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackDuelist View Post
    Ok So I have a couple of more questions I want to ask while I still work on my Fan Fiction.

1.) What about a past fan fiction that you have read makes you keep wanting to read it? Is it the plot? Is it the comedy? Is it the characters? What exactly made it so good?

2.) Would creating new moves by combination of two moves be necessarily a bad thing? By that I mean I have an idea in my story planned out that revolves around combining two moves together by the use a special something related to my story. Would this idea sound kind of weird to you guys?

3.) What does being over descriptive truly mean? I've never heard of the term but I've seen a couple of fics where someone posted that it was overly descriptive, so I wanted to know what that meant.

Thanks
    I'm not really an experienced writer, but I have read quite a few Fics, so I can point out a few things I look for in a fic-

1. The opening chapters are actually what keeps me hooked to a fic. There should be enough plot or humor in the first few chapters to keep me wondering about what will happen next. It's sort of like if there's a very good plot, humour's not really necessary, and vice-versa.

2. Creating new moves is perfectly fine with me, but if it's a move that's learnt by a common pokemon, it shouldn't really be overpowered. But if it was some special pokemon learning the move, like Giratina, it could cause the end of the world for all I care.

Anyway, as I stated before, this is just my opinion. I'll be looking forward to your fanfic!

For one thing, when I search for various characters of my choice on FFN (since it's slightly harder to do here, but it still applies for Serebii), I look for the story with good grammar. Usually the summary will tell me from a glance whether the person can write a decent sentence or not. If it pulls me in, I'll check it out. If the first chapter has a great hook, then I stay in a little longer.

That's the exterior part of it.

The meat and potatoes are the story and characters, and you need a good balance between them. You can have an awesome story, but you can have the characters who are one-dimensional (maybe two at best). You can have well-rounded characters, but they can get stuck in a bad story. So I look for that balance, as close to evenly-balanced as possible. And for the most part, even if I like the characters, the story is what keeps me reading if it's interesting enough. I'm the type to go looking for romance stories, so those tend to get bland if the writer is not creative with the relationship between the characters. But that's not to say I haven't read my own share of other genres as well, and they can fall victim to blandness as well.

Every single genre can be bland if the writer is not creative enough to put their own spin to it. Yes, I know there's only like seven plots and a story can use one, or two, or all seven if it chooses, but if there isn't a creative twist to those plots, then you just have an average or bad story on your hands. And that's why I like reading, both published fiction and fan fiction, even if I'm just left disappointed half of the time. I technically should have a better chance of a good story with a published story, but there are bad pieces of literature out there as well. Fan fiction may have a bad reputation of being horribly written rehashes of shows, but there are a good amount of really good ones floating around, it just takes a good eye to find them. And that's what makes the good stories that much more satisfying, and thus keeps me coming back to it.

Also, I get bored easily. I have to entertain myself somehow when all-else fails.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Thanks both of you guys for your responses. I've come a little closer to better understanding what exactly I need to create the perfect balance of having well thought out and versatile characters and a well thought out and prominent plot that keeps pushing forward as the protagonist builds character development.
    Currently Under Revision

Fan fiction that begs the reader to "pedal faster" from the get-go; opening the story on an action scene involving the protagonist that is intrinsic to the overall plot. We don't need a big dump of info. All the readers require of the author is a narrative where the characters reveal themselves through their interactions and reactions to their surroundings. Likewise the plot should reveal itself in a similar manner. These are what keep me reading a fan fiction.

1. A good storyline needs a hook and characters people will care about or at least be interested to see what becomes of them. Those characters also need to have strengths and weaknesses, as well as good aspects of their personalities and personal faults. You don't want to make them pathetic in hopes the reader will take pity on them, but you don't want them to easily coast through everything. Also, the main characters should be challenged and should have to struggle for their successes and even their failures. It makes them more realistic and believable. That, and with varying personalities, readers will take a liking to particular characters and will want to keep reading to see what becomes of them.

Setting is also vital. You need to make your story and the world you put before the reader interesting and worth exploring further. If there's nothing amiss or unique about what's going on, the reader is going to search elsewhere. But most importantly, people read fiction to briefly escape the everyday norm of typical life. If your story just focuses too much on the everyday material and doesn't truly delve into what should be unique and out of the ordinary, they'll close the book.

2. It could work, but then you might need to rework things with the type chart. Unless it really plays an important role in your story to have combo moves, I wouldn't consider it.

3. Overly descriptive means you pit stop the story for too long just to describe one particular thing. Sure, some description is necessary, but don't make the reader have to spend the next ten minutes just to learn about every nook and cranny in the room a particular character is in if there's really no constructive reason for it.

I also should mention that you should really only describe what is necessary and what characters interact with.

This is an example of being overly descriptive.

She was tired and angry. Angry about having been betrayed by everyone she knew. Her pink t-shirt was filthy and dirty, her blue jeans were beat-up and rugged, and her hair was a mess. Meanwhile, her bed with the white sheets and the blue flowers wasn't made, and her pillow was lying on the floor. The clay lamp in the corner was unlit. Her wooden dresser was old, the room was dusty, and the floor hadn't been cleaned in weeks. Both windows were shut, the window sills were starting to crack, and the closet doors had been broken for years.
    Bottom line is no one really cares that much about how the room looks, but you've made a pit stop in the story just to go really into detail about the room and her clothing when it really wasn't necessary. Meanwhile, it makes the room seem more noteworthy than the female character, which really shouldn't be the case. If you want to describe something, it really should be something the character interacts with and pays at least some attention to. You could rewrite that above passage to be something like this:

She was tired and angry, and as she ripped off her black sneakers and threw them toward the pitted wall, she knocked over the clay lamp that had been resting on her old, wooden nightstand, smashing it into pieces. But she didn't give a damn. She was angry, angry about having been betrayed by everyone she knew. And she looked and felt like a wreck. She hated her filthy, pink t-shirt that she was only wearing because she got it for her birthday and her mother would be annoyed if she never wore it. And then there were the jeans that no one liked but her. Even if they were beat-up and rugged, she didn't care what anyone else thought.

As she stood up, she stamped across the dusty floor of her bedroom and looked out the dusty window with its cracked sill. The backyard was still a joke with its weeds overtaking the yard. As she spotted the one last daffodil in the back, surrounded by the encroaching crab grass, she couldn't help but feel the same way, like everyone around her just wanted a piece of her for themselves. As she turned away, she got a clear reminder how everything in the room reminded her about how much she hated home. The old dresser that was against the wall reminded her of her grandmother, the same witch that insulted her constantly when she was just a girl. It was only given to her because they had nowhere else to put it after her grandmother died. As she went to change her shirt, she saw the dent in the second drawer again, the one caused by her brother throwing his baseball at her one of the many times they had gotten into a fight. As if she really needed another reminder why she hated him too.

She then headed over to the closet, the same one with the cracked doors and the musty clothing inside. She then grabbed her rugged, gray hoodie at random, feeling rebellious. She threw it on, covering the dirty, pink t-shirt she hated, and pulled the hood up over her head, shadowing her face. As long as she kept away from people, they'd learn to leave her alone.
    So yeah, it was worth describing these things because one, the character interacts with them, and two, as she's looking at these things, they're telling a part of the story as well. You get a sense of the character's feelings, how her surroundings affect her, and how each thing she does contributes to the story. Meanwhile, you're only describing the things that need to be described. If the bed has white sheets and blue flowers, that's fine, but that doesn't tell us anything about her or what her situation is like. If it's not important, let the reader decide through their own imagination and just keep the story moving along. If it's a bedroom, we can already assume there's a bed and it's probably not in good condition considering how the rest of the room is like. But if you really want to bring it out, just make that object or thing have a meaningful impact on the character focused on. Maybe in this case, the bed could be like her refuge, a place for her to just cry herself to sleep. Then would be a good moment to describe it.

Other than that, everything else really should just be touch and go.

^ Thank you so much for answering some of my questions I had on previous topics. So let's just recap

1.) So what you're essentially saying is that you should strive to make your characters as realistic as possible so that the reader can relate to them and gain a sort of bond with them? I can see what you mean by that. I've read a few fics where the characters were so well done that I wanted them to succeed in every battle. In order to go about doing this, I should aim to give all of my characters dynamic traits that make their personalities stand out and differentiate between them. Ok I understand by that.

2.) About my combo idea. The whole thing does actually have plot relevance and it's not just something I made up for the heck of it. The power of combination is sort of like a gift from the protagonist's item that allows him other several unique abilities. I'm not trying to make him into a Mary Sue by giving him super natural abilities, all of them somehow relate to one another and there is a specific reason why he has it in the first place. Under these circumstances, do you think it would still be acceptable?

3.) I was screaming up and down when you explained this one because it happens so much. I always come across so many fan fictions that tend to describe everything right down to the laces. It gets so annoying having to read about 3 paragraphs on how "angry" a person was and how their clothes were apparently feeling their rage. What I should go for is painting the general idea or image so that the reader can derive his own idea of what is going on but still it should relatively be the same as what the author was thinking.

Thank you all for the awesome tips, I've been searching around the forum for the past few weeks picking up tips on everything I would need. Hopefully, I don't disappoint with my first fan fiction I'll be posting sometime soon.
    Currently Under Revision

1.) I keep reading if the plot is original, and the mood changes to match the situation, like comedy is often the mood when the Team Rocket Trio are around, or how everything becomes tense when a Legendary Pokémon is seen acting aggressively. I also like a bit of comedy, and I'm beginning to become a bit of an Advanceshipper. If you're using anime characters, then make sure to make them act like how they would in the games. If not, then just keep their personalities consistent.

2.) I think that new move combinations would be great; I liked how they were in the D/P series, and I'd love to see more combinations as long as they make sense (i.e. I doubt that Water Gun and Frenzy Plant would work well together).

3.) Basically what everyone else is saying.
        Spoiler:- My best teams:

What about a past fan fiction that you have read makes you keep wanting to read it? Is it the plot? Is it the comedy? Is it the characters? What exactly made it so good?

An exciting plot (epic quests to save the world are always encouraged, but not required). and characters that do well on their own and have camaraderie with the other characters

Would creating new moves by combination of two moves be necessarily a bad thing? By that I mean I have an idea in my story planned out that revolves around combining two moves together by the use a special something related to my story. Would this idea sound kind of weird to you guys?

It depends on which two moves you are combining and how the result will be used--something like the Golden Pikachu Ash did would possibly seen as cheap or lame (unless you really really knew what you were doing), but given the right moves and a good reason for it, it could work.

What does being over descriptive truly mean? I've never heard of the term but I've seen a couple of fics where someone posted that it was overly descriptive, so I wanted to know what that mean

Taking three pages just to describe a piece of grass, for example

On the first question, I'll have to agree with Kutie Pie. I love a well-written story. It basically tells me the writer takes the time to actually write, and it'd be down to me as a reader to appreciate the effort. Plots that either haven't been used before or are used incredibly sparingly are also a major plus in my book.

For numbers two and three, I side with FlamingRuby. Speaking of which, 'three pages to describe a blade of grass'? Whoa.... and I thought I was verbose... :P

Basically, you've got a great advice base already. Good luck with your venture!

L@er!
    The Corei Quest's latest chapter: Chapter Forty Seven: Tricks of the Trade (24 April 2014)
    PROJECT C-SQUARE STATUS = 100.00% Complete (11-12-2010, ca. 2:40pm GMT)
    HEART OF SEVEN STONES IS ON INDEFINITE HIATUS (REAPED) UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
    Butt-ugly Banner by Me
    (Still waiting on the excellent Saffire Persian for another awesome TCQ banner!)

1) Something that makes a fic standout from others. A good first chapter, a story that just has to make you keep reading to find out what's next.
    2) No, it's not weird. In fact, I think that would be pretty cool. May have to do that in my fic... XD
    3) Spending too much time on something that doesn't need that much description. If the pants were white, you don't need to point out every details about them if the topic is who stole the pants... I know, a weird example. LOL

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard