Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Smash! Discussion Thread

Default Pokémon Smash! Discussion Thread

Since many people end up discussing Smash in threads where it doesn't belong, we've decided to make this thread to discuss Smash each week, especially as more people seem to watch it weekly, regardless of it being news. (We may move the thread to Anime Discussion since it's classed under that officially)

We'll keep you up to date with the episodes each week. In the meantime, here's a rundown written by Dephender

What is Pokémon Smash?

Ever since 1999, Japan has had a secondary Pokémon TV series running concurrently with the anime series. Pokémon Smash is the fourth of these series, and can largely be considered a rebranding of the third series, Pokémon Sunday, the bigget difference between the two being that whereas Sunday was primarily a comedy show with a loose Pokémon theme applied to the skits, Smash is largely centered around what goes on in the franchise at the time.

Please note that Pokémon Smash is primarily a comedy show for children promoting the franchise and showing off various new products and revelations. It occasionally shows off never-before-seen gameplay footage when demoing upcoming video games, and The Pokémon Company sometimes chooses them as the outlet to reveal certain news, but they are not, and have never been, a show focused on news, and most of the material they present as new has been promoted in other outlets earlier that week. The intended audience for these presentations are little kids who don't follow the franchise closely, not grown-ups who check Pokémon news sites multiple times a day to constantly stay up to date.

Who are the hosts of Pokémon Smash?
    Pokémon Smash is run by the fictional "Pokémon Enterprise", and the various hosts are divided up in different division of the comany.

Chief Golgo
    Comedian Golgo Matsumoto, member of the comedy duo TIM (an acronym for Time Is Money). He runs the show, is typically the person to introduce various segments or give out tasks to the other members, as well as yell at them when they are goofing off or otherwise not doing their jobs properly.

The Research Division: Professor Red
    Comedian Red Yoshida, the other member of TIM. His primary purpose in the show is to "invent" props used for various physical comedy skits. He also acts as somewhat of a right-hand man to Golgo, and the two host various sements where they enteract with children, running quiz shows and other contests.

The Adventure Division: Director Lucario, Group Member Yamamoto (in red), Group Member Akiyama (in yellow) and Group Member Baba (in green)

Hiroshi Yamamoto, Ryuji Akiyama and Hiroyuki Baba, members of the comedy trio Robert. The Adventure Division is the "field team" of the group, and most episodes are centered around a lengthy skit they do, often together with other comedians.

The Marketing Division: Director Shoko-tan and Oshawott

"Nerd idol" and singer Shoko Nakagawa's main purpose is hosting the segments centered around Pokémon news. Oshawott runs its own occasional segment called Oshawott's Tweets, where it reminds people (via voice overs) of various event and promotions currently going on.

The International Division: Neese (in red), Noemi (in green), Niccolo (in yellow) and Maru (in white)

Half-Japanese children who seemingly serve as hosts for the target audience to identify with. They occasionally get to accompany the Adventure Division on their outings, but rarely do a whole lot beyond that.

What does Pokémon Smash cover?
    An episode of Pokémon Smash is typically split into three parts.

The first part is almost always a rerun of an old anime episode. As of right now, children can write in to the show to request episodes starring their favorite Pokéon, whereas previously they have often shown episodes that somehow tie into something currently going on in the franchise, as well as theme months.

The second part is usually a skit that ties into something currently going on in the franchise. The show actively promotes the video games, the TCG, the arcade game Pokémon Tretta and the movies, as well as occasionally the TV anime series, and the skits usually tie into new or upcoming releases in one of these categories. These are usually hosted by the Adventure Division.

The third part is either a segment where Shoko-tan presents some current Pokémon news, or a battle between a TV viewer and one of the hosts. If the viewer manages to defeat the host, they get to choose one of the hosts Pokémon and have it traded to their game.

When does Pokémon Smash air?
    Pokémon Smash airs on TV Tokyo every Sunday at 7:30 AM Japanese time. There is unfortunately no legal way to watch the show outside Japan, but our friends at Pocketmonsters.net has an up-to-date episode guide with pictures and in-depth summaries of most episodes.

April 14th 2013: A Journey to a Mysterious Island as an Early Preview of Decolora Adventure

The new anime series, Decolora Adventure, starts in just two weeks. The series is centered around the adventures Ash, Iris and Cilan experience in the Decolora Islands. In order to promote this, this week's episode of Pokémon Smash has Ash Akiyama, Iris Yamamoto and Cilan Baba travel around between islands as well. They find an island where Golgo's Sableye acts like a nice guy, and where Director Lucario is able to use Aura Blast... just what kind of island is this? Also, Baba has his first battle against a TV viewer in the new battle stage, with Yamamoto providing commentary. This time he shows off an amazing combo involving Excadrill

Rerun Episode: Sweet Baby James
    Discuss

Nobody saw this yet?
    Lol,who thinks Mewtwo will have a new form...or will the new pokemon be its own pokemon.
    Who's tired of the forms,lol.

(Can not get infracted,it has to do with the pokemon Mewthree which they showed in SMASH)~
    Signature edited due to breaking the signature rules, read them before editing your sig.

Yeah, but really discussion of the new Mewtwo form belongs in our XY forum. This thread is really about the non-news contents of Pokémon Smash

Not to mention the upcoming episode is going to promote Decolora Adventure, not anything XY-related.

New episode of Pokemon Smash: Airs 21st April:
    "Decisive Match! Hikari VS Haruka!! / The Adventure Division Investigate Mewtwo! / The Latest News on the International Division",

Information about he movie in it. Probably a rehash of the trailer on Oha Suta but who knows.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm

Serebii, Bulbagarden

Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.

Uh, I have no comments about Director Lucario. Looks like he/she/it doesn't have much importance other than being there.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

I really like the Mijumaru, Pokabu, Pikachu, Tsutarja toy thing. The kid smashers are adorable too as well as the 3DS figurines that attach to it. The island of Mijumaru is weird.

Ursaring, Oshawott in love, house of Pokemon. We got some new previews, small but new.

In what places do they show pokemon smash. I live in the u.s,Pennsylvania and there's no Pokemon Smash.
    I just hear about the info on here or Pokemon Smash episode on Youtube.
    Signature edited due to breaking the signature rules, read them before editing your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by SlenderMan0 View Post
    In what places do they show pokemon smash. I live in the u.s,Pennsylvania and there's no Pokemon Smash.
    I just hear about the info on here or Pokemon Smash episode on Youtube.
    First post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    When does Pokémon Smash air?
    Pokémon Smash airs on TV Tokyo every Sunday at 7:30 AM Japanese time. There is unfortunately no legal way to watch the show outside Japan, but our friends at Pocketmonsters.net has an up-to-date episode guide with pictures and in-depth summaries of most episodes.

April 21st2013: The Adventure Division Investigate Mewtwo! / The Latest News on the International Division, who are Challenging the WCS2013! / Soccer Player Shunsuke Nakamura Appears!

The Legendary Pokémon, Mewtwo, appears in this year's movie. This time, there is a secret about Mewtwo to be revealed, including the meaning of the title "Mewtwo Awakens". The latest information from the Internation Division comes as they continue to train for the Pokémon World Championships 2013. Also, led by Red, the Pokémon Smash Genesect Corps go to visit the Soccer player, Shunsuke Nakamura.

Rerun Episode: Strategy With A Smile
    Discuss

May 5th 2013: A Match Against the Corocoro Editorial Team in the 'Pokemon 3 on 3 Corocoro Cup' on the Way Towards the Pokémon WCS!? / Noemi Takes the Stage in the Pokémon Battle!

Heading towards the Pokémon World Championships, the Pokémon Smash team train up in game and TCG against the CoroCoro magazine's editors, in preparation for the CoroCoro Cup. In addition to that, member of the International Division, Noemi, faces up against a challenger.

Rerun Episode: Get Your Rotom Running
    Discuss

May 12th 2013: The 'PokéSma Genesect Army' is Hard at Work Today as Well, Aiming for 1 Million Members! / Nymphia Nakagawa Appears!? / EbiChu Takes the Stage for the Pokémon Battle!

In this episode, the Pokémon Smash Genesect Army is off to try and recruit even more members to their special Army. Plus, at the Eevee Akiyama house, a new Pokémon has appeared, Sylveon Nakagawa!

Rerun Episode: The Punchy Pokémon
    Discuss

Plus, at the Eevee Akiyama house, a new Pokémon has appeared, Sylveon Nakagawa!
    Really glad Sylveon is appearing...even if it is just a person dressed up as one! Hopefully its a sign we *May* get a little more information on it! But I'm not exactly sure what this acted eeveelution segment of the show usually entails...!

Are we getting more X and Y info on the 19 than Coro Coro revealed?
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Are we getting more X and Y info on the 19 than Coro Coro revealed?
    Na, it'd just be the CoroCoro stuff

May 19th 2013: A Special Report on 'Pokémon X & Y', Where Masuda Announces Surprising News! / A Collaboration Project with the Pokémon Center, Which will Soon Celebrate its 15th Anniversary, Comes to Fruition!? / The Latest Movie News!

In this episode, the Pokémon game god, Junichi Masuda, visits the Pokémon Enterprise headquarters to show the latest surprising Pokémon X & Y news. The Pokémon Center is about to enter its 15th anniversary and Eevee Akiyama and Robert have come to see the celebrations.

Rerun Episode: Charmander, the Stray Pokémon!
    Discuss

I don't think this will be a reshow since all the CoroCoro news has been released internationally so what would b the point of having a special if Mr. Masuda knew the stuff he would show would have already been revealed officially by then.

Here's hoping we get footage on the start of the game like we did with BW and BW2, I'd much prefer that rather than a rehash.

Hmm, not sure what to expect tonight. Would hardly be "Surprising News" if they just rehashed CoroCoro

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
    To seize everything you ever wanted-
    One moment
    Would you capture it or just let it slip?

I don't see Masuda being there for absolutely nothing. We'll soon see, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rampharos View Post
    I don't see Masuda being there for absolutely nothing. We'll soon see, anyway
    A large majority of Smash's target audience probably doesn't know about the news. Masuda is brought on for big news and what was revealed to us was big news. It is very sensible/likely that Masuda will only regurgitate news. But for some of Smash's audience it will be big news.

Does anyone know if tonight's episode has another segment where they test sylveon's type like last week?
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

True but at the very least I imagine we'd get some new details about those pokemon. Does it start about now or did I do time timezones wrong?
    EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. This thread is lonely because people are still just talking about it in normal threads xD Ah well, it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by Rampharos; 18th May 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Even if it's just a little bit more info or gameplay, I'll be happy and take it gladly. C'mon Masuda, gimme something good!
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Even if it's just a little bit more info or gameplay, I'll be happy and take it gladly. C'mon Masuda, gimme something good!
    Same here, I wouldn't mind if only a teaspoon of information uprises from Masuda, I am just glad that he is appearing on an episode of Smash!. Bonus points if Fairy is revealed and Light is dumped.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast