Thread: Unorthodox Sand Team - Gen V

Default Unorthodox Sand Team - Gen V

Just getting back into the game and I'm not going to shoot for fancy EVs.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    Naive - Rough Skin - 4 HP / 252 Attack/ 252 Spe
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Outrage
    ~Earthquake
    ~Fire Blast

Stealth Rock Garchomp seems a bit unorthodox. I wanted my team to have that unique flair to it and have a Garchomp since its not banned in Gen V. Scarf Ensures a safe Rocks Set Up while being able to hit at least once before going down, unless it carries a priority move.
    Outrage and EQ for the dreaded dual stab, able to 2HKO Most Pokemon in the current meta. Fire blast is to Deal with some random Pokemon it may come up against hoping to sponge it's attacks such as Ferro or Skarm.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
    Naive - Sand Stream - 232 Attack / 24 SpA/ 252 Spe
    ~Pursuit
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Superpower

Scarf TTar is one of my favorites. Only because facing Eons are rather annoying and I wanted a fast Pursuit Trapper.
    Ice Beam is a Unique choice on this set. it usually delivers OHKOs on stuff its meant for like Gliscor and Outspeeds Landorus. Stone Edge for flyings like Dragonite and Co. And Superpower for coverage.
    It also catches some off guard since most TTar I've seen are banded.

Breloom @ Life Orb
    Jolly - Technician - 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Spe
    ~Spore
    ~Low Sweep
    ~Mach Punch
    ~Bullet Seed

Breloom. Not much to say except that it's one of those annoying Pokemon with Spore. Low Sweep for catching switches and technician stab mayhem. Bullet seed for Grass STAB and Mach Punch for Prop. This one is up in the air though for a Ferrothorn.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Timid - Flame Body - 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~Quiver Dance
    ~Fiery Dance
    ~Bug Buzz
    ~Roost

My favorite competitive Pokemon ever. She stole my heart completely when she was revealed. It's hard to stop once she gets rolling with Quiver Dance and Roost allows it to stay in the game much longer. Fiery Dance > Flamethrower/Fire Blast because extra boosts are always nice and Bug Buzz for STAB and dealing with Psychics and Darks and various cookies.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Careful - Serene Grace - 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
    ~Wish
    ~Protect
    ~Body Slam
    ~Iron Head

Standard Paraflinch Jirachi set. Nothing much to explain. Wish for recovery, Protect for Leftover healing, Body Slam and Iron Head for ParaFlinching. 36 Speed EVs allow me to outpace Magnezone and U Turn out of Magnet Pull.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Bold - Water Absorb - 253 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
    ~Toxic
    ~Scald
    ~Protect
    ~Recover

Jellicent deals with Fighting Types bar Guts Boosters and physical stuff.
    Main Pokemon I send out if something needs to be burned.
    Toxic is to deal with Bulky Waters that i may come across, Scald For STAb + Possible Chance to burn and Recover + Protect for healing.
    44 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed pokemon like Scizor.. i think.
    Last edited by Puppetry; 23rd April 2013 at 6:31 PM.

2DS FC: 4356-1023-6552

Don't have time for a complete rate at the moment, however, I feel like you meant Careful nature on Jirachi, not Calm. I'll be back later today with more input and advice for the team.

When in doubt, fight harder...Never accept defeat as temporary satisfaction...
    Feel the Heat
    Check out my latest RMT

Ah thank you, I look forward to your rate/fix ^__^ :3

Hello Puppetry, as promised I'm back with some suggestioned changes that could be made on your team.

First, your team seems very somewhat solid except, I have a hard time seeing how you handle opposing hazards. Tentacruel or Starmie are safe replacements over Jellicent to provide your team with a needed Rapid Spin support, while also helping to counter the likes of Rain teams. Starmie is good for a status absorber & fast spinner, while Tentacruel is good for countering Rain overall with Leftovers + Rain Dish barr Thundurus-T utilizing teams. Unlike Tentacruel, however, A helpful Starmie set of HydroPump/Surf, Thunderbolt/Ice Beam, Rapid Spin & Recover should suffice. Tentacruel could utilize a useful set of Scald, Toxic, Substitute/Protect & Rapid Spin to help benefit Volcarona's switch in opportunities.

Starmie@Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Timid nature
    248 Hp/ 252 Speed/ 8 Sp.Attack
    Hydro Pump/Surf, Ice Beam/Thunderbolt, Rapid Spin & Recover

Tentacruel@Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    Bold nature
    252 Hp/ 236 Defense/ 20 Speed
    Scald, Rapid Spin, Toxic & Substitute/Protect

I make this suggestion since Volcarona seemed somewhat out of place and lacked the sufficient support to come in with hazards and set up.

Next, we move on to Jirachi. A standard Sp. Defensive spread of 252 Hp/ 220 Sp.Defense/ 36 Speed should give Jirachi the needed essential bulk while keeping some necessary Speed intact. Body Slam also plays a role the Speed department, as it also gives the occasional paralysis to anything able to take damage from it. I've found that replacing Protect with U-Turn also to be an option when SubCharge Beam Magnezone begin to become an annoyance; just another idea to consider.

Last, I'd like to suggest using Focus Sash on Garchomp to ensure that you can at least set up rocks before taking heavy damage or potentially OHKO'ed.

That said, I hope this was of some help to you and best of luck with the team!

Feel the Heat
    Check out my latest RMT

Quote Originally Posted by CedOmega View Post
    Starmie@Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Timid nature
    248 Hp/ 252 Speed/ 8 Sp.Attack
    Surf, Thunderbolt, Rapid Spin, Recover

Tentacruel@Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    Bold nature
    252 Hp/ 236 Defense/ 20 Speed
    Scald, Rapid Spin, Toxic, Protect
    -I edited the sets to what I may use.
    Both seem like very good candidates for a spinner. But I don't really like spinners at all actually. I may consider the Starmie though because I don't want Mamoswine tearing through my team if I were to use Tenta.-

Next, we move on to Jirachi. A standard Sp. Defensive spread of 252 Hp/ 220 Sp.Defense/ 36 Speed should give Jirachi the needed essential bulk while keeping some necessary Speed intact. Body Slam also plays a role the Speed department, as it also gives the occasional paralysis to anything able to take damage from it. I've found that replacing Protect with U-Turn also to be an option when SubCharge Beam Magnezone begin to become an annoyance; just another idea to consider.
    -I totally forgot people still use Magnezone. I have not come across people using it and thought it was irrelevant for some strange reason. I may consider the U Turn. What does the extra 20 EVs let me outspeed? I can't think of anything that comes to my mind immediately-
    Last, I'd like to suggest using Focus Sash on Garchomp to ensure that you can at least set up rocks before taking heavy damage or potentially OHKO'ed.
    -I was just about to switch to that since most SRock Leads carry it and I've been losing Chomp way too early due to misreads and so on. -
    That said, I hope this was of some help to you and best of luck with the team!
    -Thank you for all the help! I appreciate it.-

Hm sand doesn't really help you much so if you still want that fast trapper (somewhat lol), the Scarf Scizor? Can trap Starmie and such that can be problematic in rain. Sorry on meds, small hand surgery today's so might be bit off.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that/:
    But I like Tyranitar much better and I like to keep my team's typing as diverse as possible. It's a little nitpick of mine. Plus I love sandstorm due to the fact that passive damage is fantastic IMO. Plus I want a weather poke because I don't want to lose against having such a bad disadvantage. I may consider it. Would it be a standard 252/252 set?

Quote Originally Posted by Puppetry View Post
    -I totally forgot people still use Magnezone. I have not come across people using it and thought it was irrelevant for some strange reason. I may consider the U Turn. What does the extra 20 EVs let me outspeed? I can't think of anything that comes to my mind immediately-
    The 20 Speed EVs allow Jirachi to outpace Adamant Breloom and Magnezone. Sorry, I should have mentioned that as well.

Feel the Heat
    Check out my latest RMT

Ah okay. Out speeding Magnezone is very crucial. Alright I'll change the set up a bit.

Bump.

Changes Made to the team, mainly including EV and MOveset changes.