Thread: Mewtwo/"big" basic Deck Splashed with Metal

Lightbulb Mewtwo/"big" basic Deck Splashed with Metal

Here's my new list I worked up after I was helped out by some people here on this very forum:

4 Mewtwo EX
    1 Tornadus EX
    2 Tornadus
    4 Audino (With Powerful Slap)
    2 Cobalion (EPO)
    1 Bouffalant BW
    2 Bronzong NXD
    2 Bronzor

1 Computer Search
    4 Ultra Ball
    1 Colress
    2 Pokedex
    2 Ether
    4 Laser
    3 Virbank
    2 Bicycle
    2 N
    4 Juniper
    1 Cilan
    2 Aspercia City Gym

4 Double Colorless
    4 Metal Energy
    5 Psychic Energy

I will accept ANY criticism and advice... and, to anyone who I may have offended please forgive me... Thanks and please reply!
    Last edited by jwalquis0388; 17th April 2013 at 8:30 PM.

idk what happened but something happened (sorry, could have been the fact that I haven't been beaten in a few weeks I got a big ego, sorry).

If you didn't have a landorous would you want to try it out? If you don't have cards you can always proxy those cards with bits of paper (print outs etc,) helps you decided weather or not you want to play it, buy it, ect (has saved me 100$s of dollars). If you wanted to try that card out. Bronzong with the heal ability nice touch. here's what I'd like to do with you're t/s/s line

1 Computer Search
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Pokedex
    3 Ether
    4 HTL
    2 Virbank
    4 Bicycle
    3 N
    4 Juniper
    2 Aspercia City Gym

to explain myself better, I got rid of Cilan because any of these supporters can bring just as much energy + other cards in a single use, 4 bicycle is for the consistent play, this deck is a heavy item or trainer base meaning you'll use up alot of resources faster, juniper + bicycle lets you go through 1/5 of you're deck in a single turn allow more cards for more play in a single turn(pokedex+ether+bicycle=great!!! If it works out for you).

edit: if you do not have some of these cards I do not mind trading with you.
    Last edited by ven?; 10th April 2013 at 6:03 AM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I got all of them, and I did what you said and it is working out very nicely. I actually thought of trading for Cobalion EX and using him to get through Sigilyph and Bouffalant would that work do you think?

and about Lando, I decided to Counter him instead of use him in my deck (tornadus is resistent)... etc.

If you have Cobalion EX I will definitely Trade...
    Last edited by jwalquis0388; 10th April 2013 at 9:47 PM.

About cobalion, it should work in theory because you're running steel energy, but I do not have any more for trade.

Thats ok I didn't expect that you would.

Anyway,... here's my new list:
    3 Tornadus EX
    2 Tornadus
    3 Cobalion EX
    2 Cobalion EPO
    1 Cobalion NVI
    2 Mewtwo EX
    2 Bronzong
    2 Bronzor

Computer Search
    3 Aspertia
    2 Virbank
    4 Laser
    4 N
    2 Juniper
    2 Escape Rope
    4 Ether
    2 Pokedex
    4 Ultra Ball
    2 Bicycle

4 DCE
    9 Metal Energy

This is the list I am going to use at Nationals, so please give any more tweaks you would make thankyougoodbyeseeyouthen...

Pretty good list other Then

-1 asperitia +1 pokedex, This is probably the biggest and best tweak I'd say for you're deck over all is this for this simple fact, etherdex, ether cannot run without pokedex, because if you're just using ether without dex just seems like you're throwing the card into the discard, and using dex once and then expect that the turn after you're going to ether an energy (they're probably going to see through that strategy and N. The reason why I say that this is the best is 1, you don't need more then 4 stadiums to pull off the turn 1 60-90, even if you have doubts on it's success always remember every deck runs 2 virbank if they run HTL, and next(ray/eels) every deck runs HTL.
    -2-2 bronzong for 4 catcher (healing isn't that big of an issue, if you have an issue against those that play it, catcher around them because If i've found one thing about these stage1/2 techs in tier play right now, unless it's ability helps you're/they're attack it's dead wieght, which makes sense because techs like garbo thats lock or disrupt don't add much for comeback ability that blastoise and eelectrik can still manage)

I took out bronzong and added no catcher(mainly because of the lack of them in my collection), but without bronzong there is no catcher fodder in this deck, so I don't want to run catcher, but I did add two escape rope, removed juniper, added 4 energy switch, took out 1 aspertia, added an energy, removed bicycle, and came to this final list:

4 Tornadus EX
    4 Mewtwo EX
    2 Cobalion EX
    2 Cobalion NVI

4 Laser
    2 Virbank
    2 Aspertia
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Ether
    3 Pokedex
    Computer Search
    4 Energy Switch
    2 Energy Retrieval
    2 Escape Rope
    4 N
    2 Cheren

4 DCE
    10 Metal

This is my list for Nationals so please tell me if I should or should not run Cobalion or try Landorous, or I could really use any EX for Cobalion's spot in the deck since the other two use any energy. Give me any ideas...

If you Don't want to play catcher that's fine, but I would like to explain why it would help you so much in this deck. This deck cannot generate a ohko over 130 w/o weakness, that being said when playing against alot of players regardless of skill level is the fact that they will always try to retreat the active basic for a bench, usually after 2-3 turns of it sitting on the bench do they get the max potion, so that being said, Catcher will help you're ko rating, even if you only had 1 or 2 to play I would highly recommend playing it over escape rope (which I Don't know of to many decks that play less then 1 benched basic in this format because of colress right now), that's just how helpful it is, I wouldn't use it for anything else then what I mentioned. But I like this, alot more solid, more focused on what you're trying to play, etc. But there is one thing I've found to be a thing alot of people figured out, you don't need to play 4 of any basic you use in a deck, even if it's sableye and darkrai, proven speed darkrai is faster with 3 darkrai over 4 darkrai and it's for the simple fact of, they just reduced 1 darkrai to make they're T/S/S section more solid (I find when people say play 4 they haven't tested speed consistency for they're deck or they would just realize you don't want to draw pokemon mid game, you want to be drawing into you're engine).

One more thing, 2 super rod is better then 2 energy retrieval. Everyone has they're different reasons, mine is because super rod is an anti-mill card, other people would tell you running 1 revive and 1-2 energy retrieval/computer search/dowsing machine, sorry to say but it sounds like a sad excuse to use super rod because those cards need eachother to work, where as super rod just needs super rod. It's not like you're gonna start playing from you're discard pile instead of you're deck now? Not exactly the most smartest thing to do because I can see you're strategy and make a counter for it much easier then if it came out of you're deck.

Also Nationals, as in America or Canada? I think you live in America, idk because you did say you wanted to beat me at worlds so I just assumed Canada.

Hahahahahalol. I am from the US as you expected, so I won't see you at Nationals, sorry, but in any case, I do not have a single catcher to play. I used my three for trade (yah, I know I could have traded for another one with ease) but I needed resorces so I traded them for a bunch of trainers. This I think helped me the most as I am fairly new to competitive play. And for the super rod, I think I will take out the Metal and Cobalion for Dark and Sableye just to speed it up... But not Darkrai... and add dark patch for all those discard cards in my deck and I get an attachement with it. This way I have three ways of attaching an energy during my turn. These changes removed the escape rope and the energy retrieval. IO think this will at the very least confuse my opponents (like "What? A Darkrai deck and I haven't seen a single Darkrai???) and at the best win the game.

Dark and Sableye just to speed it up... But not Darkrai... and add dark patch for all those discard cards in my deck and I get an attachment with it.
    I'm gonna tell you right now it will destroy any decks consistency, even if you run only sableye and dark patch for the (UED) Ultra ball, E. switch, Dark patch, etc combo, I think it would work in reducing the lines in you're deck to make ether more efficient but I'm also at a stand still on that one because the UED combo in darkrai runs through alot of resources regardless of an additional engine (that's from exp on that one). But back to the consistency bit, tried to test sableye in other decks, even if I just ran prism and a sableye not only did it lower consistency but at times it was almost unneedless to say the least (or as buddy from edmonton would say, 6 worthless sleeves, I want that t-shirt), but if you could make it could work that would be even more interesting.

Well then, I get your point, and I do plan to make it work, and I plan on tecking one copy of Darkrai just for the retreat aid (And why would I need three mewtwo anyway?) -- I have started testing with it and I have gotten a first turn Power Blast almost every game (Which is good in itself) and, moreover, I heve been able to use Sableye to the fullest in this deck and getting back lasers, balls, energy switches, and lots of other trainers. I think this list will do me good: With the only adjustment beeing adding one Darkrai and taking out one Mewtwo,. What do you think? Will it make the Top Cut?

uhh, top cut in America, makes me shiver a little bit at the thought of playing a few of them again but if you feel confident in what you're playing, and play test against the top of the tier (popular decks) it might just happen. In truth you only need 2 mewtwo, and the reason behind that is reducing the amount of ko's you can take game wise and increase's consistency, for instance it's better to draw into tornadus turn 1 instead of mewtwo because people will want to counter you're mewtwo as fast as possible and even try to take a turn 1 ohko off of a benched mewtwo (which is why in rayeels, I don't play mewtwo until they have played a spammed out keldeo and or a spammed out mewtwo, allowing you to take the first ko before they can counter attack) the big reason behind this is the fact of the popularity of big basics in the states which runs in and around 3 landorous, 3 tornadu, and 2-3 mewtwo (I have never read a 3 week tournament report with more variants of those 3 cards since garchomp lv. X, 10 out of 16 made topcut out of pretty much every tournament during states) edit: even still outside of big basics it's just a good strategy to use.

As for catcher I was also thinking ninetails, it's ability is catcher pretty much, deals 100 - 150 off of htl and 1 fire energy ( 20+ 50 for each type of special condition, auto shuts down klink, wins out to EX decks on the prize count, etc, etc).
    Last edited by ven?; 18th April 2013 at 5:33 PM.

Maybe ninetales. I don't have him either and the free catcher sounds good, but It is a stage one and I don't want any evolution but I think I will try it eventually. And I am going to play test against Big Basics to practice. Thanks for the help!

I will burn you...