View Poll Results: Two sidequests walk in, one walks out.

Voters
865. You may not vote on this poll
  • I played HG/SS and Pokethlon gets the gold and silver medals

435 50.29%
  • I played HG/SS and I want my contests back!

107 12.37%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I can't wait for Pokethlon

257 29.71%
  • I'm waiting for US release, but I play even without contests

66 7.63%
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokethlon VS Contests

Default Pokethlon VS Contests

One thing I been looking forward to is the Pokethlon minigames. I have never been able to get into the contests, so I'm hoping the Pokethlon is more interesting.

So for those who imported, how is it? Fun, boring, a time waster? Useful for the rewards only?
    Last edited by SapphireL; 18th September 2009 at 9:36 AM.
    Longtime lurker here. Feel free to call me Drake.

I find it quite good, though of course the lack of understanding leaves me with having to randomly guess what the event is going to be so I have to use the same 3 Pokémon all the time and just hope I get lucky.
    Through the Generations
    my multiple pairings Shipping-fic.
    Currently On Hiatus and will be coming back to at some point: Gen 1, Chapter 5

I think the Pokethlon is a nice little collection of minigames for when I'm not in a Battle mood. I think that it's quite creative and a nice way to use the Touch Screen more.

Well first lets compare:
    Both have special clothing
    Both have stats
    Both have ribbons/medals
    Both have enhancment means

Now then while they are extremely similar they are extremely different. The Pokethlon has more to do and it wastes your time a lot more then the contest and the contests now just feel boring and drawn out. If there is one thing I'm to be certain about its that these minigames should carry over to future generations to come as it is a much better sidequest.
    BLAH

The Pokethlon definitely wins over the contests.
    Contests become boring after a while of playing, while the Pokethlon minigames just look and seem to be interesting and varied. They waste your time a lot more.
    Join Victory Road forums today, and enjoy monthly tournaments, a load of awesome features (such as the Gym League), as well as friendly and helpful members!

Currently in need of:

Spoiler:- Needed Pokémon and items:

If you can trade me the Zapdos I want, I will give you a legit, UT, Lax-natured, TRU Arceus.. I can also offer many other legendaries. Please PM me if you do have it, and I surely will satisfy you with what I have, too.

To be honest, I don't care for either of them. I have never been a fan of contests, and unfortunately Pokethlon doesn't grab my attention either. I play these games for the main purposes.
    “Heroes take journeys, confront dragons, and discover the treasure of their true selves.”

Pokethlon is fun, really, but I my love of contests never fades away and will never be! I wish they place it in Johto (ok, we need to know where did May got her ribbons).

In honor of Mystica
    3DS FC: 3926-5714-3675 | Y IGN: Tempus

I like contests okay, but these seem a lot more interesting. While I wish we still had both, the contests are a lot of fun, and actually have decent prizes.
    X team: Chespin, Goomy, Amaura, Skiddo, Spritzee, Espurr!

I don't know because I didn't played them (pokethlon) but it looks intressting.
    I liked contest's but I think I also like the pokethlon.
    It's nice you can use tree pokemon in one minigame.
    but I also hope that in the future there gonna have a important role of the game playing.
    that there really have a story and that you have a apart rival in it.
    ( maybe something for the remaining character like dawn or soul)
    but I also think if that wil happen they must give you the choice if you want the story line off this.
    Future White team:
    Jaroda
    Denchura
    Burunkeru
    Kenhorou/ Wargle
    Musharna/ Kojondo
    Shanderaa/ ononokussu

Never did pokethlon, but I'm sure it's better then contests!

I haven't played HGSS, but I'm looking forward to the Pokethlon. So far it sounds way better than contests. Contests, I think, are starting to get old. They can still be fun every now and then but for now, Pokethlon > Contests

oh and why is there no option waiting for EU release date??
    Future White team:
    Jaroda
    Denchura
    Burunkeru
    Kenhorou/ Wargle
    Musharna/ Kojondo
    Shanderaa/ ononokussu

I'm waiting until it comes out in the US, but Pokethlon does look better than Contests. I think they'll be more fun since there's a bunch of different competitions in it, other than the appeals and what not that are in Contests.

Pokethlon actually looks time consuming and it looks like it will keep me busy better than contests ever did. I can't wait to try them out.

I haven't try Pokethlon yet, so I can't decide which is better. Pokethlon does seem fun, though.

Shiny Chikorita
    916 SRs | HeartGold

• • • • •

Pokethlon definitely looks like something I would get into. Way more interesting than Contests, IMO.
    Plus there's so many different mini games, it makes Contests look boring & bland.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2gsg6iq.png[/IMG]

Well first lets compare:
    Both have special clothing
    Both have stats
    Both have ribbons/medals
    Both have enhancment means

Now then while they are extremely similar they are extremely different. The Pokethlon has more to do and it wastes your time a lot more then the contest and the contests now just feel boring and drawn out. If there is one thing I'm to be certain about its that these minigames should carry over to future generations to come as it is a much better sidequest.
    In you're opinion. Alot of people who think that the Pokethlon is better than Contests often thinks the latter should become nonexistant becasue THEY don't like them. No, Opinion =/= Fact.

I'm looking forward to the Pokethlon, I would like to see both incorperated in the future genrations.

The Pokethlon looks a lot more entertaining then contests to me.

I just hope that a Pokemon's Pokethlon stat limits aren't determined in a way that prevents certain species from having a fair chance at winning some of the events.
    Last edited by Rakurai; 19th September 2009 at 6:32 AM.

I think Iwill like them equal but Im really sad contests are leaving! But Pokeatholon looks really fun!
    You know what? I'm gone, I really don't even like Pokemon that much anymore (At all, it's getting kind of boring.) And I'm sad to say I'll miss my bestie Mawile412 and GPT and MM and T&T and Fango, because you were all great friend ;_;
    I wont come back ever and I know about the rule change for the game section, and it saddens me; it used to be so much fun, Degrassi, Pokecity, Pokeplace, all of them that I've participated in....
    GG has now graduated from Serebii, I love you all.
    Goodbye...
    (P.S :: I swear, leave Lilly alone, don't be mean to her or I'll eat you, she's my bestie after all~)

I'm waiting for the US versions of HGSS, and I'm looking forward to Pokethlon too.

^Click^
    Me @ DeviantArt

Spoiler:- Credit:

I can't really compare the two since each is different and each has its own appeal to players.

But yes, Pokéthlon is fun.

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

I have to say, as excited I am to play the Pokethons, I am really going to miss contests. If we get a 5th generation, I really really hope they make a comeback.

But... in DPPt, contests were too complicated. I loved contests in RSE, but DPPt ruined them for me.

Started playing Pokemon on December 29th, 2003. I have watched the anime and collected the cards for as long as I can remember.

HG Progress: 15 Badges!

Put this in your signature if you think Ruby and Sapphire deserve remakes! (started by Flare 64!)

i hope if contest ever make a comeback they keep the appeal and add a battle stage to it where your HP is points instead and you can use combos and stuff
    my platinum team -

Your banner was too big, so it was removed. This is your 1st strike, so only the rule-breaking parts were removed. Please remember to read the signature rules and get your signature checked if you need help.

I played them alot and though I like Contests, Pokethlon is my favourite. Just considering you can participate with 3 Pokes(and every Poke is able to do that) and see them in more action than just running behind you gives it a point. Also if you lose at contest you don't even get a pat on the back, while Pokethlon gives you the points you accumulated. The final plus points are the prizes...I mean look at Contest prizes..and then look what Pokethlon offers. I think you can't really compare Contests with the Pokethlon. It's like comparing Bug Catching Contest with the Safari zone. Both are great on their own., but comparing is unfair.
    There'll be total devastation,
    Pure annihilation
    Or absolute surrender.
    I'll have limitless power,
    This is our finest hour
    Now go,go,go,go!
    "and those silly comments like mews under the truck."
    PKMN Diamant FC : 3266 1329 4105

PKMN Platin FC : 1634 2465 5625

PKMN Heartgold FC : 4512 3200 9906

Pokéthlon.
    Contests are a bit bland and drawn out in my opinion.
    MyAnimeList | Tumblr
    < - (Not bad for a first attempt at a banner eh? banner's mine)

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast