Thread: The Poke Radar

Default The Poke Radar

One item in the Sinnoh games was the Poke Radar, which was useful for finding exclusive Pokemon, creating chains, and finding shinies.

Did you like using the Poke Radar? What were your longest chains? Did you find any shiny Pokemon with it?

I used the radar a few times to try it out and see which Pokemon I would find. I’d have to check my games to see what my best chains were, but I know they weren’t too long. Machop was my best chain on Platinum IIRC.
    Overall, though, I didn’t put a lot of time into the Poke Radar. I wasn’t too concerned with getting shinies and I just traded/transferred the radar exclusive Pokemon from other games.
    ~ * * ~

I thought the Poke Radar was a pretty good way to find Pokemon that couldn't be found otherwise. Using it wasn't always easy though, and I usually got frustrated or bored if I didn't find the Pokemon I was looking for rather quickly. Being forced to walk 50 steps to reset it was a bit annoying, and I didn't always use Repels while using it which meant random wild Pokemon often destryed my attempts at finding what I was looking for. I used it mostly for Pokedex purposes. I caught most of the Pokemon that were exclusive to it, though I believe I might have skipped out on most/all of the ones that had a really low chance of appearing. I am pretty sure there were some Pokemon that only had a 2% chance of appearing, but I didn't feel like looking it up right now. I believe I traded over these Pokemon from another game, or sent over them from 3rd Gen instead of catching them with the Poke Radar. I also remember that I found the Poke Radar useful while trying to catch Ditto in D/P, though I never did that in Platinum since I just sent over some of my best Ditto from Emerald instead.

As for chaining and trying to obtain shinies, I never did it that much. I'm not very interested in shinies and I have never hunted for them actively (outside of RNGing, but that's not really the same thing). That said, I do believe I tried to chain a few times just for fun, pretty sure the highest I managed to get was a chain of 24 for Starly in Pearl. I never found any shinies with the Poke Radar (and I have barely found any random shinies in 4th Gen to begin with). Might go back and check what my highest chains on all of my 4th Gen games were at a later point if I feel like it.

Overall, the Poke Radar was a neat feature, but it wasn't that useful for me personally. I caught all the Pokemon that were exclusive to it, then I practically stopped using it. It just didn't interest me much outside of that. I haven't really missed it much in most games past D/P/P, and its return in X/Y didn't do much for me since it didn't allow for finding any exclusive Pokemon there. That said, the basic concept of it was great, and I see it as a very basic precursor to the DexNav in OR/AS.
    Last edited by Kalosian; 5th July 2016 at 9:17 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistake

Regina noctis pro nobis.
    Mundus noctis aeternae velit. Mundus vult lunae. Lunae lumen lucidus orbis erit.
    Sacra Luna. Nos coniungamus. Sit luna oriatur.
    In luna credimus. Lunae lumen habet claritatem veritatis. Lunae lumen in mundo, Lunae lumen in me.
    Cantate ei regnum. Cantate ei gloriam. Sidera ducet nos. Luna nos protegat.

Secret Bases

I'm so bad with the Poke Radar. In Gen 4 I never found any shinies with it. :P
    Feel free to follow me on Twitter if you want.

I failed at finding shinies with the Poke Radar every time I tried, which wasn't often as I never had the patience to use it to look for shinies. Mostly it was used to fill the Pokedex.

Same here. Poke Radar is impossible to do. It is kind of pointless for me to use in my opinion.

I loved the poke radar, I can't remember my longest chain but i did catch 3 Shiny pokemon 1 Swablu, Trapinch, and a ralts.

In my first Platinum playthrough, I didn't use it at all.
    In my second, I tried it for a bit, but got bored with after a few minutes.

I think what deterred me was having to walk 50 steps to charge it up was way to tedious. Also, I wasn't one to buy a whole bunch of repels for just that purpose.

But that doesn't automatically mean I hated it. It's because at the time, I wasn't one to stick with the games for too much longer after beating the Pokemon league.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

Formerly Painkiller2001

I checked my main Platinum to see what my best chains were:

1. Machop 19
    2. Budew 12
    3. Happiny 9

I remember the Machop chain - I was looking for one with a certain Nature for breeding purposes and figured that I could find a bunch of them and learn how to use the Poke Radar at the same time. Once the chain broke, though, I realized I didn't have the patience or desire to continue using the radar.

Don't remember the Budew or Happiny chains, but they were longer than I thought they'd be. I was expecting to see a chain of like, 3, when I checked my Poketch.

I'm sure my best chains on Pearl were lower, but I haven't checked in a long time.
    ~ * * ~

Decided to check the highest chains I got on all of my games today, and they were the following:

Pearl:
    1. Starly - 24
    2. Geodude - 14
    3. Ponyta - 11

Diamond:
    1. Ditto - 13
    2. Togepi - 9
    3. Pachirisu - 7

Platinum #1:
    1. Buizel - 13
    2. Bidoof - 9
    3. Floatzel - 9
    (the last two are technically a tie but this is how the game ranked them)

Platinum #2:
    1. Budew - 5
    2. Meditite - 4
    3. Starly - 4
    (same here)

The highest I ever got was the one for Starly on Pearl, just as I thought. There are several I don't remember though, the most notable one being Pachirisu on Diamond. I don't remember why I was chaining for it out of all Pokemon. It's an ancient mystery of a long forgotten past. Pretty sure the Togepi and Ditto chains were for breeding purposes. All the others were likely just for fun or out of boredom, maybe a combination of both.

Regina noctis pro nobis.
    Mundus noctis aeternae velit. Mundus vult lunae. Lunae lumen lucidus orbis erit.
    Sacra Luna. Nos coniungamus. Sit luna oriatur.
    In luna credimus. Lunae lumen habet claritatem veritatis. Lunae lumen in mundo, Lunae lumen in me.
    Cantate ei regnum. Cantate ei gloriam. Sidera ducet nos. Luna nos protegat.

Secret Bases

Quote Originally Posted by Kalosian View Post
    Platinum #2:
    1. Budew - 5
    2. Meditite - 4
    3. Starly - 4
    (same here)
    Cool, I found out that I also have a 5-4-4 record on my Pearl:

1. Starly 5
    2. Floatzel 4
    3. Pachirisu 4

They're smaller than my Platinum's chains, as expected, though I thought the longest would've been a bit higher (maybe 7 or so).

I remember the Floatzel chain - I did it on Route 218 near Canalave. Why I chose Floatzel, though, I don't remember.
    Have no memory of the Starly or Pachirisu chains.
    ~ * * ~

I used to chain for Shiny Pokemon on it in 2007. Back then, it was the most useful method for Shiny hunting, so I tried the Radar, but I didn't have much patience for it.

In my current Platinum game, my longest chains happen to have Ponyta (40), Snover (41), and Bagon (29). Sadly, I have yet to find any shinies using this method. Guess I just don't have the patience for that.

I liked using the Poke Radar in the D/P/Pt games cuz it made finding shinies easier hee hee. I used to chain for hours back when I played Platinum and I always got excited whenever I would find a patch of sparkly grass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pokemon Broadcast View Post
    In my first Platinum playthrough, I didn't use it at all.
    In my second, I tried it for a bit, but got bored with after a few minutes.
    Lol, same. In fact when I played Diamond in Japanese, I didn't even know how to use the Radar and I didn't find out how till I played Diamond in English.

I'm terrible with the Poke Radar. I prefer Masuda Method instead.
    Beloved HeartGold Team

Lilly|Charlotte|Yolk|Pearl|Cinder|Minty

Currently Breeding for a shiny Feebas

I'm somehow pretty good with the PokeRadar. It's a pretty easy item to use when you understand the mechanics behind it. The best part about it is seeing that sparkly grass after hours of chaining!

Occasionally I break out Pearl just for chaining. It's a pretty fun item, despite how frustrating it can be at the same time.