Thread: The Underground

Default The Underground

This was one of my favourite side features of any Pokemon game, actually. Pity we only got it in Sinnoh... Did anyone else kill many an hour mining gems and fossils and etc instead of doing the actual Pokemon side of the game?

And what were your thoughts on the underground's secret bases?

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Fandex! Browse/upload Pokemon Fanworks!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: Game Plot Analysis - The Johto Games! Better or worse?
    Previous Article: What Iwata Contributed to Pokemon. RIP, Iwata. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

The Underground was one of my favourite features, too! I spent a lot of time digging for treasures down there. The mining minigame was very fun imo and I loved finding great items like Heart Scales and evolution stones.
    I don't spend as much time in the Underground anymore, but I do go there occasionally while playing my Pearl or Platinum because it's just so fun. Definitely wish it appeared in more games...

As for the Secret Bases, I was glad to see that they carried that feature over from RSE. I made my own bases on my games and decorated them, though I did not spend that much time on them compared to my RSE games since most of my time in the Underground was spent looking for treasure.
    ~ * * ~

I enjoyed looking for treasure in the Underground, particularly Arceus's Plates, Fossils, etc. but didn't really have someone to connect to in order to obtain Spiritomb. I didn't really do much with my Secret Base but liked the idea that you can have multiple Secret Bases.
    Last edited by Mega Altaria; 18th July 2015 at 1:11 AM.
    Current And Usual Omega Ruby (オメガルビー) Team
    Claimed Swablu! May evolve into Altaria!
    R.I.P. Satoru Iwata. 1959-2015
        Spoiler:- Other Claims:

I enjoyed the digging mini-games in the Underground.However,I didn't like the idea of the Secret Base in the Underground,because the requirements for removing the rocks were annoying.Also,obtaining Spiritomb by linking with players was tedious and I wish it didn't involve the Underground in any way.

I was obsessed with farming Spheres and digging for treasure in the Underground. I spent tons of time down there, plus I even connected to my sister's Pearl and stole her Secret Base flag.

I like the Underground. Used to spend quite a bit of time there in the Sinnoh games, mostly farming for items. I remember looking for some of the rarer fossils which took forever to find, and I am pretty sure I even gave up searching for one of them in at least one game. Found a ton of evolutionary stones instead. In Platinum, I also looked for Shards and Star Pieces as I needed these for Move Tutor moves for various Pokemon.

Regarding the Secret Bases, I used them as well but not as much. Was a little annoyed at first that you couldn't fight against other trainers inside of them, but got over it eventually as there were other good places to train Pokemon in the games. Then I also disliked how many rocks there were in the Secret Bases initially, but since you could remove all of them once you had stolen enough flags, I didn't really mind it. Didn't really focus on decorating my Secret Bases a lot, I mostly decorated them with various items I recieved while playing through the games.

Never really played the flag-stealing minigame that much, the only reason I did it was to get an upgrade for my Trainer Card. And since I didn't know anyone else with a DS and one of the games, I had to use both/all three games and both of my DS consoles to do it on my own. It was quite fun, but I am convinced it would have been more fun if I had been playing together with another person.

But my head's down on the pavement, wondering where the years went
    All the time I spent, under eyes full of contempt
    My mind's still a crutch as I stand at the edge of what's ahead, I'm frozen instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kalosian View Post
    And since I didn't know anyone else with a DS and one of the games, I had to use both/all three games and both of my DS consoles to do it on my own.
    I had to do that on my own as well a few times when I wanted to upgrade my Trainer Card by collecting flags. It was extremely tedious, but I got it done eventually. I hated falling into traps in the Underground in general though, especially the ones that mess with direction.

I also collected flags on my own to upgrade my Trainer Card. I had my Platinum character repeatedly rob my Pearl character's base just to get that Trainer Card star.
    (Never had my Pearl steal any flags from my Platinum, though, so maybe I should do that in the future)

A few years before that, I borrowed my sister's DS and Diamond version so that I could talk to her character in the Underground and eventually catch Spiritomb on my Pearl. That was more tedious than the flag collecting because I had to deal with my sister constantly asking "AREN'T YOU DONE YET???"
    I was glad to finally get Spiritomb, though.
    ~ * * ~

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I had to do that on my own as well a few times when I wanted to upgrade my Trainer Card by collecting flags. It was extremely tedious, but I got it done eventually. I hated falling into traps in the Underground in general though, especially the ones that mess with direction.
    At least you didn't have to do it that way all the time, I guess. I also felt that it could be tedious at times, but I still believe it went rather fast. I found the traps to be fun to run into at times when I wasn't doing anything serious, but I can understand that they were annoying while collecting flags. That's why I always kept my bases close to each other and made sure there were no traps in the ground nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I also collected flags on my own to upgrade my Trainer Card. I had my Platinum character repeatedly rob my Pearl character's base just to get that Trainer Card star.
    (Never had my Pearl steal any flags from my Platinum, though, so maybe I should do that in the future)
    I did the same, but I used all three of my games. First I had to let my Pearl and Diamond characters steal 50 flags from each other, and then when Platinum was released, I let my character there steal 25 flags from each of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    A few years before that, I borrowed my sister's DS and Diamond version so that I could talk to her character in the Underground and eventually catch Spiritomb on my Pearl. That was more tedious than the flag collecting because I had to deal with my sister constantly asking "AREN'T YOU DONE YET???"
    I was glad to finally get Spiritomb, though.
    Forgot about Spiritomb. Like everything else, I had to do this on my own as well. Pretty sure I did it at least once with Diamond & Pearl, can't remember if I did it with Platinum though. It was a rather tedious way to get a Pokemon as the game forced a save every time I had to go down to the Underground. Though I was at least not disturbed by any siblings while doing it.

But my head's down on the pavement, wondering where the years went
    All the time I spent, under eyes full of contempt
    My mind's still a crutch as I stand at the edge of what's ahead, I'm frozen instead