Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things Parents Told You When You Were A Kid That You Found Out Were Not True

Default Things Parents Told You When You Were A Kid That You Found Out Were Not True

What Did Your Parents Tell You When You Were A Kid That You Found Out Wasn't True?

I Don't Remember Many Of My Stories Because I Only Remember Things That Happened After The Year 2004.

But What About Ya'll?

That when a male duck climbs on top of a female duck then they were just kissing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    That when a male duck climbs on top of a female duck then they were just kissing.
    HaHa! That Is A Good One!

Thanks For Replying To My Topic!

That babies came from storks which I was later stuborn enough to argue with the Biology teacher about

That Adam and Eve existed.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 11th April 2013 at 2:30 PM.

I fell out of my chair laughing, thank you for that.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL

Quote Originally Posted by Poképro1992 View Post
    That babies came from storks which I was later stuborn enough to argue with the Biology teacher about
    o.o...I feel bad for you man (Or woman). That must be really awkward to look back on. XDD
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

xD

I don't think my parents ever fabricated anything for me when I was a kid, now that I think about it, if only because I didn't ask a lot of questions. While I didn't exactly know how babies were made, I knew babies came from inside the mother and that it was awesome watching my little brothers grow in the womb and have her belly expand. My mom had books on pregnancies that I would look at from time to time when I was young. There were illustrations, but nothing graphic, so I knew a little about how the basics of pregnancy worked.

Of course, then I got to the part in one book where it talks about "Hey, if you go deep, you'll have a boy! Girls are more shallow! Have fun!" I thought that was true, but then after a while, I came to the conclusion it was more likely an urban myth, and it didn't matter what my parents did, since I always had brothers because my mom took a lot of pills that made her alkaline levels higher, and thus boys were more likely.

So yeah... my parents never gave me the talk, nor fabricated anything about sex. I learned it all on my own over time because I read a lot, and there was also that episode on NOVA about sex (briefly) and the growth of the embryo that I'm surprised Mom allowed me to watch (she said it was because it was NOVA, so she let me watch it, alone). Thus, I can't really think of anything my parents told me that weren't true, since they knew I was smart.

WAIT.

My mom told me my bear grew overnight because she sewed her head on another stuffed animal's (rabbit) body. I abused my teddy bear a lot, so she was falling apart. The sad part is I actually noticed she was taller and even questioned why she was taller, and yet I accepted that she "grew". I think I was four at the time, I don't remember what she said. But it explains why my teddy bear looks smaller in my toddler photos.

Though it makes me wonder why I never remembered that. Guess it wasn't that important to me that she "grew". My bear was still my bear no matter what.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

That I should enjoy high school because I'll miss it when I get older.

**** THAT. College is much better than high school.

But they didn't go to college so they don't know.
    Last edited by ebevan91; 11th April 2013 at 4:45 PM.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    That I should enjoy high school because I'll miss it when I get older.

**** THAT. College is much better than high school.
    I wonder if they were talking about the free-time you get more in high school than in college. Because I sure miss high school just for that purpose. Especially since I don't have summer vacations anymore except for one or two week-breaks after every ten weeks :/.

I dunno. My parents never really expressed that they miss high school, if at all, so I never got that mentality. They're high school sweethearts anyway, and except for one or two friends that they still keep track of, they only went to a reunion once, if just to see what happened to some of the popular folks. Mom said it was kinda funny, but sad at the same time.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

That your High School years are something you look back at, *spoilers* that's b*******.
    Hahaha I'm being serious...
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

I was once told by my parents that babies come from pumping air into a woman's vulva to enlarge it and then she will give birth afterwards. Obviously not true but I still didn't have a properly functioning brain back then, so.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

That I could be anything I wanted to be.

I'm still not a bird. **** you, mom and dad.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

That God existed.
    On #spp and #spp-wifi as: Revan, Aegislash
    FC: 2621-2733-0166
    IGN: Lautrec

That I'm handsome and smart.

Things start to make more sense when you grow up, and adults know what they're doing because that's what grown-ups are for. Here I am, legally an adult, and I've realized no one has any idea why they're doing what they're doing, and that's just how the world works.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

That "Donkey Kong" was a typo of "Monkey Kong".
    Being "too cautious" isn't going kill you anytime soon.

That games can kill you.

Banner made by Kelz-Designs on deviantART

I never knew my father...

Spoiler:

Firetruck this guy. I hope he gets banned for good.

that having a college degree would bring me jobs, money and girls.

That my mom was going to stay 28 forever. My four year old self did math.

That the Tooth Fairy existed, and the thing is that my dentist told me the same thing, and even gave me a case for the tooth. I didn't get money the fourth time I lost a tooth...

And, that I was stupid and gullible. Not really...maybe a little gullible, but stupid e.0

That they loved me.

That people aren't assholes.

That pressing the button on the stickshift would make the car explode. Actually I never tried it and I'm assuming it's safe, I'm gonna go try it out right now. *large explosion in the background*

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

That boys can't wear dresses...o_o

Thanks BlackStar80!

http://naminepony.proboards.com/
    ^Please join It's awesome

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast