Thread: Mood of Writing vs. Mood of Author

Default Mood of Writing vs. Mood of Author

I tend to have very drastic mood swings. Always teetering between optimism and hope, and doom and despair. I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but it's becoming a problem for me because sometimes I can depressed when I should be writing lighthearted parts, and cheery when I should be writing sad parts. The "should be" is necessary because I'm not writing, but I should be doing so.

Additionally, it makes it difficult to stay on any one project. 'Cause one hour I'll be thinking a story about the power of optimism and perseverance, and the next I'll be thinking about writing about failure and the hopelessness of mankind as a whole after I forget my script which will take $50 to replace. And, in the end, nothing really gets done...

It's probably just a problem I have, what with my obsessions with perfectionism. But, if anybody could help me to change/control my mood, or perhaps take advantage of the mood swings, it would be very helpful.

I do have music I could listen to in both cases, but of course when you're in a happy mood, you don't want to be depressed into submission by "Aerith's Theme".

What I'm saying, basically, is that my mind is dysfunctional to the point I need to bug Serebii forum members about it not doing what I want it to. And now I'm trying to crack jokes to make myself seem less pathetic.

Life is confusing.

So... Your mood and the mood of your writing. Let's talk about that. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by chanseychansey77 View Post
    I tend to have very drastic mood swings. Always teetering between optimism and hope, and doom and despair. I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but it's becoming a problem for me because sometimes I can depressed when I should be writing lighthearted parts, and cheery when I should be writing sad parts. The "should be" is necessary because I'm not writing, but I should be doing so.

Additionally, it makes it difficult to stay on any one project. 'Cause one hour I'll be thinking a story about the power of optimism and perseverance, and the next I'll be thinking about writing about failure and the hopelessness of mankind as a whole after I forget my script which will take $50 to replace. And, in the end, nothing really gets done...

It's probably just a problem I have, what with my obsessions with perfectionism. But, if anybody could help me to change/control my mood, or perhaps take advantage of the mood swings, it would be very helpful.

I do have music I could listen to in both cases, but of course when you're in a happy mood, you don't want to be depressed into submission by "Aerith's Theme".

What I'm saying, basically, is that my mind is dysfunctional to the point I need to bug Serebii forum members about it not doing what I want it to. And now I'm trying to crack jokes to make myself seem less pathetic.

Life is confusing.

So... Your mood and the mood of your writing. Let's talk about that. Thank you in advance.
    I totally see where you're coming from. I don't do all of that that you said above, but my mood can effect/greatly effect my writing at times. Like I may be in a angry/sad mood when I should be writing a happy/lighthearted part of a story and vice versa. Generally, it can cause my story to sound... "weird" due the mixed "flow" of the story as to my current mood and how the mood of the story is. When this happens, I try not to focus on the story, but what I do, is write a One-Shot/Future Chapter of the story you're writing, but the One-Shot/Future Chapter would have the same mood you're feeling at the moment you're writing it. And once you do not have this certain mood that doesn't fit with your particular point in the story, than you can get back to writing the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

One of the best things to learn how to do is to separate your mood from that of your story. It's not an easy thing to do, and I'm not entirely sure how to tell you how to go about doing it. It's something that progresses naturally as you grow as a writer. Remember that there is psychic distance between the events in your life and the events you are writing on paper (unless you happen to be writing an autobiography, in which case... well, I hardly think that's relevant to this discussion). Anyway, when you sit down to write, try to throw yourself entirely into the events of the story. Maybe you're having a terrible day and feel downright miserable, but the scene you have to write is something lighthearted and happy. Well, like oft-quoted acting method, "leave it at the door". When you sit down to write fiction, you've got to leave your preconceived notions outside the room. Let your mind go blank so that you can feel what you have to feel to be in the right frame of mind.

That's not to say you shouldn't feel emotions when you're writing. But you have to allow yourself to feel the appropriate ones. When I'm writing a scene where a character is mourning the death of a beloved friend, I channel feelings of sorrow and grief, in a way artificially inducing them. Likewise when I've got to write a happy scene, I forcibly induce a good mood in myself. It's actually easier than it sounds with some practice. And once you take your first step in the right direction, getting the rest of the way is rather simple and straightforward, just go with the flow.

There's no one technique that will be a panacea for this. You've just got to practice getting to a neutral state of mind when you're writing, and allowing your writing to influence your mood while you are in the act of. Getting this down isn't going to happen overnight, and it may even take months. I don't know if this is something other people do, or if it's unique to me. All I know is, this is what I use to help my mood match the tone of what I'm writing.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Oh good Lord, I'm like bipolar when it comes to writing. Like I will get happy and giggly when I write a light-hearted happy part, and then I get depressed when I write a really emotional scene (and there are a lot of them that I write). Sometimes, however, I've noticed that if I'm writing a part where characters are being tortured/get hurt, I'm actually pretty angry that day, so I take out my anger on the characters and it manages to work somehow.

I think this shows, to be honest with you. If the author is sad while writing a really sad scene, then chances are high the reader will feel that same emotion. Same with all the other mood scenes with a heavy or light atmosphere. It's a pretty odd phenomenon that goes to show how attached we are to these characters, whether in fiction or fan fiction, and so our feelings are really sincere. I find it to be a very useful thing, and I'm not sure how many writers actually experience this, if they're a rare breed, if they're just that sadistic, or if they're really just that bad of a writer. One of the many traits of being a good writer is establishing the mood of each scene that you want the reader to experience. Some people can get it down naturally, others take a while to get that skill, and the rest just suck at it.

One of these days, I'd like to record my face when I'm writing to see what happens. Chances are, from what I have seen from the reflection of the laptop screen, I'll just look zoned out for most of the time while the rest I'm depressed.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Just like Feralninja said, don't let your personal mood influence your mood expressed from the writing, they are separate and should not put together.

It happens a lot to me that I don't get the correct mood and/or emotion to write some scenes, especially the light-hearted ones, because I'm currently having a troublesome life. I experience physical problem quite often that just make me depressed, I have a talkative parent that always complain this and that on every possible things, which just make me piss off and angry. However, when the time I get myself to writing, my mood will be in the writing. Reading some of my previously writing work will automatically get me into the plot, so reading, or just thinking about the light-hearted plot will make me feel light-hearted as well, thinking the sad plot will make me feel sad as well, if the character is in pain I also had a suffocating feeling in my chest. So whenever I start writing, whatever mood I had in the day just had nothing to do about it.

Even at the time I just heard a joke that makes me laugh out loud interestingly, I can still get myself immediately to write a sad horror scene. But though, I do have to say, I had problem of always thinking about future chapters, while my current chapter was not even a page long.

I'm sorry I'm not giving any advice, but I understand your problem. Your problem was actually more on the focus and writing interest rather than mood. Try rather practicing your skill of focusing, so you get yourself into working only one thing at a time, but not get distract by other things that just flash into your head.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    That's not to say you shouldn't feel emotions when you're writing. But you have to allow yourself to feel the appropriate ones. When I'm writing a scene where a character is mourning the death of a beloved friend, I channel feelings of sorrow and grief, in a way artificially inducing them. Likewise when I've got to write a happy scene, I forcibly induce a good mood in myself. It's actually easier than it sounds with some practice. And once you take your first step in the right direction, getting the rest of the way is rather simple and straightforward, just go with the flow.
    I agree with the above. One thing that helps me get in the proper mood is proper music. Nothing gets me down like a depressing song, which in the case of a writer needing to feel that way for his current chapter, is a good thing. Same applies for channeling lightheartedness with appropriately themed music.
    Embrace

A breeder joyously hatches a riolu for a client. To the dismay of the hatchling, the client never returns to claim him. Faced with an abandoned pokémon, the breeder vows to find the riolu's trainer and family.
    (Better banner coming soon.)
    Current - Chapter 1: The Client.

Coming up - Re-writing Chapter 2

Spoiler:- 4th Gen Eggmove (Any Nature/Gender):

Quote Originally Posted by Drippy Miltank View Post
    I agree with the above. One thing that helps me get in the proper mood is proper music. Nothing gets me down like a depressing song, which in the case of a writer needing to feel that way for his current chapter, is a good thing. Same applies for channeling lightheartedness with appropriately themed music.
    This technique is what I use whenever I write a scene for any chapter of my story. I'll share some of my experiences in case you need some references (for the maker of this thread)

1. One of my scenarios in my ongoing project (you can find the link on my sig. below my banner)is a murky forest with every tree and grass dead everywhere. The music that comes to mind was the BGM of Barren Valle of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of the Sky. Very hard, dreary, hopeless, and ideologies decayed.

2. The other case is when I made a city festival scene. It's more of a designed town for restaurant events. The music that gave me festivity was the BGM of Mimiga Town of Cave Story 3D.

3. I remember those days trying to find a fitting music that creates a mood where you pray and respect the people who died in the cemetary. The music "Dearly Beloved" of Kingdom Hearts 2 made me feel like respecting some of my relatives who died years ago.

All in all, simulating the emotions needed on your story is a very challenging thing to do.

From my experience, you have to act out every one of your character's speech lines in order for you to synchronize yourself with their current emotions. My chapter 26 of FCV has my heroine getting troubled on saying the truth to her friends: that she regretted being a mother and being pregnant at a young age of 19 years old. I believe I was recalling my own regrets that I failed my Advanced Programming class last semester.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)