Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you still enjoy pokemon as much as you ever have?

It's been deteriorating since the first Black/White games, and since X/Y were announced for 3DS it's completely gone.

Kind of sad, but I had a great time with Pokemon for most of the last decade, so I don't mind moving on.

if you have some free time, check out my new updated song, ETERNAL NIGHT ~ last.fm ~ steam

I still like Pokemon, just maybe not as much. When B/W were first announced, I remember not being able to stand waiting for the games. Although I'm very excited for X/Y, I'm nowhere near as excited. I only check Serebii every couple of days, and I hardly go onto forums.

I still love the series, but it's becoming a smaller part of my life as I get older.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

I'm uncertain about my answer actually.

Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not. So atm I'm not. I'm caught into other iPhone games currently and ither stuff to do. Inhaen't played my games for a while Dx But when I do, I play for ages. Though I'm still excited about XY, nya~

I think I was able to get the most enjoyment out of the 1st and 2nd generation games. Back then I didn't know much about the game mechanics, and they weren't that complicated anyway, so I really enjoyed just choosing a few pokes that I like to form a team and complete the main game. Post-E4 wise, RBY was the only generation where I trained a few pokes to level 100, which was rather boring since you can only re-battle the E4 members, so I replayed the game around 5-7 times (I don't own many games to begin with). GSC was the one where I really enjoyed the post-E4 content and discovering the dailies that were available for each weekday, without any form of guide or walkthrough.

RSE came at a time when I was able to grasp the concept of various mechanics, new and old, while having access to the internet for guides. I was initially irked by the lack of some features that GSC offered such as the day/night effect and dailies, but the more vibrant colors and equally astounding BGM made up for it. I initially played through Ruby's main storyline without putting too much thought into stuff like EVs, IVs and Nature. I tried out Emerald knowing from my experience with Yellow/Crystal that the 3rd game of each gen usually has some extra and/or improved gameplay, and this time I tried to build a formidable in-game team by putting effort into getting Pokemon of suitable nature and training EVs. Awkwardly though, this proved to be more of a hassle, and my game was forever stuck at the pre-E4 part since I wanted a perfectly trained team but found the process to be tiresome. And this semi-perfectionist attitude kinda carried forward to later generations.

DPP? Got stuck at the part where you have to either kill or capture Giratina in Platinum, since I forgot to bring Pokes that can inflict status, which coupled with the low catch rate and my laziness to get out of that 'anti-matter world' and change my team was a disaster. I was never happy with the game despite what some people have praised regarding the overall gameplay, since 1) the game lacked too few original, Pokemon family, and I was trying not to overlap the typings as well, 2) I felt that they were being overly dramatic with the whole galaxy and creator and controllers of time/space and whatsnot within a single game, thus despite usually playing a game for its storyline I could never focus on DPP's. Gave up catching Giratina since it was getting on my nerve (I hated its design to the core anyway), and never touched this generation again.

In BW, my interest was reignited as it really felt like a brand new region. All-new evolutionary families totaling 156 Pokemon, a somewhat modern setting, and it was a fun experience to play through it twice using a different team each time. I managed to EV train my team during the 2nd run, but upon realizing that there's a NPC that records the team you used for each gym (and I had a few random ones with me sometimes) I wanted to redo it just so that the records reflect accurately the evolution of my team at each gym. However, B2W2 came out soon after that, which I don't even have the time to complete due to school and work.

Nowadays I find it hard to finish a Pokemon game; I spend great efforts deciding my NPC name and my eventual team and moveset only to find obstruction preventing the execution of my plans. Instead, I find myself spending more time either analyzing Pokemon designs, reading up on Smogon strategies/Bulbapedia trivia or watching wifi battles by a few notable youtube users.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 13th April 2013 at 10:39 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I haven't really been into Pokemon since Gen III. Didnt like Gen IV/V and I didnt even bother getting B2/W2. X/Y has kinda brought back the interest I had back in the day. I only hope it doesnt disappoint.
    The Graceful Assassin

Credit to FairyWitch

I think I'm actually at a high point. When Black and White were released, I sort of gave up. I sold all my games and "moved on". But then, I started reading about Black and White 2, and thought they looked pretty good, so I bought them. Now with the combination of playing BW2 and waiting for XY, I'm enjoying myself very much.
    I'll make you wet.

6th Gen Starter of Choice- Chespin

Hoenn's my favorite. So many memories...

i enjoy pokemon WAY more than......say 8 years ago. i would have been clueless if u asked me if i had a rayquaza, but now im caught up, and have more money to get any new games, as well.
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

To be honest, being more aware of game mechanics now has caused me to like the games even more. I don't obsess over training competitive Pokemon like I used to, but I do enjoy the competitive field every now and then. Plus, newer games give us way more options in terms of what we can do, prolonging the life of each game even more. Back when I started playing Pokemon in Gen 3, I'll admit I was enthralled. But not knowing much about how the game worked caused my interest to fall quickly, and I wouldn't touch a Pokemon game for months. Since I have more experience now, I know what more I can do with my games. I definitely enjoy the games way more nowadays, despite the nostalgia of my first days playing Pokemon.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

always have, always will. My love for pokemon has never, ever faded and when B/W and B2/W2 came out...I was a giant N fan...I was hooked on his story. and now with X and Y, N in the anime and things happening that bring back memormies from when I was a kid...my love for pokemon is through the roof right now! I mean, let's face it, everyone has their favorites and least favoritess every generation and when gen 6 was announced, I was ^^!!!!! lol, basicly soooooooo happy XD (and if you want proof...I carry a nearly 14 year old pikachu I nicknamed "Alpha" with me everywhere and part of my fanicy proposal is for my BF to put the the ring in a pokeball)
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

I'm not really sure. I sure do enjoy Pokemon a lot at the moment, but I'm not sure if it is as much as it has been in the past. I guess I enjoyed the games the very most when B/W were first released and I got back into the games after not playing them for the 2-3 years before that. I have found that the best way for me to get the most enjoyment out of the games is to try new things occasionally and not spend too much time on doing things that are really boring (such as IV breeding). It has worked for me, but only as long as the games allow it. For example, I really enjoy the PWT and Black Tower/White Treehollow and Pokestar Studios in B/W2, these are excellent new things which are enjoyable.
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

Not as much, but that has more to do with (what I feel to be) a decline in the quality of the games in 5th gen than it has to do with lack of interest. Aside from that, I don't think I'll ever lose interest in Pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I seriously think I enjoy it way to much. Back when I was kid, I was like "Sweet Pokemon". Now I act like a small child on a sugar rush whenever a new game come out.

I think my increased enjoyment has come from three things-
    1. I think the games get better with every release.
    2. I have access to the internet.
    3. I have friends at my school that are really into it.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Of course I do. I sometimes get uninterested when a game from another series comes out, but that's about it.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Current Hunt: Cresselia

Nope.
    Thanks to competitive battle I always found myself irritated over an adamant gastly, or modest axew, or even neutral natured pokes.
    When I was 5, i didnt give a crap about such things and kept em anyway.

"It's not god the people fear; people's fear is God."

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I still love Pokémon. It could be the nostalgia factor of how it seems to fulfill a childhood dream of just leaving home to wander the earth for a while and finding a lot of friends along the way. It could be that I really enjoy the mechanics of the game, and just the style of the games and how they evolved over time. Whatever the reason may be, Pokémon has a special place in my heart that I can't bear to let go of. I have a feeling I will fall away from Pokémon for a long time in the future, but I can still see myself a few decades down the road playing a Pokémon game for the heck of it.

My argument is if my dad can still into Star Wars and comic books in his mid-forties, then I can be into Pokémon at that age as well--and there are a good number of folks around that age who still are.
    Well, I'm not mid-40's (which, by the way, your DAD is in his mid-40's?! That makes me feel so old), but I'm early 30's, and I still enjoy a lot of "childish" things. I'm huge into comic books, and I obviously love pokemon. There's no reason to grow out of something just because you get older or your peers have stopped liking it.

To further my earlier point from page one, it's not the ACTUAL EV training or anything that has made the game more tedious for me, but the fact that Pokemon has a boring, repetitive, copycat metagame like pretty much everything. It's why I quit playing Yugioh a few years ago. I play pokemon over the Wi-Fi, and it's just... the SAME STUFF over and over. And so much of the game is luck-based, it gets frustrating.

But unfortunately, now that I DO know all the stuff, I can't help but only use "useful" nature pokemon and even trying to focus on EVs in my playthrough (it would be best for my Tepig to have attack, so I'll use it to beat all these Lillipup). To be fair, Nuzlockes have impacted my playing enjoyment, too, because now regular playthroughs just seem "too easy" (which, they ALWAYS were, but now I notice it).

I need to get back to just playing for kicks and making trading myself whatever fun pokeys I want to use on my team.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Sadly after 15 years, no. I was 9 when Pokemon came out and from then until mid-3rd generation I was as happy as could be with it. I've enjoyed the games up until now, but less and less with each generation. Part of it is the cookie-cutter mold for every new generation, but I think most of it is just plain old growing up. I'm not a kid anymore and these things just don't have the same effect on me (personally) anymore.

Team in training:

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    My interest in the series has fallen dramatically. The games are too similar and repetitive, I find, and after almost ten years, it's often hard to keep coming back to them. I do enjoy the games for a while, but they fail to hold my attention for months at a time – as they once did – when there are far more varied and appealing games out there.
    Pretty much this. I really liked Gold (original Gold, not Heart Gold) and Ruby, but after that, my interest started dropping rapidly. I never really got into Diamond that well and while Black was pretty good, I just don't care for X and Y at all. I'm just dead-tired of the whole new fledgeling trainer collecting eight badges and defeating evil Team routine. It does feel like all they've been doing with the series is giving each one a new coat of paint, but in all, it's still the same old experience. Doing a Nuzlocke run through Black was a good way to breathe new life into the same tired approach, but I think I'm done there.

For a while, I really enjoyed the Mystery Dungeon series, but I did find that while the storylines were interesting, intriguing, emotional, captivating, and kept you pushing on to see more of it develop, the actual gameplay itself was pretty monotonous and sleep-inducing. The whole randomized dungeons was interesting at first, until you realized that unlike other games, there weren't any real puzzles to solve or interesting labyrinth setups where you go from one end of the labyrinth to the other, such as what you would do in a Legend of Zelda game. Instead, it was just one long marathon through F1 to however many floors there were, mindlessly bashing in the heads of whatever Pokemon got in your way. That, and there were only the dungeons. I would have liked to see more side-quests or free-roam exploring going on. More towns, more hidden secrets, and more free-roaming would have been way more appreciated.

I would say that I'm actually into it much more so now than I was when it first came out- part of it is because they actually finally got a handle on how to design game mechanics, and part because the games that someone like me is "supposed" to like are often dull or actively horrid to my sensibilities in some way or another.

I'm not interested in the series as I had been back in gen 1 and 2, but probably more so then in gens 3 and 4.

Unfortunately no, because I find that I don't have the time to spend on enjoying it due to having so many other commitments to deal with. I miss those days when I was young playing Gold Version and my homework was a few spelling words or something, now I have much harder things to deal with.

My Shinies

Current Targets: Virizion, Dratini, Groudon, Seviper

Latest shinies: Graveler & Floatzel - X - Completely Random - September 1st, 2014.

The peak of my interest was back in 1998. Back then, the games were more of an adventure. I went into the games fresh, that late September, not even knowing that the anime existed. I knew some faces from the commercials, but no names. I knew nothing of types, stats, badges, evolution, or even how to battle. I went in, started the game up, wandered around blindly for a few minutes before triggering the event that lead to me receiving my Squirtle. Everything was new, to me and everyone around me. I learned about the existence of most Pokemon from actually finding them myself, sometimes from my friends. They were days of rumors, where everyone would share their stories of what happened in their games the night before, some true and some false.

I remember when I first learned about Legendary Pokemon; being unable to figure out how to work Blaine's gym, wandering around blindly, exploring caverns and eventually accidentally bumping into Articuno. I remember hearing stories of something called "Mewtwo," which no one seemed to be able to confirm even existed. Rumors soon rose of a Pokemon that was said to be a great phoenix, formed by the three Legendary Birds forming together. Proof? You can see it in the first episode of the show! There was no other basis, but adventures ensued, exploring every inch of my Blue Version, trying to figure out how to combine these birds, never knowing it was fruitless, and at the same time, never caring. It wasn't a game; it was a world that begged to be explored. I have clear memories of my shock when I first discovered a Muk, amazed that I was still discovering new Pokemon at such a late stage. I remember suiciding into the Elite Four for weeks on end, slowly raising my team up, eventually managing to beat my rival, and experiencing the joy of an adventure that was only just beginning.

I daresay this wasn't even my peak, though! 100 new Pokemon!?!? This game, which I had spent the past two years mastering and exploring, was now being expanded upon! The world felt more alive than ever, mysteries being contained within the Day to Night Cycle, the ability to Headbutt trees, and Pokemon so Legendary that they would roam the world, refusing to be captured or otherwise tied down! The rumors escalated, and the adventure was reborn into its finest form.

By the time Ruby and Sapphire came out, I was beginning to... understand better. The games became among my favorite (actually, Ruby is still my personal favorite of all Pokemon games), but things started to become more calm. I approached rare Pokemon in a more business-like manner, holding excitement but no longer the pure joy and awe that I had once felt. The new Pokemon were some of my favorites, but the spectacle of an addition to the Pokedex was becoming lost. I remember attending a Deoxys event, and battling a trainer in the Union Room whose Pokemon could destroy my team despite being level 100 themselves, and I began to research Natures, EVs, IVs, movesets, type coverage, breeding, and so much more. My first ever shiny, a Girafarig, filled me with more of a feeling of excitement than wonder since I had read up on the existence of shinies outside of the red Gyarados that I had come to know. While my love for Pokemon never faded, the emotions that the franchise had filled me with back in Silver simply were no longer there, replaced with others. I began to put more time into other games, with the Pokemon franchise soon becoming, in essence, a friend that I could come back to should I need cheering up. It became my go-to for guaranteed enjoyment, but it was simply no longer what it once was to me.

In short, no. Despite Pokemon being among my favorite games of all time, my love for it peaked in Generation II, and due in large part to my greater understanding of the franchise, I have no confidence that I will ever come remotely close to that peak again.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Basically what the poster above said. Well maneuvered, Rayze Darr!

When I started following Pokémon I was instantly hooked with the anime with childish joy and innocence. Nowadays I'm far more cynical and different things about Pokémon interest me, not various monsters, colors and flashy moves per se. Nowadays it's more like the cultures and influences behind Pokémon, good natures and stats, the ingenious concept of seemingly neverending collecting itself, and, of course, the nostalgy value of remembering what Pokémon felt like when I was a kid.

Also, to some extenct, there are good art concepts to be found, some good planning behind the complex battling system, and I support their nature first, peace, etc. ideologies as well.

But no, it's nowhere near as interesting as it was when I got hooked. I'm twice that age now...

Gotta mention that when Pokémon came in the late 90s we didn't even have internet yet. So all the information about a Pokémon's whereabouts, how to evolve them, etc. was through gossips, legends. Now that was some insanely cool gameplaying!

My current and FINAL Red team.
    I just can't start a new one since there are no Link Cables around these days. Requiscat in Pace! :´(
    (^ Okay, gotta admit it looks better in COLOR! )

I think I like pokemon even more than I did in 1999. With all of the new ones and new features.

Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

I still love and enjoy Pokemon to this day. I have been playing the games since 1998, I may be much older now, but I still love the series. I grew out of a lot of stuff growing up, but Pokemon has always stuck close to me, because of how much I loved Pokemon growing up.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

My love for the series has steadily declined over the past few years. I was instantly hooked once I started playing Diamond. I didn't even know what to do, so i only trained my starter (an empoleon) until level 100. I then realized the real point of the game and made a full team in Platinum. Those days when I was engulfed in Platinum's plot was probably my high point. To this day i think that Platinum is the best game though, i guess it's a matter of sentimental value. After HG/SS, i was still hyped about the series. Then black and white came out, which i thought were fantastic. I lost touch though, for many reasons. I think that before i stop playing for good, i'll replay Platinum one last time.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast