Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unova had the best rivalries

Paul was definitely the greatest rival—both objectively and subjectively. I hope they bring him back but I doubt they will. Sinnoh featured some of the anime's very best writing and character development. Seeing how Best Wishes has turned out makes me think that that elevated level of writing tired them out. It's also possible that they let go of some really creative people.
    I'm Oshawott!
    And quite naturally I rock.
    Who are you?

...Let's be friends...
    5386-9386-3644

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWaterOtter View Post
    Paul was definitely the greatest rival—both objectively and subjectively. I hope they bring him back but I doubt they will. Sinnoh featured some of the anime's very best writing and character development. Seeing how Best Wishes has turned out makes me think that that elevated level of writing tired them out. It's also possible that they let go of some really creative people.
    The Sinnoh rivals to me, were based on competitive pokemon in the metagame; Paul kept trying to make his pokemon reach their peak in strength and was always trying out new strategies, and influenced Ash to do the same. Conway's strategies were all very similar to the new teams in 4th at the team, with specially defensive (Slowbro and Shuckle) and trick room team (Dusknoir; didn't necessarily benefit all three of the team, but worked regardless). Then we had Barry and Tobias; Barry reminded me a lot of Ash, but then having Skarmory with Spikes and Hitmonlee with egg move Blaze Kick made me think of a trainer who'd thoroughly prepare his team, and then Tobias represented the Uber Trainer of sorts.

It also helps for the Sinnoh rivals that, aside from Ursala, Tobias and to an extent, Conway; they were all very well developed. Looking at the Unova rivals; because there was so many and there was a large gap in terms of team changes and saga important episodes from driftveil to mistralton; they weren't spectacular. I think if Stefan or Cameron were kept from the beginning, or if we had more story from Trip/Alder, it could have been better.

For the OP, I think the main reason why he/she is in the minority is because there are so many competitive battlers here, and that they liked the competitiveness of the sinnoh rivals. If that's not the case, then I have no idea
    If you're a DC comics fan, GTA or Saints Row fan, hit me up with a vm, I'm always looking to talk to new people for my favourite stuff!

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl0102 View Post
    Does anyone else agree that Unova had the best rivals for not only Ash, but Cilan and Iris as well. I liked Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Burgundy, and Georgia they all had unique characters and had their own way of doing things which i liked. I only watch the dub so i hope they appear in future episodes.
    I definitely have to disagree with this. Georgia, Bianca, and Burgundy were all pretty incompetent for rivals they lost more than half of their battles and they pretty much only existed as comic relief. Ash and Cilan didn't even take Burgundy or Bianca seriously. Trip was bland all he did was complain about Kanto and get upset about Alder for a little bit and on top of that he only used two Pokemon Conkeldurr and Serperior. Stephan was alright but not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by I-am-the-peel View Post
    For the OP, I think the main reason why he/she is in the minority is because there are so many competitive battlers here, and that they liked the competitiveness of the sinnoh rivals. If that's not the case, then I have no idea
    I'm not a competitive battler, but I still think the Sinnoh rivals were the best. Ash and Paul's rivalry was very well written, and I appreciate that from a show catered to 10 year olds. Barry was never a serious threat, but he was an in-game character, and I liked seeing him. The Unova rivals are just so... whatever. Bianca is fun but she's even less of a threat than Barry (long lost sibling I think). As for the others... like I said, whatever.
    I'm Oshawott!
    And quite naturally I rock.
    Who are you?

...Let's be friends...
    5386-9386-3644

DP's rivals were the best, mainly because Gary hardly showed up, Hoenn only had rivals for May, and Best Wishes' all weren't handled well.

However in terms of a female leads rivals, May's was handled the best. The whole Iris/Georgia rivalry went nowhere and was one-sided, and Dawn/Zoey was too dull with Zoey being too overpowered.

Really to me that Sinnoh's rivals were really undevolved and not intressing at all

Sinnoh had the best, along with D&P's increased focus on battle strategy and tactics, the rivals themselves were characters with high skill and very different and unique styles that out protagonist had to learn to overcome. I could go on and on about how Paul was a great rival and how he pretty much forced Ash to develop as a trainer and even a character but it's been said. Not to mention Conway and Barry who had styles of their own to bring to the table.

Unova? Eh I dunno. I liked Stephan, Bianca, and Burgundy, but they weren't really all that great "rivals". Trip sucks through and through, no development and absolutely no reason to be nasty to Ash like he was, I personally thought it was poetic justice that he got his *** kicked out of the Unova League on the first round. I just plain hate Cameron, and why the hell is Gregoria so nasty toward Iris?

Not to mention none of these characters have their own distninct battle styles (save for Cameron I suppose) and it all just sort of blends together.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Sinnoh had the best, along with D&P's increased focus on battle strategy and tactics, the rivals themselves were characters with high skill and very different and unique styles that out protagonist had to learn to overcome. I could go on and on about how Paul was a great rival and how he pretty much forced Ash to develop as a trainer and even a character but it's been said. Not to mention Conway and Barry who had styles of their own to bring to the table.

Unova? Eh I dunno. I liked Stephan, Bianca, and Burgundy, but they weren't really all that great "rivals". Trip sucks through and through, no development and absolutely no reason to be nasty to Ash like he was, I personally thought it was poetic justice that he got his *** kicked out of the Unova League on the first round. I just plain hate Cameron, and why the hell is Gregoria so nasty toward Iris?

Not to mention none of these characters have their own distninct battle styles (save for Cameron I suppose) and it all just sort of blends together.
    She's nasty to iris because she hates dragons.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

That reminds me; what did happen to Iris and Georgia's rivalry?

And I pretty much agree with Cybercubed on this one, but the resemblance to the games and great writing are my reasonings for the popularity of the sinnoh rivals.
    If you're a DC comics fan, GTA or Saints Row fan, hit me up with a vm, I'm always looking to talk to new people for my favourite stuff!

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

I would agree if Gary didn't exist.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

Unova had some well-made rivals, but definitely not the best. The crown still belongs to Sinnoh rivals.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

I prefer the sinnoh rivalry personally. So I'd say that's the best one.

Though I'll give Unova some credit. It seems to be better done than Kanto. I mean when you think about it Johto kind of saved the day on Gary's rivalry. If it just been kanto, Gary would have seriously have gone out without a single battle with Ash due to losing to a side character in the league.

I'm a massive Gary fan but I remember how disappointed I was when gary went out that way. I was surprised to see him back in Johto so that gave him a second chance.

Put together by me.

I would disagree. I think Unova had the most rivalries. However because there were so many of them, each rival wasn't fully developed. We never got to see a full six on six battle for Trip or Bianca who were Ash's main rivals. Trip is by far the worst rival Ash has had to start out a new region. Gary and Paul were must more develop and the relationship between Ash and Gary and Ash and Paul was developed more then Ash and Trip.

I truly commend the writers for getting Ash's supporting characters more involved this season. Cilan and Iris's rivals were good but this made Ash's rivals suffer and fight for screen time. For XY they should have one rival per person and really develop the relationship and dynamics between rivals.
    3DS Friend code
    1246-9040-8906
    Friend Safari
    Ghost: Shuppet, Phantump, and Spiritomb

Secret Base
    Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl0102 View Post
    Does anyone else agree that Unova had the best rivals for not only Ash, but Cilan and Iris as well. I liked Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Burgundy, and Georgia they all had unique characters and had their own way of doing things which i liked. I only watch the dub so i hope they appear in future episodes.
    Their rivalries are actually epic and I enjoy all the rivalry.
    WARNING : I really hiatus from Pokeani Spoiler because I move to other anime fandom. It doesn't mean I hate Pokeani, but I should keep my reputation for not being annoyed by stranger people who doesn't like/underestimate Pokeani. If you want to CHAT about POKEANI with me, please CONTACT me below. Thanks
    Follow my Twitter : @mega_shootiepie | Blackberry Messenger : 2b37cbed (Mega ShootiePie) (will move to BBM because I am gonna have new phone) | LINE : mega_shootiepie | My Instagram

I'm my own opinion, I did enjoy most of the rivals in unova one thing that probably pissed me off the most was how trip seemed to Wup Ash's *** all the time, granted I have noticed it seems to be the trend with each region and it gets redeemed at the league with ash winning against his rival/s I still think there could have been a lot more interaction with the rivals we only really saw them at big tournaments like the don tournaments I think they could have made the majority of rivals appear throughout the region and that way not just ash as a character could get development but his pokemons aswell. Half the time we only heard he had done training and I think the same could be said for other characters, it might have made some episodes interesting watching rivals train and become stronger onscreen.
    KROOKODILE!!!

I don't know, to me D/P had the best rivals and in AG I loved all of May's rivals. In BW series they are my least favorite, its like the writers gave up on Ash's/Trip's rivalry, he didn't appear as much as the others and when he did he'd get defeated by every one else and would just walk off into the sunset without saying a word to any one. Ontop of that Ash wasn't even the one who helped change Trip's views on his home town or himself, we were never even tolled why Trip has some thing against him or Kanto...

Bel good have been good, she was the first female rival to Ash but, I think she was at least one of my favorites of the bunch.

Don't even get me on the random add ins, none of them even UGH!!
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

For me the Unova Rivals fell into 2 categories, they either started with promise and fell flat later on or were just running jokes. Trip, Burgundy, and Georgia are category 1 while Stephan, Bell, and Cameron are category 2. All in all I wasn't impressed by any of them.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

I really liked Drew and Harley for May. Unlike the likes of Paul, Trip, Georgia, and Burgundy, I actually found them interesting and well-developed.
    Favorite Pokémon!

Uh, let's see. I guess it's only an opinion of which rivals are good and which aren't. I personally like Trip and Burgundy. But the development for them has been stupid from the beginning. As far as Bianca goes, there was no excuse. They had her in all those episodes to do something better for her, including the league, but instead she end up still being almost as worse as before.

It seems like Georgia had disappeared off the face of the earth or something. That dumb Dragonite being here would have had her being crushed all the time. And no one wants to see that since Burgundy was already getting it.

As far as Stephan goes, he just a fat Morrison to me, so even though his battles are good, I don't like him. But he's the best as far as rivals.

I don't even want to discuss Cameron and Virgil right now. They are only a couple of league sues.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 22nd April 2013 at 6:48 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Ash and Trip's rivalry would have been decent.....if it wasn't utterly ruined and shoved off in the Unova League.
    MY TEAMS FROM KANTO TO UNOVA

I preferred Paul as he was quite strong. Didn't like how he was so insulting though. Much better than Gary though, that kid deserved to lose so early in the Indigo League.

Unova was disappointing. But that's partly because the writers have no clue/idea what they're writing about. I liked Sinnoh much better.

Gary was the best Rival. I remember as a kid watching the Pokemon Anime and even though Gary didn't come up that often, when he did it just made you sneer. Gary's character didn't develop before our eyes because he didn't need to. We knew that wherever Ash was, Gary was two steps ahead of him and waiting for a good laugh. According to Merriam-Webster a rival is:
    one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess
    This fit Ash & Gary to a T. Although neither of them are Pokemon Masters or Caught 'Em All or whatever the hell they were trying to accomplish in the first place.

Also, Gary had a bunch of hot women and a flash convertible in his first appearance. How do you beat that?

Quote Originally Posted by bigC94 View Post
    Gary was the best Rival. I remember as a kid watching the Pokemon Anime and even though Gary didn't come up that often, when he did it just made you sneer. Gary's character didn't develop before our eyes because he didn't need to. We knew that wherever Ash was, Gary was two steps ahead of him and waiting for a good laugh. According to Merriam-Webster a rival is:

This fit Ash & Gary to a T. Although neither of them are Pokemon Masters or Caught 'Em All or whatever the hell they were trying to accomplish in the first place.

Also, Gary had a bunch of hot women and a flashy red convertible in his first appearance. How do you beat that?
    In my opinion Paul is the best rival by far in the series. Ash improved a lot because of him, and he used to show up all the time, always pissing ash off with those words "pathetic" and "It's none of your business". Let's also take into account the great plot (chimchar, brandom).
    Gary was not as good as Paul

Ah, the Rival Destinies rivals are... only okay, in my eyes. I've always seen DPPt and AG as having the best rivals, though. Ursula, Drew, Paul, and Harley were always my favourite rivals in the anime, though I do have a soft spot for Burgundy. She's... an interesting character, to say the least.

"i know how to use a sword!" - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast