Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suisei no Gargantia

Quote Originally Posted by Durian Seed View Post
    Not sure if this is a futuristic-mecha anime, or a pure fanservice anime disguised as mecha.

The promise Suisei once held is all but naught.
    i think it's suppose to be set in the future.

so i think its a mix of both.

i like the story and everything that's presented, so i don't mind the fanservice at all ^^

~ Excalibuuuuuur, Excalibuuuuur, from the United King, i'm looking for her, i'm going to Californiaaa~

There is not much mecha in this anime. The original creator stated that his intent was to make young men enter the modern world or something (such as dating women). I haven't felt this way since I watched/finished Fractale (which also has a similar social statement).

Quote Originally Posted by karczx View Post
    There is not much mecha in this anime. The original creator stated that his intent was to make young men enter the modern world or something (such as dating women).
    Or finding a job. Or just trying to find comfort in a place where you're clearly an outsider.

If you're classifying this as a mecha anime or a fanservice anime you're missing the point.

I wouldn't blame anyone for mistaking this for a fanservice anime after the voyeuristic dance sequence. Skimpy, jangly clothing is fine, but I think the camerawork focused too much on sex appeal.

I'm still appreciating Ledo's struggle to adapt to a calmer way of life, though. I find it interesting, because I've been more used to series where a character is thrown into a more hectic situation, and Gargantia reverses that.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPotato View Post
    I wouldn't blame anyone for mistaking this for a fanservice anime after the voyeuristic dance sequence. Skimpy, jangly clothing is fine, but I think the camerawork focused too much on sex appeal.

I'm still appreciating Ledo's struggle to adapt to a calmer way of life, though. I find it interesting, because I've been more used to series where a character is thrown into a more hectic situation, and Gargantia reverses that.
    cannot forget the beach fanservice episode.

Amy's friends exist for no reason other than sexual glorification.

I've also heard that this show is intended to strike a chord with young men entering the world for the first time. I dunno, though, that description feels a little off to me. It's more about a soldier trying to adapt to civilian life (or a fascist trying to adapt to our kooky non-disabled people killing ways). I don't think that's entirely relatable to the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Durian Seed View Post
    Amy's friends exist for no reason other than sexual glorification.
    I agree with this. They aren't really characters at all.
    Done here.

I think this is the first time I don't like a Urobutcher anime.

I like the fanservice and all but those two episodes would've been character development instead and this is a 12-episode anime.

Quote Originally Posted by AceFlonne View Post
    I like the fanservice and all but those two episodes would've been character development instead and this is a 12-episode anime.
    How is Ledo's character not developing? He's gone from being human machine who only follows orders to being somewhat actually human, living a peaceful and normal life which is something he never had. Even these fanservice episodes contribute to this experience of what it means to be human and enjoy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    How is Ledo's character not developing? He's gone from being human machine who only follows orders to being somewhat actually human, living a peaceful and normal life which is something he never had. Even these fanservice episodes contribute to this experience of what it means to be human and enjoy life.
    Now that I think about it.I guess you're right,
    Last edited by AceFlonne; 18th May 2013 at 9:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AceFlonne View Post
    Now that I think about it.I guess you're right,
    I just hope the plot develops more. And judging by the new titles:

Ep6 - The Carnival
    Ep7 - A Soldier's Fate
    Ep8 - Separation
    Ep9 - The Secret of the Ocean's Depths
    Ep10 - The Island of Ambition

Seems like starting from episode 7 we might get big plot development.

You also have to take the twist ending of episode 6 into account now.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

wow drama finally starting up in this anime. newest episode was really good.

I would have preferred them to have mentioned the people who regarded the whalesquids as sacred creatures earlier but I guess that would have ruined the surprise. Maybe an indirect mention?

Either way it seems that despite all the teaching and customs the people of the Gargantia have instilled on Ledo no one can talk some sense into him. His soldier roots run deeper than expected and he's shut everyone out, including (surprisingly) Amy. Still though, is he right about them being a threat? So far I don't think we've ever seen the Hideauze attack unless provoked even in episode 1 but they still have enough intelligence to organize a counterattack. My bet's on no, as it would seem fitting in this series to go with mutual coexistence. That's kinda one of the running themes.

I'm hoping they go on that salvage mission. I've got a feeling what they find might help explain Ledo's brief flashback in episode 4. Or at least I hope something will.

Oh, Urobutcher, you just couldn't help yourself, could you? Someone just had to die.

So Ledo wants to kill all the Hideauze/whale squids pretty much so they won't make Amy sad? I thought her brother was going to use common sense and mention how Ledo leaving is also making Amy sad.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Urobutcher strikes again, this time, with some brilliant mind****.

Holy **** that random guy an /a/ two weeks ago was right.

They pulled off that plot twist beautifully.

Edit: Also, dat slight change in the opening. A good treat to those who watch it every week.
    Last edited by Charizard Champion#06; 3rd June 2013 at 8:35 AM.

It's obvious to me now that Suisei no Gargantia is actually a sequel to the much more comedy focused Ika Musume, she has obviously taken of the world and converted most of the population into mutant human/squid hybrids, and now has her sights set on galactic domination.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Mixed on this twist. It was pulled off well, but I dunno about the whole "this war is suddenly not okay, but only because the species I've been fighting evolved from humans" thing. It feels a bit like had the Hideauze evolved from another intelligent species, it'd still be alright to slaughter them. But it's definitely something I didn't see coming, and the situation is forcing Ledo to think for himself now.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Edit: Also, dat slight change in the opening. A good treat to those who watch it every week.
    You mean...     Spoiler:- In case people want to find it for themselves:

Though the Twist does certainly explain why the Whalesquid would be considered sacred     Spoiler:- Episode 9 Stuff:
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Though the Twist does certainly explain why the Whalesquid would be considered sacred     Spoiler:- Episode 9 Stuff:
        Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
        Spoiler:
    The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. I'm just of the opinion that     Spoiler:

Of course, this is just my "headcanon", if you will.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

this anime is getting so deep. 3 more episodes. still not expecting a happy ending

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    It's obvious to me now that Suisei no Gargantia is actually a sequel to the much more comedy focused Ika Musume, she has obviously taken of the world and converted most of the population into mutant human/squid hybrids, and now has her sights set on galactic domination.
    Got to get around to Ika Musume S2 now.

But seriously, I knew something was up when Ika Musume voiced a MC in an animu about mutated human/alien squid hybrids.

Let us all thank Chamber for his amazing speech, saving this anime from a sappy "understanding" ending.

Okay, it's still within possibility that the ending will be sappy but damn this episode just pushed the show into a great direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Let us all thank Chamber for his amazing speech, saving this anime from a sappy "understanding" ending.

Okay, it's still within possibility that the ending will be sappy but damn this episode just pushed the show into a great direction.
    Chamber is best girl by far

but ya. its getting good. really wanna know whats going to happen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast