Thread: Please help me with my W2 ingame team!

Default Please help me with my W2 ingame team!

Last thread was closed because I didn't say my movesets.. (because I know they suck)
    Please feel free to help me with the move setup and if I should change some pokemon.
    I can't play online because my 3DS won't accept my wi-fi so this is INGAME only!

Zoroark Lv.31
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Illusion
    Moveset:
    * Foul Play
    * Faint Attack
    * Night Slash
    * Taunt

Growlithe Lv. 29
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Moveset:
    * Ember
    * Flame Wheel
    * Fire Fang
    * Flame burst
    ~I am aware that I should not evolve him until a level or 45~

Ampharos Lv. 30
    Nature: Quirky
    Ability: Static
    Moveset:
    * Thunderpunch
    * Electro Ball
    * Flash (Needed it in Mistralton Cave (where I am now) so that's the reason, gonna delete it as soon as Im outta here!)
    * ThunderShock

Lucario Lv. 32
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Steadfast
    Moveset:
    * Bone Rush
    * Strength
    * Force Palm
    * Ice Punch
    (Getting rid of Strength and Bone Rush soon, Ice punch was a good suggestion because I don't have ice pokemon yet)

Trapinch Lv. 31
    Nature: Docile
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Moveset:
    * Dig
    * Rock Tomb
    * Rock Slide
    * Bulldoze

Samurott Lv. 36
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Torrent
    Moveset:
    * Surf
    * Water Pledge (soon going to be that hydrocannon or something, the move only your starter can learn)
    * Aqua Jet
    * Razor Shell

I hope you guys/girls can help me! I'm wondering if I should change my Trapinch(Flygon) for a Axew(Haxorus)

Please, feel free to comment! I suck at movesets and I hope you can help me to beat this game :')

Quote Originally Posted by xTanisha View Post
    Last thread was closed because I didn't say my movesets.. (because I know they suck)
    Please feel free to help me with the move setup and if I should change some pokemon.
    I can't play online because my 3DS won't accept my wi-fi so this is INGAME only!

So the first thing I notice with your sets is that for the most part your Pokemon only know moves of one type. What's Ampharos going to do if you're against a Ground-type, when it only knows Electric-type attacks (and Flash)? And what about Growlithe against Rock- or Water-types? Fire-type moves surely won't help you much there, but they're all you have. That's why it's important to have some variety in your moves; as a general rule of thumb, stick with only one move per type, unless you go with two and both serve a distinct purpose (eg it's fine to run both Fire Punch and Flare Blitz on a Darmanitan as the first is a reliable STAB move for those times when you don't want to take recoil and the latter is a more reckless but insanely powerful move, and Darmanitan isn't missing out much on coverage (coverage is the ability to hit many different types) since it doesn't have the widest movepool. Anyway, just wanted to get that out of the way because I don't want to have to repeat myself for each Pokemon hahaha. Also, just keep in mind that these sets are designed for when you've evolved the Pokemon that you haven't evolved yet. Onto the rate then.

Zoroark Lv.31
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Illusion
    Moveset:
    * Nasty Plot
    * Hidden Power [Fighting]
    * Dark Pulse
    * Flamethrower

N's Zoroark comes with a great nature and the right IVs to be able to run Hidden Power [Fighting], which pairs excellently with Dark Pulse, providing almost perfect neutral coverage. Dark Pulse is your STAB move of choice; you don't need three Dark-type moves, as I said before, and I suggest Dark Pulse because it's powerful yet reliable. Flamethrower gives you some further coverage. Nasty Plot boosts your SpA so you can sweep more easily.

Growlithe Lv. 29
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Moveset:
    * Flare Blitz / Flamethrower
    * Wild Charge
    * Dragon Pulse / Outrage
    * Extremespeed
    ~I am aware that I should not evolve him until a level or 45~

It's your choice whether you go with Flare Blitz or Flamethrower; they're both great moves, but Flare Blitz is a more powerful physical Fire-type move that deals recoil, whereas Flamethrower is comparatively less powerful (but still does the job done) and special, but is more reliable and you can use it over and over again. Wild Charge is a powerful move to hit Water-types; you likely won't be using it much so the recoil here isn't a big problem, and plus you'd want to be able to use a very powerful move against Water-types because you don't want to mess around with them when you're a Fire-type. Dragon Pulse or Outrage give you some good neutral coverage, and again it's up to you as to which one you choose. Finally, Extremespeed as your last move for a priority move, which is especially useful in your case as your nature (Brave) reduces Speed.

Ampharos Lv. 30
    Nature: Quirky
    Ability: Static
    Moveset:
    * Thunderbolt
    * Focus Blast
    * Signal Beam
    * Thunderwave

Go with Thunderbolt as your STAB move as it's a powerful and reliable move that works off your better attacking stat (Special Attack). You should definitely avoid having only Electric-type moves because, as I mentioned before, if you run into a Ground-type then it's game over for Ampharos. Focus Blast gives you some good coverage, importantly hitting Steel-types for super-effective, and it's a powerful move in general so even neutral hits against, say, Ground-types, would be quite powerful. Signal Beam hits the Grass-types who resist your STAB. Finally, Thunderwave for team support as your team for the most part isn't that fast.

Lucario Lv. 32
    Moveset:
    * Work Up
    * Aura Sphere
    * Shadow Ball
    * Ice Punch

(Getting rid of Strength and Bone Rush soon, Ice punch was a good suggestion because I don't have ice pokemon yet)

This is probably my favourite Lucario set as it's a good mixed set. Therefore Work Up is very important here as it allows you to boost both your Attack and Special Attack. Aura Sphere is your STAB move of choice as it's reliable and powerful. Shadow Ball pairs along excellently with Aura Sphere, as no Pokemon resists the Ghost + Fighting combination. Plus, the chance to lower SpD is always nice to have. Ice Punch rounds out the set, hitting Ground-types super-effectively, who are probably one of your biggest threats.

Trapinch Lv. 31
    Nature: Docile
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Moveset:
    * Earthquake
    * Dragon Claw
    * Rock Slide
    * Fire Punch

Of course, this moveset is for Flygon, not Trapinch, but I'm assuming you'll be evolving it all the way. Earthquake is a great STAB move as it's really powerful and really reliable in terms of accuracy and PP, so definitely go with it. Bulldoze and Dig just aren't powerful enough. Dragon Claw for a reliable STAB move, and Fire Punch to hit Ice-types hard.

Samurott Lv. 36
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Torrent
    Moveset:
    * Surf
    * X-Scissor / Ice Beam
    * Aqua Jet / X-Scissor / Ice Beam
    * Return

Firstly, moves like Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn and other Hyper Beam-esque moves aren't good choices. This is because they require a turn of recharge, which means that you're dealing x amount of damage over two turns when you could be dealing more by going with moves like Surf or Flamethrower. Also, you'll also be taking two turns worth of damage and only dealing damage once. Surf is far superior to Hydro Cannon as over two turns it'll do more damage than Hydro Cannon will. Aqua Jet can be used as a priority move, or you can run either X-Scissor or Ice Beam, the former of which is mainly for Psychic- and Dark-types (as well as Grass-types) and the latter for Grass- and Dragon-types. Return rounds out the set with a powerful source of neutral coverage.

I hope you guys/girls can help me! I'm wondering if I should change my Trapinch(Flygon) for a Axew(Haxorus)

Both are pretty good Pokemon but I feel that Trapinch and Vibrava seem to lag behind in in-game playthroughs. That said if you feel Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon aren't hitting hard enough, Haxorus would definitely solve that problem with its colossal Attack stat.

Haxorus
    Jolly nature
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Rock Slide
    ~ Earthquake

Haxorus already has a massive Attack stat so I don't see much use in boosting it with Swords Dance or an Adamant nature since that's just overkill, but instead think it's better to try and focus on Speed. Dragon Dance helps with that, boosting both your Attack and Speed. Dragon Claw is a reliable and powerful STAB move. Rock Slide and Earthquake give you the great QuakeSlide combo, getting great coverage and hitting any types hard, including Ice- and Steel-types which are rather large threats for Haxorus.

Please, feel free to comment! I suck at movesets and I hope you can help me to beat this game :')
    Comments in bold. I hope this helps!

Also can I just say you gave me a heart attack just then, hahaha. I spent twenty minutes typing this post up and hit 'post reply' only to be told the thread doesn't exist because you deleted it and reposted it (which isn't really a necessary thing to do tbh) but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhanton View Post
    Comments in bold. I hope this helps!
    You surely helped me!
    As I said I'm a huge failure in movesets and you sure helped me a lot <3

Also can I just say you gave me a heart attack just then, hahaha. I spent twenty minutes typing this post up and hit 'post reply' only to be told the thread doesn't exist because you deleted it and reposted it (which isn't really a necessary thing to do tbh) but yeah.
    Hihi sorry ^^

As I always say, considering Zoroark has decent Attack stat and N's Zoroark has 30 Attack IV along with a Nature that doesn't hinder its Attack, why not try a physical move?
    If you want to try giving it a physical move, try Return/U-Turn over Nasty Plot.

Also, if you don't mind getting a new ones

Growlithe : get the one with Hasty/Naive Nature, and go Mixed (Flare Blitz + Dragon Pulse OR Flamethrower + Outrage)
    Ampharos : Modest/Calm Nature
    Lucario : Hasty/Naive Nature
    Trapinch : Adamant/Jolly Nature (or you can replace Fire Punch with Flamethrower and go with Mild/Rash/Hasty/Naive instead)
    Samurott : Mild/Rash/Lonely/Naughty Nature

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    As I always say, considering Zoroark has decent Attack stat and N's Zoroark has 30 Attack IV along with a Nature that doesn't hinder its Attack, why not try a physical move?
    If you want to try giving it a physical move, try Return/U-Turn over Nasty Plot.

Also, if you don't mind getting a new ones

Growlithe : get the one with Hasty/Naive Nature, and go Mixed (Flare Blitz + Dragon Pulse OR Flamethrower + Outrage)
    Ampharos : Modest/Calm Nature
    Lucario : Hasty/Naive Nature
    Trapinch : Adamant/Jolly Nature (or you can replace Fire Punch with Flamethrower and go with Mild/Rash/Hasty/Naive instead)
    Samurott : Mild/Rash/Lonely/Naughty Nature
    I don't like catching new ones because most of them are found at level10 only ..
    And how can I get a néw starter..? I mean, there is only one and as I said: I can't trade them..
    Can I give them different proteins (etcetera) to raise stats which are reduced by their nature?

Thanks for pointing out the wrong natures! Now I know what to do with them!

Zhanton's post really does sum up the best team you can have (i was going to start writing down pokemon and moves, but realised you've already done it (me skipping through quickly *sigh*) glad i didn't do all that i would've looked silly)

Quote Originally Posted by xTanisha
    And how can I get a néw starter..?
    You can breed new starters later after you beat the game and like Shine says its up to you, he's just showing your perfect potential team you could have (useful if you want to go competitive)

And with vitamins it's best to give the vitamins that your pokemon excells at or you want it to excell at, (at least thats what i do) Good luck with your team!
    Last edited by e7ernalfroste; 19th April 2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Pearl FC 2279-8595-3172 Team:
    Heartgold FC 4556-1985-1786 Team:
    Black 2 FC 1765-2751-6586 Current Team:

I do pokemon trades too if you need a certain pokemon I may be able to help PM me
    It's Evaluation time *clicks fingers*

Lucario Lv. 32
    Moveset:
    * Bone Rush
    * Strength
    * Force Palm
    * Ice Punch
    I strongly suggest not getting rid of Bone Rush. I have a Lucario that I use in my team for competitive battling who knows Bone Rush and has saved him from many fire types as fire is super effective against steel types. Bone Rush, with a high enough attack stat and some luck, can be very powerful.

Keep Ice Punch! Replace Strength with Aura Sphere, so you can do a LOT of damage to steel types, who have high defense, but low Special Defense.

You can keep Force Palm, but if you don't care for paralyzing, replace it with Drain Punch to regain HP during battle.

With 2 fighting type attacks, a ground and ice type attacks your Lucario will be Super effective against: Fire, Electric, Poison, Rock, Steel, Normal, Ice, Dark, Grass, Ground, Flying, and Dragon.
    That is 12 of the 17 types of Pokemon.

| 3DS FC: 0447-5218-1131 | Trade Shop | ASB |
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Zephraxe View Post
    I strongly suggest not getting rid of Bone Rush. I have a Lucario that I use in my team for competitive battling who knows Bone Rush and has saved him from many fire types as fire is super effective against steel types. Bone Rush, with a high enough attack stat and some luck, can be very powerful.
    No, get rid of Bone Rush. If you really wanted a Ground type attack, Earthquake is superior, since 66.6% of the time, Bone Rush will be weaker, 16.7% of the time, it'll be equal in power, and 16.7% of the time, it'll be stronger. Assuming it hits, considering Bone Rush has 90% accuracy to Earthquake's perfect 100%. I.e., the majority of the time you'll actually be losing out on damage if you use Bone Rush over Earthquake. That said, Lucario doesn't even need a ground type attack; why bother trying to make it counter fire types when the team will have both Flygon and Samurott? For in-game purposes, Ground and Fighting have some redundancy due to both covering Rock and Steel types.

And Lucario doesn't need two fighting attacks, that's just redundant. It seems that you're assuming you're only going to encounter single-type Pokemon. You're not taking dual types into the equation at all. The reason why a Fighting/Ghost type attack core (Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball) is so popular is because it hits most Pokemon you encounter for at least neutral damage, even dual types. Ice Punch rounds it off since Ice tends to be rather infamous for its great offensive coverage, and hits a lot of powerful threats for some heavy damage (Gliscor, Breloom, most dragons, most flying types, etc.). Hence why a mixed set with Work Up for boosting tends like Zhanton suggests is more reliable.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Default Physical Lucario

Quote Originally Posted by Zephraxe
    I agree with this ^

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco
    No, get rid of Bone Rush. If you really wanted a Ground type attack, Earthquake is superior, since 66.6% of the time, Bone Rush will be weaker, 16.7% of the time, it'll be equal in power, and 16.7% of the time, it'll be stronger. Assuming it hits, considering Bone Rush has 90% accuracy to Earthquake's perfect 100%
    And this ^

That said, Lucario doesn't even need a ground type attack
    But at the same time this ^

Now for my input (you don't have to agree i'm just throwing it out there.) I'm going to assume your lucario is a physical lucario over special attack if so i would not use shadow ball/aura sphere/dark pulse. I'm thinking this moveset.

-ExtremeSpeed/Close Combat
    -Ice Punch
    -Payback
    -Bulk Up/Swords Dance.

Now this looks like a kind of weird moveset but the idea behind it and that is to finish quickly. Now this moveset is going on the assumption Lucario's special attack is the worst it could possibly be and attack is outstanding otherwise Zhanton's moveset is just perfect. Now this moveset i feel your team could use with a powerful sweeper pokemon which uses Bulk up/calm mind or swords dance since you do not have one at the moment i think lucario is your man/woman for this job, Lucario has great coverage all round powerful against most pokemon and one of the only fighting types which takes normal damage from psychic types (only a fool would not use this to there opportunity.) This physical machine will be everything you need in a toe to toe battle.

Now i'm going to explain why i did not put earthquake/bone rush in this set but also agree lucario could use a ground type move. Lucario is fast and outruns most sluggish fire types (there not the fastest type in the world.) And a ground move can really mess an opponent up, however your Lucario is cursed with a nature which hinders it's speed making this strategy far less effective so the earthquake/Bone rush strategy is basically out the window and is far stronger when coupled with a super speedy lucario. There are many ways to build lucario what i suggest to you is to take a piece of what everyone here has said and build your perfect lucario based on what its strengths are. Like i said earlier excell at its stregnths so that they can cover the weaknesses.

Also one last thing I believe that bone rush is not entirely useless in the right hands it can be more effective than earthquake. First i'm going to say i am slightly biased in my opinion because the cosmetic look in the anime makes Lucario and bone rush look beast lol and could not imagine lucario being able to pull off an earthquake at all (kinda lame but meh.) However Bone Rush gives an extra chance to crit and with the right items (Razor claw.) And the right moves (focus energy.) Wouldnt this make bone rush about equal to earthquake if not better? Like i said there are many ways to raise Lucario. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by e7ernalfroste; 20th April 2013 at 12:48 PM.

I do pokemon trades too if you need a certain pokemon I may be able to help PM me

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnBreeder Pride View Post
    Also one last thing I believe that bone rush is not entirely useless in the right hands it can be more effective than earthquake. First i'm going to say i am slightly biased in my opinion because the cosmetic look in the anime makes Lucario and bone rush look beast lol and could not imagine lucario being able to pull off an earthquake at all (kinda lame but meh.) However Bone Rush gives an extra chance to crit and with the right items (Razor claw.) And the right moves (focus energy.) Wouldnt this make bone rush about equal to earthquake if not better? Like i said there are many ways to raise Lucario. What do you guys think?
    Bone Rush has one advantage, and that's the fact that it can KO through Focus Sash/Sturdy. Other than that, it's too unreliable, since the average damage output is less than Earthquake, even more so with imperfect accuracy. Can it be better situationally? Sure. Will it? Statistically speaking, no. Also you never want to bank on a critical hit, since it's unreliable as well. Most of the Pokemon who do try to rely on critical hits do so because they have Super Luck and high crit-rate moves (Absol being the example), but even then it's not something to be relied upon. As far as boosting moves go, Focus Energy is worthless because, despite having potential to make more crits happen, it's just as possible that you won't get a crit, which makes it so you just wasted a turn of set up without any effect. This is why Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Work Up are preferable; no matter what, you will always get the effect.

Risk vs. Reward, and all that. Consistent damage will give you more for your money than relying on luck. Most of the Pokemon who consistently use multi-hit moves are those with Skill Link (Cloyster, Cinccino).
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Bone Rush has one advantage, and that's the fact that it can KO through Focus Sash/Sturdy. Other than that, it's too unreliable, since the average damage output is less than Earthquake, even more so with imperfect accuracy. Can it be better situationally? Sure. Will it? Statistically speaking, no. Also you never want to bank on a critical hit, since it's unreliable as well. Most of the Pokemon who do try to rely on critical hits do so because they have Super Luck and high crit-rate moves (Absol being the example), but even then it's not something to be relied upon. As far as boosting moves go, Focus Energy is worthless because, despite having potential to make more crits happen, it's just as possible that you won't get a crit, which makes it so you just wasted a turn of set up without any effect. This is why Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and Work Up are preferable; no matter what, you will always get the effect.

Risk vs. Reward, and all that. Consistent damage will give you more for your money than relying on luck. Most of the Pokemon who consistently use multi-hit moves are those with Skill Link (Cloyster, Cinccino).
    This is very enlightening ^ Thanks KillerDraco.
    It looks cool in the anime but its better left there. However i still couldn't picture Lucario pulling of earthquake (Earthquake always reminds me of big bulky type pokemon thrashing into the ground.)

Thanks guys!

I always learned my pokemon a few random moves so never thought about it so deeply.

Many thanks! Really, You guys helped me out a lot!

~ I just passed the 5th gym, so I'm still not at the daycare (which I think, is pretty bad It's only after you've beaten the game)

My 6 pokemons are okay for the elite four? Or should I switch some pokemon?

I wasn't sure about Ampharos because veryone said that I should go for Zebstrike, but I like Ampharos :') I don't know, she's kinda cute and helped me a lot in other games!

I switched my Trapinch with an Axew! And Samurott knows return by now.

Thanks to you my poketeam is way more powerfull so thanks for all the advice

Ps, I'm feeding my Lucario with a lot speed raisers because of it's nature!

Thanks guys!

I always learned my pokemon a few random moves so never thought about it so deeply.

Many thanks! Really, You guys helped me out a lot!

~ I just passed the 5th gym, so I'm still not at the daycare (which I think, is pretty bad It's only after you've beaten the game)

My 6 pokemons are okay for the elite four? Or should I switch some pokemon?

I wasn't sure about Ampharos because veryone said that I should go for Zebstrike, but I like Ampharos :') I don't know, she's kinda cute and helped me a lot in other games!

I switched my Trapinch with an Axew! And Samurott knows return by now.

Thanks to you my poketeam is way more powerfull so thanks for all the advice
    You're right, you get to the day care center after the Elite Four. And as long as you follow the movesets from Zhanton's post, I think you'll be just fine in the Elite Four. Just be careful not to have your Haxorus taken out early in the battle with Iris, because then you'll probably just be relying on Lucario's Ice Punch and Close Combat for the rest of the battle.

Ps, I'm feeding my Lucario with a lot speed raisers because of it's nature!
    Not that that will hurt, but typically you want to give vitamins (in this case, Carbos) to pokemon whose stat for that vitamin is already high/high enough. So, you may want to give Lucario Proteins instead, so that it's moves will pack more of a punch, since you're running a physical set last time I checked.

Should I get rid of Ampharos and take another Electric pokemon?

Zhanton;

You said my team isn't very fast. Do you have any other tips? Or should I really catch other nature pokemon? :c

Quote Originally Posted by xTanisha

You said my team isn't very fast. Do you have any other tips? Or should I really catch other nature pokemon? :c
    It's not needed. Since that's in-game, you can keep your team, since it's have more than enough coverage already. Sure, a bit faster pokemon would be better and it's recommended, but it is not that big problem that its urgently need to be fixed. You can pretty much keep it.

And about all the argument over "Bone rush x Earthquake"... To be sincere, i wouldn't suggest any of'em. Zhanton's set have enough coverage to go through the game already, and if that's in-game, Fire Types won't be that much of a problem, and if it is, Stone Edge is recommended instead to add a bit more of coverage, since EQ and Bone Rush aren't doing much that Aura Sphere doesn't do already. Sure, SE and Ice Punch does share a bit of coverage, but so will do Aura Sphere and Earthquake/Bone Rush. And, as far as i know, the biggest problem to Lucario in that game is Volcarona, and she's not weak to Earthquake.

It definitely isn't the end of the world if your natures aren't "ideal".Movesets are much more important.
    Your team has a lot of speed-once Trapinch evolves,it will be nice and speedy,as well as good switch-in to fire and ground moves that target Lucario and Ampharos.Flygon would work better with the rest of your team; but Haxorus is still an impressive sweeper in his own right.

Besides,you don't want to make the mistake of having six hyper-speedy pokes that cannot take a hit from a burnt caterpie:Ampharos might want to be more defensive,perhaps with thunder wave and cotton guard,alongside two attacks and leftovers.
    Your team does not need that much speed-four of your six members hit base 90+ when fully evolved,which is great for ingame:there are few pokes which surpass Zoroark's base 105(and most won't be sweeping your team either ,as your team choices are pretty solid).

Zhanton's sets look good-I'd take them into account(I might post some further suggestions later).

I just catched all their other natures.. DAMNIT hahahah oh god I feel so damn stupid right know.
    My wi-fi on my ds is working at the moment so planning to game 'out'game

But this isn't the right place to talk about that either..

Please feel free to give suggestions! It gives me a better look at the pokemons and I have learned a lot already of all these comments! Thanks again!