Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: have the current game mechanics made competitive play less fun?

Default have the current game mechanics made competitive play less fun?

i still think pokemon is lots of fun, but sometimes i feel like the current game mechanics have made the game a little less fun. EVs, IVs, etc. i liked when there wasn't anything like that.

the current game mechanics are fun, but they're fun in a bit of a different way. what do you think?
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

It honestly doesn't bother me. Besides it's not that confusing when you think about it...

I still play competitively, and I've always used those mechanics to garner an advantage. It's just part of the game when you play at that level. I could understand that it may seem hard to start, but once you have a couple choice pokemon you can use to boost the rest, you're set forever pretty much.
    Now available for Pathfinder (D&D) at DriveThru RPG; Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters. New Class (the Monster Trainer), 6 archetypes, 154 monsters, feats, magic, and so much more. Feel free to PM for more information about this game/world. New Monsters added on Facebook regularly.

Iirc, Ev's and Iv's were in the original games, they just had different names.

Ev's= Stat Experience
    Iv's= Dv's

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post

Ev's= Stat Experience
    Iv's= Dv's
    This is true. They've been around since day 1 as the way to distinguish your Rhydon from Johnny's.
    Now available for Pathfinder (D&D) at DriveThru RPG; Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters. New Class (the Monster Trainer), 6 archetypes, 154 monsters, feats, magic, and so much more. Feel free to PM for more information about this game/world. New Monsters added on Facebook regularly.

Not more fun nor less fun, the current game mechanics actually made competitive play more interesting. In the meantime it becomes more complicated for newbie players, what could sound not fun to them.

IV's and EV"s always existed since Gen 1, we had just some alteration on Gen III. Don't blame them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Not more fun nor less fun, the current game mechanics actually made competitive play more interesting. In the meantime it becomes more complicated for newbie players, what could sound not fun to them.

IV's and EV"s always existed since Gen 1, we had just some alteration on Gen III. Don't blame them for that.
    Exactly this. imo competitive play just got more challenging for good reason.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

I still don't really get the difference between battling with an Npc to playing with another player. I work so hard to train my pokemon to be really good using ev training and they seem really decent battlers however when I go to play against a normal person online my team get wiped out super quick and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, especially since I have put so much time into making a set team decent battlers. And I have been playing since red and blue, competitive battling has never been something I like and is something try to stay clear from.
    KROOKODILE!!!

It doesn't bother me. But back when it was only beating the gym's and playing with your friend it was much better....

At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by shadorai View Post
    i still think pokemon is lots of fun, but sometimes i feel like the current game mechanics have made the game a little less fun. EVs, IVs, etc. i liked when there wasn't anything like that.

the current game mechanics are fun, but they're fun in a bit of a different way. what do you think?
    They've always been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bariokie View Post
    It doesn't bother me. But back when it was only beating the gym's and playing with your friend it was much better....
    Are you somehow prevented from beating the gyms and playing with your friends? Is someone holding a gun to your head and preventing you from doing so?
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

If there weren't these features, and i would keep playing pokemon with the same mentality i used to have when i just started playing, it would be rather sad. Just killing pokes for the sake of lvling up isn't enough. it might be enough for a kid in kindergarden age. i'm glad i got into these mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Are you somehow prevented from beating the gyms and playing with your friends? Is someone holding a gun to your head and preventing you from doing so?
    Dude, you're applying your sarcasm wrongly. Re-read his statement.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunglasses Krookodile View Post
    I still don't really get the difference between battling with an Npc to playing with another player.
    The A.I. is as dumb as toast, and humans are as dumb as humans.

Competitive Pokemon involves prediction. Humans will switch their Pokemon out when the A.I. won't.

I get why they're there and like I know it makes you're Pokemon stronger and stuff, but I don't use them. I understand EVs but not IVs. But I wouldn't have enough patience to train Pokemon in that way.
    I don't think it affects the levels of funness though.

I liked Pokemon beofre EV's and such came in.
    I just like to play it, I'm not competetive.
    It's so complex. e3e
    ~Working on getting a sig~

Quote Originally Posted by MuseHarmonia View Post
    I liked Pokemon beofre EV's and such came in.
    I just like to play it, I'm not competetive.
    It's so complex. e3e
    EV's came in gen 1.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post

Ev's= Stat Experience
    Iv's= Dv's
    sorry, what i meant by that is EVs and IVs in the way we know and use them today.
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

sorry, what i meant by that is EVs and IVs in the way we know and use them today.
    We've known about and manipulated them in their current form since Generation III...?

They existed and were manipulated in Gen I as well. Just because they're done differently doesn't mean any different. If they didn't affect one's enjoyment in Gen I, they shouldn't in any other gen either.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I'm only really bothered by prevalence of weather and how crippling Stealth Rock is to certain Pokemon.

I think they really need to make Drizzle and Drought expire like standard weather and make Cloud Nine actually eliminate the weather instead of just suppressing its effects. I also think Stealth Rock needs to have a limited duration or for it disappear if it hits a Pokemon it's ineffective against or something like that.

The talk about IV's and EV's and how they've existed since generation 1 is probably the result of a miscommunication. It's more like the discovery of these mechanics.

When people played RBY back in the day, they still had fun, even when the most powerful Pokemon were still just ones obtained from training in game, rather than manipulating stats as if they were expert geneticists.

It's pretty safe to say nowadays that had IV's and EV's and these "more obscure" mechanics not been discovered, less people would use Pokemon in a way that leads to what many people complain about as "boring" or "uninteresting" competitive play.

Well when i came back after 6-7 years for Pokemon, I didn't know what the heck those were. It took me months to know them - I'm still confused until now about it since why they're needed. Doesn't matter to me. I train them normally as what I did as a little kid years ago, nya~

Quote Originally Posted by SketchQueen View Post
    The talk about IV's and EV's and how they've existed since generation 1 is probably the result of a miscommunication. It's more like the discovery of these mechanics.

When people played RBY back in the day, they still had fun, even when the most powerful Pokemon were still just ones obtained from training in game, rather than manipulating stats as if they were expert geneticists.

It's pretty safe to say nowadays that had IV's and EV's and these "more obscure" mechanics not been discovered, less people would use Pokemon in a way that leads to what many people complain about as "boring" or "uninteresting" competitive play.
    This post is based on an assumption that no one knew about the mechanics in Gen I. This is false. People made battle simulators to play the games on, websites existed detailing the mechanics, and I remember even the VGC tournaments had people talking about them. In one particularly hilarious issue of Nintendo Power that covered that years official tournament, one of the players talked about "EV training" and the magazine misquoted him as "Eevee training".

Nothing has changed since Gen I. Advance mechanics existed and were known about then, and existed and are known about now. Just like then, they can still be ignored and are not required to know about to play the main game or play against other people.

Anyone who enjoyed Pokemon in the "good ol days" but doesn't know probably says more about them than it does about the game, as far as the advanced mechanics go.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    This post is based on an assumption that no one knew about the mechanics in Gen I. This is false. People made battle simulators to play the games on, websites existed detailing the mechanics, and I remember even the VGC tournaments had people talking about them. In one particularly hilarious issue of Nintendo Power that covered that years official tournament, one of the players talked about "EV training" and the magazine misquoted him as "Eevee training".

Nothing has changed since Gen I. Advance mechanics existed and were known about then, and existed and are known about now. Just like then, they can still be ignored and are not required to know about to play the main game or play against other people.

Anyone who enjoyed Pokemon in the "good ol days" but doesn't know probably says more about them than it does about the game, as far as the advanced mechanics go.
    The existence of stat exp and IVs in generation I makes little difference in gameplay to most people since:

1) Technology isn't as ubiquitous and advanced as what we have today. Sure, those mechanisms existed, but I'm between sure back in the 90s no one in my whole school would know anything about it. I didn't even send out my first E-mail until in like 2001, while kids who are at the age when I got my first Pokemon game can handle smartphones and google the basic stuff. It's a difference of not knowing at all v.s. knowing (because you will read or hear about it sooner or later) and actively ignoring it.

2) There's little you could do to "customize" those stats. From the article on Bulbapedia it would seem that every Pokemon get the same stats exp as long as you train your Pokemon up, and when it comes to IVs there's no breeding; it's pretty much up to luck as to what you get from the wild. And I would guess that the 'websites' you're talking about served as an analysis of game codes rather than game guides for the average player. The impact of those mechanisms really matter when GF made the stats more variable than before while handing out more in-game tools to modify them, starting from Gen II and III.

Generalizing the fact that some form of stats modifying mechanisms exists both in Gen I and later gens to assume that it makes no difference back then and now is a pretty narrow point of view.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 17th April 2013 at 5:15 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

There are EV and IV in Gen 1.. Most fans today call them Stat Exp and DV just to seperate them from their 3rd Gen+ versions. Until GSC, the only way to get better Pokémon was catching them. At least there where only 4 DVs you needed to worry about. (HP's DV worked differently in Gen 1 & 2)

And hey, there's a "DV" Calculator on a website: http://www.upokecenter.com/data/statchecker.php

Before you ask, we don't have one.. All we can do is 3rd gen or later: http://serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast