Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overrated Pokémon

Cool Overrated Pokémon

I know there is a thread on here called Unloved Pokemon. This is the opposite. Here, you discuss the Pokemon you feel are overrated. Hmm, I think I'll start. We are all guilty of using some of these, but: Gardevoir, Gallade, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Flygon, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydriegon, Arcanine, Sawsbuck. The list could go on and on, but the rest are for you to talk about!

Sawsbuck, I... I don't understand.

Metagross could be overrated, but as with many of your other examples, its overrated for a good reason. Metagross is really smashing with Meteor Mash.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post

Metagross could be overrated, but as with many of your other examples, its overrated for a good reason. Metagross is really smashing with Meteor Mash.
    Don't forget earthquake its a devastating Physical sweeper or a very effective wall for triple teams.

What's overrated to me are all Ubers. I don't use Ubers with the exception of Excadrill apparently.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

Charizard for sure. I like him but I don't over love him unlike a lot of fans. The neck disturbs be however but that doesn't mean I hate him at all.

And I don't see how Sawsbuck is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikatoshi26 View Post
    Don't forget earthquake its a devastating Physical sweeper or a very effective wall for triple teams.

What's overrated to me are all Ubers. I don't use Ubers with the exception of Excadrill apparently.
    Are you playing Random Matchups?
    Last edited by Dragalge; 17th April 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Well I suppose it depends on what sort of 'overrated' is being referred to, for battling or just general fandom?

Because if the latter, then there are several, Charizard, Lucario and Gardevoir spring to mind.

Charizard for sure. He's alright and he's one of mah fire brethren but I never really understood why people went crazy about him. I get that he looks kinda cool but...

Charizard, gallade, all the eeveelutions.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Infernape as well. I never knew what people saw in him, I really never liked him much at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

Lucario is one of the most overrated Pokemon I've ever seen. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon revealed, it's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it had a movie of its own (and its not even a legendary!), I see it used in competitive battling all the time, and everyone geeks out over how early you can get it in the second gen 5 games.

It's just a Lucario, people.

My 3DS FC: 3351-4281-5654. Message me if you want to fight in Smash or something.

Lucario, mew, pikachu, the TM hidden power, and oshawott in the anime.
    Yellow Team-
    UnovaRPG Team-
    Emerald Team-
    SoulSilver Team-
    Black Team-

Lucario, mew, pikachu, the TM hidden power, and oshawott in the anime. oh and of course castform.
    Yellow Team-
    UnovaRPG Team-
    Emerald Team-
    SoulSilver Team-
    Black Team-

Quote Originally Posted by Bonetail View Post
    Lucario is one of the most overrated Pokemon I've ever seen. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon revealed, it's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it had a movie of its own (and its not even a legendary!), I see it used in competitive battling all the time, and everyone geeks out over how early you can get it in the second gen 5 games.

It's just a Lucario, people.
    I've always felt like that Pokemon's popularity is ill deserved. Admittedly, I fell for it back in the 4th gen days when Lucario was shoved in our face. What with the movie and it replacing Mewtwo in Brawl. I actually thought it was cool. It feels like they tried the same crap with Zoroark but with less luck. :/

Charizard
    Eeveelutions, especially Umbreon
    Lucario
    Zoroark
    Gardevoir (oh lord why does this abomination exist)
    Absol
    Mewtwo
    Lugia
    Blaziken
    Darkrai

Everything is overrated for a reason though.

This is a highly subjective discussion.....

Overrated in the sense of what? There's no hard evidence here. It's purely arbitrary and there is nothing to really back many of these claims. The only way to concretely classify something as overrated is analyzing it's usage, and it's average number of KO's per faint. (this method is only truly viable for Offensive pokemon) It doesn't seem like the term overrated fits here. The Pokemon would have to fail to meet their reputation that precedes them from the perspective of the majority of informed battlers....

If we are talking about from the perspective of general fandom then many of the Pokemon listed are still highly debatable cases. In their respective games, most of the Pokemon listed are very helpful in making the game a breeze... especially the Pseudo-Legends.

I think a better term for this is most "Popular" Pokemon because I only see two Pokemon (Gardevoir & Charizard) that can be considered overrated from a battling perspective. Even then, those two are still highly debatable because very few battlers even utilize them on the servers that yield statistics.

If something is overrated for a "good reason" then it's technically not even overrated....
    Last edited by WarriorPrince; 18th April 2013 at 7:30 PM.
    You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness...

[IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/34si8ac.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Bonetail View Post
    Lucario is one of the most overrated Pokemon I've ever seen. It was one of the first 4th gen Pokemon revealed, it's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it had a movie of its own (and its not even a legendary!).
    These are basically one reason. It was on the Super Smash Bros. likely because it had already gotten coverage: it was an early revelation and it was on the movie. And it was on the movie because it was an early revelation.

I can perfectly understand such a Pokémon becoming a flagship of its generation then. I love Lucario's design and its personality in the movie myself, so I still feel it's a great flagship. Even if you think of it as an overrated Pokémon, there sure are reasons for this. It was Lucario who marketed the Gen IV in the first place!

One could even argue that it's underrated, since it still wouldn't be as popular a mention as Pikachu is if you ask men-of-the-street!

Pretty much every competitive battling tier has its overrated Pokémon in my opinion. Looking at every tier, the best players have narrowed down to pretty much the same species of Pokémon each. Obvious reasons though: apparently they are the best battlers of their tier.

I'd say the Pikachu clones are overrated in general fandom. I think the look-a-likes only take away from the original's appeal. Pichu was alright though since I didn't find their anime personalities that over-the-top and due time it began feeling like a natural pre-evo of Pikachu.

Have to mention the Vanillux line, sorry. Apparently it's pretty popular. I still don't get it though... It's ice cream; it should have nothing to do with being a Pokémon! (Oddly I don't feel the same with Grimer, Magnemite, etc. lines; they always felt like being part of the pack somehow, maybe because they were there in the first place when I jumped in and I wasn't this cynical back then. Anywho, waiting for someone to play nostalgy glasses cards and flame the crap out of this message. )
    Last edited by Golemite; 18th April 2013 at 11:10 AM.

My current and FINAL Red team.
    I just can't start a new one since there are no Link Cables around these days. Requiscat in Pace! :´(
    (^ Okay, gotta admit it looks better in COLOR! )

Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    Well I suppose it depends on what sort of 'overrated' is being referred to, for battling or just general fandom?

Because if the latter, then there are several, Charizard, Lucario and Gardevoir spring to mind.
    Both. Charizard and Samurott are the most overrated starters IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post

Sawsbuck overrated? I thought I was the only one that liked it.

Anyways I think the following are overrated at least slightly: Lucario, Eeveelutions (Top of the damn list), Pikachu, Typhlosion (When comparing to the other Johto starters, Gliscor and Blastoise.
    1st X run:

Charizard the thread.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

The thread is about to post my personal opinion about the possible overrated Pokemon, then this is a piece of my list:

Gyarados
    Milotic
    Lucario
    Volcarona
    Krookodile
    Salamence
    Hydreigon
    Samurott
    Blaziken

zorua/zoroark
    Lucario
    Blaziken
    Umbreon
    Metagross
    Arcanine
    Flygon
    Ampharos
    Manaphy

Blaziken, Electivire, Gardevoir, all eeveelutions minus Jolteon, Garchomp in Gen 4, Mew, Ferrothorn and Volcarona.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    The thread is about to post my personal opinion about the possible overrated Pokemon, then this is a piece of my list:

Gyarados
    Milotic
    Lucario
    Volcarona
    Krookodile
    Salamence
    Hydreigon
    Samurott
    Blaziken
    Wait a minute, How is Samurott overrated? He's pretty much borderline underrated. He's cool and all, but not used much. The Overrated Pokémon I say would be Charizard. Whenever you ask someone about the best pokémon or the greatest, Charizard is always the first thing to come to their minds. Don't get me wrong, Charizard is ok, but he pretty much overstayed his welcome. Salamence is also overrated mainly because of his stats. The truth is that Mence is not that great, to make it short, he causes death on both sides of the field...
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

charizard. he's awesome but yeah he's the most talked about pokemon ever. And Salamence. And magikarp in a weird way i cant explain.
    dont get me wrong, I love these pokemon.
    Last edited by pokemonmaster99325; 10th June 2013 at 8:02 PM.
    I love every Pokemon!

Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, etc. It's a shame too because I generally favor Generation 1 Pokemon, but some of them are way overrated.

In the Anime, probably Steelix. Also, I just keep on remembering the move Defense Curl and Iron Tail being used over and over in the Anime.

As by fanbase, I'd probably have to say the above-mentioned Charizard. However, another "overrated" pokemon would be yet another Gen 1. pokemon, Rhydon. I mean, yeah, it is the first pokemon ever, but other than being on Blue's team, I don't really see what is so special about it. Sorry Rhydon, but I still love you.
    Latest Shiny (8/6/14)
    Obtained via: MM Egg 76
    X: 2723-9673-8419
    FS:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast