View Poll Results: What is the worst way Ash lost a League

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ritchie winning because Charizard disobeyed him

    26 27.66%
  • Harrison winning with Blaziken

    2 2.13%
  • Tyson winning with Meowth

    2 2.13%
  • Tobias winning with Darkrai and Latios

    13 13.83%
  • Cameron winning with 5 Pokemon

    51 54.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Thread: What is the worst way Ash lost a League?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ariana's vocal cords
    Posts
    44,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Edit: Haha why am I not suprised at the result
    Well we're talking about someone who practically cheated and got away with it. So of course it's not really a surprise.

    I'm surprised that Ash's loss to Ritchie got so many votes though given that Charizard seems to be a fan favorite who, according to most people, has no flaws. :x

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Well we're talking about someone who practically cheated and got away with it. So of course it's not really a surprise.

    I'm surprised that Ash's loss to Ritchie got so many votes though given that Charizard seems to be a fan favorite who, according to most people, has no flaws. :x
    Even the most flaming (hehe) charizard fanboys can admit that was definitely one flaw, that he single handily caused ash to lose to ritchie.
    My first shiny ever caught!

    Named Admiral Sentret

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sky Pillar
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I saw the episode where Ash lost to Cameron and his cario. Although it was kinda pathetic, Ash not training czard to even obey him seemed way worse.
    Some of my faves:


    Now to fill the rest of this space.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Best to worst:
    #1: Harrison
    #2: Tyson
    #3: Ritchie
    #4: Cameron
    #5: Tobiass
    I'd switch 4 and 5, but I agree with 1-3.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Because no one wants to invest in a main character (I don't care about him, but others do), only for an uber noob to be thrown in just to curb stomp him. And in the end, him being 2nd best didn't really matter.
    At least Ash's loss to Tobias was glorious. Him being second is a new high in all of Pokemon. He didn't even come close any of the other leagues. Also, Ash's loss to Cameron is completely humiliating. In truth, if Ash had actually played smartly like how he did during vs Kenyan, he could've won. I'm not talking about using another team. Not talking about using Charizard/Sceptile/Infernape/Snorlax etc etc. I'm talking about with his arguably weakest team.

    I'd much rather have a cheap win than a humiliating win. Considering how Ash doesn't even seem to feel at least a bit... sad, it just really ruins it for me.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    The Kanto, Hoenn and Unova ones are all just horrible. I don't know why people keep talking about it like it's going away or anything. You can still hate league losses but still like certain battles about them. That's what Pokémon is about. I hope we can move past this because I get sick thinking about it.

    My ideal battle ever!

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    I haven't even finished watching the Unova league episodes yet (I'm playing catchup), but I don't anything could compare to the heartbreak of Ash losing the Kanto league because Charizard wouldn't obey him.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14 NEW!! 10/18 NEW!! 10/19 NEW!! 10/22
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    I haven't even finished watching the Unova league episodes yet (I'm playing catchup), but I don't anything could compare to the heartbreak of Ash losing the Kanto league because Charizard wouldn't obey him.
    Oh, this is pretty close, Wobbanut. I'd even argue it's the worst of them all. The Indigo League loss is a very close second, though, but for me this one takes the cake.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sinnoh w/ Dawn
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wobbanut View Post
    I haven't even finished watching the Unova league episodes yet (I'm playing catchup), but I don't anything could compare to the heartbreak of Ash losing the Kanto league because Charizard wouldn't obey him.
    yeah the Unova loss was BS. Indigo made sense it was his first league. I hate Hoenn as well out stratergized by a meowth......grumble grumble.


    My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

    Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

    Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hikatoshi26 View Post
    yeah the Unova loss was BS. Indigo made sense it was his first league. I hate Hoenn as well out stratergized by a meowth......grumble grumble.
    Agreed. Hoenn felt generic, Kanto sucked, and Unova was pure BS of a League.

    Sinnoh is my least favorite saga so far, and even I have to admit the League was excellent in that region.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    644

    Default

    OK, now let me tell a small tale of why I detest Cameron. See, it doesn't just piss me off that he won with 5 pokemon, used an uber pokemon he seemingly pulled out of thin air, and a freaking lucario that took out a FLYING type pokemon, no that's not what takes the cake for me. See, Cameron is an idiot, he had no idea what he was doing. If it weren't for Ash being a nice guy and helping out a friend, he'd be in freaking Johto. See, the reason why it pisses me off so much is because recently something similar happened to me. I lost a part in a play because I decided to be a nice guy and tell my competitor that the director wanted him to audition for the same part as me when he didn't know. I decided to be the nice guy. Long story short, the director made me drop my black belt training guarenteeing that I'd have the part, and ended up giving the other guy the part. Because I was nice, I lost.
    The fact that something so similar happened to Ash only about a month or two after I had experienced a similar defeat...you could definately say it brought up some serious anger I had. Anyways, I didn't come here to complain about my life, but that is, among MANY other reasons, why I hate Cameron and always will.
    As for the others, Tobias was cheap, but Ash took out two legendaries. If the writers are going to be jerks and never let Ash win, at least they did it that time in a cool way. Charizard not obeying Ash I can accept because it was only the first season and it allowed for character development. As for the Blaziken and Meowth battles, eh, Ash got out strategized. There's nothing wrong with that.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†



    Christianity is a Relationship with our true God, Jesus. It's not a Religion. Copy and paste If you agree

    Registeel is mine, yay!

    Adventure of Adventureness & Awesome of Awesomeness: Smashing the 4th wall into gazillion pieces since 2010. - Sig too long, so Mod a cropped it

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere Beyond the Barricade
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    You know, people used to go on all the time about how disappointing it was that we never got to see Ash battle legendary pokemon in a trainer battle and that legendaries were treated as off-limits. Then when the writers introduce a skilled and majestic trainer who has not only captured but gained the respect of two mid-level legendaries (and they're really not legendary by anime standards, as they're definitely not unique and don't have particularly mythic qualities) and used them in battle... it's considered a low point for the series. Tobias did seem to come out of nowhere, but the show made it clear that he was making his league debut with the intention of winning with a single pokemon. Ash was the ONLY trainer, gym leader or league, who was able to prevent this. Tobias won two other full battles with only Darkrai. I concede that Latios was maybe overkill and I would have preferred something like Tyranitar, but how many other times have we legitimately been surprised by the show? Latios was a very well-kept secret, as was the fact that Sceptile would be the one to overcome Darkrai. I like that they took such a massive one-off risk and I believed Tobias and enjoyed the episode. I would have preferred a two-parter and some backstory for Tobias, but DP was wrapping up and we at least got a couple of awesome match-ups in there.

    As for Cameron... yeah, that match was really dumb. The five pokemon problem wasn't even the worst of it; using Ferrothorn and Swanna against such bad match-ups was just stupid, as was giving Pikachu two wins which could well have gone to others. Snivy should have defeated Samurott in my opinion, while Ferrothorn would have been good for defeat by Unfezant. Riolu evolving mid-battle to defeat Ash? I'm fine with that, because I like Lucario and Ash hadn't battled one in quite a long time (and never with Pikachu) so my biggest qualm would be that they let so few of Ash's Unova pokemon shine in that league.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    213

    Default

    [QUOTE=ChaosMage;15928279]You know, people used to go on all the time about how disappointing it was that we never got to see Ash battle legendary pokemon in a trainer battle and that legendaries were treated as off-limits. Then when the writers introduce a skilled and majestic trainer who has not only captured but gained the respect of two mid-level legendaries (and they're really not legendary by anime standards, as they're definitely not unique and don't have particularly mythic qualities) and used them in battle... it's considered a low point for the series. Tobias did seem to come out of nowhere, but the show made it clear that he was making his league debut with the intention of winning with a single pokemon. Ash was the ONLY trainer, gym leader or league, who was able to prevent this. Tobias won two other full battles with only Darkrai. I concede that Latios was maybe overkill and I would have preferred something like Tyranitar, but how many other times have we legitimately been surprised by the show? Latios was a very well-kept secret, as was the fact that Sceptile would be the one to overcome Darkrai. I like that they took such a massive one-off risk and I believed Tobias and enjoyed the episode. I would have preferred a two-parter and some backstory for Tobias, but DP was wrapping up and we at least got a couple of awesome match-ups in there.


    Agreed. People act as if the Pokemon League is Smogon. There are no tiers in the Anime. If a person is strong enough to catch a legendary, then he or she should be allowed to use it. So long as it isn't an Arceus lol
    Last edited by DedicatedFan; 24th April 2013 at 10:21 PM.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Tobias was the worst. Ash had a decent team in Sinnoh, and he used his previous pokemon as well. The legendaries were used to make sure Ash lost. His team didn't help though. Swellow, Torkoal and Gible were just there to take the hit.
    Cameron was the next worst. I would have put him first like so many others, but Ash was always going to lose the Unova league at some point. His Gym battle with Roxie all but guaranteed it.
    The battle with Ritchie is next. It was painfully inevitable.
    I don't know which was better - Tyson or Harrison. At least Ash had good full battles against both. But I suppose that Harrison was more annoying because Charizard should have had the edge in terms of type advantage.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

    Current Y team (champions)


    Current X team (6th gym badge won)

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Tobias was the worst. Ash had a decent team in Sinnoh, and he used his previous pokemon as well. The legendaries were used to make sure Ash lost. His team didn't help though. Swellow, Torkoal and Gible were just there to take the hit.
    Cameron was the next worst. I would have put him first like so many others, but Ash was always going to lose the Unova league at some point. His Gym battle with Roxie all but guaranteed it.
    The battle with Ritchie is next. It was painfully inevitable.
    I don't know which was better - Tyson or Harrison. At least Ash had good full battles against both. But I suppose that Harrison was more annoying because Charizard should have had the edge in terms of type advantage.
    Couldn't you say the same thing about the Sinnoh League?

    Random : PokéRadar


  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Couldn't you say the same thing about the Sinnoh League?
    Okay, so maybe it was inevitable that Ash would lose in the Sinnoh league as far as the writers not wanting him to win goes. However a win at the Sinnog league would have been, I think, believable, based on the fact that his team was well rounded and he was using his reserves to great effect. Darkrai and Latios were like a concrete wall reinforced with steel bars, electrified chain-link fencing and a massive stop sign plonked in Ash's way deliberately to make sure that he went no further whereas against a trainer with regular pokemon he might have faired better and made it to the final at least.
    Ash's Unova team, however, left a lot to be desired, especially Unfezant, Oshawott and Snivy. That he chose not to use his reserves meant that it was blindingly obvious from the get-go that he was not going to win, and pretty much made the entire tournament a waiting game for when he inevitably got knocked out.
    Until Tobas was introduced there was always a slight chance that the Sinnoh league was going to be the time Ash got to the final round at least. Unova was not a case of "if" he got knocked out but "when," and that feeling was there from the battle with Roxie, if not before.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

    Current Y team (champions)


    Current X team (6th gym badge won)

  17. #42

    Default

    The only reason the loss against Ritchie bugged me was because Ash was forced to use his disloyal Charizard, iirc. Team Rocket's incessant meddling was what ultimately ruined his chance. I'd say that was the worst. However, I have no problems with him losing because of Charizard. It rightfully made Ash look pathetic, and it showed that he had a very long way to go. After all, he couldn't even get his own Pokemon to obey him.

    Ash just wasn't tough enough to best Harrison or Tyson, though he fought hard. I felt that he got better each time.

    Yes, Tobias was a total deus ex machina. Ash had an incredible shot at winning that league. The "underdog" vibe the writers love to impose on Ash wasn't very strong during this league, and I liked that. Ash both acted and battled like competent trainer and was a force to be reckoned with. Then came Tobias. I actually didn't mind that lost too much, to be honest. He showed us that legendaries are now fair game, and that while Ash has come very far (Well, at least he did.), he still has a long way too go.

    Cameron's situation was funny. Ash has been pathetic ever since BW started, so I'm glad he got beat by such an imbecile. Serves him right. I also like how Ash's league placement regressed. Now that we know he can do worse, there's more suspense.
    Last edited by BOUYSEL'S BEST FRIEND; 27th April 2013 at 2:01 AM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    I think the battle with Cameron was the worst. He got a position lower than he did last time.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    Okay, now I've seen the Unova League, but I'm still of the opinion that his loss to Richie was the worst. Cameron's stupidity made the Unova loss a little less hurtful with humor.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14 NEW!! 10/18 NEW!! 10/19 NEW!! 10/22
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Definitely the Unova League situation.

    I mean, c'mon! I'd rather lose by defeating 2 legendary Pokémon than by losing to a noob with 5 pokémon.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    727

    Default

    1. To Cameron

    My word, I don't dislike Cameron (that much), because Ash's defeat it's pretty much Ash's fault. It didn't help Pallet Boy the ever good samaritan way of life, dragging Cameron to the registration just in the last second, coping with his scatterbrainish persona and, by the actual battle, going all "You like Battle? I like Battle! Let's Battle 'cause it's fun!". Putting the icing on the cake, Ash remaining plain indifferent to another loss, like this league was an average tournament did not serve him well.

    2. To Richie

    Richie was boring to the deeps of the Ooze, but, the true fault lies with Team Rocket for exhaust Ash's pokemon, and a half to Ash himself. By that time, he should know better that TR screw the things at worst time possible. Having charizard being a douche that moment it's only because of Ash's poor training with it by the time, plus don't have a support member ready, like kingler, muk or even tauros. Anyway, Indigo was the first league, everything was too green and Ash got some development. It's an okay defeat.

    3. To Tobias

    Plot device or not, Ash was unprepared against Tobias, that was a fact. Tobias only known pokemon was a demolisher darkrai with a One-Hit-K.O. record. I can't really blame Ash for this. My only complain about that match is that it should have been last league battle. Ash was the unofficial runner up, just for be the only one to make Tobias draw the second (of six...?) legendary.

    4. To Harrison

    Charizard lose to blaziken was really dumb, but, it wasn't a bad fight as a whole. It was a full battle, Ash only had to lose, Harrison was more bland than Richie. It was an average performance.

    5. To Tyson

    I can't figure what is the problem with that one. Meowth-in-boots apart, It was a balanced fight, a really good battle and a honored way to get Ash away to the podium. Not a problem at all.
    Last edited by DuquĘ?; 4th May 2013 at 1:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Basically any interesting idea you have when speculating about new regions invariably ends with:
    - Ash showing up in a new region with Pikachu without a clue how to do anything besides battling and breathing;
    - He accidentally runs into the new new girl who will be the main companion;
    - He meets a creepy older gentleman* who will follow him around and do the things Ash apparently is either not smart enough to do, or expects that someone will it for him.

    *Averted. Now, we have a gadget maniac and his hyper-active lil' sis.
    Platinum FC - 1075 8811 5380

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Okay, so maybe it was inevitable that Ash would lose in the Sinnoh league as far as the writers not wanting him to win goes. However a win at the Sinnog league would have been, I think, believable, based on the fact that his team was well rounded and he was using his reserves to great effect. Darkrai and Latios were like a concrete wall reinforced with steel bars, electrified chain-link fencing and a massive stop sign plonked in Ash's way deliberately to make sure that he went no further whereas against a trainer with regular pokemon he might have faired better and made it to the final at least.
    Ash's Unova team, however, left a lot to be desired, especially Unfezant, Oshawott and Snivy. That he chose not to use his reserves meant that it was blindingly obvious from the get-go that he was not going to win, and pretty much made the entire tournament a waiting game for when he inevitably got knocked out.
    Until Tobas was introduced there was always a slight chance that the Sinnoh league was going to be the time Ash got to the final round at least. Unova was not a case of "if" he got knocked out but "when," and that feeling was there from the battle with Roxie, if not before.
    Did you honestly expect Ash to win a game-region league, I mean, at all?
    Even in the Sinnoh League it was a matte of when he was knocked out not if due to the nature of the anime.
    It just seems that people got their hopes way too high for Sinnoh and when that crashed, they lowered their expectations for Unova.

    Random : PokéRadar


  23. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,675

    Default

    I had to say Cameron.
    I dislike the battle between Ash and Cameron. Only Pikachu and Pignite managed to shine in this battle, and, to be honest, winning with five Pokémon while Ash got six is just too much. Losing after having a great fight (instead of that turnover where Riolu recovered entirely by evolving and not being knocked out even after being hit at least ten times by Pikachu) would have been great, but this one was just a big fail. I have a lot of respect for Ash's battle with Tobias even if it wasn't very fair, though. Tobias managed to catch a Darkrai and a Latios and trained them as it was normal Pokémon, and Ash defeated both of them while any other trainer did when battling against Tobias. Of course, it's not the best, I bet Tyson's was great (I didn't watched it yet) but Cameron was the worst I've ever seen.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 4th May 2013 at 1:30 AM.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt account

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Definitely Unova league, especially when he lost to Cameron of all people.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    417

    Default

    No, I knew that the writers would not want him to win, but it felt like that was a good time to let him win and have it be a convincing win if they wanted to do so. I'd have liked it better if he had lost in a close run battle with another trainer who was just as strong and just happened to beat him. But instead they just shoved in Darkrai and Latios to make sure that he lost. It was cheap and ultimately disrespectful to all the development that the character had gone through, not only in Sinnoh, but through the Battle Frontier, Hoenn and Johto.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

    Current Y team (champions)


    Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •