Thread: The Hunters

Default The Hunters

Hello Serebiiers! I'm Justin, and this is my first fanfic posted on Serebii! I've written many more on paper, but I think I'll post this one to get some serious feedback (and some likes!)
    Anyways, this is a classic Pokemon story and plot, and I hope you guys will like it!

Spoiler:- PM LIST:

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 1:
    Taken by Storm
    Lightning flashed, thunder boomed, and the rain rolled off the windows of the small plane that was set for the Unova Region. Bran, a 12 year old boy, glanced nervously to his father from the co-pilots seat. "Father", he commented, "the weather doesn't seem very...good at the moment. Maybe we should stop and land?" John, Bran's father, spared a second to look at his son.

"I know we should, but we're on a tight schedule. And even if we had to rest, there isn't anywhere to stop. Pelipper has confirmed that." John patted Pelipper, who was perched next to him. The bird pokemon squawked and ruffled its feathers.

"But..."started Bran. His father cut him off.

"I'm sorry Bran, but we need the money. We have to fly through this storm and deliver the cargo that Prof. Juniper ordered." John gestured toward the cargo door. "She had specifically told me to get it to her by tomorrow. We can't risk being late. And, uh, son, go back to monitoring the radar. We don't want to crash into another plane."

Bran sighed, and sank into his chair, eyes fixed on the radar for a plane, or better, some signs of land. He stared at the gadget until suddenly, the door leading to the cargo burst open, revealing two hooded figures. Bran let out a cry of alarm, and unbuckled his seat belt. His father spun back, glanced at the duo, and then back to the controls.
    "Don't hurt us. The plane will go down if we go down." he said, voice tight with tension.

"Who...why...how are you here?!" Bran rasped, the words barely getting out of his mouth.

One of the hooded figures replied in a sharp tone. "No need to ask questions. You do not need to know. And, who said we couldn't fly a plane by ourselves?"

Bran's father twitched, and he yelled, "Pelipper, Wing Attack!"

The other figure snickered, and threw a Poke Ball into the air. "Go, Weavile, use Ice Punch!" The Weasel Pokemon appeared in the air, and slammed Pelipper with a ice coated fist. The bird went down, completely frozen.

Bran was terrified. He fingered his own Poke Ball and croaked, "Go, Starly! Peck!" The small bird from the Sinnoh Region materialized in a flash of white light. It chirped, fluttered to the air, and soared toward Weavile, beak-first.

The hooded figure replied to this in a mocking tone. "Slash!" Weavile cut at Starly with its claws, effectively stopping the birds assault, and sending it, spinning right at Bran. Bran was slammed back into the plane, hard. The last thing he remembered before the world turned black was a Cryogonal freezing the radio with a icy beam of energy.

When Bran woke up, he was in an ambulance with Nurses and Blisseys all around him. He was woozy and light-headed, and the time seemed to pass very quickly. When he arrived at the hospital, he was carried in a stretcher with Starly in his arms.

The nurses carried him into a white room, and propped him up on the bed, and left him to catch his breath. Bran looked around the room and took in the details with his foggy head. There was a sink, and many jars of liquid and cotton balls seated on the tabletop. A desk with a laptop was next to the sink, with an unoccupied chair. Exhausted by just absorbing his surroundings, Bran's eyes dropped down to Starly.

The Pokemon was covered in bandages and trembled feebly in his arms.
    "Its going to be all right, dont worry!"

A kind voice made its way into Brans head. Bran looked up, and saw Nurse Joy standing over him, with a Staryu in her arms, and a Chansey following her, carrying a tray. She put the Staryu onto the bed next to Bran. Starly chirped when it saw the star pokemon. The Chansey handed the tray to Bran, and Bran took it with his sore arms. Nurse Joy gingerly picked up Starly, and said, "I'll take care of you Pokemon, while you regain your energy. Eat up!" Bran set the tray onto his lap, and picked up the chopsticks. He blew on the ramen for a few seconds, then began to wolf the noodles down. He drained his cup of water, and was about to ask for a second one when Staryu sprayed water into Bran's cup, refilling it. The boy stared at his cup a moment, then patted Staryu and took a small sip, tasting the water. The clear liquid tasted fine, and he finished the cup.
    Nurse Joy came back right then, handing Starly back to Bran. The bird was free of its old bandages, and the cut left by Weavile was almost healed. "Weavile!" Bran whispered, memories flooding back into his brain. Nurse Joy blinked at him.

"Where's my father?!" he cried, and tried to get up, but failed. Nurse Joy's face was a mask. "Bran. I'm so sorry."

"WHERE IS HE?!" Bran screamed, tears running down his cheek.

"When you landed," began Nurse Joy, "the officers saw two hooded figures carrying a man on their backs. The officers chased them but..."

"...But they didn't catch them." finished Bran, bitterness clear in his voice.

Nurse Joy nodded sadly, then said, "But who do know where they're from. They've been terrorizing the Unova Region quite recently after Team Plasma was defeated."

Bran stared at her, suddenly fueled by a small spark of hope.

"Where...where are they from?" he asked slowly.

"They are from an organization called...The Hunters."

---END OF CHAPTER 1---
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 1st May 2013 at 11:26 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Good job, Justin. So much potential with the end of this chapters. You know, I have to follow your style. The chapters in my fanfic were too long, and it made it difficult for me to post without having a long chapter.

Mad props, bro!

All right, thanks for the feedback GenosectArceus!

Now guys, I'll be posting the second chapter!

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 2:
    Companion

"That was 2 years ago," thought Bran as he lay in bed. He was back in the Sinnoh Region with his mother, and Brian still couldn't forget his father's disappearance. Bran's head was swarming with thoughts, and he couldn't sleep. He rose from his bed, and his once little Starly who was now a Staravia, roused itself. After seeing how easily the Weavile took out his Starly, Bran vowed to make his pokemon stronger. He started training in the woods next to his house, and he often walked there to clear his head. He was heading there now.

He changed out of his pajamas and into a t-shirt, jeans, and draped a thick cloak around his shoulders. Bran looked at himself in the mirror. He had grown since his encounter with The Hunters. His dark hair had grown longer, and was swept to one side, revealing his bright green eyes. Bran stared at himself for a moment, then turned and left his room. He crept down the stairs with Staravia quietly following. He pushed open the door, and stepped out into the cool night air. He turned left, and followed the old stone path that led to the woods, reflecting on the past.

After he was discharged from the hospital, Bran had moved back to the Sinnoh Region to reunite with his mother. His mother took the news surprisingly well, and she began working harder than ever in their bakery, which was tucked into a dark alley. Bran thought his mother's pastries were amazing, but rarely anyone came to the bakery. He decided to advertise, and the result was godly. Bran and his Starly advertised by bringing a tray of rolls or loaves of bread, and offered free tastes. The people of Eterna City loved it, and his mother's business boomed. Their life became easier, and the past seemed so long ago, but Bran could never forget or forgive The Hunters.

He walked into Eterna Forest, and was welcomed by...trees, branches, and more trees. He lay down on the soft grass, looking up past the branches and into the twinkling stars.

"Father," he whispered, "where are you?"

Bran closed his eyes and pictures his father in front of him, smiling.

"Are you still alive? Is it possible for me to find you?" he thought.

A rustle in the grass pulled him from his thoughts. He sat up, and looked around. A spark of light caught his attention, and he stared in the direction it had come from. An orange pokemon coated with a bluish light appeared from the darkness. Bran blinked, then realized it must be the Rotom from the Old Chateau.

"Its real..." he breathed.

"Roooootom!!" it cried. It sparked, and Staravia flew into the air, readying for battle.

Bran sensed that Rotom didn't actually want to hurt him. "Staravia, it's ok." The bird lowered itself, and cocked its head at the Ghost-Type Pokemon, studying it. Rotom floated closer to Bran, and, as if possessed, he touched its bolt-shaped arm. A surge of electricity pulsed through him, and he was pulled into a distant memory in Rotom's mind.

Bran was in the Old Chateau, and it was on fire. He looked around, and heard Rotom whimpering and saw it zipping around. An old man yelled, and Bran saw 5 hooded figures advance on the old man. The Hunters! He watched as they bound the man up, and took him away. Rotom tried to stop them, but a Weavile took it down with a slash emitting a dark aura. The memory started to fade as Rotom was about to faint. Bran tried to move and help, but the memory stopped before he could do anything.

Bran blinked and he was back in the forest. He pulled away from Rotom.

"How...how do I stop them?"

Rotom touched Bran's chest with his arm.

"With my heart...?" Bran asked absentmindedly.

He took out a Poke Ball from his belt, a birthday present from his mother. He placed it in from of Rotom, and waited. Rotom turned its blank eyes up to Bran, as if agreeing. It touched the Poke Ball, and disappeared in a bright red glow. Bran picked it up, stood, and walked back home without a word.

The next morning, Bran woke up early, and called out Rotom from its Poke Ball. It floated around the room, and seemed especially interesting in the T.V. Bran stretched and changed into his daily outfit; a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

"Well, Rotom, its time for you to meet my mother!" Bran said cheerfully.

"Star-avia!" Staravia called.

"Ro-tom!" came the reply from the Plasma Pokemon.

They were all about to go downstairs when a crash resonated through the house. Bran heard his mother scream.

"Mother!" he choked, and charged through his door, and saw his mother on the ground downstairs, surrounded by cinnamon rolls, with a Dusclops looming over her.

"Where is the boy?!" a deep voice asked.

Bran looked in the direction of the voice and saw a man with a hood. He couldn't miss the "H" stitched into it that always appeared in his nightmares.

Hatred burned inside of Bran and he hissed, "Staravia! Rotom! Show that man and his Pokemon what we can do."

Staravia, honed by 2 years in Eterna Forest, swept down, and with its wing glowing a bright white, struck the Dusclops full in the face. It flew through the air from the impact, and The Hunter dodged to one side to avoid being crushed. Rotom shot bolts of lightning at the man, but he dodged again, and the bolts struck the floorboards, creating a small explosion. When the dust settled, The Hunter had a Honchrow out, and the Dusclops was crawling to its feet.

"Hunh, I didn't expect the kid to have Pokemon and be able to battle," the man said, snickering. "You better be ready...boy!"

"I was always ready," Bran thought grimly, green eyes flashing with determination.

--END OF CHAPTER 2--
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 30th May 2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Well, I have see your request so far. But I can give you a piece of advice that you could do to make it better.

1. Whenever you have more than one setting on your chapter, insert a a horizontal line below the lat sentence of a scene. The "Insert horizontal line" button is next to the button with a letter x with a small 2 above the x.

think of it like this.

"Scene 1 (with all paragraphs and sentences of the setting done)"

"Insert horizontal line"

"Scene 2"

2. Make the text size 2.

You can refer to my stories (links are at my signature)

Overall: structure is actually very sturdy and good. Just fix a few more screws and it is done so far. From the way I see you start with the 1st chapter, I think the whole details of the event will be revealed later on.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 21st April 2013 at 5:37 PM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Ok Jireh, I edited the posts! Thanks for the tips :3

Now readers, I'm sorry that each chapter comes out a bit late, but I'm kinda busy with school and other activities, so expect A-Chapter-A-Week thing.

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 3
    The Choice

Bran stared intently at the Hunter, trying to see his face which was shrouded by his hood. The Hunter seemed to stare back for a while, then he shouted,

"Dusclops! Will-o-Wisp! Honchrow! Night Slash!"

Bran reacted quickly.

"Staravia! Use Agility! Rotom, use Teleport to get behind Honchrow!"

He had already known what Rotom could do before this battle, and Bran wanted to make the most out of the Plasma Pokemon's abilities.

Dusclops formed a small, blue flamed fireball between its palms, and thrust it at Staravia. The bird zigzagged and dodged at high speed, its muscles tensing to use another burst of agileness. Honchrow soared and cut a Rotom, black streaks trailing after its claws. Rotom disappeared in a small glow on red light before the dark blades touched it, and it appeared behind Honchrow.

Bran knew he had the advantage right now, and seized the opportunity.

"Staravia, Use Wing Attack! Rotom, Thundershock!"

Staravia's wings glowed a bright white once again, and sped toward Dusclops with its heightened speed thanks to Agility.

The Hunter yelled, "Dusclops, Protect yourself!"

The Ghost Type Pokemon raised its hands in front of itself and a pink aura outlined its fingers and palm. Staravia struck it with such force that Dusclops was unable to completely block the attack and skidded backwards, and Staravia was thrown back by the sudden energy that stopped its onslaught.

Rotom was faring much better, and zapped Honchrow with two yellow bolts of electricity, sending it crashing to the ground.

The two men were about to shout more commands, but a voice struck out like a whip.

"STOP IN THE NAME OF THE INTERNATIONAL POLICE!"

A man stepped out of the dust, between Bran and the Hunter. His hair was a dark gray, and he had a long, narrow face. He was wearing a brown trench revealing a tie, and his expression was dark.

THe man's eyes looked into Bran's, and then he saw the Hunter.

"You! he cried.

"Talk about loud," Bran thought, wincing.

The Hunter flinched, said something Bran couldn't hear, and sprinted for the door. THe officer drew out a Pokeball and a Croagunk appeared out of it.

"Croagunk, use Poison Jab!"

The Frog Pokemon charged toward the Hunter, fingers glowing with the deadly poison.

"Honchrow, Whirlwind!"

The dark type responded, flying up from the ground and sent huge gusts of wind and dust at Croagunk, sending it sprawling. The dust blinded Bran and he covered his face, coughing as he tried to breathe. When he was able to again, he opened his eyes.

He saw and heard the officer coughing, and heard his mother sobbing. Bran ran over, and asked, "Mother! Mother! Are you all right?" His mother looked up and nodded feebly.

"We could use people like you, you know," a voice said behind him.

Bran turned around, and saw the officer, Croagunk by his side.

"Me? What?" Bran asked, confused.

"I meant you should join us. Good battlers are hard to come by." the officer replied patiently.

Bran was stunned. Here he was, only 14-years old, and he was being asked to join the International Police, probably the most prestigious police force in the world.

The officer laughed abruptly, shaking Bran from his thoughts.

"This must be very shocking to you. I haven't even introduced myself. My name is Looker, and I'm an officer from the International Police."

Looker stuck out his hand.

"Nice to meet you. My name's Bran." Bran replied, shaking Looker's hand, still a bit dazed from the sudden proposal. He took a deep, shuddering breath.

"I...," he started, "I think I need some time to think about this. Um...can you come back tomorrow? I'll tell you then."

Looker nodded, head bobbing up and down.

"All right. Sorry if this is a bit overwhelming. We're justin need of good officers."

Bran nodded numbly, and Looker left.

The rest of the day was like a blur; cleaning up, re-baking all the ruined pastries, advertising, selling, eating, and finally, sleep.

Bran collapsed onto his bed after the final loaf of bread was put on the shelf for sale. He lay there, recalling the day's events. he had just been invited to get a job! And it was at the International Police! He wanted to join, badly, but what about his mother? She had almost lost him 2 years ago, and Bran didn't think she was going to risk it again. He was torn.

Then he thought about his father. FATHER! If he joined the International Police, there will be a very good chance of him being able to pursue the Hunters. And if he did that, he could be able to find his father, provided he wasn't already dead. Bran allowed his mind to come up with more thoughts for a while, then he made his decision.

"Father...I'm coming!" he whispered.

--END OF CHAPTER 3--
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Hey there! Great story so far but is there a PM list? If so id like to be added to it! Thanks.
    Heart Of Crystal!

My Current Challenges:

Megan's (My Sis) Challenges:

Pokemon Platinum Nuzlocke:

Ok, I'm going to create one and add you to it! Thanks for subscribing!
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

This chapter is going to be a bit longer than the others, but I hope you'll still like it!

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 4
    The International Police

The next morning, Ban got up without a fuss at precisely 9:00 A.M., 30 minutes before Looker agreed to meet him at his house. He got dressed, brushed his teeth, and went downstairs to eat a loaf of bread and some cereal. When it was 9:30, a knock came from the door. Bran's mother looked at him and nodded sadly. Bran had already told her his decision, and she agreed to it, making him swear to stay safe and call regularly.

Bran got up from his chair, and walked to the door. He took a deep breath, and pushed to door open.

Looker was standing outside in the same coat and tie, but his expression was more relaxed since Bran had last seen him. He smiled at Bran.

"May I come in?" he asked.

Bran nodded, and Looker stepped into the house. He nodded to Bran's mother and looked back at the young boy.

"Eh-" Looker started.

Bran cut him off.

"I want to join. Done." he said firmly.

Looker stared at him, blinked, then turned to look at Bran's mother. She was a lot more polite.

"And you are ok with this, ma'am?" Looker asked gently.

Bran's mother nodded stiffly, and choked out, "Keep him safe. Please. He's all I have to live for now."

Bran started tearing up. He wiped his nose, and felt his mother's arms wrap around him.

"Goodbye, Bran." she said.

"Goodbye, Mother," Bran sniffed.

They stood there for a few moments, locked in each other's embrace, until his mother broke away, and sobbed, "Don't forget to call, son."

Bran looked through the window of Looker's car as he drove him to apply for the International Police. Bran watched the buildings around the car disappear as they got closer and closer to the International Police HQ in Jubilife City. In a matter of hours, they were there, with a huge building looming over them. Bran got out of the car, and dragged his luggage out of the back trunk, with some difficulty. His mother had made him pack a lot of things.

Looker eyed him for a moment, then said,

"C'mon. We better get you signed up."

"OK."

Looker led Bran into the building, and it seemed like a hundred pairs of eyes were drawn toward them. There were many officers in the lobby, some chatting, some exchanging files, and some calling on their phones. All of them looked at Bran when he came in. Looker nodded to them, and spoke quietly to the woman at the reception desk. She, in turn, looked at Bran, then muttered something to Looker that he couldn't catch. Looker nodded, and said to Bran,

"You'll have to go through a test first, because they don't know your capabilities or anything."

That seemed reasonable.

"Fine," Bran replied, "when do I start?"

Looker shrugged.

"Now, I suppose."

The "test" was actually many different "tests" put together into one assessment. There were 3 parts: mental, physical, and skill. The mental part of the test was just a Q and A worksheet that you had to fill out with the correct answer. Bran thought that the questions were quite difficult, and wasn't sure if he did well. The physical test was a series of pull-ups, push-ups, swimming, climbing, etc. Bran excelled in these, as he had to do this in the forest to gather fruits, train Staravia, and overall, just to become stronger to fight the Hunters.

When he was finished with this section of the exam, he caught Looker's nod of approval out of the corner of his eye.

The last part of the test was "skill", which meant testing his battling skills. Bran had to battle a trainer with each of his Pokemon, and Staravia and Rotom performed beautifully, much to Bran's delight.

"Good job, you two!" he said, grinning, pating his two pokemon.

"Not bad," said Looker, walking in front of Bran. "I'll show you your room. Tomorrow you'll know if you passed or not."

Bran stood, storing Rotom and Staravia back to their Pokeballs.

"And if I don't pass?" Bran asked, even though he knew the answer.

Looker twisted his mouth and replied, "Lets not talk about that right now. Anyway, I'm sure you passed, judging from your performance. Now, to your room."

With that, Looker led Bran down a corridor, up a flight of stairs, and into another corridor filled with doors.

Looker stopped at room 213 and unlocked the door, ushering Bran in. It was a simple room, with a single bed, bathroom, and a desk with a lamp. Bran dropped his huge luggage bag beside his be, and collapsed onto the soft mattress.

He saw Looker stand before him, and he said,

"Tired, eh? Well, you better get used to it. There's going to be a lot of training once you apply. And, uh, start unpacking your things. You don't want to miss dinner."

After the lecture, Looker left, leaving Bran to attack his overstuffed luggage bag. Bran sighed and zipped it open.

When Bran placed the last object onto his desk(a laptop), a knock came from the door, and Bran saw Looker poke his head in.

"Dinner's ready, Bran."

Bran jumped up. He was starving.

"Lets go then!" he said enthusiastically.

Looker raised his eyebrows, and Bran followed him to the cafeteria. It was a buffet, and Bran was fine with that. He grabbed a bowl, filled it high with potato and chicken stew, and cut himself a loaf of bread.

He seated himself next to Looker who was eating ramen, and without a second glance, Bran indulged himself.

The stew tasted amazing to him, and he ate every bite he could. He mopped up the rest of the gravy with the loaf of bread, and sat back.

"The bread could've been a little bit softer on the inside, and a bit more flaky on the outside," thought the bakery part of his mind.

Bran completely agreed with himself, and was about to think of a way to make the bread tastier until he spotted a fruit tray. He reached over and took a slice of watermelon, savoring the sweet flavor. When he had finished, Looker stood up abruptly.

"I suggest you turn in for the night. Tomorrows going to be a tiring day."

Bran nodded. The food made him sleepy anyway. Bran walked up to his room by himself (he knew the route now) and opened the door that had the numbers 213 inscribed on it. He changed, took a shower, and climbed into bed.

--END OF CHAPTER 4--
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 5th May 2013 at 2:01 PM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Now that we have a possible international police, you may want to watch some Metal Gear Sold 3 playthroughs if you ever need ideas.

From my experience, doing a bit of research before writing your chapter draft will help you in the long run
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Now that we have a possible international police, you may want to watch some Metal Gear Sold 3 playthroughs if you ever need ideas.

From my experience, doing a bit of research before writing your chapter draft will help you in the long run
    Yes I do research lol xD about the International Police and it didnt give a HQ location, so I just went with Jubilife City. Anyways, another other nitpicks...?
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Well, I finally finished the 5th Chapter! There is also a two characters introduced here that you guys may know...

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 5:
    An Unexpected Ally

Bran awoke to a knock from the door of his room. He got out of bed, and yawned. Bran walked to the door and opened it, revealing Looker. Looker poked Bran's bare chest playfully, and said,

"Just woke up, I see."

Bran nodded, yawning again.

"Was there something you wanted to show me? Or something else...?" he asked, rubbing his eyes.

Looker nodded rapidly, a hint of a smile playing at the edge of his lips. He took his hands out from behind him, revealing a bright golden badge that brought a huge grin to Bran's face.

"Oh...oh my god."

"Welcome to the International Police, Officer Bran."

Bran plucked the badge from Looker's hand and held it close to his chest, feeling the cold metal press against his skin.

Looker cocked his head and said, amused,

"Go put some clothes on. Meet you down for breakfast."

Bran nodded, turned, and closed the door behind him as he walked to the closet in his room. He slipped on a checkered and collared t-shirt, sensing that a bit of formality was needed today. He pulled on a pair of jeans and walked out the door.

When he arrived at the cafeteria, he was attacked by a huge mob of officers, reception desk ladies, and...reporters?! Through the tight-packed group that was struggling to get a glimpse of Bran, a middle-aged man muscled his way through and held a microphone up to Bran's face.
    "What are your feelings after being named to youngest International Police officer ever to successfully apply?", the reporter asked breathlessly, the words coming out in quick bursts.

Bran blinked. What? The youngest International Police officer? He was not prepared for this, and didn't know what to say. A few more reporters yelled out questions, but Bran couldn't hear them due to shock from the sudden revelation. He thought he was about to have a panic attack, until Looker's voice cut through the air just like it had at the battle in Bran's house.

"STOP!"

The crowd hushed at the sudden outburst. Looker eyed them all cooly, and spoke in a more quiet but still firm tone.

"The poor boy just woke up. He's not ready for this. Please leave him alone and come back later."

The people in the crowd started muttering disagreement, but eventually they dispersed, the reporters leaving the building and the officers and reception ladies returning to their posts. Looker watched them leave, and turned back to Bran. Before he could get a word out though, Bran blurted out,

"Am I actually the youngest officer here?"

Looker sighed.

"I'm afraid so," he said.

Bran's jaw dropped.

"So...so...so I'm famous?!" he stuttered.

This time, Looker groaned.

"I..guess."

A silly grin spread across Bran's face, and he did a little dance, saying "I'm famous!" over and over again.

"This one's cocky," Looker thought grimly. That's not very good.

WHen his jig was over, Bran walked across the hall to and got two cinnamon rolls, handing one to Looker.

Surprised, Looker took the sweet pastry. That was the last thing hi thought Bran would do. Looker shook his head, smiling.

"You just keep surprising me, Bran," he thought.

The two sat and ate, Bran drinking a glass of milk to wash it down. The moment he put the glass down, a firm hand landed on his shoulder. Bran looked up and saw an unfamiliar face; it was a thin face topped with stunning blonde hear, which was parted to reveal a pair of green eyes, just like Bran's.

"Stand up, you two." the man said.

Bran glanced at Looker. He looked back, nodded, and stood up. Bran followed his example.

"Koya," Looker said, "is there anything wrong?"

Bran flinched slightly. This was Koya? The head of The International Police? Honestly, Bran expected him to be a bit taller.

Koya let out a short, cold chuckle.

"Something wrong? That hardly does the current issue justice. Come."

Koya turned around and walked briskly in the direction of the stairs. Looker and Bran followed wordlessly.

Koya was much younger than Looker, but he was a much higher rank; he was the leader after all. How did he achieve this? Well, he was a skilled battler, "one of legend", some might say, and his cold manner and brutal efficiency allowed him to quickly obtain intelligence when needed. Thus, he quickly climbed the ranks of the International Police. There was a rumor that Koya was driven by anger that had something to do with a Growlithe, or so Bran had heard.

The trio twisted and turned through the building as Koya led them to who-knows-where. Bran stopped trying to memorize the path after the 6th turn through a corridor. After what seemed like forever, the small group stopped in front a large metal door with a finger print scanner. Koya pressed his thumb into the gel, and the door slid open with a "hisssss", revealing a large, spacious room filled with computers.

Looker finally broke the silence.

"Um...what is it that you needed us to see or know, Koya?" he asked, curious.

Koya didn't answer immediately. He typed a code into one of the computers, and a picture of what seemed like a lab appeared on screen. Bran noted that it was unnaturally messy./

Before he or Looker could comment though, Koya said,

"Juniper's lab was plundered last night. The professor is also gone without a trace, suggesting a kidnapping. That isn't very good. Juniper's research, when put into the wrong hands, can be quite dangerous."

"The Hunters!"

The words were out of his mouth before Bran could stop them.

Koya eyed him coldly.

"We have no solid evidence that it actually is the Hunters, but nearby residents say they saw hooded figures run out of the building."

"So...I'm guessing you called us here to research this issue?" asked Looker.

Koya nodded.

"That...and something else. I feel that we have been quite unsuccessful lately in gaining intelligence about the Hunters. We don't know anything about their whereabouts, goals, etc. Maybe its time to...break a few rules."

He paused, looking at Looker and Bran. The two raised and their eyebrows and Koya continued.

"Maybe...we should get someone who is...intimidating. Someone who is heartless and will stop at nothing to reach their goal. Someone that doesn't care about the law."

That didn't sound very police-like.

"Do you have anyone particular in mind?" Bran asked.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. It's a gamble, but this person may be our best shot. She is quite skilled, you know."

Koya glanced at Looker. No reaction.

"She's probably one of the most dangerous bounty hunter that has ever existed."

Looker paled instantly.

"You can't be suggesting-"

Koya smiled.

"Oh yes, Officer Looker. Pokemon Hunter J."

--END OF CHAPTER 5--
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 19th May 2013 at 7:23 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Sorry for the delay guys!

Continuing off from Chapter 5....

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 5:
    Spy

THAT name rung a bell in Bran's head.

"Wait. Slow down. I thought J drowned when she tried to capture Uxie and Mesprite. That's what it said in the news," Bran said.

Koya looked at him, green eyes staring into green eyes.

"Never believe what the news says. We told the reporters false information so the public won't go crazy knowing that J was still alive."

Looker nodded agreement, and asked,

"Koya, how exactly do you plan to use J? I'm pretty sure she'll backstab us the moment she gets the chance."

Koya acknowledged this, and replied,

"That is true. But even she knows that the Hunters are up to something. Something big. And she also knows that the Hunters won't let her be part of it, so she should cooperate with us. As for her betraying us, I leave that to you, Looker."

Some color returned to Looker's face.

"So...the plan is, you're going to send J to gather intel about the Hunters, and I'm following to make sure the information is received and...help her out."

"Exactly."

"What about me?" Bran asked abruptly.

Koya sighed.

"You'll stay here, obviously. You still need to train."

"No, I'm going! I'm going to find my father!"

The words were out of his mouth before he could stop them.

Koya's jaw tightened. He was not used to being argued with.

"You are not going. For gods sake, you're only 14 with no experience in the field whatsoever! You. will. train. here."

Bran gritted his teeth, but before he could say anything else, Looker stepped in.

"Ok, Koya, when do I depart?"

"Day after tomorrow," Koya said curtly.

Looker nodded.

"Will that be all, Koya?"

"That will be all, Looker."

Looker turned and guided Bran out of the room, who was still fuming.

When they were out of earshot, Looker turned to Bran and said,

"I know how you're feeling right now, Bran, but Koya's right. You're not ready for such major investigations. Its not going to be safe for you. Stay here and train."

Bran stood there, and took in Looker's words. He didn't look up, because if he did, Looker would see the grim smile on his face.

"Fine."

That night in bed, Bran formulated a plan in his head. He needed to know where the plane was, and what time it was going to depart day after tomorrow. To find this information, Bran was sure he needed to go back to the same room in which Koya told them about J. However, Bran had no idea of the route, so he had to follow Looker in order to get to the room. That was not going to be very hard, Bran knew, because along each hallway, there were many doors set deeply into the wall, providing very sufficient cover. After knowing the information he needed, he'll work from there. Comforted by his plan, Bran fell asleep.

He woke up the next day early to check on Looker's room to see if he was awake or not. He put on his pitch-black uniform assigned to him, and snuck out into the quiet hallway. Bran turned a few corners until he saw the room labeled with the numbers 226. He crept forward with practiced silence and gently pressed his ear against the door.

He heard a continuous spray of water and a voice humming. Was that Looker showering? He strained his ear, trying to confirm through the tone of the humming. Suddenly, the sound of water disappeared, and Bran heard the same voice humming. Bran detached himself from the door. Definitely Looker. He stood up and straightened his uniform, knocking on the door. The door opened a bit, and Looker poked his head out, widening as he saw Bran.

"I came to wake YOU up this time," Bran said, smiling.

Looker raised his eyebrows, and replied,

"Well, I was already awake. But I'm glad you woke up early. Get some more training. I have a meeting with Koya right now."

"Wow. That was easy," Bran thought.

"Ok, I'll be right there." He turned and walked toward the stairs.

"Oh, and Bran..."

Bran turned.

"Get me a roll. I'll probably miss breakfast or something."

Bran nodded, and quickly walked to the stairwell and pressed himself against the wall so Looker couldn't see him. He needed to get started. Bran looked around to ind any cameras that may reveal his motives. After a quick scan, he found one on the roof of the stairwell that wasn't directly pointed at him. Perfect.

Bran fingered his PokeBall and whispered,

"C'mon out, Rotom."

The Plasma Pokemon materialized in the air, and was about to let out a happy cry until Bran held a finger to his lips.

"Rotom, I need your help. Get into that camera,' Bran pointed at the one on the roof, "and disable them all."

Rotom seemed to nod, and was abruptly sucked into the device.

Bran waited a few seconds for Rotom to work its magic, and then peeked around the corner. He was just in time to see Looker turn into another corridor. Bran jogged quietly after Looker, and constantly hid next to the deeply-set doors. Eventually, Bran saw Looker walk into the room; the room that Koya was in. Bran shuffled noiselessly against the wall until he could hear the conversation going on.

"I believe your'e packed and ready to go. Unova is quite an adventurous place."

That was Koya.

"Yes, I am. What time do I depart?"

"Tomorrow at 10:00 P.M. J will meet you on board. I have no doubt that she will cooperate, but keep a close eye on her anyway. We can't afford to let her go loose again."

"Yes, sir."

Bran smiled triumphantly. He'd done it! But now, he faced a whole new set of problems. How was he going to reveal his presence? And when? How was he going to get on the plane, and what was he going to bring on-boar-

Suddenly, Bran found himself looking at Lookers suit. He'd taken too much time gloating and thinking! Looker was about to look at him and there was nothing he could do. Bran was furious with himself until all the lights shut down, surrounding Bran in darkness.

Bran took a moment to realize what was going on, then sprinted down the corridor. He heard Looker and Koya shout in confusion, and he grinned.

"Rotom, you're amazing," he thought.

When Bran's eyes adjusted a bit more to the gloom, he approached the stairs and ran down quietly until he arrived at the cafeteria, where there was quite a commotion. Bran squeezed into a corner, and snapped his fingers. Rotom suddenly appeared in front of him, glowing a pale blue. Bran patted its head, whispering,

"Good job. Now restore all the lights, would 'ya?"

Rotom answered by sending a small bolt of electricity into a nearby electric socket. The lights flashed on, and Bran blinked a few times to clear the spots from his eyes. Rotom returned to its PokeBall, and Bran walked into the crowded cafeteria, picking up a roll. He smiled as he saw Looker.

"I have your roll!"

--END OF CHAPTER 6--
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 31st May 2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

So sorry for the bi-weekly publish. I've been quite busy with school trips, end-of-year tests, etc. From now on, the publishing should go on normally.

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 7:
    The Beginning of a New Journey

9:35 P.M.

Bran buttoned up his uniform. It was time. He slapped his PokeBalls onto his belt, and strapped on a pair of night-vision goggles to his head. He may need them on the plane. Bran had managed to sneak up a few burgers from the cafeteria, and he had stuffed them into a small backpack along with a water bottle in case he had to stay in the plane for a prolonged period of time.

Bran glanced at the digital clock beside his bed. It now read 9:40. He had to get to Looker's room by 9:45. He had asked when Looker was leaving so he could say "Goodbye" to him, but Looker told him to get to bed when he left at 9:45 , and Bran had eagerly jumped in to grab that opportunity.

He slipped his backpack onto his back, and looked around the room for one last time. He whispered a good-bye, and went out into the hallway.

"Rotom! Cameras!"

The Plasma Pokemon was sent out of his PokeBall and took a few moments to find a camera. Then, with a cry of triumph, it was seeming "sucked" into the camera overhead once again. Bran raced toward Looker's room, the time reading 9:43. He couldn't afford to lose track of Looker when he was this close. When he entered Looker's hallway, Bran slowed down to a fast walk. He approached Looker's door just as he did last time and pressed his ear against the smooth wooden surface, listening intently.

He heard some shuffling, and Looker muttering something. Bran tried to make out the words, but the muttering stopped abruptly, and footsteps rapidly approached the door. Bran's eyes widened, and slammed himself against the wall next to the door right before it swung open. It effectively covered him for the first few seconds, but once Looker closes the door, its all over. Bran spun rapidly to the right, pressing himself flat against the wall as much as he could. 2 meters away, there was a second door, and he dived for it. The protruding walls covered him, and Bran prayed that Looker didn't see him. He took several deep breaths to calm his beating heart before he dared to look back.

Looker was locking his room's door. Bran waited until Looker was finished and was turning a corner. He came out of his hiding place and trailed after Looker at a safe pace and distance. They weaved through the building (which now seemed like a impossible maze to Bran) until they arrived a large, spacious, and quite cold room. A large iron door loomed over them, and it seemed to be locked with some code. Bran couldn't make out the numbers that Looker punched in. He tried to make a run for the door when it opened to let Looker pass, but it closed right before he made through.

“Dammit!” Bran muttered as he slammed a fist onto the iron door.

He looked around for something, anything that could help him right now. He gritted his teeth and was considering smashing the keyboard until Bran saw the small crackle of electricity above him.
    “ROTOM!” he yelled suddenly.

The pokemon appeared and went over to Bran, cocking it’s head.

“Ro…tom?”

“Get inside that,” Bran pointed to the keyboard, “and open the door.”

“Ro…tommm!”

This time, Rotom seemed to transform into a spark and travel into the keyboard. It started smoking slightly, then the numbers “5737” appeared onto the little screen, and the heavy iron door slid open.

Bran called Rotom back into its PokeBall as he sprinted out into the cool night air. He pulled down his night-vision goggles and blinked several times as the world around him turned neon green. He scanned his surroundings until he spot Looker boarding his small plane. It was surrounding with guards armed with electric batons and their own Pokemon.

Bran swore. There was no way he was going past those guards without being discovered. With time, he could probably think of a way, but time was something he didn't have at the moment. Bran racked his brain for ideas, and realized that Staravia could get him on the plane. It was going to be very, very dangerous.

“Go, Staravia!”

Bran threw his PokeBall into the air and the bird pokemon appeared in a bolt of white light. It chirped quietly, and turned its beady eyes on Bran.

“Staravia, I need yo-“

A huge rumble cut Bran off. He whipped around to see the plane lifting off into the air. The guards scattered, and Bran had to shout to make Staravia hear.

“I NEED YOU TO FLY ME UP TO THE PLANE!”

The Pokemon’s eyes widened in shock.

“I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!” Bran yelled again.

Staravia hesitated, then flew into the air and grabbed Bran’s outstretched arm. It flapped furiously, and slowly, Bran felt himself rise into the air and move forward. The plane was turning around so Bran could see its rear. The cargo door was slowly retracting, and Bran realized he could make it through, but it was going to be close.

“Staravia!” he called. “Get me inside, quick!”

The Pokemon flapped its wings even harder, and Bran felt the wind slap at his face as they soared higher into the air. The engine of the plane roared and the sound filled his ears. He was almost directly above the cargo door.

“A bit closer, Staravia!’ he yelled.

Staravia tried to obey, but it just wasn't strong enough. Bran felt Staravia’s claws loosen on his arm, and he didn't even have time to widen his eyes as the bird Pokemon abruptly let go.

Time seemed to blur as Bran fell. The plane rushed past him, and Bran instinctively thrust out his right hand. He caught the edge of the cargo door and hung there, slowly being lifted up. Bran’s heart was pounding in his chest, and he looked around frantically. He was relieved to see Staravia fly up to him, cawing in alarm, eyes wide in horror. Bran brought up his left hand to the cargo door, and with all his strength, hoisted himself up. The wind stopped tugging at his clothes after Bran crawled into the cargo storage. Staravia followed and perched on a cargo box, obviously exhausted.
    Bran lay there, trying to compose himself after his near-death experience. He watched the cargo door slowly close shut, shrouding the storage area in complete darkness.

He’d done it.

--END OF CHAPTER 7--
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Yes, I know I’m extremely late, first of all. I’m sort of getting my feet wet as a reviewer again and I kind of just went through this past Sunday and picked a handful of stories at random that I could read and subscribe too. I’m mainly a writer (read something of mine if you ever get the chance. I’d start with Ellipsis because it’s 3 chapters and doesn’t require much catching up.) But partly for visibility, partly for fun, and partly because I’m operating at a creative deficit – taking in less art than I attempt to put out – I’ve decided to start reviewing again. Please forgive me in advance for the lack of polish – I haven’t done this in probably a good six months or so.

“The Hunters” is a very… succinct title that I like. Yes, I critique titles. It’s one of my quirks, but it’s not without reason. I feel like a title is a gate to a story. A good title, if we’re following this analogy, is like a magnificent gate built into pillars of marble with a cheerful-looking bellhop at the front waiting to greet you. It’s an inviting picture that will attract people. A title that’s bland or esoteric or too long, on the other hand, is like a picket fence – sometimes a busted, rickety-looking picket fence – with an ugly goblin or seedy-looking fellow leering at you and making you wonder if you want to go in at all.

Now, of course, there are exceptions to this rule – there are bad stories out there with some great-sounding titles, and there are some great reads whose titles aren’t all that interesting. But, especially in a fanfiction forum setting, it’s my opinion that a good title is a good part of the battle when you’re trying to attract new readers that don’t know a lot about you as an author. A lot of fanfics I’ve started to read, I’ve gone into just based on the title alone. Now, of course, I’ve also been disappointed once or twice, but that person did their job as far as getting me in the door went.

Now, onto the story itself. Your narrative is solid; I don’t see a lot of jumping all over the place. There’s constant forward motion, and there’s something to be said for that. But your chapters are also very, very short. They cut off at very good points, so the story doesn’t seem choppy… but if this is a fairly lengthy story, you’re looking at triple-digit chapters at this length, which can be intimidating for someone who happens upon the story a bit later than most. Also, it gives the impression that the plot’s coming down a bit too fast and that’s my one issue with it. It feels like you’re rushing – like you’ve got an ending in mind and you can’t wait to get there. Sometimes the fast pacing works – Chapter 6 and 7 for example – but sometimes the story’s pace necessitates that you camp out somewhere and build tension. Remember this as a writer because it’s helped me and people I know a lot: Don’t feel obligated to get somewhere by a certain point. Don’t impose deadlines on yourself for when the next chapter comes out. The only thing that you need to impose on yourself is the responsibility to make each chapter the best it can be. And if that takes a little bit of extra time, loyal readers who understand the writing process won’t be upset at you. In fact, they’ll probably thank you for it.

Now, the characters:

Bran (You haven’t been reading A Song of Ice and Fire, have you?) is an interesting enough protagonist to start out. You did a good job of putting his character traits and motivations out front very early. I can tell after seven chapters that Bran’s determined and extremely motivated to go after the Hunters, but that he’s also still very much a kid, and is in need of some experience and seasoning just like any fourteen-year-old kid would be. It’s a well-worn path for young protagonists, admittedly, but he doesn’t come off as unbelievable or trite.

Looker’s probably my least favorite so far – just because he seems too ‘normal’. I understand that Looker doesn’t get a whole lot of face time in the original storylines, which is good for fanfic writers because it gives us a tiny bit of leeway when interpreting his personality. But I always thought of Looker being a little bit more eccentric than he’s being portrayed here.

Koya seems like he’s got some skeletons in his closet. He also doesn’t seem like the type that lets little things like rules get in the way of the greater good – or at least in the way of getting the mission accomplished. That’s a very interesting base to work with, especially when you compare him with Bran, who we know most of the basics about. Koya as an authority figure is an enigma, and that’s something that’s very fascinating. When he dropped the name of Pokemon Hunter J at the end of Chapter 5 (my favorite moment of the fic so far, and I’ll be excited to see what you do with her character), I audibly said while reading – well, I can’t tell you what I audibly said because the forum censors would “bleep” it out.

All in all, it’s very, very good work for a first fic. I’ll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

- EM1

Dalton Gregg was a mostly-ordinary university student from the region once called Johto.
    Then a fateful encounter set him on a quest to change history.

Quote Originally Posted by EonMaster One View Post
    Yes, I know I’m extremely late, first of all. I’m sort of getting my feet wet as a reviewer again and I kind of just went through this past Sunday and picked a handful of stories at random that I could read and subscribe too. I’m mainly a writer (read something of mine if you ever get the chance. I’d start with Ellipsis because it’s 3 chapters and doesn’t require much catching up.) But partly for visibility, partly for fun, and partly because I’m operating at a creative deficit – taking in less art than I attempt to put out – I’ve decided to start reviewing again. Please forgive me in advance for the lack of polish – I haven’t done this in probably a good six months or so.

“The Hunters” is a very… succinct title that I like. Yes, I critique titles. It’s one of my quirks, but it’s not without reason. I feel like a title is a gate to a story. A good title, if we’re following this analogy, is like a magnificent gate built into pillars of marble with a cheerful-looking bellhop at the front waiting to greet you. It’s an inviting picture that will attract people. A title that’s bland or esoteric or too long, on the other hand, is like a picket fence – sometimes a busted, rickety-looking picket fence – with an ugly goblin or seedy-looking fellow leering at you and making you wonder if you want to go in at all.

Now, of course, there are exceptions to this rule – there are bad stories out there with some great-sounding titles, and there are some great reads whose titles aren’t all that interesting. But, especially in a fanfiction forum setting, it’s my opinion that a good title is a good part of the battle when you’re trying to attract new readers that don’t know a lot about you as an author. A lot of fanfics I’ve started to read, I’ve gone into just based on the title alone. Now, of course, I’ve also been disappointed once or twice, but that person did their job as far as getting me in the door went.

Now, onto the story itself. Your narrative is solid; I don’t see a lot of jumping all over the place. There’s constant forward motion, and there’s something to be said for that. But your chapters are also very, very short. They cut off at very good points, so the story doesn’t seem choppy… but if this is a fairly lengthy story, you’re looking at triple-digit chapters at this length, which can be intimidating for someone who happens upon the story a bit later than most. Also, it gives the impression that the plot’s coming down a bit too fast and that’s my one issue with it. It feels like you’re rushing – like you’ve got an ending in mind and you can’t wait to get there. Sometimes the fast pacing works – Chapter 6 and 7 for example – but sometimes the story’s pace necessitates that you camp out somewhere and build tension. Remember this as a writer because it’s helped me and people I know a lot: Don’t feel obligated to get somewhere by a certain point. Don’t impose deadlines on yourself for when the next chapter comes out. The only thing that you need to impose on yourself is the responsibility to make each chapter the best it can be. And if that takes a little bit of extra time, loyal readers who understand the writing process won’t be upset at you. In fact, they’ll probably thank you for it.

Now, the characters:

Bran (You haven’t been reading A Song of Ice and Fire, have you?) is an interesting enough protagonist to start out. You did a good job of putting his character traits and motivations out front very early. I can tell after seven chapters that Bran’s determined and extremely motivated to go after the Hunters, but that he’s also still very much a kid, and is in need of some experience and seasoning just like any fourteen-year-old kid would be. It’s a well-worn path for young protagonists, admittedly, but he doesn’t come off as unbelievable or trite.

Looker’s probably my least favorite so far – just because he seems too ‘normal’. I understand that Looker doesn’t get a whole lot of face time in the original storylines, which is good for fanfic writers because it gives us a tiny bit of leeway when interpreting his personality. But I always thought of Looker being a little bit more eccentric than he’s being portrayed here.

Koya seems like he’s got some skeletons in his closet. He also doesn’t seem like the type that lets little things like rules get in the way of the greater good – or at least in the way of getting the mission accomplished. That’s a very interesting base to work with, especially when you compare him with Bran, who we know most of the basics about. Koya as an authority figure is an enigma, and that’s something that’s very fascinating. When he dropped the name of Pokemon Hunter J at the end of Chapter 5 (my favorite moment of the fic so far, and I’ll be excited to see what you do with her character), I audibly said while reading – well, I can’t tell you what I audibly said because the forum censors would “bleep” it out.

All in all, it’s very, very good work for a first fic. I’ll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

- EM1
    Thank you so much for your time in reading my first work.
    Yes, I also realized that I'm rushing...I sort of find that inevitable for me, but I'll find a way to resist it >.<
    And I actually haven't thought about just how long my fanfic will turn out to be...I'll try to make my chapters longer.

Again, thanks for reading! I really appreciate it!
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Hey Justin! I finally found time to read your fan-fic. Let me say, I am glad I found time to read it! I wrote a fan-fic before,` and it failed so I am working on another one. I can truly say this story has so much potential! Only one little error: The chapters go from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 7. I am sorry for being so nitpicky. Other then that small little error, This story is great and I look forward to the nest chapter!
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

OMG so sorry guys for the MASSIVE delay. I admit, I kind of didn't know where to start after my last chapter, so I took some time thinking about it. I've also extended this chapter, and I hope you'll guys will like it!!!

Thank you EM1 and Will5iam for your rates!

May I present to you...
    The Hunters

Chapter 8:
    Pokemon Hunter J

Bran took of his pair of night vision goggles and placed it on the ground. He stretched, rubbing his eyes. His lips were cracked, and his tongue felt huge in his mouth. He found his backpack and took out his water bottle, drinking deeply. Bran slowly climbed to his feet and jumped a few times, trying to get the blood pumping through his body again. When he could feel his feet, he checked his watch and saw that it was 10 A.M. Bran could also feel the plane descending at this very moment. When it landed, he would break the news to Looker, but in the meantime, he needed to eat. Bran rubbed his hands together, mouth watering at the burgers in his pack. Now, chicken or beef?

“Sir!”

Looker ignored the vague sound coming to him. He was tired, oh, so tired.

“Sir!”

The voice came again, louder this time, and more insistent. Looker’s forehead creased in irritation and he rolled over.

“Sir! Wake up!”

Without opening his eyes, Looker snapped,

“What?”

“J is awake, sir,” the flight attendant replied.

Looker shot up from his retractable bed. Finally. Koya had told him that he shouldn’t wake J up to question her when she was already asleep. Apparently she has a bad temper and Koya wasn’t sure if the guards were able to protect Looker from her onslaught. But now, she was awake, and their operation could begin. Looker estimated that they had 45 minutes, maybe an hour of time to talk before the plane landed in Unova. He stood up, blinking black spots or of his eyes. Looker changed into a sharp brown suit and “almost” new jeans. He accepted a cup of café mocha from the attendant and approached J’s seat, which was still covered by deep blue curtains. Looker took a deep breath, and called out,

“J?”

There was a moments silence, then the curtains abruptly parted, revealing the legendary Pokemon Hunter J.

The woman was wearing her traditional one-sleeved dark purple suit with a high collar and sharp shoulders. Under that, she wore a red jumpsuit complete with red gloves and red high heels. A belt covered her waist and 3 PokeBalls were strapped onto it. Her hair fell just below the ears, and it was the color of a dull silver. But it was her eyes. Oh, her eyes. Looker had never seen the bounty hunter without her visor. Her eyes were a brilliant blue, and from this distance, Looker could swear that they were glowing. A smile crossed J’s face as she acknowledged Looker, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

“I have been told everything already. There is nothing you need to talk to me about. Why are you here?” She asked icily.

Looker swallowed, eyes immediately drifting to J’s left wrist, and was relieved to see that the small cannon wasn’t there. He had seen it in action himself, encasing Pokemon and humans in solid stone. Only the Pokemon move Hidden Power could reverse the effects.

J noticed the movement and brought up her left arm.

“Oh, don't worry,” she said mockingly, “Your henchmen decided it was too “dangerous” for me to have it. I can see, however, that it made quite an impression on some people.”

When Looker remained silent for quite some time, J twitched slightly.

“You came here to talk. So TALK!”

Her voice broke the silence like a baseball shattering glass.

Looker visibly winced, and nodded.

“Well….er…you see, um…, I have to ensure your cooperation to use…don't even think about trying to escape! And…uh…do you have a plan?”

J eyed him evenly for a moment, then burst out in laughter. There was no humor in the sound.

“Escape? Haha! For a officer of the International Police, you sure are dumb. You should if I tried to escape, you wouldn’t be able to spot me, so you shouldn’t be worrying about that. But, luckily for you, I’m smart enough to realize that these Hunters are a threat to everyone. Even me.”

She paused, then added,

“I don't like being threatened. Also a plan?! I have no idea what these people can do, what their motives are, or where their base is. How am I supposed to have a plan. I suggest we take this old-school. Charge in, get what we need, leave.”

Looker was about to mention that that was also a plan, but thought better of it. He composed himself, then replied,
    “It’s also very risky. As you said, we hardly know anything about them.”
    J smiled, revealing her perfect teeth. The expression terrified Looker.

“Sometimes, you have to run before you walk.”

With that, she stepped back, and drew the curtains. Looker shook his head. He could tell it was going to be very hard trying to talk some sense into the bounty hunter. He walked back to his seat and just sat down when the plane hit the ground.

Face mashed into the seat in front of him, Looker thought,

“Wow, I was completely off on the timing.”

Eventually, the plane stopped, and Looker was eager to get off. However, he still had to escort J and give her the equipment she would need for this mission. The bounty hunter took her time in getting of the craft, asking for a cup of coffee from the flight attendant and double-checking if she had everything. Finally, after checking at least 5 times, she decided that she had all her belongings, and nimbly stepped off the plane, a paper cup filled with cappuccino in her left hand.
    Looker trailed after her until they both stopped in front of the cargo door. Workers rushed over, unlocking it and stepping back as it slowly retracted.

Bran’s head snapped up as a dull humming filled the storage. He saw the cargo door slowly open in front of him, gradually allowing the morning sunlight to spill in front of him. He smiled grimly. Oh, Looker was not going to be happy. It seemed to take years for the door to completely slide open, but when it did, Bran was completely un-surprised by the scene in front of him.

A stunned and befuddled Looker stood in front of Bran, Pokemon Hunter J to the officer’s right. However, she looked relatively calm, and her raised eyebrow was the only action that showed she was confused, or maybe curious.

“Wha-Bran-Bran what are you doing here?!” Looker managed to choke out.

“Why, to find my father!” the boy replied in a cheerful voice.

“But-what-wh-how did you..?”

Bran waved his hand dismissively.

“Oh, I just had Staravia fly me up to the plane when it took off, and drop me inside the cargo storage.”

Seeing Looker’s bulging eyes, he grinned, and added,

“I nearly died, too.”

J’s face remained an impassive mask, but there was just the slightest sparkle in her eyes.

“Do. you. have. any. idea. how. dangerous. that. is?” Looker emphasized each word slowly and clearly. His face was very pale.

Bran shrugged, and replied coolly,

“Sometimes, you have to run before you walk.”

--END OF CHAPTER 8--
    Credit to Astral Shadow!