View Poll Results: Do Pokemon use Magic to use Special based attacks?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 44.00%
  • No

    14 56.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: How Do Pokemon Use Special Attacks?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default How Do Pokemon Use Special Attacks?

    The above question can be answered by simply using one word :- Magic.
    However, Science will not have it. To avoid confusion, this is what I mean by Magic and Science :-

    Magic: Magic is technically synonymous mystery, which means anything that we do not know about. In this logic, each person has a different amount of Magic in their lives, that is, the less the knowledge, the more the Magic. In this sense, it would mean that the knowledge of the whole human race is vastly outweighed by Magic.

    Science: *Which word is synonymous with Science? That is right, Technology. Now, many people think that Technology is just gadgets, robots, etc. However, that is not it. Technology includes all techniques. It even includes knowledge, so Science is technically anything that we know about. In this sense, it is the polar opposite of Magic.

    However, without any of the above, the world will not work. Can we do anything without knowing anything? No. All the same, if we know everything, the world will become dull, as there would be nothing else to learn. Though I love Magic, I would still like to change it a little for Science, through this question :-

    How Do Pokemon Use Special Attacks?

    By special attacks, I mean attacks like Energy Ball, Flamethrower, Water Pulse, etc. Some of these have Pokemon generating energy. The most solid proof for this fact is this :- In the Anime, Ash's Grotle accidentally swallowed its own Energy Ball. This gave it a huge energy boost. So, how does this prove anything? If Grotle had used its own energy to make the Energy Ball, it would not have received the energy boost by swallowing it, because it would have the same energy it would have had before using Energy Ball if it had used its own energy. By energy, I mean power. This means that it generated energy.

    So, how will you explain this scientifically?


    EDIT:

    All questions have to be answered from In Universe Perspective. Everything else is spam here.
    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 23rd April 2013 at 12:55 PM.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Donghae, South Korea
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Well, in the GAMES pokemon have PP, and it serves as the energy to attack.

    I remember reading a neat article maybe 10 years ago (OMG IM OLD) where char-family have some sort of biological things in their mouth that does a tiny spark to ignite their natural...gas?

    Water pokemon I can see just storing water (like a camel). Now, the AMOUNT of water is not important, but the force sent out. So hydro pump sounds very wet, but probably more pressure based.

    As for your grotle example, I think he transformed his latent energy into active energy. Imagine you have ingredients to bake a cake, do they taste good in part? No, they need to be combined. Grotle MAYBE just took latent energy, focused it, created the ball, then absorbed the byproduct of whatever energy he used.

    I can go on, but we would have to analyze every move XD

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    I'm pretty sure Pokémon are using a magical sort of energy power, so I voted yes by saying "magic".
    Most of their moves are out of the usual, that's a point. Look here how Oshawott is making a Hydro Pump. Water goes out of its fingers (or hands) while it's flashing in a blue color and creates a big cercle where water comes out of it. To me, this is a form of energy that only Pokémon can use to create their moves, and not only the special. Creating a Fire Punch, for example. The fire needs to be created before punching. A simple fist cannot do fire by its own, normally.
    Other moves, like Water Gun or Thunderbolt, for you, comes from their inner body ? I think you're actually wrong. The amount of energy that is unleashed by any move is too much for a simple Pokémon. Same goes for a move such as Razor Leaf. Look at the leaf on top of Leavanny. It's glowing and unleashing out of nowhere leaves, wich is actually impossible for it to do that by its own ressources, like a water type would do, by your logic, with the amount of water on its body. If Grotle is creating an Energy ball, in that case, I think magical powers are more shown for that type of move. We can confirmed that the bushes on top of it are helping it to create that ball, by a mysterious way. And for more physical and discrete moves such as Brick Break, I think the move is in need of that energy once again. Hitting with a normal fist wouldn't do fighting type damages. That glowing white light is helping Pignite (in that case) to hit with the type that Pignite was looking for.

    Maybe you'll find this crazy (well, I do), but energy that comes to the attacks could come out from another dimension. If you look at Sigilyph using Mirror Move, it seems like it is opening an entrance, a portal that unleashes Pikachu's Thunderbolt strike back.

    So to resume my point, I think Pokémon are able to use freely of a magical power. This power can be use whenever they want to create a move that need some and by the type the move is.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 21st April 2013 at 6:08 PM.
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.I. View Post
    Well, in the GAMES pokemon have PP, and it serves as the energy to attack.

    I remember reading a neat article maybe 10 years ago (OMG IM OLD) where char-family have some sort of biological things in their mouth that does a tiny spark to ignite their natural...gas?

    Water pokemon I can see just storing water (like a camel). Now, the AMOUNT of water is not important, but the force sent out. So hydro pump sounds very wet, but probably more pressure based.

    As for your grotle example, I think he transformed his latent energy into active energy. Imagine you have ingredients to bake a cake, do they taste good in part? No, they need to be combined. Grotle MAYBE just took latent energy, focused it, created the ball, then absorbed the byproduct of whatever energy he used.

    I can go on, but we would have to analyze every move XD
    However, how does energy exist in the form of Energy Ball, etc? How does the Pokemon focus the energy in that shape, especially without even touching it?

    This leads to the point that all Pokemon may have telekinetic powers in some form or the other, to defy laws of nature and performing miracles beyond belief. However, telekinetic powers are supernatural, too.


    Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    A simple fist cannot do fire by its own, normally.
    Friction can actually create heat.

    However, how does the Pokemon create so much friction...? Can Pokemon control their molecules, to rub them together to create friction at such a fast rate?
    Some Pokemon can control their molecules, as when using Acid Armor.
    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 21st April 2013 at 6:11 PM.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Okay then. I usually try to come up with scientific explanations for Pokemon moves so......

    Water moves- I think water Pokemon absorb the humidity around them and expel it in the form of moves like water gun, hydro-pump etc. It explains why water moves are more powerful in rain and less in harsh sunlight, as the humidity increases or decreases during these conditions.

    Psychic moves- psychic Pokemon amplify their brainwaves and use it to move things? I can't really think of a good explanation for this. Same for ghost. :/

    Electric- This is already explained in many pokedex entries. Most Electric Pokemon seem to generate static electricity using their fur, and then discharge it at the opponent.

    I'll think of more explanations later. As for the energy ball thing, I think the sphere would be the most stable shape for releasing energy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Okay then. I usually try to come up with scientific explanations for Pokemon moves so......

    Water moves- I think water Pokemon absorb the humidity around them and expel it in the form of moves like water gun, hydro-pump etc. It explains why water moves are more powerful in rain and less in harsh sunlight, as the humidity increases or decreases during these conditions.

    Psychic moves- psychic Pokemon amplify their brainwaves and use it to move things? I can't really think of a good explanation for this. Same for ghost. :/

    Electric- This is already explained in many pokedex entries. Most Electric Pokemon seem to generate static electricity using their fur, and then discharge it at the opponent.

    I'll think of more explanations later. As for the energy ball thing, I think the sphere would be the most stable shape for releasing energy.

    Water - If the Pokemon take in humidity, then Water Type Moves should be weaker in a Sandstorm, too.

    Psychic - As I said, telekinetic powers are supernatural. It is like a doppelganger, which are created due to a person's willpower. ( I read this somewhere )


    As you can see, I am supporting both Science and Magic. I am providing my counter views for everyone's theories. As such, I did not vote in the poll.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,165

    Default

    My headcanon explanation for this is way out of left field, but it makes sense to me. I like to think that the Pokémon universe is filled with a sort of omnipresent "energy" that Pokémon can absorb an convert into a raw element for the purpose of their attacks.


    So basically, it's spiral power (for anyone who's familiar with Gurren Lagann).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    302

    Default

    I agree with endolise, drawing chi, aura or whatever would work.
    Or maybe from the bacteria in the air.
    Hydro pump, it could also be extracting hydrogen and oxygen from nearby surrondings.
    Also every point here is logical.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

    This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

    I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    784

    Default

    No, it is not magic, it is energy. Energy can be stored and converted into other kind of energies. This is my theory about your thread and about your example of Grotle.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    I voted No, however I thought about it and concluded that, yes it would be classified as magic if your definition of magic is something unexplained by science. My main reasoning for this is Surf, Sunny Day, Frenzy Plant, etc. Thechniques in which the pokemon are not in contact with the move and would therefore have no way to control it outside of telekinesis, which is supernatural in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cirque du Dčcadence
    Posts
    2,855

    Default

    I voted Magic, they can create something out of thin air.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader


        Spoiler:- Credits:

    Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotomknight View Post
    I agree with endolise, drawing chi, aura or whatever would work.
    Or maybe from the bacteria in the air.
    Hydro pump, it could also be extracting hydrogen and oxygen from nearby surrondings.
    Also every point here is logical.
    If Hydro Pump were extracting hydrogen and oxygen from the air, it would have had been weaker in high up places like the top of Mt. Silver and Mt. Coronet.


    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    My headcanon explanation for this is way out of left field, but it makes sense to me. I like to think that the Pokémon universe is filled with a sort of omnipresent "energy" that Pokémon can absorb an convert into a raw element for the purpose of their attacks.


    So basically, it's spiral power (for anyone who's familiar with Gurren Lagann).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    No, it is not magic, it is energy. Energy can be stored and converted into other kind of energies. This is my theory about your thread and about your example of Grotle.

    So, how do they convert the energy? The human body cannot do this. Nor can any animals do so. I mean they can convert energy, but not to this degree. How will you explain this biologically?



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,126

    Default

    You can't explain this with our science because our science doesn't apply to Pokemon. Look at all the Pokemon that float or even just Psychic Pokemon. None of it can really be explained by science because it's a completely different universe.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lucario View Post
    You can't explain this with our science because our science doesn't apply to Pokemon. Look at all the Pokemon that float or even just Psychic Pokemon. None of it can really be explained by science because it's a completely different universe.
    That is exactly why I asked this question, so that we can come up with an explanation.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Pokemon is Pokemon. Where monsters are kept in balls, where people worship a space horse, and the anime goes even further with Ash having carried ridiculously heavy Pokémon on his head and back like Larvitar and Hippopotas. So imo it is not really easy to explain the attacks Pokémon use. We have seen at least through the anime and Pokédex entries that there ARE animals in the Pokémon world. And I guess Pokémon are differentiated from animals due to their possession of abilities like Pyrokinesis, etc. In short, Pokémon use magic, sort of, imo.

    I have claimed the Pigs!


    Anime Style Battling Squad Summary

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The City by the Bay
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Let's tackle the obvious ones first. Hydro Pump users take in moisture from the air. Psychic attacks do use a degree of magic, I guess. Now for the more complicated ones. A move like flamethrower is powered up in the sun. This leads me to believe that, much like solar beam, the fire types draw energy from the sun, in this case, heat energy. This energy is then converted into flames by the Pokemon's amazing biological system. This would also explain why in the rain, where there are clouds covering the sun, fire moves are much weaker.
    Last edited by Enjolras; 22nd April 2013 at 5:21 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

    Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dingo282 View Post
    Let's tackle the obvious ones first. Hydro Pump users take in moisture from the air. Psychic attacks do use a degree of magic, I guess. Now for the more complicated ones. A move like flamethrower is powered up in the sun. This leads me to believe that, much like solar beam, the fire types draw energy from the sun, in this case, heat energy. This energy is then converted into flames by the Pokemon's amazing biological system. This would also explain why in the rain, where there are clouds covering the sun, fire moves are much weaker.
    Hydro Pump - Then Hydro Pump should we weaker in a Sandstorm, too.

    Flamethrower - Then why is it not weaker at night?


    I am countering everyone's answers, since I want to find an answer that I cannot counter. That will be the real explanation. I will criticize the explanations until they become perfect.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blany View Post
    So, how do they convert the energy? The human body cannot do this. Nor can any animals do so. I mean they can convert energy, but not to this degree. How will you explain this biologically?
    Simple; they have natural biological receptors that can filter in the energy from the field. I assume that they would have developed these uniformly because the energy field may also function as a morphic field which transmits evolutionary traits across generations and dictates biology for all life forms.

    Additionally, I think that humans can use the energy as well, at least to a limited extent. We know that humans can use aura and that there are others with psychic abilities; those would be examples of humans tapping into the field.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Simple; they have natural biological receptors that can filter in the energy from the field. I assume that they would have developed these uniformly because the energy field may also function as a morphic field which transmits evolutionary traits across generations and dictates biology for all life forms.

    Additionally, I think that humans can use the energy as well, at least to a limited extent. We know that humans can use aura and that there are others with psychic abilities; those would be examples of humans tapping into the field.
    Theory Time: The humans in the Pokemon World may actually be special. I noticed that the Sinnoh Myths say that Pokemon and humans were once the same. There was nothing to differentiate the two. This suggests that they had a common ancestor and that the 'humans' are not really homo sapiens.

    As for Pokemon, you can see that 'Rock Wrecker' and some other moves come from a portal. I doubt that the energy could be so concentrated by the Pokemon's bodies that they are able to open portals. This is yet to be explained.

    Another thing that I noticed. The 'evolution' in Pokemon is more like metamorphosis. I mean, evolution takes millions of years and I doubt that it could be sped up so much. It is understandable that mild changes come with maturity, but some Pokemon change dramatically, like Eevee.

    Along with that, how do Ditto and Mew change their entire cellular structure to use Transform? This might also count for Smeargle, who can also learn it using Sketch.
    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 22nd April 2013 at 7:07 PM.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the mirror world
    Posts
    413

    Default

    You're applying our world's science to the Pokemon world. It's like saying a Ferrari is as red as an apple, so you should be able to eat the Ferrari.

    ~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.


    the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia


    banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

    PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly.Braviary View Post
    You're applying our world's science to the Pokemon world. It's like saying a Ferrari is as red as an apple, so you should be able to eat the Ferrari.

    ~Deadly
    But apples are not always red...

    That is the whole point of this thread. To apply our Science to Pokemon. Science is actually universal. Different Science does not exist.
    Last edited by Mew The Gato; 22nd April 2013 at 7:31 PM.



    I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the mirror world
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Ok, my analogy wasn't perfect. But you are wrong. Science is only this way because we believe it is. A thousand years ago it was considered a scientific fact that the sun revolved around the earth. To quote this article - "questions that deal with supernatural explanations are, by definition, beyond the realm of nature — and hence, also beyond the realm of what can be studied by science." Magic is supernatural because it is not explainable by science.

    ~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.


    the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia


    banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

    PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blany View Post
    As for Pokemon, you can see that 'Rock Wrecker' and some other moves come from a portal. I doubt that the energy could be so concentrated by the Pokemon's bodies that they are able to open portals. This is yet to be explained.
    Does it? I've never associated Rock Wrecker with portals. I just thought that the Pokémon in question conjured up a boulder like how a Chikorita would conjure up a flurry of leaves when it uses Razor Leaf.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blany View Post
    Another thing that I noticed. The 'evolution' in Pokemon is more like metamorphosis. I mean, evolution takes millions of years and I doubt that it could be sped up so much. It is understandable that mild changes come with maturity, but some Pokemon change dramatically, like Eevee.
    Yes, I think it's important that we distinguish between Pokémon evolution (which would be more aptly titled "metamorphosis") and regular evolution, which is the survival of the fittest-style passing on of beneficial traits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blany View Post
    Along with that, how do Ditto and Mew change their entire cellular structure to use Transform? This might also count for Smeargle, who can also learn it using Sketch.
    It's just something they're able to do, like how almost all Pokémon can and can't use certain moves.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blany View Post
    So, how do they convert the energy? The human body cannot do this. Nor can any animals do so. I mean they can convert energy, but not to this degree. How will you explain this biologically?
    First, human and animals can convert energy. We convert food into heat, for example, it's a kind of a convertion.

    Second, you can't compare humans and animals with Pokemons. That's the basic difference between 'em and us, they can create/convert energy into things that we cannot.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    City of Ruin
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    What you call 'magic' is 'science' you can't yet comprehend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •