Thread: Why didn't most of the Generations I-IV Pokémon return in PMD: Gatest to Infinity?

Question Why didn't most of the Generations I-IV Pokémon return in PMD: Gatest to Infinity?

Okay. So, 33 out of 493 Pokémon of all previous generations return in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. 31 one of these are recruitable allies, and the last 2 of these are unrecruitable NPC boss opponents. But sadly, 460 out of 493 Pokémon did not return in, but are excluded from the game. So, I'm just wondering why the game creators have excluded 460 out of 493 Pokémon of all previous generations from the game?

Probably because of the wiiware games. They were very bad, yet they had all of the pokemon, so it was overcrowded considering the game's short length. Therefore they probably cut them out as ANOTHER Generation would have caused more problems. Plus other spinoffs like snap don't have them all, so that could be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    Probably because of the wiiware games. They were very bad, yet they had all of the pokemon, so it was overcrowded considering the game's short length. Therefore they probably cut them out as ANOTHER Generation would have caused more problems. Plus other spinoffs like snap don't have them all, so that could be a reason.
    But Sky had everyone but Arceus so this makes no sense

When I see how much effort they put into the Pokemon that did make it into Gates to Infinity, it honestly makes me have a hard time imagining that they'll ever have a 3D one that includes all of the Pokemon, especially now that the sixth gen is on its way with presumably another 100+ Pokemon.

I don't think they'd be able to include them all without making sacrifices in terms of the quality of the animation and graphics, due to both space and time constraints. Thanks to their company merger, Chunsoft has a lot more on their table to deal with then they did before.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    But Sky had everyone but Arceus so this makes no sense
    That game was a lot longer dungeon wise and a lot of them had their own personalities in the story. In the wiiware it was criminally short from what I hear, and the characters that were in the story didn't have much of anything to them. So you got about 460 pokemon who don't do much in the game.

PMD GTI has a lot more story and personality, focusing on characters more than ever. It's longer than RRT and EOS in story, but overall it's shorter due to the post story, which is probably why they didn't put them all in as having 649 pokemon (about 100 of which actually having their own personality to them) would make it too overcrowded, especially considering how comments on the main game series' trailer on youtube complain about it already

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    When I see how much effort they put into the Pokemon that did make it into Gates to Infinity, it honestly makes me have a hard time imagining that they'll ever have a 3D one that includes all of the Pokemon, especially now that the sixth gen is on its way with presumably another 100+ Pokemon.

I don't think they'd be able to include them all without making sacrifices in terms of the quality of the animation and graphics, due to both space and time constraints. Thanks to their company merger, Chunsoft has a lot more on their table to deal with then they did before.

That merger made me worry about there never being a new PMD. But good thing I was proven wrong, this is the best game I've played.

Speaking of mergers... Chunsoft needs to merge with Falcom and make a pokemon mystery dungeon game with falcom doing the music. That would be epic
    Last edited by hawkmbl; 21st April 2013 at 6:01 PM.

I would guess its got to do with the fact that they were focusing on other things in the game. While the way they managed to handle big bosses gives me second thoughts about a game where recruiting everyone is possible, I still think that future PMDs should cover as much of the remaining ground as they can. There's plenty of favorites out there that other people would want to play as, even if it's eventual.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    Speaking of mergers... Chunsoft needs to merge with Falcom and make a pokemon mystery dungeon game with falcom doing the music. That would be epic
    On this topic, yes it would. Aside from that, I want to see what would happen if they brought the writer of 999 on board for the next game (who already works in the same company).

If we go by the argument of size issues, it's a concerning issue indeed. Gates had significantly less dungeons than the previous games, the dungeons they did have were shorter, and yet it still had only a fraction of the Pokemon. If "not enough data space" was really the reasoning, then it bodes poorly for every franchise making its way to the 3DS, X and Y included.

I agree with the theory of time constraints. After Gen VI was announced, Creatures realized that, if they took the time to make a game as big as Sky and still have Gates' improved graphics, then by the time it came out there would be little to no time for the new fifth gen game to have any time in the spotlight before it was forgotten in the wake of Gen VI. As a result, the game was likely rushed out the door, which is why Gates is such a small game compared to Sky overall.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

I guess space shouldn't ever be an issue, seeing as some 3DS games have already exceeded 3 GB in size, which could easily accommodate all 700+ Pokemon in quality 3D.

It's just a question of whether they're willing to take the time to actually do so, since including all of the Pokemon wouldn't necessarily get the game significantly better sales, seeing as PMD is something of a niche series to begin with. I'd like to hope that if they're taking such an ambitious step with the main sixth gen games by having all the Pokemon in 3D, though, that the spin-offs would be willing try the same.
    Last edited by Rakurai; 24th April 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    If we go by the argument of size issues, it's a concerning issue indeed. Gates had significantly less dungeons than the previous games, the dungeons they did have were shorter, and yet it still had only a fraction of the Pokemon. If "not enough data space" was really the reasoning, then it bodes poorly for every franchise making its way to the 3DS, X and Y included.

I agree with the theory of time constraints. After Gen VI was announced, Creatures realized that, if they took the time to make a game as big as Sky and still have Gates' improved graphics, then by the time it came out there would be little to no time for the new fifth gen game to have any time in the spotlight before it was forgotten in the wake of Gen VI. As a result, the game was likely rushed out the door, which is why Gates is such a small game compared to Sky overall.
    Your educated guess seriously points out on what I'm saying (the bolded ones especially). If Pokemon X and Y just come out by the likes of March to April 2014 worldwide instead of the said October 23 2013, then Chunsoft has a chance to implement all the pokemon in Gates to Infinity and most to all of the previous game mechanics of the Rescue Team Saga, and the game difficulty and mechanics of the Explorrs Saga.

If the 3D graphics of 700+ pokemon is not enough to make it difficult to accomplish with the time constraints, think of returning the mechanics (the hunger mechanic "in every dungeon" issue, the IQ skills issue, making the basic attack do decent amount of damage as the pokemon level up, etc.) and making the AI even more difficult. Would it be possible to return all of those with the time clock of October 23, 2013?

I'd say that is just impossible to achieve. If X and Y "were planned to be released somewhere in 2014", then it is possible.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Your educated guess seriously points out on what I'm saying (the bolded ones especially). If Pokemon X and Y just come out by the likes of March to April 2014 worldwide instead of the said October 23 2013, then Chunsoft has a chance to implement all the pokemon in Gates to Infinity and most to all of the previous game mechanics of the Rescue Team Saga, and the game difficulty and mechanics of the Explorrs Saga.

If the 3D graphics of 700+ pokemon is not enough to make it difficult to accomplish with the time constraints, think of returning the mechanics (the hunger mechanic "in every dungeon" issue, the IQ skills issue, making the basic attack do decent amount of damage as the pokemon level up, etc.) and making the AI even more difficult. Would it be possible to return all of those with the time clock of October 23, 2013?

I'd say that is just impossible to achieve. If X and Y "were planned to be released somewhere in 2014", then it is possible.
    I agree with every1 here..........but I think in my point of view................a curd load of factors & possibilities can be behind the resulting game PMD Gates to Infinity. 1st off I can see a better

pmd game coming to us in the future. 2nd I can agree this PMD was rushed out Nintendo's door............but that tactic is more infamous with groups like LJN & EA. I think this PMD is a mix of

good & bad for various reasons & many will have various views on it. But I can see something awesome coming out for the PMD game series in the future if the creation of such game is

done just right. This PMD is a mix bag & nothing more.

Maybe next PMD game all of the Pokemon will be playable.
    I still don't know why Zekrom and the other battleable legends aren't recruitable.