Thread: New Emerald Team

Default New Emerald Team

I recently decided to replay Emerald and have been trying to form a new team, composed mostly of Pokemon that I haven't used before, or at least haven't used in a long time. Here's what I've got so far. I won't be using egg moves or post-E4 tutor moves. Also, if a TM is only available once in-game, I will only be using it once, so if a certain TM is more suited to one team member than another, please tell me.

Blaziken
    -Blaze-
    - Flamethrower
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Return
    - Bulk Up

Gardevoir
    -Synchronize-
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hypnosis
    - Calm Mind

Ludicolo
    -Rain Dish-
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Return/Fake Out
    - Giga Drain

Aggron
    -Rock Head-
    - Iron Tail
    - Double-edge
    - Rock Tomb
    - Earthquake

Weezing
    -Levitate-
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    - Thunder/Thunderbolt
    - Toxic

Dodrio
    -Early Bird-
    - Drill Peck
    - Tri Attack
    - Steel Wing
    - Pursuit/Fly

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 20th April 2013 at 5:16 PM.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

The team looks decent enough coverage wise, so onto the movesets (and natures).

Blaziken
    Hasty / Naive
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Sky Uppercut
    ~ Return
    ~ Bulk Up

This is the set I like to use in-game. Rock Tomb is kinda useless. Low power and accuracy. You're better off letting Aggron have a Rock move and switching to him when needed.
    Flamethrower and Return are TMs you can get more than once. Sky Uppercut is aquired by leveling. Hasty and Naive both boost Speed, at the expense of (Special) Defence.

For Gardevoir, I'd run a Timid nature and Calm Mind on the last slot. I find Dream Eater to be gimmicky, and Calm Mind allows you to hit hard after some boosts.

As for Ludicolo. I agree with Surf and Ice Beam. Giga Drain also is a somewhat solid STAB, though I'd personally keep Mega Drain until after I had cloned the Giga Drain TM.
    Return is a good filler, though you could consider Fake Out or Leech Seed (requires breeding). If you use Return, run Mild / Rash / Naive / Hasty. First two boost Special Attack, last two Speed. If you don't use return, you can run Modest / Timid. The first boosts Special Attack, the latter Speed.

Aggron makes better use of Rock Tomb than Blaziken, so if you want a Rock move, teach Aggron that move. Even though I know you won't use post E4 stuff, I'm still advising you to replace Rock Tomb with Rock Slide after the League. Adamant nature would be great.

I'm not a big fan of the high power, low accuracy moves, so I'd run Flamethrower > Fire Blast and Thunderbolt > Thunder. But that's just me. As for the nature... I don't really know, it depends on what you want to do. I'd run Quiet, to boost Special Attack, but you could also run Brave (+Atk) / Relaxed (+Def) / Sassy (+SDef). All of the lower Speed.

Steel Wing gives more coverage than Pursuit, and runs off the Attack stat, whereas Pursuit is a special move. Nature would be Jolly or Adamant, depending on whether you care more about Speed or Attack.

Just an additional tip, you can also get Giga Drain on Ludicolo without using up a TM by breeding with Shroomish or Sunkern. Some other pokémon also learn it naturally, like Treecko, Paras, and Roselia, but they're not available in Emerald if you choose Torchick. Shroomish also gets Leech Seed naturally, so you can get both moves from the same breeding chain.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. I've taken a lot of them into consideration. I probably still won't be using the egg moves on Ludicolo, as I've already got a Lotad that I'm using and I really don't mind about using the Giga Drain TM on it, considering I don't have anyone else who could learn it. I do love Leech Seed, but I'm alright with keeping Ludicolo a strict attacker.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!