Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ain't nobody got time fo dat (National Pokedex)

Default Ain't nobody got time fo dat (National Pokedex)

Does anyone else not care about completing their Pokedex in the fifth generation of games? We've seen all the Pokemon in all of our different games, and while if we wanted to, we could trade them up to get closer to the 649 National Dex, but really, how long would that take just so that our work would be undermined by the next generation of games?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't try to meet and catch every Pokemon, because that would involve a whole lot of Poketransfer, trading for clones, and especially for those with OCD like me, make us obsessive over catching 'em all.

What's your opinion on the subject of the time it takes to complete the National Dex, and if it's worth it or not?
    Winner of the June shiny competition, with 15 points! (three 1/8192 shinies)

Latest shiny! (Friend Safari)

Spoiler:- Shinies:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

I share your opinion, except that I've had those thoughts since the 2nd generation. Back in Gen I I didn't complete the dex despite having a few friends playing the game, since none of us have the link cable, and I managed to get every Poke possible within a single game. By the time Gen II arrived I no longer see a purpose in collecting all of them. They take up space, I don't like/use all of them, and with more gens appearing in later years there's simply no point in carrying out the repetitive task.

Not to mention that I have the tendency to reset games, and with every game you're a 'new' player, so the game does not consider you to be the original owner of all those Pokemon that you've traded over. Unless there's some sort of universal ID, along with an online, cloud storage system for Pokemon, I don't see myself "catch 'em all" anytime soon.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 21st April 2013 at 9:52 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I completed my Pokedex in both Black and White, and I will do it in Black 2 and White 2 as well. It didn't really take that long to do thanks to Poketransfer and the highly improved Experience system in the games. I could complete it rather quickly compared to previous generations, even if there are more Pokemon to collect. It only took me a few months for both Black and White, not long at all. Though it could have been done much faster if I had been more focused on it.
    As for being worth it, I'd say yes, definitely. The rewards you get might not be all that special (though a Trainer Card upgrade is really awesome in my opinion), but I find it really fun to complete the Pokedex, it might take some time but it gives you something to do for a while. I also think the 5th gen Pokedex is one of the easiest to compete thanks to the heavily improved Experience system and excellent training possibilities. This becomes extra apparent when compared to trying to complete the Pokedex in HG/SS, which I gave up on due to the almost non-existent training possibilities in these games as that made it an extremely frustrating task.

When you say the improved Experience system, what do you mean?

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

I completed it in Platinum once, never doing it again.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost Mage View Post
    When you say the improved Experience system, what do you mean?
    In the past, a defeated opponent Pokemon gives a fixed amount of EXP, but from Gen V onwards the amount is dependent on the level gap between the two Pokemon as well. The more over-leveled your Pokemon is compared to the opponent, the lesser EXP you get, and vice-versa.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I have yet to complete the national dex.

It's just ridiculously time consuming. And worthless.

I have never cared about completing the Pokedex in any game ever.

I competed the National Dex in Platinum and White. I can't bring myself to do it more than once a generation, since it's already very pointless. Having to record data on 649 Pokémon is verging on the ridiculous; I dread to think what this number will be following the next two or three generations.

It took me less than two weeks to complete my pokedex in white 2. I started with the in game Unova dex, then the habitat list, and then divided up the dex into regions and completed those. I found satisfaction in it, since I never completed one legitimately.

3ds FC - 3411-0939-9232
    IGN: Serana (X) | Arya (AS)
    6th gen shiny count: 40

Current Hunts:
    Suicune (AS) - 450 SRs

Most recent shiny:
    Lugia after 2,078 SRs!

Live Shiny Lugia! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    In the past, a defeated opponent Pokemon gives a fixed amount of EXP, but from Gen V onwards the amount is dependent on the level gap between the two Pokemon as well. The more over-leveled your Pokemon is compared to the opponent, the lesser EXP you get, and vice-versa.
    Ah, that's cool.

-Elite Four Karen

If I can't see every Pokémon of the regional dex by trainers or by an easy way, than I don't complete it.
    So that's why only Diamond's regional Pokédex has been complete.
    I don't see why I should complete it.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

It really doesn't take that long to transfer. I did it, and yes, it is definitely worth the boasting that you have a completed dex.

The most time consuming part is hatching and evolving lower evolutions that you don't have. So now on my White version I have at least one of every Pokemon, meaning I mostly won't have the trouble on further games.

I never completed a National Dex. I have completed Kanto Dex once in FR, and it was very demanding.

I've done it three times, in Sapphire, Diamond and Black. It is very time-consuming, but I enjoy the challenge, and I find it rewarding to say that I've captured one of every single Pokemon (which was one of the original goals of the game, after all). Of course, I make the whole process much easier by always getting both versions and trading with myself. That's what being obsessive-compulsive about these things will do to you. ; )

Anyway, yeah, I can see why many people consider the whole thing pointless, but it's become a tradition of mine and I fully intend to complete the dex again once X and Y come out. I do wonder how many more generations it'll be before the dex becomes too massive for its own good, though.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

I've never completed or even attempted the National Dex because of how much poketransfer and trading and training needed (obtaining Legendaries that are not available in game is such a pain). Regional dex's are cool and seem like a worthwhile challenge to me, but getting and training all those pokes just doesn't seem that appealing for me, if there was a better reward or something cool ingame you receive then I might think about.

649+ in X and Y sounds ridiculous.
    3DS: 2509-2137-6109 Feel free to PM your FC for Friend Safari
    Friend Safari Type: Ghost Pokemon: Pumpkaboo and Lampent (unknown third).
    Pokedex: 719/719

I'll try to complete it when I have nothing else I wanna do in the game.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

i only completed my dex in crystal only because you could print out a completion sticker with your gameboy printer and me being the 13 year old i was was all over that. my white 2 dex is 593/649 atm about 391 hours but most of it is from my diamond.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

It's not too bad to me personally, considering my resources. I've already got at most 4/5ths of the 5th gen dex done, but that's mainly because I'm the kind of guy who actually wants to have a-lot of Pokemon around :B

I've gathered them all up from basic runs through my previous games, so it's been a casual, gradual process rather than tedious for me.

RADIANT BLAZE ~

What I try to do is just go around the region and catch whatever I happen to see, I don't go out of my way for anything unless it's a Legendary or something I want for my team.

I like to complete the pokedex. On my White version I have a living pokedex I have one of every species from Bulbasaur to Meloetta. I had done the same thing on my Platinum. It wasn't that hard to do

FC: 2406-6166-3485 IGN: Emerald

It's a bit of a habit of mine to want to see all the Pokémon, so while it is tedious, I don't mind it too much. (Gives me more hours on my White anyway.) I can understand the frustration everyone has about completing the National Dex, though, especially when it comes to the Event Pokémon. Because who really has time for those?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I completed the National Dex in Pearl, took a break for SS, completely forgot to play BW, but did finish W2 and completed my pokedex- I currently have all the pokemon and all their evolutions. I do however, stop at collecting all the seasonal forms and all the Unowns. I enjoy it
    My current shinies!

Gifts:
    Event:
    Random:
    Trade:
    MM:
    X/Y FS: Chain Fishing:

FC for X: 2809-7726-5588
    Type: Poison- Cascoon, Garbador and Drapion

I do exactly this. I've finally finished transferring all my Diamond Pokemon (I completed the National Dex in Diamond) to White 2, and I'm just in the process of getting the Gen V ones. When I'm done, I'll have every single Pokemon (and their evolutions) in order of Dex number, in the PC box. Yes it's tedious, but if you have OCD like me, it's worth it!

(Oh and Laurelai, I have all the Unowns, but I can't be bothered to get the seasonal formes too. I'll probably just see them so they're in the Pokedex- What with N's Pokemon filling up my spare box, I don't think I'll have room for them!)
    I play games but mainly Sonic, Zelda or Pokémon...

I have successfully captured 491 legal Pokémon in Diamond and am working on Gen V

Lv. 100 Team I have almost finished raising...:

My deviantART: http://supersonicconzor.deviantart.com/

I'm going to try, purely to get the Shiny Charm and start shiny hunting. In Ruby I had collected every single Pokemon besides Kangaskhan who I could not find ever in the safari zone of my Leaf Green. Other than that I've never tried / came close to completing a national dex.

GodDamnZilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast