Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta catch em all

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Receiving a diploma is nice, but in the context of this discussion, that isn't what is meant by a complete dex. People don't say "I completed the dex" if the only one they're missing is Mew. They say "I still have to get Mew." And in terms of events, event Pokemon are far easier to come by now just due to the standard advancement in technology. Even in-store events take a matter of minutes to attend and get a Pokemon compared to the hassle of Gen I events, with long lines due to everything having to be a link trade.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Receiving a diploma is nice, but in the context of this discussion, that isn't what is meant by a complete dex.
    The thread is about whether or not GameFreak and Nintendo should return to advertising with the slogan "gotta catch 'em all," which implies that it's GameFreak that's giving the player the goal of capturing every Pokemon, not the player or the player's friends or people the player meets on the Internet who called the player a scrub because the player didn't catch all the Pokemon. If getting 150 and stopping at Mew is good enough for GameFreak even when "gotta catch 'em all" is the slogan, that's fine for anyone who does that.

Do players who have 150 Pokemon say "yeah, I have 150, but I don't have Mew?" Of course. Those players are likely aware, though, that obtaining a Mew is not necessary to receive a Diploma/get a star on their Trainer Card in terms of Pokedex completion, and want one simply because the challenge they set for themselves involved catching 151, Mew included.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    The thread is about whether or not GameFreak and Nintendo should return to advertising with the slogan "gotta catch 'em all," which implies that it's GameFreak that's giving the player the goal of capturing every Pokemon, not the player or the player's friends or people the player meets on the Internet who called the player a scrub because the player didn't catch all the Pokemon. If getting 150 and stopping at Mew is good enough for GameFreak even when "gotta catch 'em all" is the slogan, that's fine for anyone who does that.

Do players who have 150 Pokemon say "yeah, I have 150, but I don't have Mew?" Of course. Those players are likely aware, though, that obtaining a Mew is not necessary to receive a Diploma/get a star on their Trainer Card in terms of Pokedex completion, and want one simply because the challenge they set for themselves involved catching 151, Mew included.
    Again, that is very nice that within the game, the dex completion doesn't require certain event Pokemon. I am well aware of that, but thanks for making it super-duper clear.

But within the fandom and within the context of this discussion (which isn't just about the slogan but about how important dex completion is in general), its obvious most fans think of dex completion as a complete dex, not excluding events.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12