Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Pokemon Species

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Exclamation Pokemon Species

    Does anyone else in here also think that some name of Pokemon species should be altered? Some examples below:

    Example 1 - Infernape and Flareon
    Pokemons that are different should have different species name. How can two different Pokemons be classified which the same species name? This happens with Infernape and Flareon, which are known as Flame Pokemons, but there are a lot of other Pokemons that share the same species name and are very different from each other. A good way to fix that is adding another word to besides "flame", in the case of Infernape and Flareon, they could be known as Flame Monkey or Flame Fox Pokémon.

    Example 2 - Ditto and Lapras
    Ditto and Lapras are two examples which the species is related to what the Pokemon does instead to what it looks like. Ditto executes transformation, but it is not a transformation, actually it is a pink glue-like thing. But, it is classified by what it does, and not by what it is. The same goes for Lapras, which species seems to make people think that it was born be used as transport for others, like a transport slave. But Lapras isn't a transport, it is a sea creature. Ditto and Lapras could have been given species name that would fit better with them.

    Example 3 - Arcanine
    Species name that is not related to the Pokemon. Arcanine is the best example. It is known as the Legendary Pokemon, but it is not a legendary... paradox.

    Discuss about these examples and/or others about Pokemon species that you have noticed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Arcanine was originally planned to be a legendary Pokémon in the first generation but was replaced with Moltres. Apart of why Moltres is my least favorite of the trio

    *sshhh, don't cry Arcanine. I still love you*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The City by the Bay
    Posts
    454

    Default

    I don't see why Ditto must be changed. Transforming is what it does. I don't think Pink Blob Pokemon has as nice aring to it.
    I agree with you with Lapras and Arcanine, however.

    Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Example 1 - Infernape and Flareon
    Pokemons that are different should have different species name. How can two different Pokemons be classified which the same species name? This happens with Infernape and Flareon, which are known as Flame Pokemons, but there are a lot of other Pokemons that share the same species name and are very different from each other. A good way to fix that is adding another word to besides "flame", in the case of Infernape and Flareon, they could be known as Flame Monkey or Flame Fox Pokémon.
    Because as a whole, all Pokémon fall under the umbrella of a single species (Pokémon). Each individual evolutionary line is merely a subspecies. They're not literally "monkeys" or "foxes," just different kinds of Pokémon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Example 3 - Arcanine
    Species name that is not related to the Pokemon. Arcanine is the best example. It is known as the Legendary Pokemon, but it is not a legendary... paradox.
    The term "legendary" is simply being used in a different context in Arcanine's case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Arcanine was originally planned to be a legendary Pokémon in the first generation but was replaced with Moltres. Apart of why Moltres is my least favorite of the trio
    I am quite certain that this claim is not accurate.
    Last edited by Endolise; 26th April 2013 at 3:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    I am quite certain that this claim is not accurate.
    Correct.

    Arcanine is the "Legendary Pokemon" because it is literally the Pokemon version of the Chinese legend that it is based on. It even directly references China in it's dex entries.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    "Species," in the case of Pokemon, is used in the same regard that "Evolution" is: its meaning isn't even close to the real-world definition. It's terminology used extremely loosely to point out vague similarities. As Pokemon can (almost) all create offspring, and (almost) all created offspring can create more, then "Pokemon" is, itself, a species, just one that has a huge level of variety.

    Personally, I never understood why the "species" thin existed in the Pokedex. It doesn't affect gameplay in the least and, as has been pointed out, makes no sense whatsoever.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    "Species," in the case of Pokemon, is used in the same regard that "Evolution" is: its meaning isn't even close to the real-world definition. It's terminology used extremely loosely to point out vague similarities. As Pokemon can (almost) all create offspring, and (almost) all created offspring can create more, then "Pokemon" is, itself, a species, just one that has a huge level of variety.

    Personally, I never understood why the "species" thin existed in the Pokedex. It doesn't affect gameplay in the least and, as has been pointed out, makes no sense whatsoever.
    Its basically one of those things found in encyclopedias, and that's what the PokeDex is. But you're right. We never hear NPC refer to their Pokemon by the Species Name.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    543

    Default

    You make some good points, but they way I look at it is they are just describing them the best they can, we of course would add what kind of animal they are based on to their description. As far as Arcanine and Lapras are concerned, Arcanine is a major figure in ancient Pokemon mythology and ancient art and was regarded as a legend, and Lapras' have been used for centuries to ferry people around the water ways.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North east England, IT EXISTS!
    Posts
    553

    Default

    You don't get it, Arcanine is a Legendary Pokemon due to the fact that it was based on a Chinese legend, therefore legendary Pokemon. Besides, I don't think that back when gen 1 was being produced Legendary Pokemon were called as such officially (Feel free to correct me on this).

    The species names for Infernape and Rapidash are actually due to the fact that both are quite similar, they both actually have flames streaming off of their backs and 'flame Pokemon' makes sense for both, also, I don't think they're the only ones with the same classification and even then, their Japanese classifications may be completely different.

    And Ditto and Lapras just make complete sense, Ditto transforms, and is therefore a transformation Pokemon and Lapras is used for transport, so yeah.

    But to do with all, there really isn't really any point to them, so there shouldn't really be any rules on species and there isn't.

    Also, they're more classifications than species, though they are called as such in the game. The species should be what the Pokemon is called like an Infernape's species is that it's an Infernape.
    Last edited by Mr Dragon; 26th April 2013 at 6:46 PM. Reason: accidental double negative.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post
    You don't get it, Arcanine is a Legendary Pokemon due to the fact that it was based on a Chinese legend, therefore legendary Pokemon. Besides, I don't think that back when gen 1 was being produced Legendary Pokemon weren't called as such officially (Feel free to correct me on this).
    This is correct. Arcanine is the Legendary Pokemon in that it is the actual epitome of a Chinese mythological legend. Just like Pikachu is the Pokemon version of a mouse, and Rattata is the Pokemon version of a rat, Arcanine is the Pokemon version of a legendary dog in Chinese mythology. It is the Pokemon version of real-world (and, strangely, Poke-world!) Chinese mythology. This is distinct from Legendary Pokemon, the type of Pokemon deemed as such. At no point in time was Arcanine considered to be a Legendary Pokemon in the same sense as the Kanto Bird trio, Mewtwo, and Mew are.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post
    The species names for Infernape and Rapidash are actually due to the fact that both are quite similar, they both actually have flames streaming off of their backs and 'flame Pokemon' makes sense for both,
    If you're based on my example, I think that you switched Flareon for Rapidash, because actually Rapidash is known as the Fire Horse Pokemon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Arcanine was originally planned to be a legendary Pokémon in the first generation but was replaced with Moltres. Apart of why Moltres is my least favorite of the trio

    *sshhh, don't cry Arcanine. I still love you*
    Its just a theory. But I think its true. Arcanine over Moltres any day!

    My Pokémon Omega Ruby Team:

    [Raven] : [Neptune] : [Simba] : [Dubai] : [Zelda] : [Brutus]
    3DS Friend Code:
    2938-8044-3384

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •