Thread: Rate my White 2 team

Default Rate my White 2 team

This is my planned team for W2 and any input would be greatly appreciated (especially with natures and items)
    The only restrictions I have are: no breeding or battle frontier moves and no TMs that i cant get until after the E4
    oh, and i don't do EVs (partly because they are confusing and I'm not a very patient person)

Emboar
    Trait: Blaze
    -Hammer Arm
    -Thunder Punch
    -Iron Head
    -Heat Crash

Ferrothorn
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    -Seed Bomb
    -Gyro Ball
    -Aerial Ace
    -Curse

Vaporeon
    Trait: Water Absorb
    -Surf
    -Acid Armor
    -Ice Beam
    -Shadow Ball

Flygon
    Trait: Levitate
    -Fly
    -Earthquake
    -U-Turn
    -Dragon Claw

Beartic
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    -Icicle Crash
    -Superpower
    -Shadow Claw
    -Aqua Jet

Ampharos
    Trait: Static
    -Thunderbolt
    -Power Gem
    -Signal Beam
    -Strength
    Last edited by cc_aussie; 19th May 2013 at 1:04 PM.

Emboar
    Mild/Rash/Lonely/Naughty Nature
    ~Scald
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Brick Break
    ~Thunderpunch

Ferrothorn wants Adamant Nature, or at least Impish.

I don't really see the need for Acid Armor in-game especially since you're not going to Baton Pass it anyway. Replace it with Hyper Voice.
    Also, Vappy wants Modest or Calm Nature.

Flygon wants Adamant/Jolly Nature.

Beartic wants Adamant Nature. Personally I prefer Brick Break instead of Superpower, due to Superpower's stat drop.

Ampharos wants Modest/Calm Nature. Also, once you've pushed all the boulders down the hole, replace Strength with....Focus Blast or Thunder Wave.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Go with Shine's Emboar set, except Hammer Arm > Brick Break and Wild Charge > Thunderpunch. Emboar is slow anyway so he doesn't mind Hammer Arm's speed drop. Also, you'll probably only use your Electric-type move against Water- and Flying-types, both of which are major threats to Emboar so you'd want to be able to deal lots of damage to them, which is why I suggest Wild Charge. Recoil isn't a huge worry here because you won't be using it too often.

Power Whip > Seed Bomb on Ferrothorn for a more powerful move. Aerial Ace doesn't do much in terms of coverage; you're better off going with Payback, which also gets boosted thanks to Curse's +Atk and -Spe stat changes.

Fire Punch or Flamethrower > U-turn on Flygon to hit Ice-types, who are your biggest threat. It's up to you whether you want to run Fire Punch or Flamethrower; generally Ice-types have a lower Defence, but going with Flamethrower can help you against Steel-types as well, who typically have a lower SpD. It'll come down to what Flygon's nature supports; obviously if it has a -SpA nature then Fire Punch would be the way to go, for example.

Shadow Claw doesn't really do much in terms of coverage for Beartic. Go with Hone Claws instead - Hone Claws also pairs up nicely with Icicle Crash, which has a so-so accuracy. Also, I second Shine's suggestion on running Brick Break > Superpower, especially since Superpower is counterproductive alongside Hone Claws since Superpower reduces Attack, while Hone Claws increases Attack.

Super-effective Power Gem is inferior to STAB neutral Thunderbolt and super-effective Focus Blast; run Focus Blast > Power Gem, and Thunderwave > Strength, once you've pushed all the boulders down, for team support.

Hope this helps.

I recommend Leech Seed on Ferrothorn.
    Wild Charge is superior to Thunderpunch, but it's up to you if you don't want the recoil. Stone Edge or Earthquake might be handy against fellow fire types. You might consider Heavy Slam over Iron Head. Consider Flare Blitz over Heat Crash.
    Thunderbolt > Discharge. Get rid of strength for Focus Blast, Hidden Power, or anything. Amphy just isn't a physical attacker.
    Get rid of Fly on Flygon. >_> It's set up fodder, you don't want that. D: Definitely consider using Stone Edge, Rock Slide, or Fire Punch on it to handle Ice types.
    Weather = Ew.
    Proud atheist. Call me Flaming L. <3

Quote Originally Posted by AdeptLen View Post
    Get rid of Fly on Flygon. >_> It's set up fodder, you don't want that. D: Definitely consider using Stone Edge, Rock Slide, or Fire Punch on it to handle Ice types.
    Just to nitpick a little; Fly is fine for in-game stuff (not necessarily on Flygon specifically, but just in general); the AI doesn't switch, and rarely sets up, so the two-turn effect of Fly is rarely of consequence. It's only against actual people that it becomes setup fodder.

That said I'd replace U-Turn on Flygon with Rock Slide or Fire Punch. U-Turn doesn't really give great coverage and the switching can be annoying in-game. It's undoubtedly good for mind games against people, but that isn't a factor in-game.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeptLen View Post
    I recommend Leech Seed on Ferrothorn.
    Wild Charge is superior to Thunderpunch, but it's up to you if you don't want the recoil. Stone Edge or Earthquake might be handy against fellow fire types. You might consider Heavy Slam over Iron Head. Consider Flare Blitz over Heat Crash.
    Thunderbolt > Discharge. Get rid of strength for Focus Blast, Hidden Power, or anything. Amphy just isn't a physical attacker.
    For Emboar, I really don't like recoil moves so wild charge and flare blitz are out of the question but ill consider the heavy slam
    Amphy only gets strength for boulders sake and as for thunderbolt, i didnt realize the tm was available pre-E4 so ill chage that
    And fly is again only for the sake of convenience outside of battle

Ferrothorn is an annoying pokemon. Ideally you want:

Ferrothorn
    Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet

- Leech Seed
    - Toxic
    - Aerial Ace
    - Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn works crazy well in a Trick Room scenario but if you were to do that, you'd need to change you whole team... The problem with Ferrothorn is that it is useless against other Steel types, which can wall it like crazy.

But if you Leech Seed a pokemon on 1st turn, and Toxic it on 2nd, hopefully with Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet you can do quite decent damage. The problem is that Ferrothorn ideally needs a move such as Recover, which would make it almost a pretty damn annoying pokemon. But Aerial Ace can be used to get rid of those annoying Fighting types in a pinch and Gyro Ball is there for a reliable stab.

Quote Originally Posted by superyellowduck View Post
    Ferrothorn is an annoying pokemon. Ideally you want:
    I have a Ferrothorn, it is without a doubt one of the BEST stallers I've ever used, also it can hold its ground amazingly well with a decent attack stat.

Ferrothorn - Sassy (+Special Defense -Speed)
    Leftovers
    ~ Protect - Lets you get some more HP back from Leech Seed and Leftovers
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Curse - Get a couple of curses up and not only can it take a powerful hit but it's attack also becomes quite scary.
    ~ Power Whip/Gyro Ball - Gyro Ball is my preferred option, but if there's a type disadvantage.. Then you're a bit stuck. Plus with the Speed stat loss from curse.. It's quite powerful
    Current Shiny Hunt:

Abra - 14 Boxes

Next Hunt:

Aron
    Ludicolo