View Poll Results: Best story?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rescue Team

    4 6.45%
  • Explorers

    46 74.19%
  • Gates to Infinity

    12 19.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 65

Thread: Best PMD story? (possible spoilers)

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Equestria
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Funny thing, I think GTI was the worst of them.
    Only few dungeons, not all the pokemons, storyline is too short, things happen way too much fast, etc.
    Edit: Also, I hate the changes in the graphics, for me it completly spoil the game, when sprites were enough, and amazing.

    My favorite is actually BRT, it's actually the best game I've ever played.
    The storyline is incredible. Don't believe me? Well... you need to complete the game twice to really enjoy it. When I say complete the game it's actually recruiting Deoxys, and more things but I don't want to spoil the whole thing.
    Then you start over and you understand everything. Just try. ;P
    Some speech that look normal and boring in the first playthrough really smash hard when you understand the meaning.

    I'm sure most of you haven't completly finished the game, since there's so much to do!
    Current Hunt: 800 eggs hatched
    RE shinies:

    If you need to be rescued on Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team, send me a message!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rainbow Region
    Posts
    234

    Default

    I loved explorers, the twists, the turns, the heart put into it...I cry everytime I play it at the end...every.singel.time
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Explorers, hands down.

    I re-play that game all the time, and it is one of the best stories in a game-period!
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

  4. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post

    In Summation

    Explorers, as a whole, was more willing to take risks. It's impossible to deny that the game was much darker and edgier than GTI, and the reason it succeeded in doing so was by immersing you better into the story, introducing a much larger and more varied cast of believable characters, and by making excellent use of foreshadowing and plot twists to keep the adventure consistently fresh and nerve wracking. GTI's story is much better suited for young children and those who want nothing more than a "feel good" adventure, but it's Explorer's willingness to challenge the player and explore depths previously unseen in a Pokemon game that sets it apart as not only the best written Pokemon game, but one of the best written video games of all time.
    Denying it right here. Any dark points that Explorers had was totally counterbalanced by the Wigglytuff Guild (You thought a bunch of walking verbal tics were more believable characters than the main cast in Gates? Really?) which was nothing but pure sugar. There was no strife or personal problems they had to face or overcome, and I think that's the main reason why Gates was darker: Actual conflict other than black and white good vs jerks/evil (Unless you count the partner being braver which was incredibly sugary and just dull to sit through considering it only works if people actually help to make someone braver, which didn't work because the player character was a mute and the guild members did nothing in this regard) with at least small relevance to real life situations. Ok, so it was a traditional JRPG fabrication version of such personal conflicts/friendship issues, but at least they actually had them, which I cannot say the same for Explorers which was nothing BUT save the world when it's boiled down, and that in itself is just not interesting, fresh or engaging. No real character development aside from the partner, and as mentioned above, it wasn't good development.

    The foreshadowing you mentioned completely ruined all the twists (some of which were obvious anyway) except one - I will concede that the scene where Dusknoir's motivations are told - not explained - just told and the realisation that you, Grovyle and Dusknoir would be wiped out of existence by a time paradox was very well done. Please - were you actually surprised when Dusknoir turned on you? Would have been a far better twist if he didn't turn on you. The decision to foreshadow that he was evil and would betray you killed the tension for the two hours after that. Nerve wracking? This isn't Amnesia: The Dark Descen,t but ridiculous comparisons aside, I will admit that the dark future part was fairly intense with one of the few, good moments between you and the partner, but even then, that was 2/3rds through the entire game and it simply cannot make me forgive the sloggish sugar-fest that was the first two thirds.

    However, all of what I said above can be irreverent compared to this: I simply did not care about the characters in Explorers. The partner's dull (pretty much ruining the ENITRE story since we spend the entire game with him and was the only other main character aside from 'you' who's just a stand in for the player and thus is a mute), the Wigglytuff Guild did nothing whatsoever, Dusknoir was far too generic a bad guy, and Grovyle was way too stoic for me to invest myself in. If I do not care what happens to the characters, then it really doesn't matter what the story actually is: I still will not care what happens. The fact you think that it's one of the best written game stories of all time really tells me you've barely touched a game outside of Nintendo (hooray for ad homenin! *cough*)and while I really liked Gates's story, it's still far from the best game story ever. I dunno, maybe the special episodes in Sky were a lot better?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    While I still think GTI has a better story than Sky, I love some of the side stories added in that game. I love in one Dialga says that it was no miracle that the Pokemon of the future were saved from vanishing. It would have meant nothing if he hadn't said that some Greater Power saved them all (the greater power most likely being Arceus).
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I actually liked the plot of Explorers, but that whole limited storage was FRUSTRATING AS HELL and I felt it severely detracted from my playing experience (especially post-game). Or maybe I'm just OCD and want to collect all the species-specific items too...

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I completely agree with Rayze Darr. When I first played Explorers I was absolutely AMAZED by the story and everything. I think GTI is the worst after the Wii game. Sure, it's in 3D but I don't really care for it. I think the graphics are distracting (sprites were perfectly okay) and it's all too bright and sugary. It doesn't match with the seriousness of Explorers. I also think that the characters in Explorers are much more complex and there is actually some character development.
    Also, the beginning is pointless. It's like :"Hi! I don't know you. What? You're a human? Okay, I believe you. Let's buy a piece of land and live together." The story gets better but it's still kind of pointless. The characters are okay, but most of them seem kind of dull. And Victini is just annoying...

    I played Rescue Team, too and I'm watching a Let's Play on Youtube for the sake of nostalgia. I still remember something going on with Ninetailes and Gengar at the end, which was pretty touching.
    Well, the story of GTI was not bad(at least there was some story) but it's not good. I loved Rescue Team and Explorers and I stalked Google for a while, to see, if there was a new Mystery Dungeon Game. I actually thought about buying a 3DS, even if I like my orginal DS better(I have 2 because one of them is broken) But after seeing some Let's Plays on Youtube, I'm pretty disappointed. I wouldn't buy it, nor recommend anyone to do so. But fortunately, we're all different, right?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    If someone cares, can they tell me (in detailed form), why they would put rescue team over the others (not counting the wiiware game)? The only good thing about that story is gengar and the fugitive arc.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chikita View Post
    I completely agree with Rayze Darr. When I first played Explorers I was absolutely AMAZED by the story and everything. I think GTI is the worst after the Wii game. Sure, it's in 3D but I don't really care for it. I think the graphics are distracting (sprites were perfectly okay) and it's all too bright and sugary. It doesn't match with the seriousness of Explorers. I also think that the characters in Explorers are much more complex and there is actually some character development.
    Also, the beginning is pointless. It's like :"Hi! I don't know you. What? You're a human? Okay, I believe you. Let's buy a piece of land and live together." The story gets better but it's still kind of pointless. The characters are okay, but most of them seem kind of dull. And Victini is just annoying...

    I played Rescue Team, too and I'm watching a Let's Play on Youtube for the sake of nostalgia. I still remember something going on with Ninetailes and Gengar at the end, which was pretty touching.
    Well, the story of GTI was not bad(at least there was some story) but it's not good. I loved Rescue Team and Explorers and I stalked Google for a while, to see, if there was a new Mystery Dungeon Game. I actually thought about buying a 3DS, even if I like my orginal DS better(I have 2 because one of them is broken) But after seeing some Let's Plays on Youtube, I'm pretty disappointed. I wouldn't buy it, nor recommend anyone to do so. But fortunately, we're all different, right?
    I disagree. In fact, I think GtI was the best of all of them.

    The 3D was better than the sprites IMO (Some of the more epic scenes in the game can't be done with sprites), the plot is far from bright and sugary (apart from the other games being this too, the scene after Scorching Desert is possibly the darkest moment in any Pokémon game ever), the characters in GtI had just as much, if not more, character development than before (Your Story Recruits actually contributing to the plot, unlike the story recruits in the other games, helps), and the beginning is exactly the same as the other PMD games, so they're all ''pointless''.

    I LOVED Explorers and Rescue Team too, but the characters and plot of GtI are just better IMO.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Gaur Plain
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    If someone cares, can they tell me (in detailed form), why they would put rescue team over the others (not counting the wiiware game)? The only good thing about that story is gengar and the fugitive arc.
    As much as I hate gengar, that is true. Explorers just had an amazing story, IMO. and the sad ending with sad music was just... wow. Plus, the 5th special episode has a great story too. Overall, it beats GTI or rescue team. If people prefer rescue, it's probably because of gengar.



        Spoiler:- Credit + Claims:
    .

  11. #36

    Default

    I might have enjoyed Explorers's story if the partner was actually good. However, the game gave me no reason whatsoever to care for his exploration ambitions (wanting to be in adventurer in a game about going on adventures - kind of a given) and now that I think about it, he was downright needy. The entire first third was all about what the partner wanted to do as he essentially used the player character as a crutch for his ambitions and emotional support while giving pretty much nothing in return in this totally one-sided 'friendship'.

    At least the Gates partner had a spine and could stick up for himself and the incidents that unfold within the first three hours letting you know that the world is a bit jaded at least gave me a reason to be interested in his paradise ambitions, not to mention he comes across as actually caring about you, promising to help you with your issues regarding being summoned into the world, and especially his reluctance to wish you back in the post game, thinking 'Hey, what if the human's actually happier in the human world with his friends and family? I might end up taking that away from him forever.'

    If I have to ask 'Why would I even befriend you?' to a character who is supposed to be your trusted partner who is with you at ALL times and is the only character who really gets involved with you that often, then that alone kills the story for me.

    Question to you, why do you people like the Explorers partner, or the Wigglytuff Guild for that mater? Not in a patronizing way, I'm genuinely curious to see why people actually like them, because I'm not seeing it at all.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    I think nostalgia is probably one of the biggest factors in why people prefer the story of Explorers.

    At least that's the impression I get from all the people who say that Explorers is great, then neglect to mention any specific reasons as to why they feel that way.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Explorers definitely for me.Its a opinion though I just loved the characters in Sky I really fell in love with Wigglytuff as a character and many of the others.
    Also,I tend tend to like longer games,so that is another reason why I liked Sky.I did like GTI graphics,but everything else was medicore to me.I actually tend to like newer Pokemon games,but I liked the older games better here.But a lot of people did like GTI so I bet newer ones will be even better.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    I haven't played Explorers yet (regrettably so, I'm still trying to find a decently priced Sky) so I won't vote on the poll but I will say between Rescue team and GtI, the latter easily better. I liked the characters more, the story was more in-depth and while it was shorter I felt they worked it to their advantage.


    It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mt. Coronet
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I have not played GTI (I should really go find a let's play since I'm doubting I'll be getting a 3DS anytime soon...) so I can't really say which my favourite story would be. (Not to mention I haven't played the Wii versions, but I don't really think much of anyone has, so I won't count them...)

    However, between Red Rescue Team and Explorers, Explorers would win hands-down. I'm totally not biased because I'm currently playing Explorers of Sky. Nope.

    I still fondly remember playing the japanese version of Red Rescue Team and being utterly confounded as to how everything worked, but sort of figuring out as I went. Later on I played the english version and got to experience the storyline properly too, which permanently sealed my love for the MD series of games. (Even though Joyous Tower was the most irritating thing ever, and I will maintain that to this day. To make a long story short, it started as a mission to recruit starters and Eevee and... yes, I forgot Escape Orbs. Stupid me.)

    I also remember, however, being flung headfirst into Explorers of Darkness the first time I played it. Granted I played it in english and thus understood the story much better, but there was still that same element of discovering things for myself (my shrieks of shock and horror awe upon discovering what the Secret Slab did, for example). I was older then and familiar with how the game worked, to an extent, and thus was much more engrossed in the story than I had been when I was younger. I still bawled my eyes out at the end (and I always will), but I was also constantly cursing at my screen at some... certain characters who shall not be named and giggling at the antics of certain members of the Guild. (Wigglytuff, mainly, although tsundere!Chatot from the first special episode is getting a mention because I found that way too funny for my own good...)

    From what I've heard, GTI is even better than either of them, storyline-wise, so I'd most certainly be open to giving it a try before I can pass final judgement. Although if I end up bawling my eyes out at the end of this one too I'm going to need to start rethinking playing things that I know are going to cause me mass depression...

    On that note, from what little I've seen of GTI (V-Wheeeeel!!!! and Quagsire who is totally not getting in touch with his inner Deidara) the graphics, at least, are drool-worthy. The dungeons look gorgeous and the Pokemon themselves look nice in 3D.

    Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

    Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I think the 3D animation is just not my style. I don't like it. And the gameplay is definitively poorer (less playable characters, less Pokemon to recruit, shorter story, less dungeons etc.) If the game had been in 2D, everyone would be complaining.
    But I really don't see what's so special about the story. Maybe I missed something, who knows?
    The beginning of Explorers was far better, hands down. You're partner actually had a goal and dreams, more than just :"I want to be an adventurer!" All his ambitions seemed believable to me.
    I know it's a personal thing but when I think of Explorers, I remember many moments, that were outright touching and even made me cry. It's just not the same with GTI.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    ..Explorers all the way!

    <-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

    Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chikita View Post
    The beginning of Explorers was far better, hands down. You're partner actually had a goal and dreams, more than just :"I want to be an adventurer!" All his ambitions seemed believable to me.
    Except the partner in GtI does have a goal and dreams (To make a place where Pokemon can live harmony in a world where such a thing has become a rarity).

    "I want to be an adventurer" sounds more like the motive that the partner in Explorers has, since the only thing I can even recall him wanting to do initially was figure out what the purpose of that stone he found was by going on adventures.

  19. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chikita View Post
    But I really don't see what's so special about the story. Maybe I missed something, who knows?

    The beginning of Explorers was far better, hands down. You're partner actually had a goal and dreams, more than just :"I want to be an adventurer!" All his ambitions seemed believable to me.

    I know it's a personal thing but when I think of Explorers, I remember many moments, that were outright touching and even made me cry. It's just not the same with GTI.
    I was asking the same thing about Explorers's story.

    You sure you didn't misplace the word 'Gates' for 'Explorers'? All the Explorers partner wanted to do was to be an explorer/adventurer, and would happily use 'you' as a crutch to do it. In a game about exploring no less - quite literally the lowest common denominator for a motivation. The Gates partner at least had the whole paradise thing going on, a goal less offensively bland than just being an adventurer.

    I'm honestly more likely to cry over how much undeserved credit Explorer's story gets, but I can see a reason why it gets a lot of credit - it was the first story in the entire Pokemon franchise that wasn't, well, rubbish. It managed to be passable, which is still a gigantic leap forward compared to any other story in Pokemon until Gates came along, thus it probably vastly exceeded everyone's expectations. Gates's story on the other hand actually had something to live up to, even if in my eyes, it wasn't all that much.

    Trust me, go play a game like Persona 4 or Final Fantasy 9 to see a proper good story in a game and then compare it to Explorers. Well, I guess perspective is everything, isn't it.

  20. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chikita View Post
    I think the 3D animation is just not my style. I don't like it. And the gameplay is definitively poorer (less playable characters, less Pokemon to recruit, shorter story, less dungeons etc.) If the game had been in 2D, everyone would be complaining.
    But I really don't see what's so special about the story. Maybe I missed something, who knows?
    The beginning of Explorers was far better, hands down. You're partner actually had a goal and dreams, more than just :"I want to be an adventurer!" All his ambitions seemed believable to me.
    I know it's a personal thing but when I think of Explorers, I remember many moments, that were outright touching and even made me cry. It's just not the same with GTI.
    PMD GTI has more of those moments and has a darker tone, having more implied death and suicidal mentions than any "E" rated game I've played

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Okay, gonna do this again, cuz I'm just Royal Rank in GTI.

    Personally, I find it a tie between Rescue Team and GTI.

    I found the story and sound to be far superior than Explorers (I do love it though) and better than most of Rescue.

    It was touching to have actual character development, Explorers was basically just partner=chicken. Partner+waterfall thing scenario=brave stuff. Well for CD at least. Granted, Rescue really only had Gardevoir and Gengar as CD, but eh.

    Now, for Rescue reasons. Okay, I'll start this off by saying that Gengar being human and Gardevoir connections was a bit of a surprise, but it wasn't anything all too unexpected, the entire Fugitive thing was sad, but what I really liked was the difficulty, and the split patha in the post-game (Murky Cave, Meteor Cave, Mt. Faraway, Western Cave, Purity Forest, that's five "final" dungeons).
    Also, it's probably all nostalgia. I did like the Meteor stuff though, and ot made more sense of why you couldn't evolve than "okay, you can't evole because you are a Space-Time distortion, and your buddy just can't evolve for lolz".


    Oh, you want SBL? Fine. The WiiWare sucked, becayse it had too little major characters, and finding a cookie as the story is just, well, lame. Unlike what people sya though, it's actually quite decent. If they made some fixes maybe it could get an Eshop release on the 3DS for free?


    Note, I absolutely adore Explorers, and I do not try to diss it, it just pales in comparison to the other two.

  22. #47

    Default

    To be fair the main reason I am not a fan of the explorers series, is not because of the partner (Chikorita fits the partner role better than anyone), but because of one NPC that drove me up the wall. Skuntank from team skull.

    His personality didn't have anything too special, he didn't do much     Spoiler:- plot:
    Gates to infinity didn't have a single bad character EXCEPT for toxicroak, though he is not as bad.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    I liked that the obligatory villain team in GtI     Spoiler:- Spoiler:


    However, I liked how Rescue Team actually gave said group some closure, unlike its successors, where they basically just drop off the radar completely after the main story and are never mentioned again.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fortree City
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Explorer's storyline is the best. I think that for Gates to Infinity had too much content sacrificed for good graphics, which I certainly would not trade content for. There's basically nothing to do after the game, whereas in Explorers, by the time you reached the credits, you have officially finished 1/2 of the game.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    695

    Default

    After reading a couple new replies, from what I see is that, throughout the video game series of Pokemon, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers was the spark that gave pokemon a dark impression that Pokemon is getting itself open to much more serious themes like suicide, post apocalyptic worlds, and imprisonment.

    I mean, one thing that made Pokemon Black and White's plot so dark and bold in certain themes, character personalities and developments, was because of PMD's plot getting serous in terms of bold topics in a unique way.

    So, in my own bar graph, the time travel of dark plots started like this:

    Pokemon with dark stories, deep character developments, and plots:

    PMD: explorers ----> Pokemon Main series 5th Generation ----> PMD: Gates to Infinity

    And I got that feeling that thanks to the PMD series, interms of Plot the Pokemon series starts to go beyond the sugary themes while keeping the sugary content checking the dark themes.

    But this is something I can share easily. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is Game Freak's and Chunsoft's Pokemon Version of The Legend of Zelda series
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 14th July 2013 at 4:23 AM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •