Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91

Thread: Stupid Pokemon names

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In your trash can
    Posts
    237

    Default Stupid Pokemon names

    I absolutely hate the name "Regigigas". Not only I despise the Pokemon itself, but this name is terrible, it makes me think of a giant robot from a bad movie! I also don't like the names Throh, Sawk (THROH MY SAWK!), Conkeldurr, Tornadus and Thundurus(Landorus is okay.)

    Now it's your turn.
    Last edited by UbersSuck20; 28th April 2013 at 5:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Jynx. I mean, what the hell is that name ?
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    I absolutely hate the name "Regigigas". Not only I despise the Pokemon itself, but this name is terrible, it makes me think of a giant robot from a bad movie!
    Regi- from "king", -gigas from "giant". It is literally the "giant king", master of the Regi trio that it is.

    Sorry you don't like the name. That doesn't make it bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Jynx. I mean, what the hell is that name ?
    Are you legitimately unfamiliar with the word jinx?



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling Unova
    Posts
    4,739

    Default

    IMO there are no stupid pokemon names.. they are all pretty well thought out when they were given their names.. most haters just don;t know what they mean and dislike them.


    Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lolno
    Posts
    6,758

    Default

    Personally all of the Pokémon names are nice as each and everyone of them are unique and sometimes fun to say such as Alomomola which is a palindrome, something in the terminology world I adore. Plus you can just nickname the Pokémon that suits your fancy, regardless of the official name.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    I absolutely hate the name "Regigigas". Not only I despise the Pokemon itself, but this name is terrible, it makes me think of a giant robot from a bad movie! I also don't like the names Throh, Sawk (THROH MY SAWK!), Conkeldurr, Tornadus and Thundurus(Landorus is okay.)

    Now it's your turn.
    Regigigas is a brilliant name; it translates to "king of giants," which it is since it created the other Legendary Golems.

    Not sure what fault there is with Tornadus and Thundurus.

    Also, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're pronouncing "Conkeldurr" as it should be (that is, kon-KELL-der; not konk-el-DURR). Either way, the "eldurr" part refers to how it is an old, experienced fighter.

    Throh and Sawk refer to fighting terms. Throh utilizes judo, and thus is named after a "throw," while Sawk uses karate, and is named after the slang term "sock" (which means "to hit").

    All of them, I think, are perfectly reasonable names.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Either way, the "eldurr" part refers to how it is an old, experienced fighter.
    With "conk" being the first syllable of "concrete" and both the onomatopoeia and a colloquial term for hitting someone, usually on the head, as a beast carrying two slabs of concrete might be apt to do.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Where the sidewalk ends
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Is anyone else bothered by Volcarona's English name? It makes no reference to it being a Moth. I don't know why, but that always really bothered me. When I read it, I don't imagine a Bug-Type.
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-3681-3604. Add me if you'd like, and send me a PM if you'd like to battle or trade. : )

    Friend Safari Type: Electric. Contains Electrode, Electabuzz, and Luxio.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,876

    Default

    I dislike the fact that Regice is one syllable, whilst the other in the group are 'Regi' then the word after. Just sounds wrong when you say them all. Regifrost for example, would sound right.



    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Lord View Post
    Is anyone else bothered by Volcarona's English name? It makes no reference to it being a Moth. I don't know why, but that always really bothered me. When I read it, I don't imagine a Bug-Type.
    How many Pokemon names don't make reference to their species?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    764

    Default

    Unfezant is the one terrible name imo. It's a truly bad pun. "It's a Pheasant... and it's unpleasant... hey let's call it Unfezant!" That guy should have been fired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home I'll never know
    Posts
    9,888

    Default

    Pretty much all of these.

    It's Pokemon. Basically every name is either a portmanteau, wordplay, or both.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    my secret lair
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    i don't really have any names I really dislike. I'm not the biggest fan of Braviary but that more because I felt Wargle was one of those names that didn't need to change in the English version.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I thought that this would be a thread were you could come up with silly names for Pokémon (Guacamolusk (yes, I know it passs the 10 letter limit), for example).

    Personally, I don't think that there are any stupid Pokémon names, but I dislike lots of the Generation V ones because they seem unoriginal and aren't as cool to say as other names like Shuckle and Regigigas. Throh, Sawk, Cryogonal and Serperior to name a few. There are a few names I like in Gen V though, like Emboar and Sawsbuck.
        Spoiler:- My best teams:

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    but that more because I felt Wargle was one of those names that didn't need to change in the English version.
    Except that "Wargle" in English sounds like someone gargling. In Japanese it's "UUOGURU!" Much like Freezer ("FUREEZAA!"), Thunder ("SUNDAA!"), Fire ("FIYAA!"), etc., it was an English word (or a combination, in this case) that sounds exotic when spoken in Japanese but mundane and potentially odd when spoken in English. There was never any chance it would be kept.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elnava View Post
    Unfezant is the one terrible name imo. It's a truly bad pun. "It's a Pheasant... and it's unpleasant... hey let's call it Unfezant!" That guy should have been fired
    Now you are just being silly saying that the person should be fired, just because you don't like the name Unfezant. Beside Unfezant name suits its well.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Posts
    627

    Default

    I personally don't like the punny names of Foongus and Amoongus. It may just be my dislike for the Pokemon themselves. Idk.

    I honestly don't like Yveltal. Like, I get it and I know how to say it, it's just unappealing to me.

    My favorite names are Terrakion, Braviary, and Carracosta. I honestly think they have been getting considerably better at naming Pokemon since my three favorites are all in the latest generation.
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE. I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Littleroot Town
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Don't know if it can be considered "stupid," but I don't like Pokemon names that arise from changing or adding one or two letters to an existing English word, like Seel, Swanna, Tranquill, etc. Just seems kind of uncreative to me.

    Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tennessee, US
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Penguin View Post
    Don't know if it can be considered "stupid," but I don't like Pokemon names that arise from changing or adding one or two letters to an existing English word, like Seel, Swanna, Tranquill, etc. Just seems kind of uncreative to me.
    There are a bunch like that. Seal, Dewgong, Weedle, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Ninetales, Gloom, Persian, Mankey, Primeape, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Graveler, Golem, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Grimer, Muk, Cloyster, Gastly, Haunter, Onix, Drowzee, Krabby, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Cubone, Koffing, Weezing, Mr. Mime, Scyther, Jynx, Magmar, Ditto, Porygon, and Mew. That's just the first generation.

    I can understand why you would think they are uncreative, but the puns are in the spelling. The spelling gives the names the extra meaning.
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE. I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    To be honest, I like all of the Pokemon names.

    I dislike the fact some of them are hard to pronounce or spelling, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    I dislike the fact that Regice is one syllable, whilst the other in the group are 'Regi' then the word after. Just sounds wrong when you say them all. Regifrost for example, would sound right.
    Regifrost isn't a nice name because each "Regi" is associated to the element it is made of, and Regice is made of ice (there isn't how it were made of frost).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    Conkeldurr.
    It's better if you think of it as "Conk EL der" instead of "Conk l der."


    I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

  21. #21

    Default

    The first name which cmae to my mind when reading this thread was Lickilicky. To me it sounds like baby talk :/
    And concerning Regice, I wouldn't mind if it was claled Regiice, evne though the 2 i's look weird.

    Button by WereDragn
    ORAS News
    (oh yeah, if you didn't know, my PM box is still full...)

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    How am I the first person to mention Purugly? Seriously, how?

    Granted, I guess the name does fit the Pokemon.

    I've never liked Zoroark's name. It's just plain awkward to say. Heck, when it first got announced, I was almost positive they'd translate it to "Zoloark," which sounds so much cooler and rolls off the tongue easier, imo.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  23. #23

    Default

    Why would they translate it to Zolo- when it's from "zorro", which actually means "fox" in Spanish?



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Why would they translate it to Zolo- when it's from "zorro", which actually means "fox" in Spanish?
    Mainly because I was unaware of this. There are plenty of names in Japanese that wouldn't make sense being directly transferred to English. I was going by the same logic that Lucario went by, being translated from Rucario.

    And it doesn't change the fact that "Zoroark" is incredibly awkward to say and should never have been directly translated in the first place, imo.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  25. #25

    Default

    It's not at all awkward to say. I don't know what linguistic gymnastics you're going through in order to say it.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •