Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Pokemon names

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    It's not at all awkward to say. I don't know what linguistic gymnastics you're going through in order to say it.
    It may well just be my accent, but with two "r"s that close together, separated only by vowels that are both part of separate syllables, saying the name at anything resembling a normal speed comes out as "Zor-or-ork." A softer "l" instead of the first harsh "r" alleviates this problem. Even then, though, the separate-syllable "o" and "a" add in an imaginary "w," making it come out as "Zo-lo-wark." Again, though, this may just be my accent. I've never liked the name, and as I've admitted, this is simply a matter of opinion, and I respect your disagreement with it.

I also don't like Patrat's name. This one I just think sounds stupid. I'd also like to point out that a name making sense doesn't make it good, a-la the aforementioned Regigigas and Jynx. I have nothing against the names, but I'm positive that the fact that they have meaning behind them doesn't change their stupidity to those who find them unappealing.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    I absolutely hate the name "Regigigas".
    Now it's your turn.
    I do not even..... It suits the colossal giant perfectly.

Vanillite, Vanillis, and Vanilluxe

hur hur hur

Klink, Klang, Klinkklang..... I dont even.

I kinda agree that there could have been a better choice for a name than Patrat. I get its species look around, search, etc and its patrol+rat...but it doesn't feel natural to read and say it to me. I like Watchog though, it's a nice fit.

I like Regice. "Redge ice" rolls off my tongue easier than "Regi-ice", but I think "Regi-ice" sounds better. Are there two offical pronunciations for it or is "Regi-ice" considered an error?

*Edit*
    Out of curiosity, I looked up synonyms for look. Leer and peek stuck out to me. How would everyone feel about Patrat being Peekrat? Leerkat would be a nice pun of meerkat too
    Last edited by TheFonz; 29th April 2013 at 6:14 AM.

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    I kinda agree that there could have been a better choice for a name than Patrat. I get its species look around, search, etc and its patrol+rat...but it doesn't feel natural to read and say it to me. I like Watchog though, it's a nice fit.

I like Regice. "Redge ice" rolls off my tongue easier than "Regi-ice", but I think "Regi-ice" sounds better. Are there two offical pronunciations for it or is "Regi-ice" considered an error?
    As far as I'm aware, "Regi-Ice" is the only official pronunciation. I agree that they could've done a lot better showing that in its name.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Pokédex 3D pronounces it "Reg-ice".

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    I absolutely hate the name "Regigigas".
    I have no problem with it; what I dislike are people who call it "Regimoss" or go overboard by calling it "Regigigigigigas." The official name isn't hard to spell imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Jynx. I mean, what the hell is that name ?
    It's so ratchet in my opinion. But some Generation 5 names like "Throh" and "Sawk" are worse. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night screaming because of how terrible those names are. I appreciate puns as much as the next person, but those names make me retch and cringe.

That's not being overly hyperbolic about minutiae at all.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    I also don't like Patrat's name.
    My only issue with Patrat's name was that, for the longest time, I wasn't sure if it was pronounced as "pat-rat" (similar to "pet rat") or "pa-trat" (similar to "patrol," which makes sense considering that patrolling is what Patrat do).

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Klink, Klang, Klinkklang..... I dont even.
    Well what sounds do gears make? Better yet, what would you have named them? Their naming scheme illustrates how multiple gears come together to form an interconnected system.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    My only issue with Patrat's name was that, for the longest time, I wasn't sure if it was pronounced as "pat-rat" (similar to "pet rat") or "pa-trat" (similar to "patrol," which makes sense considering that patrolling is what Patrat do).
    I pronounce both Patrat and Watchog with emphasis on the second syllable.

Because ambiguity.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokeBroKing View Post
    I honestly don't like Yveltal. Like, I get it and I know how to say it, it's just unappealing to me.
    Making a decent name beginning with the letter 'Y' is pretty tough, honestly.

That's how I've always said it. There is only one 'I', saying 'Regi-ice' grabs another out of nowhere.
    Last edited by Mister_SGG; 29th April 2013 at 9:55 PM.

if you have some free time, check out my new demo! ~ last.fm ~ steam

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Now you are just being silly saying that the person should be fired, just because you don't like the name Unfezant. Beside Unfezant name suits its well.
    I'm obviously kidding. I don't actually want anyone fired.

Unfezant sounds so stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mew. View Post
    I guess you are a special one and do not fit under the "most people" category

Okay, this has annoyed me - is it a hard or a soft "g" sound?

Politoed. <-- Alright, so that's a rather lame name, especially with the way it's spelled. Just that reminds me of that game that once came out that boldly declared to the world "All your base are belong to us."

There are others like it, but you get my point. :P
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Vanillish and Lickylicky. Especially Lickylicky.
    My Pokémon Omega Ruby Team:

[Raven] : [Neptune] : [Simba] : [Dubai] : [Zelda] : [Brutus]
    3DS Friend Code:
    2938-8044-3384

Chandeluremon...>_>

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Okay, this has annoyed me - is it a hard or a soft "g" sound?
    Soft "g", like Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by LJNIC View Post
    Chandeluremon...>_>
    What's the problem here...?

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Fury View Post
    Politoed. <-- Alright, so that's a rather lame name, especially with the way it's spelled. Just that reminds me of that game that once came out that boldly declared to the world "All your base are belong to us."

There are others like it, but you get my point. :P
    Because "Politoad" is such a much better name. You can tell it looks more appealling just the way its spelled.

Case in point, a Pokemon's name isn't spelled wrong if it's the legitimate name of the Pokemon.

Soft "g", like Reggie.
    His body wasn't ready to pronounce it.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Leafeon. It's not that bad really, but I think they definitely could have come up with something much more creative. Glaceon was cool, but Leafeon was just the most obvious name for it.
    Couldn't they have done like what they did with Umbreon, and, instead of naming it something stupid like Shadoweon, have used the Greek world for Leaf instead and then fix it to fit "eon" at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by *~Silver*~ View Post
    Leafeon. It's not that bad really, but I think they definitely could have come up with something much more creative. Glaceon was cool, but Leafeon was just the most obvious name for it.
    Couldn't they have done like what they did with Umbreon, and, instead of naming it something stupid like Shadoweon, have used the Greek world for Leaf instead and then fix it to fit "eon" at the end?
    With the greek name, you might see it as Fylleon. Would that be more acceptable.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Räven View Post
    Especially Lickylicky.
    Eek. I forgot about that one. I remember all the complaints when that name was revealed. I personally thought it was a cruel joke but then it turned out to be real. Ugh, I still get a queasy feeling in my stomach just thinking about the name, which is a shame since I think the Pokemon itself is all right.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Silver*~ View Post
    That is the only Eeveelution name I have ever had a problem with. Mostly because I, like so many others before me, have created a crappy sketch of and name for every potential Eeveelution of each type once they started releasing more, i.e. Umbreon/Espeon. Some might be ridiculous, but I was so set on the Grass type being called either Iveon, Floreon, or Foleon (Ivy, Flora, Foliage). When I saw "Leafeon," I was so let down.
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE. I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Ugh, I still get a queasy feeling in my stomach just thinking about the name, which is a shame since I think the Pokemon itself is all right.
    More unnecessary hyperbole. No, hearing the English name for a fictional character didn't make you "queasy". Stop.

Is this a bad time to point out that "Lickylicky" is largely about as straight of a translation from the Japanese name as you can do?

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokeBroKing View Post
    There are a bunch like that. Seal, Dewgong, Weedle, Pidgeot, Spearow, Fearow, Ninetales, Gloom, Persian, Mankey, Primeape, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Graveler, Golem, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Grimer, Muk, Cloyster, Gastly, Haunter, Onix, Drowzee, Krabby, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Cubone, Koffing, Weezing, Mr. Mime, Scyther, Jynx, Magmar, Ditto, Porygon, and Mew. That's just the first generation.

I can understand why you would think they are uncreative, but the puns are in the spelling. The spelling gives the names the extra meaning.
    I'd say there's a difference between a punny slight change to a real word and just a misspelled real word. Names like tranquill and exeggcute work because while they either sound just like real words or barely different, they reference something else about the pokémon to add to it (it's not just a tranquil thing, it's a tranquil thing with quill feathers, and not just anything that executes plans, eggs that execute plans). Some of these names are just altered real words without anything added to them (like seel), whose misspellings are almost questionable considering some names are just plain old real words that aren't altered. Why go to the trouble of calling the nine-tailed pokémon ninetales, causing mass confusion over how it's actually spelled, if there isn't a problem with calling a pokémon the plain, unchanged "persian"? "Ninetails" doesn't seem much worse than that.

Not to mention that the pokémon persian doesn't even look like a Persian cat. I have similar problems with dewgong, who clearly is supposed to be a pinniped, but gets repeatedly claimed to be a dugong just because of its name. Beedrill bothers me a little as well. It's a wasp with stingers on its arms, how little attention was the person who named it paying to think it's a bee with boring drills on it? It could've even just gotten its Japanese name changed just a bit and been called "waspear", which has more flow. Same deal with infernape. It's got a tail, what kind of ape has a tail?

I think I'd probably be less bugged by names which didn't correctly identify the pokémon with them if people didn't so firmly hold pokémons' names to be the final, defining indicator of what they're based on (especially if purely the English name refers to it). I don't despise the name hitmonchan, but it really irks me when people say it absolutely must be based on Jackie Chan just because its name refers to him. Jackie Chan isn't even a boxer. The argument for pikachu being a pika also bothers me. The word even has its own meaning in Japanese and people insist the name must refer to the animal.

And then there are instances like electrode, which I'm not sure I can say is made better or worse by the fact that whoever named it seems to have been trying to come up with a creative portmanteau (they could have been thinking electric + explode), but ended up getting a real word anyway. There are other names that have similar problems. I get that weedle was probably meant to mean it's a wee little wormy thing with a needle, but how many people who heard the name before seeing it were surprised to see it didn't look like some kind of plant? Same thing for weavile. Hearing the name, I'd picture a vile weevil, or a vile thing that weaves, but a vile weasel? I prefer when portmanteau-based names don't accidentally evoke words which don't have anything to do with the pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Lord View Post
    Is anyone else bothered by Volcarona's English name? It makes no reference to it being a Moth. I don't know why, but that always really bothered me. When I read it, I don't imagine a Bug-Type.
    I used to not like rapidash's name for similar reasons (or you could say inverse). It bothered me that its name doesn't reference its fire typing, but I realized later there aren't a whole lot of words relating to heat to choose from, so it's understandable that not all fire pokémon have names that do. There are even some overlaps already like charmander/chimchar. Then again, I actually think the name scorchimp (which someone besides me made up) would sound much better.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

I have an issue with a lot of the Japanese names of gen 1 pokemon. The likes of Aerodactyl , the eeveelutions, the legendary birds, Scyther, Magmar, Kabuto, Chansey, Haunter, Sandshrew.. the list goes on.

As for the English ones: Mr.Mime, Sawk, Throh, Oshawatt, Unfezant, Audiono and a plenty of the 5th gen (but maybe its because it is the first gen in which I knew the Japanese names first).

Cofagrigus, it sounds like a disease.

My least favorite name of them all is... Roggenrola! (and many others from Gen 5)
    *Insert Some Cool Image Here*

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast