Thread: How long it takes...

Default How long it takes...

I am relatively new at this fanfiction game, writing wise anyway, so while I have been talking to different authors I have realised that some authors can actually finish writing a whole chapter in one day. Is that normal? That seems ridiculously quick to me lol

Each of my chapters are around the 5000 word mark and it take me a month to finish a chapter, is that slow? Or is it just because I am new at this?

How long does it usually take you to finish writing chapters?
    Team Rocket: Built On Lies

Set after the events of Operation Tempest, Giovanni's next scheme plans to send the whole world into ruin. But how will Team Rocket cope when they realize that Operation Tempest changed Giovanni forever...

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Built-On-Lies

Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1891 - 1654 - 1184

Whether you're new to it or you're a professional, it depends on the writer and what they're writing. Some writers make a goal for themselves to write out so-many pages/words a day. Others write until they drop, while some just choose to take their time. It really all just depends on what it is you're writing. Obviously, a one-shot that averages to about three thousand words will be done in a few hours if the writer is determined/fast enough. A chapter may take a little longer depending on the content in that specific chapter.

If it takes you a month to finish a chapter, that's fine, that's your comfortable pace. If you don't like that type of pacing, you should attempt to push yourself a little harder and maybe look at how long you're spending writing per day. I don't know your writing schedule, so I don't know how much time you're putting to it each day, but you should find a nice even average, like an hour per day just writing that particular chapter. With enough days under your belt of doing that, you'll be able to crank out more words when you get comfortable. I also don't know how you type, what your average word-per-minute is, so if you feel like you need to practice your typing, there are programs out there you can use to help.

Personally for me, I like to get a few thousand words for a chapter, no less than a thousand for a regular one-shot. I haven't exactly timed myself recently, but on average, it takes me about an hour to write a one-shot that's to my liking. Chapters take a little longer depending on how into it I am. I do remember that last night, I spent about a good half-hour (or less, I didn't really look at the clock, it was late anyway) writing out just a page's worth before I got tired. The word count is 676 words. Of course, this is a scene in the specific chapter that has been taking me longer than normal because I'm just not that into it. If I was really invested in a chapter, I will write several pages within a couple of hours. I am a pretty fast typist depending on how connected my brain and my fingers are, so in a way, I vary quite a bit in pacing. I mean like right now, it's taken me about ten minutes to write this post out. Keyword being "about" (I mostly just guess anyway).

So yeah... long story short, it all depends on the writer and their comfort level. It's perfectly normal.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

In addition to what Kutie Pie said (which was very much to the point), it doesn't matter how long a chapter may take you as long as it satisfies you and your readers. There's no excuse for quality because if it's awesome, it's worth any wait.

Hope that last line didn't confuse.

L@er!
    The Corei Quest's latest chapter: Chapter Forty Seven: Tricks of the Trade (24 April 2014)
    PROJECT C-SQUARE STATUS = 100.00% Complete (11-12-2010, ca. 2:40pm GMT)
    HEART OF SEVEN STONES IS ON INDEFINITE HIATUS (REAPED) UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
    Butt-ugly Banner by Me
    (Still waiting on the excellent Saffire Persian for another awesome TCQ banner!)

Simply, it will depend on the amount of detail and content that you want to place. Check any of our stories posted on this site if you have time. You may get a lesson or two on how depth can be studied.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Even if I can churn something out in a day, I personally like to let it sit overnight and go back and edit it in the morning when what I've written isn't fresh in my mind. Sometimes I do it twice to be thorough. In that sense, it usually takes me a while; plus, I take my sweet time making everything gel the way I want.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    Even if I can churn something out in a day, I personally like to let it sit overnight and go back and edit it in the morning when what I've written isn't fresh in my mind. Sometimes I do it twice to be thorough. In that sense, it usually takes me a while; plus, I take my sweet time making everything gel the way I want.
    Agree with your terminology. It WILL happen more once you take college or a job. Right now, I'm a college student. Writing management is much more difficult compared to before no thanks to the needed studies I had to do. But it's summer now on my Location. So my class will start again on June this year.

So while you're having more free time, hone your writing skills. Better yet, from personal experience, if it will mean something grand and important in the future, it will be rewarding in the long run. The Feli Chronicles series I'm posting here (the link is the banner on the left of my signature bar), believe it or not, is a novel project that I will use on my future business career.

All in all, give it a lot of thought. Again, all of my responses are from personal experiences and understandings.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. It really depends on the writer, and also the day. It could come to a point with me where I could get more than one chapter out in a day, but sometimes I couldn't get through a couple of pages. You've also got to deal with writers block, real-life distractions, and also things in real life.

The reason I've not posted much here lately is because I'm writing my own novel series, and this brings up the same point. On some of my days off I can get pages and pages done. Some days I can get through a couple of paragraphs. Some days I can't write at all, and just go through editing, or re-reading. Some days I leaf through my planning and tweak things about the world, or plot points.

The point is not to compare yourself to anyone else. If what you're dishing out in a few weeks is something you'd be proud of setting down and you don't feel you could get that quality within a couple of days, then by all means, take the few weeks. Your readers will appreciate it, and to be honest, the ones who don't want to come back clearly didn't care in the first place.
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike

As people have said, it varies. If you want to write something long, like a journey fic, expect to be in it for a while. These kinds of things take time, no matter how fast you write. There's a lot of variance here among chapter length too, so try to find a measure that you feel comfortable with. Yes, if I wrote two-page chapters, I could probably churn out a chapter a day for a little while before I hit burnout. But I tend to write longer chapters (5-8 pages for fanfiction, 8-13 pages for original fiction) so odds are it'll take longer.

As you get more into writing, there will be days when everything just clicks and you can produce several pages all in one sitting. Like, I once set down 25 pages in 36 hours, which was insane. I also did not sleep. Do not do what I did. However, at least once a week I manage to hit that ideal state of mind and am able to produce 3-4 good pages in one sitting. Then, of course, there are the days where it's agonizing to write down just 300 words. But the important thing is to write even on those days, to force yourself through your creative blocks.

I've been writing fiction for several years now, and I like to think I've hit my stride. I can usually put out about 10 pages a week, and I set fairly strict deadlines for myself. That's not to say you should work at my pace. Odds are, you won't want to. Just keep with writing and put out as much as you can. In time, the stories will begin to flow more easily and you will notice that your pace in writing begins to pick up. If it took you four days to write eight pages, you'll find yourself occasionally doing it in three. There's no right or wrong way to go about writing. Every single writer, professional, amateur or whatever, works at their own pace. If you want to increase your pace, force yourself to meet realistic but challenging deadlines. You'll force yourself to increase your skills, but in a way that isn't too taxing on you.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path