Thread: Little Tyrants: A BW2 LC Hail Team (Well, Sorta)

Default Little Tyrants: A BW2 LC Hail Team (Well, Sorta)

Spoiler:- Le Intro:

Spoiler:- LC Info:

Righto, that's long. And probably pretty dull. You came for the team so here it is!

Snover @ Eviolite
    Trait: Snow Warning
    Level: 5
    EVs: 36 HP / 104 Atk / 36 Def / 184 SAtk / 116 SDef / 32 Spd
    Quiet Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Shard
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

Snover's here for obvious reasons. This is a Hail team. Therefore I need Hail. Snover provides Hail. For the record, the 32 Spe EVs don't do anything here. But they wouldn't affect anything else either, so I stuck 'em here just for the lulz factor of having EVs in all my stats. The others are all the minimums for reaching the values I need. This Snover is also painfully slow, so unless Hippopotas is min-Spd (8), I will at least slow-tie it. Snover's min is 9. I went for Eviolite over Scarf, what Snover usually runs, because Scarf is expected and Eviolite is better for outlasting Hippopotas. Blizzard takes advantage of the Hail to hit really hard, Giga Drain is for recovery, Ice Shard gets priority and HP Rock hits Fire types on the switch-in. Since I will not ever outspeed them. It's situational but it has helped.

Abra @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 240 SAtk / 68 SDef / 200 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Protect

Abra's one of my hard hitters. It hits 19 Spe, which means it's only always outsped by Voltorb, Diglett and Elekid bar boosts. And its SpA isn't half bad either. And it has Magic Guard which just plain rocks. Abra'll do some serious damage in almost every match it gets in in. Psychic gets STAB and is my main attack. It wrecks things. 'Nuff said. Shadow Ball and HP Fighting get perfect neutral coverage and also do pretty decent chunks against the right targets. Protect is here to stop Fake Out (Mienfoo's pretty popular and just about always carries it) to preserve my Sash.

Staryu @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 36 HP / 200 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin

Staryu is here to function as a spinner and bulky attacker. It's got a lot of that, with both Recover and Natural Cure, so I can pretty easily spin multiple times if I need to. Staryu also DOESN'T have Starmie's secondary Psychic type, which is actually really, really useful. Hydro Pump is my STAB move that can put a dent in a lot of things. Although it seems like the accuracy hates me in LC a lot more than in OU. Thunderbolt is great for hitting opposing Water-types and Murkrows (Not that this team has a problem with Murkrow, or any other Flying-type for that matter).

Mienfoo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 HP
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Fake Out

Remember that bit about 19 HP beign the perfect Life Orb number in LC? Yeah, that's why this has 0 HP IVs. It hits exactly 19. Which also, conveniently enough, minimizes Hail damage. And that paired with Regenerator makes Mienfoo a very nice offensive Pokemon that can take a beating and keep on kicking. Without Eviolite it isn't exceptionally bulky but it can survive a few hits. And U-Turn lets me scout and pivot with it too. Fake Out is here to be generally annoying and awesome and yeah. HJK gets STAB and will destroy almost anything with a LO boost. Stone Edge is here for Bugs (Larvesta...), Fires and Flyings.

Smoochum (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Forewarn
    EVs: 76 HP / 236 SAtk / 196 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Blizzard
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock
    - Trick

I'm pretty sure most people see this and go "Smoochum? LOLGG" in their heads. At least, they do until Smoochum sweeps half their team with Blizzard. Something I noticed about the Smogon-suggested spread was that it put Smoochum at 14 Spe with plenty of extra EVs that were nowhere. 14 is the ideal number for an LC Scarfer since 21 will outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, but I decided to see what would happen if I put those extras in Spe. Sure enough, Smoochum hit 15. Most Scarfers aim for 14. I outspeed them. And can OHKO a good many of them, much to my opponent's surprise. Blizzard is pretty obvious as a sweeping move. Psyshock is here to hit certain things like Munchlax hard. HP Fire is here for Ice-types and Steels. And finally Trick cripples something, usually gives me a useful Eviolite and has won me a fair few games. As for why I'm using this over, say, Vanillite or Snorunt, they don't have secondary Psychic typing. They're weak to Timburr's Mach Punch and Croagunk's Vacuum Wave. Smoochum isn't and destroys both with Psyshock.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 164 HP / 188 Def / 148 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seed Bomb

Finally, I wanted hazards so I went with an old favorite. Well, sort of. Ferrothorn isn't legal in LC. But Ferroseed is, and it's just as awesome as Ferrothorn. Spikes and Stealth Rock are my hazards and getting both up actually isn't that hard. Thunder Wave is here as a crippling status. In LC, Spd differences are so small even Ferroseed can outspeed most paralyzed Pokes. Seed Bomb is being used over the far stronger Gyro Ball because of both Thunder Wave and my hatred of Steel's offensive coverage. Seriously, it hits what, Ice and Rock? Grass hits Rock anyway, and I have Mienfoo and Smoochum for Ice. And given how many things resist Steel, even a full-powered Gyro Ball is often weaker than a neutral Seed Bomb.
    Last edited by loco1234; 29th April 2013 at 6:58 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Nice team, I really like the use of Smoochum.

One big weakness I see is Murkrow though. Really any set threatens you. Mixed LO Attacker can hit your entire team with Brave Bird, and if you switch in Ferroseed, then you're giving him a free Heat Wave. Smoochum, Mienfoo, and Snover can revenge this set well enough though. Your real problems are with the Scarf and SubRoost sets. The Scarf set outruns Smoochum, and threatens everything (besides Ferroseed who is an extremely risky switch) with Brave Bird. It can be worn down into KO range for Snover with hail damage though. SubRoost can set up a sub on Smoochum for scouting, and well as on most of you're team. Ferroseed is a hard answer for this set, but some people run Heat Wave over Sucker Punch, so watch out.

Another annoying Pokemon I see is Scarfoo, since nothing wants to take a HJK. You can revenge with Abra well enough, but if Abra has any Prior damage then it's going to be a fast game, since I think he outspeeds Smoochum (Not sure though). Even if he does, Smoochum only checks him, and doesn't like HJK's to the face.

Misdreavus is also annoying, since with +2 and a sub it 2HKO's Ferroseed with HP Fighting, and hits everything else hard. So you'll be sacking at least 1 Pokemon every time it sets up on your Mienfoo or Ferroseed if you try to Paralyse it.

Now for the changes:

Bulky Chinchou > Staryu

This gives you a solid answer to Murkow, and a decent one to Misdreavus and others. You will lose Rapid Spin, but I think this will end up helping more.

Sub + NP Misdreavus > Ferroseed

Ferroseed really hurts the offensive pressure this team gives, and makes you more weak to the fighting types everywhere in the tier. Misdreavus helps against Scarfoo, and with a sub up can beat other Misdreavus. And with +2 and a Sub, makes a deadly late game sweeper. You'll lose hazards, but that shouldn't be a problem with this team offensive pressure. It also forms a nice core with Chinchou.

Taunt/Knock Off > Stone Edge
    Eviolite > LO

Since you'll be losing your rapid spinner if you choose to use my advice, Taunt can be used to block hazards. It also helps vs. Misdreavus that try to set up on you, and other set up sweeper (Helps against Missy's that Sub 1st then NP). Knock Off can be used to hit Missy on the switch, or remove Eviolites from opposing tanks. Also, Eviolite gives Mienfoo bulk, which it needs since it is an essential pivot for your team.

Good luck with the team!

I'll give these a shot, thanks! Ferroseed hasn't been doing a whole lot for me besides dropping hazards (although pretty often I get Rocks and 3 layers of Spikes up) and the occasional T-Wave, I do think Misdreavus or something would help more. My one concern with Eviolite Foo is that I'm pretty sure it'll lose out on some important KOs and sometimes I have to fall back on switching and Fake Out spam for which the power is important. I'll still try it though!
    Last edited by loco1234; 30th April 2013 at 5:25 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis