Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What IF Pokemon Special (Adventures) was made into an Anime?

Default What IF Pokemon Special (Adventures) was made into an Anime?

As the title implies, I'd like to know what you think what would happen if Hidenori Kusaka's Pokemon Manga was adapted into an Animated TV Series if the actual Anime was never thought of.

Here are some questions to think about:

1. Would the story in the Anime be different than in the Manga? The exact same? Or the same with a few fillers and extra stories?

2. Who would voice the characters in the Japanese and/or English versions?

3. Who would handle the dub and how would it be handled for US distribution?

4. How would the Animation and Character Designs be? Good? Bad? Average?

So go wild! Just remember that this is a "What If" topic so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by matt0044; 30th April 2011 at 1:24 AM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    1. Would the story in the Anime be different than in the Manga? The exact same? Or the same with a few fillers and extra stories?
    Well, it depends on when it would have been made. Had it been made when a good chunk of Pokemon Special was already out, my guess is it most likely would be the same for the most part, with just a few fillers and extra stories here and there. (since you very rarely get an anime adaptation of a manga without a few differences and filler/extra stories) If it was made when the manga was first starting out though, then it would have probably been based on the manga, but loosely. (kind of like Sailor Moon. If you've read the manga and then watch the anime you can tell that the anime is still based on it, just loosely. *since a lot of things are different between the two canons*)

2. Who would voice the characters in the Japanese and/or English versions?
    Hmm, I dunno. I'll have to come back to this sometime.

3. Who would handle the dub and how would it be handled for US distribution?
    Well, if we got a Pokemon Special anime instead of the Pokemon anime we have, my guess is it would be the exact same situation. (at least most likely) 4Kids would handle the dub and US distribution like they did with the anime we have now, and then later the other company that dubs Pokemon now would do it. (the name of the company escapes me at the moment) I don't really think the situation would be that different, but who knows?

4. How would the Animation and Character Designs be? Good? Bad? Average?
    Depends on the studio that makes it. I would guess that the animation and character designs would be good or at least average. It's pretty rare that you see an anime that has really bad animation and character designs, especially when it's already based off of something (like a manga) as source material.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 29th April 2011 at 2:12 AM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

If the anime followed the story of Pokémon Adventures, it'd be SOOO much better.

-No more incompetent idiots as main characters.
    -No more annoying female characters, but the badassery of the Adventures female characters instead (Krystaaaaal!)
    -It would be both hilarious and interesting.
    -The art style of the Adventures manga is really cool and I reckon it'd make for a great style for an anime too.

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLV5 View Post
    If the anime followed the story of Pokémon Adventures, it'd be SOOO much better.

-No more annoying female characters, but the badassery of the Adventures female characters instead (Krystaaaaal!)
    -It would be both hilarious and interesting.
    -The art style of the Adventures manga is really cool and I reckon it'd make for a great style for an anime too.
    Everything said above in this comment.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

IT wouldn't be childish and would actually get more viewers... but to do this viz and 4kids... Gatta go! seriously... Give it to someone else... Idc who just not some "Oh the word kill is there... lets totally change the convo" kind of people
    Last edited by Satori; 28th April 2011 at 7:06 AM.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    but to do this viz and 4kids... Gatta go! seriously... Give it to someone else... Idc who just not some "Oh the word kill is there... lets totally change the convo" kind of people
    Actually 4Kids no longer owns or dubs the Pokemon anime. And as for a good company to have it, FUNimation would be great.

Except that's the charm of Dia and Pearl.

-No more annoying female characters, but the badassery of the Adventures female characters instead (Krystaaaaal!
    That's just opinion. I personally found Crystal incredibly frustrating and almost mary sueesque in her "I'm the perfect Pokemon trainer" presentation. Not to mention she was a distraction to the plot-line that we'd been reading for ages, becoming a plug-in "WAIT! A new game just came out! Forget Silver and Gold, check out the new playable female!", which instantly made her a lot less appealing. And I personally like Dawn and Misty very much, far more then ANY of the Pokemon Special girls.

The Post-Johto Pokemon Adventure artwork is nice, so I'll give you that one, although I really hated Pre-Hoenn's lazy art that shifted into super deformed every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    IT wouldn't be childish and would actually get more viewers...
    Doubtful. Pokemon has been around for years, changing the formula would have lots of controversy, not to mention making a child's program "less childish" is a very BAD marketing idea.

Why does this thread not just get merged with the other "Special as an anime" thread anyway? Seems kinda pointless to have both.
    Last edited by E-Hero Winged Kuriboh; 28th April 2011 at 3:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Hero Winged Kuriboh View Post
    Doubtful. Pokemon has been around for years, changing the formula would have lots of controversy, not to mention making a child's program "less childish" is a very BAD marketing idea.
    You do realize this thread is discussing what if Pokemon Special had become the Pokemon anime instead of the one we have now, right?

Why does this thread not just get merged with the other "Special as an anime" thread anyway? Seems kinda pointless to have both.
    Probably because this one is discussing what would have happened had we got a Special anime instead of the one we had now, not why we don't have a Special anime. (which is what the other thread is about)
    Last edited by 1dbad; 29th April 2011 at 2:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    You do realize the thread is discussing what if Pokemon Special had become the Pokemon anime instead of the one we have now, right?
    Uh... Yes? Not really getting what you're trying to say here, as what I said is still relevant.

Uh... Yes? Not really getting what you're trying to say here, as what I said is still relevant.
    You're correct that most of what you said is relevant, but one thing in particular was not. This reply right here:
    The reason it's not relevant is because your reply is talking about why it wouldn't be a good idea to replace the current anime with a Special one. This thread (and the person's post you were replying to) are talking about what if the current anime never existed and we got a Special anime instead, which means your reply isn't really relevant for this thread. For example, your points about Pokemon being around for years, that changing the formula would have lots of controversy and that making a child's program less childish isn't a good idea don't work in this context. (since if we got a Pokemon Special anime instead of the one we have now, we would have (most likely) got it when Pokemon was first starting out, it wouldn't be changing the formula of anything but inventing it, and it wouldn't be changing an existing program's (or series) format so it wouldn't be a problem.) Not to mention, you need to remember that Pokemon Special is still for kids both in the US and Japan, so even if it was made into an anime it wouldn't be "less childish" enough to have problems, especially since anything too bad would be changed while making the anime in Japan and since the dub would edit anything else that's "bad" for American children out.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 29th April 2011 at 2:18 AM.

Here's another thing to think about: Would the reception and reputation for Pokemon overall among the general audience in the US and other countries outside Japan be different?

People base their opinion on Pokemon mostly on the Anime so if the Anime was adapted from the Manga, then what?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

^ We'd get less fans that are uptight with the anime keeping up with a certain formula, at least. Or complaints about the lack of levels, TMs, and other game-related stuff. owo

I'm kind of mixed on this regarding characters. While I like most of the Special characters more than the anime's counterparts, I like some anime characters more than their manga versions. Myuutwo and Natane are two examples. Myuutwo's a funny case here. If the Myuutwo in the anime never existed, the Myuutwo in Special would probably never have become the badass that it was in the FRLG saga, since it's personality change was heavily based on the one that appeared in the Japanese version of the first movie. Both Myuutwo's have nice background stories, but the one in the anime was more tragic, in my opinion. Natane is eccentric in both the anime and Special, but she's much crazier in the anime... I liked it.

If the Special manga was adapted into an anime and the current anime never existed, the manga would be slightly different since some anime influences would no longer exist. Yellow's character might have not existed, since the Special Pikachu Edition of the Gen I games wouldn't have existed without the anime. Also, gasp, Game!Red's Pikachu in the GSC games might have not existed either, if you think about it. Going back in time to change one part of the franchise brings about a lot of changes to the other parts of the franchise as it is now... interesting. God damned butterfly effect.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 30th April 2011 at 1:49 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    ^ We'd get less fans that are uptight with the anime keeping up with a certain formula, at least. Or complaints about the lack of levels, TMs, and other game-related stuff. owo

If the Special manga was adapted into an anime and the current anime never existed, the manga would be slightly different since some anime influences would no longer exist. Yellow's character might have not existed, since the Special Pikachu Edition of the Gen I games wouldn't have existed without the anime. Also, gasp, Game!Red's Pikachu in the GSC games might have not existed either, if you think about it. Going back in time to change one part of the franchise brings about a lot of changes to the franchise as it is now... interesting. God damned butterfly effect.
    Personally, the lack of levels, TMs, HMs and item you can use during battle would be for the best.

Also, your second paragraph makes a good point. Though we wouldn't care about Yellow if she didn't exist.

As for Mewtwo, I'm sure Kusaka would've thought of something in the FRLG saga.

Isn't this topic almost the same as the many pokespecial in anime form topic?

Well anyway I wouldn't know how it would become I guess some fillers even thought it doesn't need any. Voices i don't know. About the anime in the U.S. well idk since with 4kids everything is bad dieing is bad they'll sencure Surge guns for sure like they do with Yu Gi Oh and some other anime. Dead will get sencured too. To say they'll sencure more than viz does with the manga. Not sure about the slap (glare) thing in GSC though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingflower View Post
    Isn't this topic almost the same as the many pokespecial in anime form topic?
    Not really, we're just brainstorming as to what would happen IF the Manga was made into an Anime and took the place of the one we know all too well.

We're not demanding that one should be made now but wondering what if one was made from the start.

I can imagine the most violent and risque stuff in Special would be edited in Japan.

I also figured that in the Japanese version, Red would be voiced by Ash's Japanese voice actor, Green would be voiced by Gary's Japanese voice actor, Sapphire by May's, Platinum by Dawn's, and Crys by Marina's. Someone on Youtube suggested Naruto's Japanese voice for Gold, and I actually think that works better than Jimmy's Japanese voice actor.

Note: Just because, for example, Sapphire and May would have the same voice actor in Japan, that doesn't mean they have to sound the same.

... Now where's that Special anime episode list that I made up?
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    I can imagine the most violent and risque stuff in Special would be edited in Japan.

I also figured that in the Japanese version, Red would be voiced by Ash's Japanese voice actor, Green would be voiced by Gary's Japanese voice actor, Sapphire by May's, Platinum by Dawn's, and Crys by Marina's. Someone on Youtube suggested Naruto's Japanese voice for Gold, and I actually think that works better than Jimmy's Japanese voice actor.

Note: Just because, for example, Sapphire and May would have the same voice actor in Japan, that doesn't mean they have to sound the same.

... Now where's that Special anime episode list that I made up?
    That can be true but why would they have the same voice actors they may look the same but they aren't the same person. So it wouln't be that bad if they have different voice actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingflower View Post
    That can be true but why would they have the same voice actors they may look the same but they aren't the same person. So it wouln't be that bad if they have different voice actors.
    I imagined it that way since they're counterparts of the same game characters. Although I will admit that Red from the talking Clefairy manga had a different Japanese voice than Japanese voice of Ash...

Although if the actual anime with Ash was never thought of, they might as well have used the same voice actors, imo. And again, Red, Green, etc. don't necessarily have to sound exactly like Ash, Gary, etc.

Spoiler:

Gotta look for the ones I did for Volumes 8 and 9. That's as far as I've gone.
    Last edited by Rex Kamex; 30th April 2011 at 7:23 PM.

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

I already stated in another thread how I would dread if Red, Green, Sapphire, and Platina were voiced by Ash, Gary, May, and Dawn's actors. It's nothing against the actors as I think they did a good job with the anime ones, I just want them to sound different to distance themselves from their other sides. Red and Green are another story but Sapphire and Platina are nothing like May and Dawn other then their designs and they started with Torchic and Piplup. So them sounding like those two would be dreadful for their characters.

As for Red and Green even they are different. Green is more serious then Gary and more anti social as well while Gary loved to talk about himself and brag. Red is mostly like Ash but the major difference is Red grew up while Ash hasn't and probably never will until the very end. So I wouldn't like for them to be voiced by the same people even if they sounded different you'll probably still be able to hear a little of their voice in them anyway. This is really another reason I don't mind PokeSpecial not being made into a real anime. The Voice actor thing. Though seeing the ones on Youtube are always nice and fun this is mainly because they don't sound like their anime counterparts.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

The only thing I'd be interested in is the voices (for JP) I saw plenty of videos with ideas for them...Hmm I wonder if they'd be similar to the tone I hear in my head?

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

To be fair, I think that if Special were the anime, then it'd be possible that the Japanese voice actors of Ash, Gary, etc. most likely wouldn't be chosen. Them making a different anime would give them a different mindset and let them think of different things. In the same way, I wouldn't expect a Special movie every year either. You know the whole idea of changing one thing in the past and that impacting all sorts of things in the future? That's how I'd feel if they made Special the anime.

I still can defend my stance on me thinking it's fine if, for the most part, Ash's Japanese voice actor is used for Red, etc. But since this is a "what would happen" thread and not a "what should happen thread" (I forgot about this), I won't say anything more about what I'd want unless matt0044 were fine with it.

(Although my episodes list is at least partially how I'd think the episodes should be if there weren't any fillers that changed things.)

As long as they don't sound alike I guess I really don't care. I just don't want Red to sound like Ash, or Platina like Dawn, etc. If there is not even a single trace of those voices in the Special ones that I wouldn't have a problem with it. One of the things I love about Special when I read is it's a nice escape/break from the anime loophole. No disrespect to the anime cause I'm a fan of that too.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

If a Special anime was made by a different company it might be more likely to use different voice actors for the characters as well. To be honest a lot of factors affect who the voice actors would be.

As for me personally, I would prefer different voice actors for all (or at least most) of the characters, since they are all pretty different from their anime counterparts for the most part and I'd like to create distance between the series. However, if the anime voice actors actually did a good job I suppose I wouldn't mind some of the anime voice actors returning. To be honest I'd really just need to see what kind of voice the anime voice actors would do for the characters before deciding if I'd be okay with it or not though. XD

What about manga-only characters with no anime counterpart though? :3 Who would voice Blue, Yellow and Emerald?

@_@ I hate this. I can picture voices for them but I can't put a voice actor for them.
    For voice actors I can only think of two for the Spe characters @_@ (but I'm a bit dizzy right now)

Ruby- Mamoru Miyano
    Pearl- Tatsuhisa Suzuki (same as Barry's JP but whenever I read it I picture Pearl's voice sounding JUST like that, but in english =/ maybe a little too hyper but I think he could pull him off)

And these are the only two I can think of right now @_@ burgh my brain feels paralyzed..

Also I wonder about the Gym Leaders? Would they have the same va? I quite like the GL's va's for the anime (except for Falkner, he's much younger in the manga when they first introduce him. I also realize that IF they would use the same va's for Gym Leaders that Ruby's and Dent's would overlap. Oh well More Miyano never hurt anyone)

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    What about manga-only characters with no anime counterpart though? :3 Who would voice Blue, Yellow and Emerald?
    Yellow would be tricky, given her secret, but I think a woman who can do a boy's voice that sounds a bit girlish. Blue would be voiced by Veronica Taylor in English (it'd be a good match, if you ask me).

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast