Thread: How can you tell if a pokemon card is fake or not?

Default How can you tell if a pokemon card is fake or not?

I'm in ths group of people who play the pokemon TCG but since fake cards aren't aloud I really need to know how to tell a fake card from a real one.

Please help
    'While I live I want to shine I want to prove that I exist'~Grovyle PMD3

'Even in the darkest of times... there is hope'~Ignitus TLoS: DotD

Between Time and Darkness Prologue is now up
    See my current and future fanfics here

In general, text and pictures will be thinner, with noticeably lower-quality colors. In the older cards, the pokedex description could be a dead giveaway. Take a look at this example:

Notice how on the left-hand card, the energy symbols are shaded to show depth, as compared to the ones on the right-hand card.

Platinum FC: 4169-2395-1348
    Soul Silver FC: 1334-6458-8950
    Black FC: 4169-4534-8784

Adding onto that...sometimes the text could be thicker and more to the bottom.
    Click Jirachi to join the amazing Ever Grande City forums! You won't regret joining it!
    I've claimed this Pokemon.

Well, I noticed that the X sign is different for Level X's. Which is terrible because that means my Floatzel GL Level X is fake. (Well, I knew that for a long time, but still) Oh well, I'm never going to do an official TCG battle, so I'll just keep it as my only Level X.

Plus the Energy symbols look weird, like Lucario11 said.
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

What i do is slightly try to rip them. I pried a real and fake Pokemon card to only notice a thick, black layer in the middle of the real Pokemon card (almost like a super thin sandwich). The fake one on the other the other hand, looked like some sort of car-bored. So when you slightly rip on a one that feels durable, its real. But if you rip a more delicate one, its fake. you also gotta watch out for typos, uneven cuts, little specs on the card and crazy stuff. Like a have the fake Latios card. First of all, it was called, Lation (even though that name sounds cool than Latios) and i had a move called Luster Purge. Yes, well guess what? That move did 120 damage and required a grass, electric and Fighting energy. That's crazy! So yeah, that's it. hope this helps! Oh i forgot to mention the the back of the card is more lighter and the energy symbols are more bigger on the fakes.
    Last edited by 2D Thom; 12th March 2011 at 3:56 PM.
    Welcome to SPPf! Where everything's made up and the points don't matter! Yup, the points are like...any argument in this forum!

I have claimed Wooper!

I go by the shinyness of the card. Also the coloration is important; compare the back of one card to another, and fake cards are either darker or lighter, I forget.
    DON'T underestimate mew-mew power. Otherwise, me and my fleet of awesome people will KEEEEEL you.

Ok, thanks everyone
    'While I live I want to shine I want to prove that I exist'~Grovyle PMD3

'Even in the darkest of times... there is hope'~Ignitus TLoS: DotD

Between Time and Darkness Prologue is now up
    See my current and future fanfics here

My friend had this fake pikachu card so i burned it at a bonfire and my friend was happy o.0
    and you could already tell it was fake because the text was more in bold than usual. plus the pokedex entry wasn't from any pokemon game. plus he told me he remembers buying it at a flea market along with other fake pokemon cards for only 3 dollars. then he found out they where fake when some of the art wasnt completly accurate (pokemon were miscoloured, like pikachu being green) so yeah at his birthday party we decided to burn them all at a bonfire, and we started screaming really loud. plus i am a girl, so dont ask me why i was at a b-day party with alot of boys. o.0
    Fan of Pokemon and South Park!

I have two fake cards. You can tell because you can see through them a little bit. Real cards you can't. However, this was ten years ago so things may have changed.
    Friend Codes
    White - 3353 3369 1559 Paul
    Black - 4384 1300 1095 Paul

Pokedex Trades

For now, I am still on my long extended vacation.

PM me if interested in making a trade.

Use the light test to detect fake Pokémon cards. If you hold your card up to a window or light source and see the design on the back clearly, chances are you're holding a fake Pokémon card.

Check for unusual backgrounds or images. Early sets of Japanese Pokémon have the Pocket Monsters graphic on the back, but you'll find many fakes substitute the English Pokémon backing instead.

it's just one of those things you can tell...
    most of the time i can tell by the shade of the yellow around it and the flexibility of the card.
    Signature removed due to Rule Breaking- check this: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=430446

Fakes rip really easily as well.

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

i recently bought some uber cheap cards at a market (i know stupid but hey i decided to trust the 80+ year old Scottish man who was selling them)

anyhoo stupidly i didn't look at the packaging for 1 and failed to realise it said '2098 world championships decks' on the back there was spelling mistakes spelling 'every' as 'euery'

my first sign of them being fake was my machoke card which was named machole, fearing the inevitable i turned towards the serebii.net cardex

after looking the cards up on the card dex i realised just how stupid i ended up being as the information was WAAAYYY off, all the cards from 2 of the 3 items i bought had hp ranging from 100-800 and retreat values 6 times greater then what was featured on the cardex.

the booster pack i bought was the closest to legit bunch of fakes i found with 9 out of 10 cards matching the images and information in the cardex except for 1 which had a completely different attack then the site scan.

quality goes some of the fakes are really well made using good card stock(fakes being a slight thinner grade of paper compared to a legitimate card which is closer to a business card thickness) and printing techniques to emulate the originals save for a few which had noticeable blurring on text and images and slightly lighter/darker colours from a duplicate in another pack they were pretty impressively made.

so the moral of this story is if the packaging has windows (cut out sections to see the top cards) check the hp if its in the high 100-800 range the pack is fake, also check for spelling errors

i hope my experence will help you all in avoiding paying for counterfiet cards.

Thanks

EDIT: I Mentioned urls being fake i have discovered that i was wrong turns out what i thought was a fake url was infact a legitimate one used for earlier sets 'go-pokemon' the newer boosters use the official site pokemon.com so i apologise if i have mislead anyone
    Last edited by Mitzeh; 5th May 2011 at 12:20 AM.
    ~Pokemon White Australian user~
    FC: Mitzeh -{ 0905-2334-0013 }-

Youtube channel
    PotionhorderAu <-- newbie at youtube-ing :P

Fake cards... the good old days when buyin a pack from an asian store for 2$AUS and having every pokemon with 1hp consecutively to 50hp <3, and also the billions and trillions of spelling mistakes
    I know I am real...
    but i don't know if you are.....
    or my own illusion....
    is the world I live in real......

White FC 2580-2624-1554
    Looking for:
    Dakrai
    Shaymin
    Arceus

Much to offer ^^

There is a lady on youtube who has a whole series of guides, I'm gonna put a link up for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmLBc_LMtOY
    She tells you quite a few ways to spot a fake.
    ___Pokémon Y___

hey, my Charizard card my mum bought for me is fake. you can see they photo copied it as the back shines through and it is a shiney but you can see the shine spots where the photo copied it. =-(
    One day you will be released in a peaceful and more distant time. What would it be like? I wonder if- I have no regrets. My journey has been good. I served a beautiful queen and you and I shared many adventures. Those memories will always be with me.
    I have officially claimed Luxray!

Take a card with the same artwork and compare it with a fake card, for example mewtwo shiny Blue mewtwo instead of purple FAKE green mewtwo insted? REAL its kinda hard but you can try to identify.

If you have a pack, then you can take a bad common and rip it, if it's real then it'll tear cleanly.

And when a card has the wrong type? i have a electric-mewtwo and a poison-treecko

Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    And when a card has the wrong type? i have a electric-mewtwo and a poison-treecko
    Is it Delta-Type?
    Pardon my grammar, I'm a young Dutchman.

It is delta Species. This are my weird cards:
    Fighting-type shiny blastoise, Delta Species
    Poison-type Treecko, Delta species
    Electric-type Kabuto, Delta species
    Electric-type Mewtwo, Delta species
    Grass-type Gulpin, ???
    Shiny-grass type Swalot, Crystal Guardians
    and Shiny-normal type Igglybuff, Crystal Guardians

Seen the Delta Species Cards all have the wrong type, i think they are fake. Are they?

Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    It is delta Species. This are my weird cards:
    Fighting-type shiny blastoise, Delta Species
    Poison-type Treecko, Delta species
    Electric-type Kabuto, Delta species
    Electric-type Mewtwo, Delta species
    Grass-type Gulpin, ???
    Shiny-grass type Swalot, Crystal Guardians
    and Shiny-normal type Igglybuff, Crystal Guardians

Seen the Delta Species Cards all have the wrong type, i think they are fake. Are they?
    No, Delta Species are real.

Sorry for making this discussion in the wrong thread!
    Pardon my grammar, I'm a young Dutchman.

Then i think the printer had a delirium

I'd like to do a small guide on how to tell the difference between fakes and real pokemon cards (Mainly because alot of people are giving terrible advice as is, just keep things simple folks, what helps you tell fakes for others doesn't help for pokemon cards).

1. Text: pokemon has a specialty type text which is hard to manipulate professionally (hence why they use it) making this the number 1 tip off
    2. Energy:if it looks larger or smaller or a different colour
    3. Paint: just look at the paint quaility between real pokemon cards and fakes, backs of pokemon cards are the greatest tip offs in telling the difference between the high grade fakes and the real deal.
    4. Small details: such as weakness, resistance, where things are placed on the card, and it's relativity to size, even if a miss print pokemon card has things jumbled up, everything is to detail in a sense, that's the real difference in telling the difference between the real thing and the fakes.
    Last edited by ven?; 19th June 2013 at 8:27 AM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).