Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some obscure/unique strategies you've used?

Default What are some obscure/unique strategies you've used?

This is "unique" for me because I've never seen anybody do it in about 400 battles;

In Triples I use a Typhlosion who is Choice Scarf'd up and I only use Heat Wave. People assume he's going to Erupt, so they often scramble to use weaker priority moves on him or less-than-effective moves to lower his health. Often, they get him into the Blaze range (1.5x) and with Drought (and Helping Hand if it's available) it can kill all three opponents usually.

Ehhehheh, I've got a list.

The first time I ever did something unique (and pretty stupid, but hey, it worked) was when I had the crazy idea to slap a Scarf on a Swampert. I know. Kinda silly. But the thing is, nobody ever expects a Swampert to be that fast (Scarfed Jolly Swampert speed ties with Hidden Power (Ice) Azelf and Starmie), so it got tons of surprise kills on things like Breloom and Celebi. Swampert generally doesn't have any business with a Scarf, so literally nobody ever expects it.

The next time, far less successful, was my infamous Calm Mind Dusknoir. Well, not really infamous, nobody's ever really heard of it. Anyways, that was a terrible idea that went nowhere.

So after that I tried Choice Specs Gyarados, which was funny, but also pretty terrible. A while after that the 5th gen rolled around and I ran out of terrible ideas. I've tried a few things since then, including using things like Alomomola and Fraxure in OU, making a Castform Baton Pass team (success!), and laddering in Ubers with a NU team. But now I'm seriously out of bad ideas. Someone needs to unban BH so I can get some more.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

I've tried scarf cloyster and breloom. They are so terrible. I've realized there's a reason why nobody uses it much. It's just so bad. I'm never going to use those things again.
    "If you're not going to lie, at least tell the truth."

I've tried to use some, but they failed due to poor defenses, or holes I did not forsee.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Not such an obscure tactic but I have tended to run sub on thing that don't often have it. In NU choiced Sawk tends to run riot and forces switches everywhere so by putting in sub you can easily force a switch and get a free sub up to protect you from harm and sweep through a team. I have also done this in my favoured RU with Durant that often runs life orb with hone claws but again a free sub is easily obtained to avoid things like a status or other nasty things like leech seed.
    Player of RU mainly --- Follow me on Twitter: @tbrady94_

I've got quite a few mostly to blend with my mono-team project.
        Spoiler:- Smeargle-Regigigas Synergy:
        Spoiler:- The INVINCIBLE Snorlax:
    Aside from that, "' ' for ubers!" videos are always silly, never true but entertaining. A team of Spinda all only using Assist working off of a Smeargle with Superpower, V-create, Draco Meteor, and another attack that lowers the user's stats will be sure to put a happy grin on your face.

I hope this thread grows, I really like this discussion but I honestly doubt it will go far.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Max S.Def Scrafty with Substitute and Bulk Up. He has swept a lot of pokes, since he is so hard to get through. And his Shed Skin ability makes him an even greater beast, since it can absorb Toxic, Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp and such things. Truly a great Pokemon
    If you are looking for XY Wi-Fi battles I'm always ready so just give me a shout!

3DS FC: 3454 0728 9992. Trainer name: Nikolaj.

Trinity League Badges:

Crobat with Curse and a White Herb

Well, I used an Eviolite Porygon2 with Icy Wind and Magic Coat in Doubles. It works pretty darn well, but I need to get better at using Magic Coat.

Spoiler:- Because Gliscor pisses me off:
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Some set I run was having my mienshao with a mild nature and with
    Ability:Inner Focus or Regenerator
    -high jump kick
    -Aura Sphere
    -U-turn
    -Accrobatics/Fake out
    Item:Flying gem or fighting gem
    You see it always pissed me off how Mienshao is the ONLY unovian Pokemon that knows Aura Sphere and no one even thinks to use it. Mienshao has decent Sp.ATK but this uses a somewhat mixed set but dosn't sacrifice all his power and speed. I have won so many matches because it comes down to me and Mienshao aganist a Pokemon with high physcial def but he can just crush them especially since he has all around god attack stats.
        Spoiler:- Don't read...:

My Pokemon are my Nakama... I'll be by their side just like they have been for me...

The weirdest thing I've done is a crobat or Aerodactyl with a Power Herb and Sky attack.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

When Chansey was UU for a while I used Choice Band Porygon Z. With adaptability it hits about as hard as Banded Heracross Close Combat. So my opponent would send in Chansey, get hit for like 60%, send in Gligar or Slowbro, and get 2HKOed with rocks. It just walked over stall teams because no one expected it, and even when they did it hit like a bomb.

CB Return vs...

252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 350-414 (49.71 - 58.8%)
    4 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 382-450 (59.5 - 70.09%)
    252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 124-146 (37.12 - 43.71%)
    252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 180-212 (45.68 - 53.8%)
    252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 174-206 (43.06 - 50.99%)
    252 HP / 224+ Def Mew: 194-230 (48.01 - 56.93%)
    252 HP / 252+ Def Blastoise: 192-226 (53.03 - 62.43%)

Of course Porygon Z is faster than these Pokemon and doesn't take much damage from them. It can also slap Dark Pulse and Ice Beam on as well since those moves beat ghosts / OHKOs Gligar.

ok I'm not sure how many have tried this but Life orb imposter Ditto with tailwind support all you need is a pokemon who's gonna die right off the bat who has tailwind and is gonna be able to let it loose before it kills over once its dead and tailwind is up pull out ditto you'll be faster then the enemy you'll have extra damage and access to all the moves letting you sweep better if you use this tactic on the right pokemon its proven to be fairly deadly as far as my testing has gone

This gimmick workd VERY well:
    Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Hasty/Naive Nature, Multiscale
    252 HP, 236 Speed, 20 Sp/Defense
    - Dragon Tail
    - Hurricane
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Thunder/Thunder Wave

Yes it works. After dat paralyze, youve got a good chance to confuse. Then they almost never attack and I rack up damage woth Dragon Tail and ebrry hazards. This set works great in rain especially.

edit: viewing the contents of this post have been proven to cause great anger and has been edited for the safety of your heath. sorry about that
    black 2 fc: 2753-1852-9535
    dwfs i own:

Quote Originally Posted by samrules4 View Post
    I always use an azumarill set that is completely unique

some people think azumarill is only good with a choice band, yet i beg to differ:

Azumarill @ quick claw
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua jet
    -Ice punch
    -Brick break

a lot of the time people switch expecting the choice band when I surprise them with a different attack

I'm sure this set helps me far more than a choice band set ever could
    There are so many reasons why using a Quick Claw is simply wrong. For one, it's a terrible idea in the first place. A 20% chance to move first means you will lose 80% of the time, and even more if he doesn't get the Claw to activate at just the right moment. Which brings me to the second point. If, by some miracle, you DO get the Claw to activate AND actually make a difference, your opponent will be enraged, and for a very good reason, that you would use some ******** cheap tactic like this. In my honest opinion, Quick Claw should fall under hax items and anyone who uses it should be branded a demonic troll, caged in a sewer, and slowly eaten by rats.

noimnotmadbro

Quote Originally Posted by _Sylveon_ View Post
    This gimmick workd VERY well:
    Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Hasty/Naive Nature, Multiscale
    252 HP, 236 Speed, 20 Sp/Defense
    - Dragon Tail
    - Hurricane
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Thunder/Thunder Wave

Yes it works. After dat paralyze, youve got a good chance to confuse. Then they almost never attack and I rack up damage woth Dragon Tail and ebrry hazards. This set works great in rain especially.
    Funny, it just looks like standard parashuffler Dnite to me.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

I always use an azumarill set that is completely unique

some people think azumarill is only good with a choice band, yet i beg to differ:

Azumarill @ quick claw
    -Waterfall
    -Aqua jet
    -Ice punch
    -Brick break

a lot of the time people switch expecting the choice band when I surprise them with a different attack

I'm sure this set helps me far more than a choice band set ever could
    Isnt this basically the Life Orb set but without the benifit of Life Orb and Sperpower ._. And dont you think Quick Claw is a little impractical._.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyo/seven View Post
    Isnt this basically the Life Orb set but without the benifit of Life Orb and Sperpower ._. And dont you think Quick Claw is a little impractical._.
    That's true. It's not completely unique at all, it's just a weaker, more impractical version of the Life Orb / Band set...

I don't know what i expected....

If my pokemon are so bad then I should be losing battles left and right. HOW THE HECK AM I WINNING BATTLES IF EVERY POKEMON I POST ON THIS WEBSITE IS SO GOD DAMN WEAK?

If my pokemon are so bad then I should be losing battles left and right. HOW THE HECK AM I WINNING BATTLES IF EVERY POKEMON I POST ON THIS WEBSITE IS SO GOD DAMN WEAK?
    Simple, the people you're playing are 9 year olds who still think Charizard is the coolest thing ever. Poke around a simulator like Pokemon Showdown! and you will find people who actually know what they're doing.

Probably a combination of playing people with less experience and luck. That Azumarill is literally a weaker version of the standard Azumarill ._. And you have switched the benifit of a Life Orb or Choice Band for a basically useless item that completely relys on luck ._.

Well, using Prankster + Roar + Copycat in Riolu caused many forfeits and winnings for me

Ghost...

Spoiler:- Haunter & the BadBoys:

I enjoy using Acupressure Shuckle, usually as a joke and just for fun. Surprisingly, I manage to get sweeps, but it's kind of rare.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-37647207
    I saved a replay of it: a 6-0 Acupressure Shuckle sweep. Real fun to use.
    But, Acupressure Shuckle is completely shut down by Taunt and Trick. It's also hard to pull off a sweep when you've been Leech Seeded. All of the sweeps I've ever pulled off with it are only because my opponent lacks Taunt and Trick.

(I like to have a team of only one Shuckle to prevent phazing and make hazards useless.)
    I've also tried using Flame Charge Toxic/Flame Orb Flareon with Flame Charge/Facade/Rest/Forgot last move. It's somewhat good.

my roserade runs a sleep powder+substitute+giga drain+sludge bomb set. Hold wide lens and ev it in special defense and its pretty useful for coming back from near death.
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast