Thread: 5th Gen In-game Team

Default 5th Gen In-game Team

Hey if you're taking the time to read this I'd like to thank you for your time and I'd love some critiques on my team.

Pokemon: Simisage
    Ability: Overgrow
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, and 4 HP
    Item: None
    Move: Crunch
    Move: Seed Bomb
    Move: Acrobatics
    Move: Brick Break

Here's the first guy that I always lead off with whenever I enter a battle. The reason for this is that he's very fast and strong and he has great type coverage. Not to mention I for some reason very rarely see NPCs use fire types as their first Pokemon, I don't know if it's just me or what. Downsides to him are that if he does meet a fire type or a flying type he can't pull off a win easily unless they have a secondary type he can abuse. I've been thinking about getting something to cover those, maybe teaching him a rock type move, but he can't learn stone edge, so when I do meet flying and Fire Types I'm often forced to switch out. Also the Simisage I currently have only has Guts because DW elemental monkeys are hard to find.

Pokemon: Gengar
    Ability Levitate
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SPAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Item: Wide Lens
    Move: Shadow Ball
    Move: Focus Blast
    Move: Substitute
    Move: Disable

Alright here's the big gun of my team, the mega destroyer, the... well you know. Gengar is AMAZING In-game, with this set I'm consistently sweeping the entire elite 4 and champion at level 85 without even breaking a sweat. Unfortunately any Pokemon that manages to be faster than him or survives his initial attack and manages to use a psychic type or dark type attack absolutely wrecks him. Which is why I decided to go for the wide lens to help focus blast not miss because it's devastating when he misses and they use a crippling attack. I also have the sub + disable combo so if I know that they can survive my initial attack, like Caitlyn's Musharna for instance because it's a defensive tank, then I can sub and disable the powerful move they were gonna use against me. As for disadvantages well its pretty much what I said earlier about him being so fragile, also his mortal kryptonite is Trick Room, that move pretty always leads to Gengar fainting. And without the Black Sludge for heals it tends to turn into kill or be killed for him. Also I chose Modest because honestly when you're Gengar not much can out speed you in-game and OH MY ARCEUS THAT DAMAGE.

Pokemon: Charizard
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 252 SP Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Item: Charcoal
    Move: Flamethrower
    Move: Air Slash
    Move: Dragon Pulse
    Move: Blast Burn

Well here we go, poor Charizard doesn't have too much going for him, miraculously he still manages to take down or at least severely damage big threats like common Dragon types that champions have and he's a personal favorite for me to hit hard with Blast Burn when I know everything is taking a turn for the worse. It doesn't matter to me though, he's one of my most favorite Pokemon and I don't care about how good or not he is. I carry the charcoal and modest nature to try to get as much as I can to inflict the big damages with flamethrower. You may ask "Why not Fire Blast?" I've so far missed twice on camera with 95% moves and almost lost because of it. Because of that I only use 100% moves, unless I'm not in-game or the amount of damages from moves like Blast Burn severely compensates. As for disadvantages... well if I were to ever decide what the biggest mistakes that Game Freak has made were; it would be the marshes in the Sinnoh region were you get stuck all of the time and making Charizard Fire/Flying instead of Fire/Dragon. Also his type coverage isn't too great.

Pokemon: Venasaur
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 176HP, 80Def, 252 SP Atk
    Item: Miracle Seed
    Move: Giga Drain
    Move: Sludge Bomb
    Move: Hidden Power (Fire)
    Move: Frenzy Plant

Alright so what I was trying to go for here was making Venasaur into a Special Tank, that way I could have 4 sweepers to 2 tanks instead of 5-1. I chose Miracle Seed because I don't know items that well and I thought damages would be good for the time being. Also I actually don't have this guy bred yet because of the HP Fire, I'll be seeing an RNGer about getting one with good IVs and HP Fire like that. The one I have currently has all of these but HP Fire. As for disadvantages for this set that it is also weak to fire and flying types as well as the dreaded Psychic types. The reasoning for the moves is basically the same as Charizard seeing as this isn't a sun team.

Pokemon: Raichu
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 SP Atk, 4 HP
    Item: Magnet
    Move: Thunderbolt
    Move: Hidden Power Ice
    Move: Substitute
    Move: Nasty Plot

Another case of a move I don't have because I need to see an RNGer soon, instead of HP Ice I've been running Brick Break so I've had to split my IVs between Atk and SPAtk. However this is the desired moveset I want because nasty plot set ups are good with the speed it has on Timid. And HP Ice also takes care of ground types that try to hit Raichu. Disadvantages is that getting a chance to do a nasty plot set up isn't very common in-game. Raichu also takes care of the many flying type problems I have with this team. I also went with Magnet because I don't know items that well having started playing Pokemon about half a year ago. Actually I didn't know what a Seviper was until just today, but that's off topic.

Pokemon: Poliwrath
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    Item: King's Rock
    Move: Waterfall
    Move: Poison Jab
    Move: Ice Punch
    Move: Brick Break

Alright so here's my main tank, this guy survived two outrages from Alder's Druddigon in a row because I had to switch into him while he was about 5 levels under it and ice'd it into oblivion. I personally think that's pretty awesome. As for the moves I decided Ice Punch for Anti-Flying and Dragons and Poison Jab for Anti-Grass. Brick Break and Waterfall are mostly for the STAB and I don't use Circle Throw because inaccuracy and I don't really ever need to force them to switch out with that type coverage. Also King's Rock is really useful with the flinch chance. Also Water Absorb so I can switch into him whenever I expect a water type attack, so I can use Charizard as bait.

Alright so general wrap up: I know you've probably noticed that all of these Pokemon are from 1st Gen except Simisage. This is because even though I never really played the games until half a year ago I actually used to read the manga as a kid so I drew heavy inspiration from Red's team. Simisage is just there because when I first saw it I vowed to have it at any cost. That's the end of it, please comment with your critiques and any ideas for this team that you have. Thanks!
    [CENTER]
    Credit goes to FairyWitch for the banner. Click the Banner for my X and Y walkthroughs. Dream Code for AC town is 5900-3931-5736

Rock Slide > Acrobatics on Simisage. It handles Fire, flying, Bug and Ice types, which all threaten you.

Never use Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant or any Hyper Beam-esque moves. Flamethrower will do more damage across the 2 turns it uses up and Giga Drain deals the same amount of damage but heals Venusaur along the way.
    Focus Blast > Blast Burn on Charizard. It has shaky accuracy, but allows you to take on most Rock types that resist your STABs and own you in general,
    Leech Seed/Growth > Frenzy Plant on Venusaur. Leech Seed helps with tanking, but Growth allows you to deal more damage, and so, heal more HP back.

Alternatively you could go for a mixed set with Venusaur:

Venusaur
    Mild
    Overgrow
    -Giga Drain
    -Earthquake
    -HP [Ice]
    -Growth

Earthquake handles Fire and Steel types while HP [Ice] handles Dragons.

Bulk Up > Poison Jab on Poliwrath. Ice Punch can handle Grass types while only having a marginal drop in power. Bulk Up allows you to tank better.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 6th May 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Arceus493
    Hamburgers in 3D and Pika Nipples?
    aka Aurawarrior8

I agree that Poliwrath can be a better tank with Bulk Up. I also never imagined to use Focus Blast on Charizard, I didn't even know that it could learn it. Splitting is an interesting idea with Venasaur although it might make the EVs more complicated. And I never knew Simisage could learn Rock Slide. That was really helpful, thanks!
    [CENTER]
    Credit goes to FairyWitch for the banner. Click the Banner for my X and Y walkthroughs. Dream Code for AC town is 5900-3931-5736

Adding onto Aurath8's rate, if you get rid of Acrobatics on Simisage, give it a Muscle Band to boost the power of all its physical moves.

Generally there are better items to use than Charcoal/Magnet/Mystic Water/Miracle Seed/etc as these items typically only boost the power of one of your moves. You can give Charizard Wise Glasses, Leftovers or an Expert Belt. Wise Glasses boosts the power of all its Special moves (ie all of your moves), Leftovers provides you with some healing and Expert Belt powers up all your super-effective moves, and given you have a wide variety of attacks on Charizard, you're likely to score many super-effective hits. I'd be inclined to go with Expert Belt.

You can give Venusaur Leftovers, Black Sludge or a Big Root. Leftovers is a typical way of healing, but if you're running Lefties on Charizard you might want to run Black Sludge on Venusaur due to the physical limit of Leftovers you can have, especially in-game. Big Root pairs up nicely with Giga Drain and Leech Seed (if you run the latter > Frenzy Plant), giving you more HP through recovery.

As for Raichu, Wise Glasses would work well if you're not using it on any other Pokemon. It further boosts your Special Attack. However you might find this to be a waste alongside Nasty Plot, so Leftovers is another option, which helps Raichu a lot as it replenishes the HP you lose from using Substitute, and Raichu is rather frail so it would come in handy.

With no Speed investment at all, Poliwrath is too slow for you to try and capitalise on flinches imo, so get rid of Kings Rock and give Poliwrath an Expert Belt or Muscle Band, which boost the power of your moves for super-effective hits and boost your Attack, respectively.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Zhanton, I often have problems with the items because while the games like to spout about how good water is against fire, it seems to rarely ever acknowledge the items if they're even collectable before you beat the Elite Four.
    [CENTER]

• Venusaur @ Black Sludge
    • Overgrow
    • Calm
    • 252 Hp / 248 SpD / 8 Spe

~ Giga Drain ~
    ~ Leech Seed ~
    ~ Toxic / Sleep Powder / Hidden Power [Ice] ~
    ~ Sleep Powder / Substitute ~

simisage has access to rock slide, so you know. it can use that instead of acrobatics.
    porygon-2

And yes, he is a 13-year boy that make you look like a 8-year boy that like to trolling people...
    lol