Thread: What is the best move and why?

Default What is the best move and why?

In your opinion?

To me it is a group of 15 PP 95 power moves: Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Surf. Easily accessible, and a good amount of PP for a 95 power move. I'm sure I missed some.

Keep in mind that I do not play competitively so these are my opinion based off of the regular game against AI.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Stealth Rock is hands down the best move in the game. Any competitive player knows why. Even in-game it can be useful, especially against Aaron and Flint.

Earthquake is by far the best move, most of the teams has at least one Pokemon with this move.

100 of power and 100 of Accuracy is somewhat precious, plus ground is very effective against 5 types.

Psyshock. It gives hard hitting Special Attack focused Psychics liek Mewtwo the abilitiy to wreck Sp. Defensive walls like Blissey.

Aura Sphere.
    It's special type makes it a lot better for fighting physically defensive-based pokemon, namely most rock and steel types.
    It also is super effective against 5 types, most of which tend to have higher defence than special defence (except some ice types)
    Finally, it's 90 power, 20 PP and most importantly is always accurate!

Plus, it's pretty much the Pokemon version of Kamehameha. Come on, now? Who doesn't want to do that?
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboy View Post
    Aura Sphere.
    It's special type makes it a lot better for fighting physically defensive-based pokemon, namely most rock and steel types.
    It also is super effective against 5 types, most of which tend to have higher defence than special defence (except some ice types)

Plus, it's pretty much the Pokemon version of Kamehameha. Come on, now? Who doesn't want to do that?
    I was thinking more along the lines of Hadoken.

Spore. A 100% accurate sleep inducer is always useful regardless of whether you're playing competitively, or in-game. Makes catching things that much easier as well.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    To me it is a group of 15 PP 95 power moves: Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Surf. Easily accessible, and a good amount of PP for a 95 power move. I'm sure I missed some.
    Don't forget Ice Beam and Psychic! I'm sure they fit right in with those three.

From a competitive standpoint, definitely Stealth Rocks. I think it's much more useful than any other entry hazard and can really destroy your opponent's team.

Other than that, I absolutely love V-Create on my assist gimmick team.

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboy View Post
    Aura Sphere.

*looks at avatar*

Hmmm...I wonder why you picked that move
    Anyways, for someone who actually thinks stealth rock is useless and never plays competitive, why is it the best move?

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

U turn and Volt turn esque moves.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Anyways, for someone who actually thinks stealth rock is useless and never plays competitive, why is it the best move?
    Because no other move has the potential to strip a Pokemon of up to 50% of its HP just for switching in with a single layer of entry hazards. No other move single handedly knocked Pokemon out of higher tiers into lower ones due to how damning a weakness to Stealth Rock can be.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Swords Dance: Combine it with a STAB-priority-move and you an unstoppable killing machine, great move distribution (unlike Nasty Plot), and badass name.

heat wave is a personal favorite: hits all only opposing pokemon in front of the user, 100 power, %90 accuracy (even so, i barely miss when i use it) and a %10 chance of burning the opponent.
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

There is none, it's all situational. The the move that can deal the most possible damage is Rollout.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    There is none, it's all situational. The the move that can deal the most possible damage is Rollout.
    Oh come now, don't be THAT guy.

Shell Smash. -2, +6 for a total of a move that gives an automatic +4. Lets even extremely weak Pokemon using it set up an easy sweep.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    Oh come now, don't be THAT guy.
    But I love being THAT guy.

Okay, serious answer, Stealth Rock; it can be very game changing and has affected how useful some Pokémon are.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Psystrike.

Priority moves and 95 power 100 accury moves. And Aura Sphere for the same reasons Greekboy said.
    Pardon my grammar, I'm a young Dutchman.

Psystrike is sort of limited by the fact only Mewtwo can learn it...

Stealth Rock is a good answer, but that's only been around since Gen. 4. How about Earthquake? Been around forever, as far as I know, 100 power and accuracy, and super effective against at least 1/4 of the types at any given time.

That's not bad. Ice Beam would be a second favorite, as whether or not a Pokemon learns Ice Beam can prevent it from being Dragon bait.

Or! What about the move that removes Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin? I'll bet lots of Pokemans were moved up based on their ability to spin away entry hazards.

Stealth Rock is the serious answer though...

Not the best but Ancientpower is a nice move. If your lucky it raises all the stats!

At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

SURF ALL THE WAY!
    or ice beam

What in the world was GameFreak smoking when they made Scald??? That move is a jerk, with its 30% chance to burn and decent base power. It's the perfect move for walls and stuff. Definitely the second best move after Stealth Rock.

Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, and Spore. All evil moves that should be cleansed from the game.
    If the dark is just a thought, then the light is in your mind
    The lies we tell ourselves ruin the world with time
    Did you feel the way I felt?
    Did you kneel the way I knelt?
    Or did you look up and stare, waiting for your acts of prayer?
    Oh, won't you listen to reason?

10 hour ear orgasm, courtesy of Gamefreak

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Judgement!... JK.
    I'm awesome

stealth rock or rapid spin. or you could say something along the lines of quiver dance but if your factoring in distribution then thats not really true... same with tail glow (causes a pokemon to be uber). substitute or spore maybe? shell smash/baton pass? bullet punch... close combat maybe? gah such a list too many broken moves