0 0%
  • Trip

8 5.44%
  • Bianca

5 3.40%
  • Stephan

2 1.36%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite of Ash's rival so far?

Default Who is your favorite of Ash's rival so far?

Now since we have been through 5 generations of the Pokémon anime, there have been a large cast of rivals whether it be main rivals, secondary rivals, League rivals, Grand Festival rivals, etc. And while I would love to be able to fit all of them in one poll, I could only use up to 10 options. So what I have decided to do is create 3 different threads. One for the League rivals, one for Ash's main rivals and the other for the sidekicks' rivals. This would be a good way of getting more of your favorite rivals as an option on the poll and while that still doesn't mean I'll be able to get every rival as their own option on the poll, this will certainly help to put most of the fan favorites as their own options.

So this is for your favorite rival of Ash's.
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 11th May 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Shinji .

i liked Gary and i always thought there was much more they could've done with trip but I found Paul the most interesting.

I voted for Trip. Unlike most people I thought his rivalry with Ash was better than Ash's rivalry with Paul or Gary.

Gary was good because he was the original, had a reason the be a rival and also was was a decent battler.
    Paul was basically Gary but clashed even more with Ash, was even better at battling and was just interesting in General.
    Trip seemed good at first. Over confident because he beat a nerfed Pikachu. Howvere as the seires went on he bacme more useless and did less and less. The only decent pokemon we saw that he had was his serperior.

So really, I think Paul was the best. I hope they have a guy like Paul next Gen except he is nice to his pokemon and ties into the Legendary. It would be interesting.

Paul he was the most interesting rival in my option with his battle style and type of pokemon.
    Favourites

Gary because even though he was a jerk, he actually pushed Ash to try harder and he ended up being a friend after he ended his rivalry with Ash.

Trip doesn't count as a rival silly, Ash and him don't even really have a rivalry that much.

My favorite is Paul, he really pushed Ash with different types of battling skills and emotions, it was good.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Gary and then Trip.

Gary was the rival, but it went deeper than that. They grew up together, the two of them are almost like brothers so they knew each other extremely well. Not to mention Gary always knew how to push Ash in just the right way, which was something he needed back then. Gary was a major driving force for Ash and part of the reason he has become the trainer he is today.

Trip was somewhat of a prodigy. He seemed to always be slightly ahead of Ash, despite the major gap in experience. He reminded people that no matter how good you think you are at something there can always be someone better. Though he wasn't without fault and he learned a lot more from Ash than the other way around. In this sense I think he was good for Ash, he gave him a reason to put that experience to good use.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

I would vote Paul due to how much he pushed Ash but to be honest I really like gary not just because he was funny and was more talk than action when it came to battling but also because he literally matured over time. You don't usually see this in the show considering there's lots of resetting.

Put together by me.

Paul, because he really pushed Ash to his limits and appeared quite often. Gary is a close second, since he had a great personality and forced Ash to improve, but he rarely appeared.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

My pick would be Paul. Paul seems to be the only one that really pushes Ash all the way. Furthermore, he has lots of trick up his sleeves such as sacrificing his first few Pokemon just to find out his competitors tactics, line up, etc.

I'd say Gary was the coolest Rival for Ash. Paul was a bit more harsh but Gary was good trainer to his pokemon despite picking on Ash at the same time. The last battle that they had
    in the indigo league is still the best rival battle to me.

Who the heck voted for Bianca and Trip...

I had a toss up between Gary and Paul, but ultimately choose Paul for one reason, he actually represents the player audience perfectly. Wanting the best Pokemon, leaving nothing unevolved, and developing unique strategy's...
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Paul and then Gary.

Trip was more of a friendly rival.

I can't believe people like paul. He was a jerk. Gary is where it's at!
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

I loved Paul, he had this strict training that has him releasing something that he deems "not by his standards" just like stereotypical competitive players do. I also think he had a great voice.

I like them all, but I liked Gary the most. Paul was Ash's coolest rival, while Trip was the most calm and collected. Gary was the funniest and original, so the nod for me goes to him.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

i would say trip and paul there really cool rivals for ash

Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    I can't believe people like paul. He was a jerk. Gary is where it's at!
    We like the character we are apreciating the character and how it was written, if it was real life I wouldn't have a good opinion on him, its fiction we measure the quality of the character not how good or bad it is but how good it is at the purpose it was made for.
    Last edited by Pepsi_Plunge; 1st June 2013 at 7:06 PM.

Paul by far. Paul's determination to beat Ash fueled by the fact that Ash beat the trainer that beat his brother and Ash's determination fueled by Paul's ruthless training tactics that are the opposite of Ash's and abandoning Chimchar which eventually proves to be the strongest Pokemon on Ash's team.

I can't see Trip being the best rival. He was poorly done and it was obvious the writers wanted to ignore him as they didn't show his other 4 pokemon, had Conkeldurr lose every battle as well as having Trip lose in the 1st round of the Unova League.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicX28 View Post
    Paul by far. Paul's determination to beat Ash fueled by the fact that Ash beat the trainer that beat his brother and Ash's determination fueled by Paul's ruthless training tactics that are the opposite of Ash's and abandoning Chimchar which eventually proves to be the strongest Pokemon on Ash's team.

I can't see Trip being the best rival. He was poorly done and it was obvious the writers wanted to ignore him as they didn't show his other 4 pokemon, had Conkeldurr lose every battle as well as having Trip lose in the 1st round of the Unova League.
    As far as in Sinnoh, I do think Paul was the best. But in BW where mostly everyone was morrons or some who didn't seem like they gave a rattata, I give Trip that title. I only judge on how the series was written. I wouldn't compared BW Ash as a good rivalry with Paul in the DP series because they were both written differently. As far as Kanto/IS/Johto goes, I liked Gary only to a point. But he started getting annoying and he appeared less and less. He at least appears more than any of Ash's other rivals. But I wish that whenever he does come back, that he would do something besides researching.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 11th June 2013 at 4:51 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    As far as in Sinnoh, I do think Paul was the best. But in BW where mostly everyone was morrons or some who didn't seem like that gave a rattata, I give Trip that title. I only judge on how the series was written. I wouldn't compared BW Ash as a good rivalry with Paul in the DP series because they were both written differently. As far as Kanto/IS/Johto goes, I liked Gary only to a point. But he started getting annoying and he appeared less and less. He at least appears more than any of Ash's other rivals. But I wish that whenever he does come back, that he would do something besides researching.
    You'd seriously put Trip above Stephan in BW?

Ash and Stephan was pretty much the only normal rivalry Ash had in BW.

Paul.

Pretty much all of DP was centered around their rivalry. They had very different ideals when it came to battling, and yet, both managed to learn from each other in the end.
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 1st June 2013 at 6:30 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast