Thread: A Return - an OU RMT

Default A Return - an OU RMT

Hi Serebii! It has been ages since I've played in the OU metagame. I took a long break from it to get more of a focus on the VGC metagame, which by now I failed to make it far enough in the series to continue aiming for worlds. Anyway, so after a tournament was released on another site, I decided to head back into this metagame, and see what I still can do. I only have a few more months to play in the 5th gen environment before gen 6 comes out. This team actually started out pretty sucky. On PO, I reached a rank of 1700, max. This is mostly because I wasn't exactly laddering. I used the same account I did from a long time ago. So, the points I gained were something around +2 to +5, so it would take forever to get up to top 100.

Without further ado, here's the team building Process:
        Spoiler:

In Depth Team Analysis:

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Bug Bite
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    This Scizor has really come through in many battles. It has 2 main roles: revenge killer and late game sweeper. Both of which it performs marvelously. The Choice Band set was, infact, considered. However, the Choice Band set really lacked the defenses that Scizor can use. It is a rather frail steel type, so it can use some buffed up defenses. With the defense EVs, it does a rather nice job of sweeping as well as safely coming in to take hits. Generally, Scizor can manage to pull off 2-3 Swords Dances thanks to Roost, and can sweep even Pokemon that resist his moves. Mid game, Scizor mainly can get off Bullet Punches and get small amounts of damage off where as late game, he can set up Swords Dances and sweep. I've managed to change the course of battles toward the end with this Scizor, and this is a good example of how well the overall team, as well as Scizor functions. As for the Synergy, Scizor has almost perfect synergy with both Gyarados and Heatran, who can take out Scizor's main counters - Skarmory, Infernape, and Heatran.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252HP /184 Def / 72 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Toxic
    - Stone Edge
    - Rapid Spin
    - Close Combat
    Hitmontop is one of the best rapid spinners I've used, and probably the most underrated one as well. This set was designed around getting rid of entry Hazards. Unlike most Hitmontops, I run a rather defensive spread, so I can spread intimidate and scare away Tyranitars. Toxic is actually a really useful move. With an exception to Skarmory, most opponents do not want to switch into a steel type to take on Hitmontop fearing the close combat, which allows Hitmontop to easily get off a toxic on the opponent. Plus, Toxic really brings out what lets this set stand out as a spinning one. Generally, opponents like to switch into their Ghost types to block Rapid Spin. By predicting this, and using Toxic, I can generally scare the opponent from regularly bringing in their Ghost. As for Gengar, due to its weak defenses, Stone Edge does a nice job against it. The main reason I do run Stone Edge is to be able to have a back up answer to Volcaronas, who also like to come in on Hitmontop. It brings in an easy KO, thanks to the bulk. The dual intimidate is great support for Scizor to get an easy set up. As for Synergy, Hitmontop depends on Heatran and Scizor to be able to take the Psychic moves.

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    I actually really like this Celebi. It is my direct answer to rain teams. A STAB Leaf Storm generally manages to take out any frail Pokemon who does not resist the attack as well as remove Politoed from the field early on, which will really help Heatran take on the non water types in rain slightly better. On top of that, a switch into Celebi while a Dragonite is setting up Dragon Dances can stop a sweep, which is rather helpful. Plus, Celebi does a nice job of scouting out the opponent's item through U-Turn. Earth Power is really there to predict the switches into Heatran, and hit back, and possibly OHKO or 2HKO them. With natural cure, Celebi doesn't really worry about Thunder Wave since it will just go away. And, Celebi can easily switch in on status effects and U-Turn out to get some momentum going.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Taunt
    - Waterfall
    - Roar
    - Thunder Wave
    This is a rather unconventional set for a Gyarados to run since most of them like to come in to set up Dragon Dances or just use Sleep Talk + Rest to force some switches on the opponent's side. But, it has its Purpose. Gyarados is my main answer to Volcaronas. Most Volcaronas do not come prepared to handle a Gyarados like they to do handle Heatrans, which allows Gyarados to quickly become a threat allowing me to spread around Thunder Waves. Gyarados also does a nice job of stopping set up and stall through the use of Thunder Wave and Taunt, which comes in handy when a Haxorus is attempting to get off Dragon Dances and a Toxicroak is attempting to Bulk Up. As for the EV spread, just like Hitmontop, the use of Intimidate allows Gyarados to run a more specially defensive set. Gyarados synergizes pretty well with Hitmontop and Celebi to take Rock and Electric attacks, respectively. And a combination of both is rather unlikely. And, as stated earlier, Gyarados is my main switch in to Keldeo, as he can resist Keldoe's STAB as well as shrug off Icy Wind and HP Ghost. By thunder waving Keldeo, it allows Celebi and Latios to handle Keldeo pretty well.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Recover
    Latios is one of the most prominent special threats in the current metagame. Any team that lacks a realiable steel type easily falls prey to Latios's LO boosted Draco Meteor, while Psyshock can deal with Chanseys and Blisseys to some extent (even doing 20%+ to some Heatrans). The main reason I ran Life Orb > Choice Specs on Latios was the need to continuously switch moves. I really do not like being stuck on Draco Meteor on any Steel type when I know that Surf can take them out. Surf can generally 2HKO Heatran, and non HP Ice ones fail to take Latios out. Thanks to recover, I don't mind Stealth Rocks and not very effective attacks. LAtios can surprisingly get off Recovers easily. Many Pokemon that are scared tend to run away giving me a free recover, and against Pokemon such as Heatran, who can't even touch LAtios, I can recover to shrug off the little damage HEatran can do. In the battle given earlier, Recover really came through for me while I was stuck in a mind game. Latios synergizes well with Heatran, and Hitmontop.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Lava Plume
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock
    Heatran turned out to be the main pivot of my team. to go into many of my Pokemon safely, I must first be able to bring Heatran into battle, who will attract Ground and Water attacks giving me switches into Latios and Gyarados. Thanks to most Pokemon for luring in Pokemon that Heatran checks, I can easily get off Stealth Rocks and spread around Toxics in battle, which will later allow me to get a safe set up and sweep with Scizor later on in battle. Lava Plume's 30% burn chance comes in extremely handy when the opponent prefers to send in Tyranitar to scare Heatran. After a Burn and an Intimidate from top, Tyranitar doesn't really seem so scary. The defenses are mainly focused on the special side due to the fact that I have 2 intimidate supporters, and the fact that Heatran like to take more special attacks than physical ones, which he can resist pretty easily. The main role for the Heatran would be to get off Rocks and status. Heatran synergizes rather well with Gyarados, which is mainly why I switched Celebi's item to scarf without much concern. Celebi can still come in when I need to get off a kill, but I mainly go into Gyarados and Latios.

Closing
    Overall, this team has served me rather well. I can easily win in most of the battles I've been playing in, and has gotten me into the semi finals of the tournament I was talking about earlier in this thread. I really do like this team, and it does have some unconventional sets that can really help me get ahead in battle.

However, I'd really like some advice on better EV spreads. I really hate running 252/252/4 now. Also, I'd like to apologize for the lack of description since I haven't done an RMT in a while. And, I am still rather rusty in this metagame, so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for reading, and/or rating!

Importable:
        Spoiler:
    Last edited by Shreyas; 13th May 2013 at 12:20 AM.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Wow your team is amazing, you've obviously put a lot of effort into it well done ^_^ and your gyarados set is quite ingenious I have to say.
    To me your ev set's are quite nice the only thing you could do is possibly moving 4HP IV's on scizor to Sp.Def I've found this makes quite a difference but I mainly use the choice band or offensive sword dance variant, and moving 4 from Hp and Sp.Atk on Heatran to speed just so you can outspeed opposing minimum speed heatran if the situation arises where it would be a bad idea to switch, you could also consider hp ice or dragon pulse over earth power for dragons I'm not sure who earth power grants you a KO on apart from non Sp.Def heatran :/ but thats it really your team shouldn't have any problem's.

You don't have a weather inducer of your own so I was just wondering what you do to venasaur in the sun? gyarados is semi-reliable and it cant really touch heatran but I have seen a few running earthquake for the sole purpose of hitting heatran :L Oh and you actually have put a substantial amount of description in comparison to others RMT's so no need to apologize
    White 2 FC: 0820 3759 9704
    FlawlessEvents: Movie14dw(HPice)AbramGAMESTPDW(HPice)SMR2012SPR2013

CHECK OUT MY SHOP-----> http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...s-Trade-thread

I am one of the elite four at the wifi league, check it out if you want to become a leader or get some badges
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...82-WiFi-League
    Badges I've won:

Thanks for the rate ;D

For Venusaur, they usually run a combination of HP Fire, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Growth, and Solarbeam. Venusaurs that do not run HP Fire can be taken out by Scizor, those that do not run either Sludge Bomb + Growth are taken out by Latios, those that do not have Earthquake can be taken out by Heatran. That's my general plan to take them out. It's actually kind of complicated to find out what exactly they run, but generally, I like to send in Heatran and switch out to Latios to scout for EQ. If it doesn't run EQ, that Venusaur will probably switch out. If it does run EQ, it will use it on Heatran. If it does have Earthquake, I'd switch it back out to Heatran. If he switches, he doesn't have Sludge Bomb, but if he stays in and uses Sludge Bomb, that is the key to come into Scizor. Now, I run into the problem of the Venusaur running sleep powder in which case, it probably will not run EQ. So far, this has been working out. In the case that I don't have the right Pokemon to take on Venusaur, I need to depend on a crit Bullet Punch, if that fails, I generally will lose. But, I don't see where a weather inducer would fit onto the team, and I actually avoided using one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    Thanks for the rate ;D

For Venusaur, they usually run a combination of HP Fire, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Growth, and Solarbeam. Venusaurs that do not run HP Fire can be taken out by Scizor, those that do not run either Sludge Bomb + Growth are taken out by Latios, those that do not have Earthquake can be taken out by Heatran. That's my general plan to take them out. It's actually kind of complicated to find out what exactly they run, but generally, I like to send in Heatran and switch out to Latios to scout for EQ. If it doesn't run EQ, that Venusaur will probably switch out. If it does run EQ, it will use it on Heatran. If it does have Earthquake, I'd switch it back out to Heatran. If he switches, he doesn't have Sludge Bomb, but if he stays in and uses Sludge Bomb, that is the key to come into Scizor. Now, I run into the problem of the Venusaur running sleep powder in which case, it probably will not run EQ. So far, this has been working out. In the case that I don't have the right Pokemon to take on Venusaur, I need to depend on a crit Bullet Punch, if that fails, I generally will lose. But, I don't see where a weather inducer would fit onto the team, and I actually avoided using one too.
    Ah I see so its generally a game of scouting and prediction really :P I wasn't trying to say you needed an inducer your team is fine without one I just brought it up because you couldn't knock off the speed boost :P
    White 2 FC: 0820 3759 9704
    FlawlessEvents: Movie14dw(HPice)AbramGAMESTPDW(HPice)SMR2012SPR2013

CHECK OUT MY SHOP-----> http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...s-Trade-thread

I am one of the elite four at the wifi league, check it out if you want to become a leader or get some badges
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...82-WiFi-League
    Badges I've won:

I've got a HUGE problem against a Bulk Up Toxicroak. The only way I can even think of handling it would be to set up swords dances with Scizor first, which is extremely unlikely. Gyarados isn't bad against one, but it can't even touch a Toxicroak. I feel like Gyarados should really get Earthquake, so it can take a Toxicroak 1 on 1, but all the moves it has now gives me some reallly nice utility, which I'd like to keep. I can also give EQ to Hitmontop, but it leaves it extremely vulnerable to Volcarona and Gengar, which I'd really like to avoid too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

EDIT: I just thought that I can maybe run Substitute on LAtios as well, which can save me against scarf revenge killers that switch in, but getting rid of Surf doesn't sound like a good idea.

Gyarados seems to handle Croak well in terms of forcing it out. If it runs Bulk Up, it probably doesn't run Ice Punch and you can just Roar it out. If it has Ice Punch and SD, it can't 2HKO without SR. If Gyarados goes, then I don't know who takes care of it. It can only set-up on Celebi/Hitmontop. You try making Top a little more offensive and use EQ>Toxic. This also KOs Heatran, but opens you up to Latios and stuff. I'd also suggest a Ev spread of 252HP /184+ Def / 68 SDef if you really hate Toxicroak as this prevents a +1 Croak from 2HKO Top after SR.

This opens you up to Jellicent, so you could use Tbolt>Surf on Latios. Gyarados walls Tran pretty hard as is. TBolt 2HKO's Jellicent and alleviates some pressure from Celebi in handling bulky waters.

I don't think Sub+Recover on Latios would work because Latios works via the coverage it has. Sub+Recover helps against Toxicroal, but makes it severly inferior as a Latios
    Last edited by Hakallowin; 11th May 2013 at 11:31 PM.

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Thanks for the rate!

I'll go ahead and test out that new Hitmontop and Latios to see how it works out. Thanks again!

I'll go ahead and bump this thread with a few changes:
    1. That spread for Hitmontop has been slightly helpful when it comes to handling Jirachi. I haven't faced a single Toxicroak in a while, which is sort of disappointing.
    2. Thunderbolt/Surf doesn't seem to make too much of a difference on Latios since I have not yet been in a situation where either would be needed. But, I have concluded that Surf is slightly more useful since it can get a little extra power going up against rain, and Water is just a nice type to have in general.
    3. Toxic needs to stay on top. The lack of toxic makes him lose some of the utility, which comes in really handy since Jellicents are more likely to come in against top than against Latios.

thanks for all the rates so far! Keep them coming!

Bumping. Any other input?